Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:52 am

ludi wrote:
"Chilly" is a normal word here. Falls somewhere between cool and cold.

I think this is universal? This is how i'd describe it too.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Krogoth
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:20 am

I always thought it refer to the wind chill being noticeable enough to cause chills.
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x8GiB of G.Skill DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Corsair CX-750M V2 and Fractal Define R4 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:27 am

Krogoth wrote:
I always thought it refer to the wind chill being noticeable enough to cause chills.

That's a strangely narrow definition. Whatever works, though.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:43 am

my interpretation if a meteorologist is saying it is generally that it's cold independent of wind as opposed to 'gusty' or similar
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 5 2600X | RX 570 | 16 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB
Sempron 2650@1.45GHZ | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 10

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:55 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
The Egg wrote:
No.....I know parents use it when talking to their kids; I'm mainly referring to its use in weather forecasting. My fault for not really clarifying that.

Downstate too. Also old people say it all the time. Guess who watches TV over the air still. ;)

I've noticed older people using it alot as well. That doesn't really bother me (because we're all kids to them), it's moreso when the word is used in a professional application such as forecasting (especially in the written form).

Similar to if they had a doctor on TV diagnosing someone with "a case of the sniffles".

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:26 am

I think you just need to chill out. :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

superjawes

Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:42 am

just brew it! wrote:

I heard they make a pill for that.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:55 pm

superjawes wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I heard they make a pill for that.

There's a cool plant that was legalized in Canada recently that's p solid too ;)
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 5 2600X | RX 570 | 16 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB
Sempron 2650@1.45GHZ | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 10

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:06 pm

The Egg wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
The Egg wrote:
No.....I know parents use it when talking to their kids; I'm mainly referring to its use in weather forecasting. My fault for not really clarifying that.

Downstate too. Also old people say it all the time. Guess who watches TV over the air still. ;)

I've noticed older people using it alot as well. That doesn't really bother me (because we're all kids to them), it's moreso when the word is used in a professional application such as forecasting (especially in the written form).

Similar to if they had a doctor on TV diagnosing someone with "a case of the sniffles".

I've seen this episode of House I think.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:55 pm

TIL: lots of CPU cores + a process with hundreds of threads that make heavy use of the heap + the version of malloc() in Debian 9 = bad news

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:46 am

Interesting! Let me guess, malloc() has some locking going on while updating its lists and the performance just goes in the toilet?

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:12 am

notfred wrote:
Interesting! Let me guess, malloc() has some locking going on while updating its lists and the performance just goes in the toilet?

Close. We're actually seeing memory bloat (ultimately resulting in OOM kills), but it is lock-related. If malloc() encounters lock contention on all existing heap arenas it creates a new arena, up to a limit of 8x the number of CPU cores. So lots of wasted RAM. Capping the arena count at a lower value prevents the bloat, but hurts performance.

The weird thing is, the heap arena management logic doesn't seem to have changed much. So this appears to be an indirect effect of something else which is causing us to contend on the heap locks more than we used to in Debian 8, causing the number of arenas to balloon. What we know is that the issue is definitely tied to the version of glibc being used, and the heap code is definitely a player in the mess.

Looks like this version may also be less aggressive about trimming unused space from the end of arenas and returning that unused space to the OS, which would also tend to aggravate the issue. If I had to speculate, maybe this was done to reduce the number of syscalls, to mitigate the performance penalty of the Meltdown patches...

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:33 pm

The Egg wrote:
US grounds all 737 MAX 8 and 9 flights.
Some additional reading material for those interested (sorry for all the in-line videos).
Pilots Complained About The 737 MAX In A Federal Database

This isn't looking good for Boeing, if correct:

https://jalopnik.com/recent-boeing-737-max-crashes-may-be-the-result-of-a-si-1833380459
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:43 pm

ludi wrote:
The Egg wrote:
US grounds all 737 MAX 8 and 9 flights.
Some additional reading material for those interested (sorry for all the in-line videos).
Pilots Complained About The 737 MAX In A Federal Database

This isn't looking good for Boeing, if correct:

https://jalopnik.com/recent-boeing-737-max-crashes-may-be-the-result-of-a-si-1833380459

Single point of failure is a big no-no for any critical flight control systems. Boeing and the FAA both share blame for this if it turns out to be correct.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:44 am

just brew it! wrote:
ludi wrote:

Single point of failure is a big no-no for any critical flight control systems. Boeing and the FAA both share blame for this if it turns out to be correct.

As bad as it would be (and that’s to say, really really bad), I think changing a core flight characteristic of the #1 selling commercial passenger jet while saying almost nothing is worse still. Reason being, even with a single point of failure going out, it likely would not have resulted in a crash if the plane behaved as all previous versions had, or if the pilots were aware and/or had been retrained.

The only thing Boeing seems to have had redundancy with is 10/10 scale failures.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:48 am

The Egg wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
ludi wrote:

As bad as it would be (and that’s to say, really really bad), I think changing a core flight characteristic of the #1 selling commercial passenger jet while saying almost nothing is worse still. Reason being, even with a single point of failure going out, it likely would not have resulted in a crash if the plane behaved as all previous versions had, or if the pilots were aware and/or had been retrained.

Yes, this definitely exacerbates the initial poor design decision. Especially when the system in question is one where a failure during takeoff requires quick, decisive action by the pilot to avert a fatal mishap.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:37 am

just brew it! wrote:
Especially when the system in question is one where a failure during takeoff requires quick, decisive action by the pilot to avert a fatal mishap.
It's not operating during takeoff, it only operates once the flaps are up.

In a way this is worse because takeoff is such a critical phase of flight that the pilots are primed and ready to respond. They have to do a number of simulator exercises regularly including failures around takeoff. Once they've taken off and are cleaning up the aircraft for the climb, they are beginning to relax a bit on the aircraft trying to kill them and are now thinking about where they are going in terms of flying the departure and climb.

They really messed up with the single sensor! There are 2 sensors present but the MCAS switches from one side to the other on each flight. I believe the updated software was going to take the input from both sensors and if there was a significant difference then it would disable MCAS. Critical stuff on aircraft have 3 sensors so you know which is correct and which is wrong.