Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:38 pm

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:25 am

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22tast ... le+meat%22

Three words that you do not expect to see used in combination.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:21 am

just brew it! wrote:
https://www.google.com/search?q=%22tasty+spreadable+meat%22

Three words that you do not expect to see used in combination.

I mean paté is amazing.

... Spam not so much
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 5 2600X | RX 570 | 16 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB
Sempron 2650@1.45GHZ | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 10

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:56 pm

Notre Dame Cathedral (yes, the one in Paris) is burning,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8yyiEfHIRA

EDIT: Nave is completely gutted; the bell towers were saved. All three rose windows (with pieces dating back to the mid 1200s) are gone. Cultural catastrophes don't come much larger. No real news on cause, but renovations were in progress so an errant construction worker seems to be the lead theory.

The one time I got to go to Paris, on a high school trip (circa 1978), we couldn't visit Notre Dame as the tourist staff were on strike.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:45 pm

‪Bad news: power went out. Good news, UPS on the NAS worked as it should have. I hadn’t gotten around to testing that yet. ‬

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:54 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
‪Bad news: power went out. Good news, UPS on the NAS worked as it should have. I hadn’t gotten around to testing that yet. ‬
The severe thunderstorms tested mine yesterday.
i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70+U2410, RK-9000BR, MX518

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:35 am

Captain Ned wrote:

EDIT: Nave is completely gutted; the bell towers were saved. All three rose windows (with pieces dating back to the mid 1200s) are gone. Cultural catastrophes don't come much larger. No real news on cause, but renovations were in progress so an errant construction worker seems to be the lead theory.

The one time I got to go to Paris, on a high school trip (circa 1978), we couldn't visit Notre Dame as the tourist staff were on strike.

It appears that most of the damage was structural and not many truly historical pieces were lost. It could have been much, much worse. Still a horrible situation.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:36 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
The severe thunderstorms tested mine yesterday.

My wife's PC is on the other side of the wall from the UPS. I'm tempted to ghetto-rig it and have the power run through the wall to plug into the UPS rather then buy a 2nd one. It was only out for about 5 seconds.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:25 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

It appears that most of the damage was structural and not many truly historical pieces were lost. It could have been much, much worse. Still a horrible situation.

I agree it could've been a lot worse, but the structure itself also is historical. The spire was nearly 2 centuries old. The roof (also now completely obliterated) was from the Middle Ages. Sections of the ceiling in the main chamber have apparently collapsed as well. I imagine the smoke and water damage to the remaining structure is also quite extensive.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:03 am

The oak beams were from primary growth forest and 100ft in length. There aren't any trees left that will produce beams of that size in France.

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:35 am

I'm wondering about the hazmat aspect. A lot of that lead roof sheeting must have melted, and now the question is, Where all did it go before solidifying?

I also wonder if the rebuild will use steel girders and copper sheeting to strengthen and lighten the new roof. Some of the stone up there must have been weakened by the heat, and may need the structural reinforcement.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Krogoth
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:41 am

It is probably going to get torn down or become a "Parthenon". Repairing/restoration is going likely end-up being cost-prohibitive.
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x8GiB of G.Skill DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Corsair CX-750M V2 and Fractal Define R4 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:52 am

Krogoth wrote:
It is probably going to get torn down or become a "Parthenon". Repairing/restoration is going likely end-up being cost-prohibitive.

Uhm, what are you talking about?

Even aside from being a Catholic icon, this is one of France's primary tourist attractions. So far the official assessment is that it is structurally sound, moreover it hasn't even finished cooling and already $300m has been pledged in a worldwide fundraiser.

For that matter, it's not even that big by modern building standards, it's just very unique. Dresden Frauenkirche was fully rebuilt from a post-WW2 "Parthenon" condition starting in the 1990s, there's plenty of precedent and technique for projects like this.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Krogoth
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:11 am

ludi wrote:
Krogoth wrote:

Even aside from being a Catholic icon, this is one of France's primary tourist attractions. So far the official assessment is that it is structurally sound, moreover it hasn't even finished cooling and already $300m has been pledged in a worldwide fundraiser.

For that matter, it's not even that big by modern building standards, it's just very unique. Dresden Frauenkirche was fully rebuilt from a post-WW2 "Parthenon" condition starting in the 1990s, there's plenty of precedent and technique for projects like this.

The political and economic landscape of current France is very dicey at best. Pledge =! Commitment. I'm just saying that I wouldn't be too surprised if they end-up would giving up on restoration/repairing for cost and political reasons.
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x8GiB of G.Skill DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Corsair CX-750M V2 and Fractal Define R4 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:32 am

ludi wrote:

Yeah the Parthenon wasn't rebuilt because what did the Ottomans care? It burnt/blew up because they put an ammo dump in it.

The Greeks have been restoring it, but in the past century they've been mostly occupied fighting those same Ottomans, plus the nazis, and internally the communists, etc..

Once things calmed down enough, essentially in my lifetime, for that restoration to finally become possible--well they're broke. Plus relatively corrupt. It's hard. Also essential decorative elements are in other countries, and as much as the Greeks would really like them back, whelp.

EDIT: to be clear, that pediment will -NEVER- have "reconstructed" sculptures on it unless someone like nukes London and thereby renders the issue moot. The "restoration" will remain deliberately and HIGH-VISIBILITY incomplete of any element that is currently anywhere else. They're not going to undermine their own complaint, and they're going to point every empty alcove to every tourist, whether that tourist originates from an offending nationality or not.

ludi wrote:

Yup.

The ones they didn't rebuild (e.g. Kaiser Wilhelm etc..), or rebuilt differently(famously Coventry) next to the ruins were left like because by the time it was feasible to do something (i.e. we have all the de-housed re-housed), people thought they were more fitting as memorials.

And plenty of cathedrals were partially rebuilt after blast and fire damage . Cologne is a famouse one. It was wrecked but still standing, much like Notre Dame.

Reconstruction is not a big deal. We built an entire medieval-style Cathedral here in the US just after the turn of the 20th century. They call it the National Cathedral, you can check it out in Washington DC. It is solely maintained from private funds: there's really isn't anything "National" about it in any official legal sense.

I mean, people really want to rebuild Notre Dame. I have no idea why we built the National Cathedral from scratch in the first place.

So this is totally possible, and it's already announced as policy priority of Macron's government and it has numerous extremely wealthy private backers vouching funds.

Why wouldn't it happen?

You have to understand that all of these of buildings are basically being rebuilt perpetually anyway. The reconstruction maintenance never really stops, and when does because of funding, it probably shouldn't. That aforementioned National Cathedral, barely a hundred years old, needs serious repairs. It's essentially continuous.

Anyway, Notre Dame burnt up almost certainly because they -WERE- rebuilding it already as I just discussed: That scaffolding wasn't left there from the 13th century.

Krogoth wrote:
The political and economic landscape of current France is very dicey at best. Pledge =! Commitment. I'm just saying that I wouldn't be too surprised if they end-up would giving up on restoration/repairing for cost and political reasons.

They have hundreds of millions in euros already in the bag from private sources and the fire hadn't even started at this time of day yesterday.

Obviously our common law is not their droit civil but the generic concept of our promissory estoppel is a fairly universal one.

Why wouldn't this happen?

How expensive do you even think this is?

Let's scope a napkin-number: Half a billion.

They can't scrape half a billion together?

Especially when this clearly isn't going to be "done" in a year or two, but more like a decade or two?

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:17 pm

It'll be rebuilt. No question.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:25 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
It'll be rebuilt. No question.

QFT. It won't, obviously, be the exact same but it will be rebuilt 155454514586%. How you could even think it wouldn't is pretty crazy.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:27 pm

Apparently Le Monde is now reporting pledges are up to almost $1bn US.

Ironically the fire will probably save it. As long as it was deteriorating slowly, nobody took the problem too seriously.

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:31 pm

I hope that they earmark a small portion of the reconstruction funds for the fire protection that should have been installed a century ago.
i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70+U2410, RK-9000BR, MX518

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:38 pm

Krogoth wrote:

ludi wrote:
Apparently Le Monde is now reporting pledges are up to almost $1bn US.

life comes at you fast
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:00 pm

I would also like to elucidate further: In our legal system this sort of pledge does in fact equal commitment (more or less).

Sure, if you renege on the PBS pledge drive you won't get that cool tote and that's about it.

If you pledge several million to a charity and they come around asking just where the money is, no, you can't just say "sike!" and show them the door.

They can come back with a court order because legally such a pledge IS a commitment provided they, with reasonable belief, relied upon it.

As I said, this is called promissory estoppel and though that reliance encompasses the further concept of detriment, certain jurisdictions and courts can be really loose on that: "detriment" can simply mean they would have campaigned for more funds if you hadn't proffered yours. (I.e. effectively always!)

The courts also really aren't interested in clearly establishing the precise pattern for successful disingenity when endeavoring toward false charity, so while I have to say (more or less) the more is basically reserved for whenever they get the whiff of duplicity and the less for legitimate cases of misfortune or miscalculation.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:37 pm

But as they are French citizens in France pledging to a French cause, USA law is irrelevant. You would need to discuss whether this is "gage" or "nantissement" first.

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:04 pm

notfred wrote:
But as they are French citizens in France pledging to a French cause, USA law is irrelevant. You would need to discuss whether this is "gage" or "nantissement" first.

Again, as I explicitly said in my initial post, they assuredly have a similar concept. And this isn't "USA" law, it's a common law concept. And, guess what? There are USA jurisdictions (Louisiana) which don't use the Common Law, but rather the Napoleonic code much like France. Sure, if you bring this in the bayou they'l probably law-snark at you for introducing foreign concepts unknown to their law, but this really about a very generic principle of justice and most of the differentiation is to get around idiosyncratic doctrinal rigidities towards realizing universal concepts of equity: I'm guessing you're still not going to get very far.

I'm not a lawyer in THIS country, let alone any OTHER country, but neither is the person I was responding to. But we're both citizens of this country, so I think it is fitting to respond to their generic invocation of "pledge != commitment" with the point that such a statement is generally not true (different systems of law still have the same sort of people with the same sort of problems and therefore tend towards the same sort of solutions) and that it typically is *specifically* not true in our country (which, in my second post, I was also explicit and direct about: "in our legal system").

So, heh, I advise everyone here to avoid "detrimental reliance" on it.

Yes, I realize that France is a different country. But unless anyone here is actually a French lawyer, OK, where do we go from there?

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:27 pm

Glorious wrote:
OK, where do we go from there?

Back to snippets of conversation like DYMT is supposed to be :lol:

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:31 pm

Krogoth wrote:
I'm just saying that I wouldn't be too surprised if they end-up would giving up on restoration/repairing for cost and political reasons.

You fail to understand several things.

First, Gallic pride. The €1 billion pledged so far is just from a few really rich guys. This is Holy Week, and the next Sunday after the fire is Easter. My guess is that French churches will be full and the collection plates will be very heavy. I would not be at all surprised to see the small donor totals eventually outpace the corporate donations. Even the secular French will contribute what few sous they may have to bring her back.

Second: Notre-Dame de Paris may be French and may be Roman Catholic, but it is not exclusively either or both. No, she is part of the cultural patrimony of Man. I have no doubt that she will be restored. The world will not let it be otherwise.

EDIT: What's distressing is that, even at this point, there doesn't seem to be an authoritative listing of what survived and what didn't, by which I mainly mean the three Rose windows and the organ.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:55 am

Amusing to see Rolling Stone advocating for not restoring it to original condition. For a publication that's supposedly based in appreciating the arts, they're being very anti-art on this topic.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/cu ... xt-822743/

Modern architects all be like "new is always better, and these beautiful, historic structures make my life's work look insignificant. So let's replace the them with 100-story glass-and-metal boxes"
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:11 am

Captain Ned wrote:
EDIT: What's distressing is that, even at this point, there doesn't seem to be an authoritative listing of what survived and what didn't, by which I mainly mean the three Rose windows and the organ.

"The iconic rose windows of Notre Dame Cathedral are in "good shape" but the gables above the centuries-old glass remain unstable, fire officials said Wednesday."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/notr ... ay-n995356

Haven't heard anything about the organ yet, unfortunately. The windows are so amazing. Even if they're not 100% untouched, it does sound like they'll at least be able to repair them. Thank goodness.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:28 am

Organ is reported as intact, but we will have to see if heat and water affected it.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:19 pm

Add Ubisoft to the donor list for the Notre Dame rebuild.

https://kotaku.com/ubisoft-pledges-more ... 1834110129

They're also making AC Unity free to download for the next week.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:15 pm

So on my work monitors I have to choose between 100hz @ YCbCr442 or 60hz YCbCr444. I'm leaning towards the latter. I assume it's a bandwidth issue.