Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:57 pm

I lost my SD card and reader somehow for my dash cam. :roll: had a near incident when a truck casually and slowly pulled out of a driveway when I was doing 55. I just wanted to review the situation but I think I tossed the card, which I had removed to copy, when I was cleaning the truck for service.

I have an excuse to upgrade to something with WiFi and hopefully remove a few of the quirks my setup had. Let the hours of research begin. :D
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:13 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
So on my work monitors I have to choose between 100hz @ YCbCr442 or 60hz YCbCr444. I'm leaning towards the latter. I assume it's a bandwidth issue.

I think you mean 422, but yeah, I'd rather have 444 on a work monitor probably. I dunno. I live in the 120Hz world, but I could probably tolerate 60Hz at work.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil First Class

Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:17 pm

Posting from my new apartment.

(Sadly,my old purchased Netgear CM500V voice modem died...the replacement rental is a Cisco gateway modem.)

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:33 pm

I put in an hour of research and this seems to fit all the bills. wifi video downloading, gps, and good video.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075QBPJ96
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:42 pm

I just finished watching the season 3 of The Grand Tour. I can sympathize with the folks that say Andy Wilman's jokes have gotten tired and repetitive, but I believe that Clarkson, May and Hammond are still great at what they do.
i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70+U2410, RK-9000BR, MX518

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:32 pm

Tonight's severe thunderstorms are giving my UPS units a longer test. I've already run down the gaming OC, but the unit powering the NAS, router, cable modem,Ooma, TiVo and Amazon Dot isn't taxed as hard as the one trying to feed a Core i7-9700K, a Radeon RX Vega64 and two monitors.
i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70+U2410, RK-9000BR, MX518

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:42 am

Amazon is still running an amateur act with their Business accounts. They repeatedly attempt to make deliveries on weekends and after hours (7:30pm, etc), with no way (that I can find) for businesses to specify the times they're able to accept deliveries. This, combined with many businesses being closed certain weekdays; I can't imagine the amount of resources they're wasting overall.

Edit: Scratch that, they quietly added the feature to turn off weekend deliveries over the last month or so. Still no ability to set times or other days though.

Krogoth
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:57 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Tonight's severe thunderstorms are giving my UPS units a longer test. I've already run down the gaming OC, but the unit powering the NAS, router, cable modem,Ooma, TiVo and Amazon Dot isn't taxed as hard as the one trying to feed a Core i7-9700K, a Radeon RX Vega64 and two monitors.

IMO, I would think that UPS is a bit excessive for a gaming rig unless you are a progamer who cannot afford downtime in a scrim/match.
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x8GiB of G.Skill DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Corsair CX-750M V2 and Fractal Define R4 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:19 am

Krogoth wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:

IMO, I would think that UPS is a bit excessive for a gaming rig unless you are a progamer who cannot afford downtime in a scrim/match.

Kinda depends on how reliable your power is. We used to live in a town where the power would glitch or brown out multiple times a week. Really annoying even on a non-critical system. Where I live now, we can (and do) get by without UPSes on most of the PCs, and it's generally fine.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:03 am

Thunderstorms are very frequent in this area. The UPSes log hundreds of power events every year. The gaming PC is plugged into one of these. I don't normally intend it to need to run the PC for more than a couple of minutes. Blips from lightning or switching are very brief. Trees on the line usually clear in under a minute. The UPS keeps the PC going for 8 to 20 minutes, depending on how hard the PC is working. Last night's 3-hour outage meant that I got to see Windows gracefully hibernate when the battery ran down. It was late enough that I probably should have stopped playing anyway. This morning, Windows resumed right where it left off.

The five year-old smaller UPS powering the network components and TiVo held up for a full hour before it gave out. That's not bad for a unit that's probably overdue for a new set of SLA batteries.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:38 pm

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:36 pm

I got my replacement dashcam and it seems to be working nicely, does anyone want my old one? Occasionally someone here is poking around for a dash cam. I won't give it to a coworker for liability concerns :roll:

Any way, i think it's the V1 of this camera https://www.amazon.com/Street-Guardian- ... B00U0OJMYG

I don't know what the version differences are but it's mostly the same. It'll only be the camera and the cable to power it. I trashed everything else including the sd card by accident. So you'll need your own sd card and some creative way of mounting it, mine was velcro. It's free but due to the trucking life the shipping time could be extremely long. Just pm me.

Sample goodies.

*Edit camera claimed 8)

Last edited by Heiwashin on Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When drunk.....

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:14 pm

It looks like beer is necessary for society to run smoothly...
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:51 am

I don't think i will be helping anyone in future as far as job is concerned.

Couple of months back my neighbour came up to me for help, he was looking for a job. I refereed him to my friend's firm. My neighbour worked there for 1 week but for some unknown reason\ left the job without giving any notice. Now he wants to get paid for 1 week work and my friend had informed him prior to joining that if he lives without giving any notice he will not get paid.

Today my neighbour messaged me that he is going to call cops on me. WTF... :roll:

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:49 am

^ What a jacka**. I suppose if you wanted to look on the bright side, with that sort of behavior he won't be able to keep a job, and eventually he'll be having issues paying rent and will have to leave. I'm always fairly cautious about who I recommend for jobs, as it does reflect on you.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:27 am

He sounds a little unstable :lol:
When drunk.....

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:32 pm

PSA: MySQL 5.7 is being a huge pain in the ass. I've never had this much trouble just getting a few local databases up and running.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:47 am

Redocbew wrote:
PSA: MySQL 5.7 is being a huge pain in the ass. I've never had this much trouble just getting a few local databases up and running.

lmk if you need any quick tips/advice - I'm mostly a SQL Server guy but i've done end-to-end support of MySQL 5.7 a reasonable bit.
(I was a DBA for nine years before switching to a DB Developer role earlier this spring)
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 5 2600X | RX 570 | 16 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB
Sempron 2650@1.45GHZ | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 10

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:35 pm

Thanks for the offer. I did eventually get it working by using the skip_grant_tables trick to manually reset the root password. For some reason the stock install procedure provided with Ubuntu's package just wasn't working out properly. Not something I'd do on any box other than my own, but it worked.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:30 am

Ah, April 26th. Back in 1998, my friend was kind enough to download the Chernobyl Virus onto my main rig, which sat completely silent on the hard drive until it was time to execute the payload. I happened to be in the process of creating a new backup (and apparently didn't have enough space for both copies on whatever storage I was using). Partition nuked. No backup. Lost nearly everything.

I suppose it taught me a lesson about being more diligent with backups.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:23 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAAqKVEMVN0

That's one way to put your house up for sale. :lol:

superjawes

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:34 am

This is the Bad Place!

It's like they found a list of bad ideas and put every single one of them into the movie.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:46 am

superjawes wrote:
This is the Bad Place!

It's like they found a list of bad ideas and put every single one of them into the movie.

I'm sure the trailer is just the tip of the iceberg.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:53 am

superjawes wrote:
This is the Bad Place!

That wasn't The Onion?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

superjawes

Thu May 02, 2019 6:50 pm

On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Fri May 03, 2019 11:13 pm

ludi wrote:
superjawes wrote:
This is the Bad Place!

That wasn't The Onion?

I wish it was. It never fails to make me wonder how good actors get signed on for movies like this. Neal McDonough plays Buck Compton in Band of Brothers, Robert Quarles in Justified, a bunch of DC stuff, and then.... this?

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat May 04, 2019 12:49 pm

It looks pretty bad to me and Sonic is probably 20 years past his prime, but at the same time it looks like the kind of movies that succeed in China. Remember that mediocre Warcraft movie that was a box office bomb? It did fairly well in China, well enough that a sequel may happen.

Same story with the Transformers movies and the Fast and the Furious series. They get kind of crummy reviews and good, but not great box office figures here, but then do really well in China.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Sat May 04, 2019 2:26 pm

just brew it! wrote:
superjawes wrote:
This is the Bad Place!

I'm sure the trailer is just the tip of the iceberg.

It looked like a horrific groan-fest until I saw Jim Carrey as Dr Robotnic. That's the perfect character for him. They should just cut him loose and let him do whatever crazy stuff he wants with the movie. Not like it can do any damage.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Sat May 04, 2019 8:17 pm

Coast G20 "Inspection" Flashlight

I impulse-bought one of these at the hardware store for $10 the other day, and I gotta say, I'm flippin impressed. It has a lens-filter which somehow "lowers the glare" (it actually does to a degree, compared to my other flashlights), and the light cone is completely uniform in brightness with laser-sharp edges. You'd almost have to see it in person to get a full appreciation for how slick it is. Glad I grabbed one, and just ordered another on Amazon.

At $10, these are my new standard-issue for PC building and electronics work.

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Sat May 04, 2019 9:22 pm

The world of flashlights is down a deep rabbit hole. Once you have flashlights that work reliably whenever you need them it’s hard to go back to the cheapo stuff that everyone else uses.

If you want to learn more, search for these websites (I won’t make it too easy by giving links; if you want to jump down the rabbit hole you’ll have to work for it):

Prometheus Lights
Fenix Lights
Zebra Light
Eagle Tac
Candlepower Forums
Surefire (if you want your flashlights explosion proof)

Don’t say I didn’t warn you...
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III