Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

Mr Bill
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Sat May 18, 2019 2:35 pm

The Egg wrote:
Does anyone else ever remember hearing robins going full-tilt at 2:30 in the morning? Because I sure don’t.

Around here its at 4:30 and it sure is annoying.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | WinXP64 Pro

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat May 18, 2019 4:02 pm

Mr Bill wrote:
The Egg wrote:
Does anyone else ever remember hearing robins going full-tilt at 2:30 in the morning? Because I sure don’t.

I can sleep through it but it drives my wife nuts.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat May 18, 2019 8:58 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Mr Bill wrote:
The Egg wrote:

I’ve gotta wonder if it has anything to do with the “blue spectrum light” that’s getting mentioned more frequently these days. Many towns and cities (mine included) have been replacing street lights with new LED models. Perhaps it’s screwing with the birds’ internal day/night detection. It could also be a lack of natural predators to put fear in their minds, or some combination thereof.

In any case, it seems to be only a few key offenders causing the racket, rather than the whole lot of them. I’ve been very tempted to teach the few nearest to me a painful (though not lethal) lesson with some airsoft BB’s, but a tall shadowy figure wandering around people’s front yards with what looks to be a gun at ~3:00am probably has alot of potential to go wrong.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat May 18, 2019 9:35 pm

Mr Bill wrote:
The Egg wrote:

It's around that time here too (south central KS). When I lived in Boston it was a bit later..5-6 usually.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun May 19, 2019 1:04 pm

The Egg wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Mr Bill wrote:

I’ve gotta wonder if it has anything to do with the “blue spectrum light” that’s getting mentioned more frequently these days. Many towns and cities (mine included) have been replacing street lights with new LED models. Perhaps it’s screwing with the birds’ internal day/night detection. It could also be a lack of natural predators to put fear in their minds, or some combination thereof.

In any case, it seems to be only a few key offenders causing the racket, rather than the whole lot of them. I’ve been very tempted to teach the few nearest to me a painful (though not lethal) lesson with some airsoft BB’s, but a tall shadowy figure wandering around people’s front yards with what looks to be a gun at ~3:00am probably has alot of potential to go wrong.

We just got back from a short trip (mini-vacation) to Washington, DC. There was a mockingbird near our hotel that decided to run through the repertoire of the entire local bird population in the middle of the night. :roll:

Changing the subject (DC tangent)... there's a bonsai at the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum which is just shy of 4 centuries old. It was passed down through generations of a bonsai-keeping family in Japan, survived the atomic bombing of Hiroshima, and was eventually gifted to the US for the bicentennial in 1976. I had no idea bonsais could live that long.

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Mon May 20, 2019 11:49 am

I was unprepared for how good I would feel after two consecutive nights of uninterrupted sleep.

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Mon May 20, 2019 12:43 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
I was unprepared for how good I would feel after two consecutive nights of uninterrupted sleep.

What did you do with/to the children?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Mon May 20, 2019 4:09 pm

ludi wrote:
Chuckaluphagus wrote:

What did you do with/to the children?

:D Took them to the beach on Saturday. The older one always sleeps through the night (he will likely sleep through Armageddon); the baby was completely wiped out after that, and has decided to try sleeping from 7:30 PM to 5 AM as an experiment for the past few nights. It's awesome.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Mon May 20, 2019 10:47 pm

md5(md5($some_string)) is not clever.

/rant
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue May 21, 2019 5:36 am

Redocbew wrote:
md5(md5($some_string)) is not clever.

/rant

Hey, at least they didn't claim that taking the MD5 of a 1-character string turns it into a secure password because then it's 32 characters long...

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Thu May 23, 2019 10:33 pm

They ought to use the steam which is generated off the pile of excrement that is iTunes to turn a turbine and power a small city. I can't think of a more infuriating piece of software.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Fri May 24, 2019 1:15 am

That and Acrobat reader have got to be pretty high up in the top 5, for sure.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri May 24, 2019 5:31 am

Redocbew wrote:
That and Acrobat reader have got to be pretty high up in the top 5, for sure.

If you really want to have some fun (if you're a masochist...) try getting Acrobat Reader working on a modern Linux distro. The last version which was released in a native Linux version was Acrobat Reader 9 (ancient), getting the library dependencies right is a royal PITA, and Adobe's Linux installer drops a broken command line completion plugin that borks the bash shell in subtle ways.

Unfortunately, last I checked none of the native Linux PDF solutions handled PDF forms properly. (Maybe this situation has improved by now.)

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil First Class

Sat May 25, 2019 6:01 am

Or for some real fun..try getting a working free VPN on Windows 10.

Cyberghost is junk now with version 7,and they stopped supporting version 6 to force you to upgrade to version 7.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri May 31, 2019 9:25 am

TIL: Python 2.x will silently allow you to compare a tuple and a list, but the results will not be what you expect.

And no, I didn't do this... a co-worker did, and broke the nightly build.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:21 am

Another "what"event. I've said before one of the reason I record this stuff is so I can evaluate incidents afterwards with an accurate accounting.

I was glancing at my gps as this person approached and didn't notice them until the car in the left lane started to move. At this point everyone's position created an extremely dangerous situation.
Luckily, Grammy wasn't really reacting to anything at all. Had incoming granny tried to avoid a collision by moving towards my lane just enough to cause hesitancy in the avoiding car, the probability of an incident would be nearly unavoidable, and I was in a prime position to hit one or both cars reacting to, or colliding with, each other.

In most cases, everyone has some ability to influence the outcome of serious accidents and I missed my opportunity to slow down and move over because I didn't look far enough ahead.

Legal liability, probably nothing, but a total professional failure.

Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:25 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Legal liability, probably nothing, but a total professional failure.

I don't know if I agree with that. An unexpected wrong-way driver at highway speeds isn't really something that can be accounted for. Heck, I replayed it a couple times, and without already knowing the outcome and where to look, there's a very low chance I catch that and fully understand the situation in time to do anything meaningful from your position. Without her daytime running lights and slight lane weaving, close to zero. Also, going around a curve like that, you might even mistake her for being on the other side.

Anyhow, probably not the worst thing to have maintained your lane and rate, so that others more nimble can better predict your position.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:34 pm

Last week was my first time trying maitake mushrooms. They're pretty good. The mushroom pizza with basil, garlic, and roasted tomatoes I made last night was pretty awesome.

However, you don't want to be around me when they come back out again. It's not the painful, obnoxious kind of gas, but it stinks. This is the sort of thing I'd feel bad about if it happened in a public bathroom. I haven't heard of that being a common thing, so consider this a PSA for any other foodies out there who might be interested. They're purportedly one of those foods which is supposed to cure everything, expect for that, I guess. :lol:

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:43 pm

Don't attempt to use a build that failed to pass nightly regression tests, and expect things to work! (No, wasn't me... was a co-worker who tripped over the issue my other co-worker I mentioned a few posts back caused... :lol:)

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:46 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Last week was my first time trying maitake mushrooms. They're pretty good. The mushroom pizza with basil, garlic, and roasted tomatoes I made last night was pretty awesome.

However, you don't want to be around me when they come back out again. It's not the painful, obnoxious kind of gas, but it stinks. This is the sort of thing I'd feel bad about if it happened in a public bathroom. I haven't heard of that being a common thing, so consider this a PSA for any other foodies out there who might be interested. They're purportedly one of those foods which is supposed to cure everything, expect for that, I guess. :lol:

I bet the garlic was also a contributing factor.

I don't think I've ever met a mushroom I didn't like. I'm particularly fond of shiitake; they're very savory (especially in dried form), with an almost meat-like texture.

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:37 pm

just brew it! wrote:
It's not the painful, obnoxious kind of gas, but it stinks. This is the sort of thing I'd feel bad about if it happened in a public bathroom. I haven't heard of that being a common thing,

Allium aftershocks. More common than you know. Ever since my digestion slowed down around age 30, I have to severely limit my intake of garlic and onions. The results otherwise are as you describe, plus everything for which Kaopectate was invented.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:17 pm

Fortunately, I've also tried making walnut bread for the first time recently which is also very good, and doesn't have any of the same side effects. :lol:

Good pizza is hard to beat, but I think I might even like this walnut bread better.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:24 pm

i've developed an addiction to freeze dried fruit. I love the crunchy light texture that some of them make.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:42 am

I know it’s been mentioned recently, but the volume of nag popups for free trial this, and 1 month trial that in YouTube has gotten to the point of pathetic. I feel like I’m using Realplayer, or Bonzai Buddy, or some shareware crap back in the bad old days. Seriously...begging for trials? This is the behavior of one of the largest, most profitable companies in the world? You’d think someone over there would feel a sense of shame.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:06 am

The Egg wrote:
I know it’s been mentioned recently, but the volume of nag popups for free trial this, and 1 month trial that in YouTube has gotten to the point of pathetic. I feel like I’m using Realplayer, or Bonzai Buddy, or some shareware crap back in the bad old days. Seriously...begging for trials? This is the behavior of one of the largest, most profitable companies in the world? You’d think someone over there would feel a sense of shame.

I imagine some of them do, but are still quite willing to cash the paychecks.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:36 am

Saw Saving Private Ryan in the theater last night in honor of the 75th Anniversay of D-Day. Still a powerful film. War is ugly.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:25 am

I just spent five minutes trying to figure out why Windows File Explorer was listing a folder titled "20190526" after "20190530". Obviously there was a misspelling somewhere, but after intently staring at it I couldn't see anything wrong. Walked away for a bit, came back, and boom I read a folder titled "21090526". Freaking eyes/brains man.

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:36 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Fortunately, I've also tried making walnut bread for the first time recently which is also very good, and doesn't have any of the same side effects. :lol:

Good pizza is hard to beat, but I think I might even like this walnut bread better.

I've gotten into the habit of making bread rolls a few times a week, with a dough I started back in February. Fresh bread is a wonderful thing.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:17 am

Why is Google asking me if Home Depot sells lemongrass?

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:41 pm

OK gerbils, I know someone here must know the answer to my quandary. My MiL's mail is now delivered to my house, and 4 of these were in the box today. Never seen anything like them:

It's the US Gov't property tag that intrigues me.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.