Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:59 pm

Is there any chance you have a fancy library doing something like that?

edit *Looks like i may have found it, looks a lot like this

https://www.loc.gov/nls/enrollment-equi ... -for-bard/
Last edited by Heiwashin on Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:02 pm

They came from some VT state library, yet the blue box has an embossed Library of Congress seal on its top.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:06 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
They came from some VT state library, yet the blue box has an embossed Library of Congress seal on its top.

Well according to that link it's primarily a blindness service, does she have problems reading?
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:55 am

If I had to guess, it’s an audiobook service provided by the library of Congress. My grandparents used to repair Braille machines for the LoC back in the day. My other grandma uses their audiobook service since she has gone blind. Never seen them in person though.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:33 am

I assume some of you already knew this, but for me it was a fascinating discovery: WWI fighter aircraft used an unusual (and obsolete) type of engine called a rotary engine. This is nothing like the Wankel rotary design which would later be popularized by Mazda; it used pistons like a normal ICE, but the entire crankcase (pistons included) revolved around a fixed crankshaft instead of the other way around. The propeller of the aircraft was connected directly to the revolving crankcase.

Advantages were less vibration, self-cooling (since the crankcase created its own airflow as it spun), and less weight (no need for a separate flywheel). Disadvantages were heavy oil use, massive gyroscopic effect from all that spinning mass, and poor throttle control.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:35 am

Rafa goin' off in the French Open final right now. Fun to watch.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:39 pm

Cruise vs. Beiber...what? No. Seriously. WHAT?

I've seen some strange stories, but this is a real head-scratcher.

Odds Shark have Cruise +150 and Beiber -200.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:54 pm

superjawes wrote:
Cruise vs. Beiber...what? No. Seriously. WHAT?

I've seen some strange stories, but this is a real head-scratcher.

Odds Shark have Cruise +150 and Beiber -200.

Surprised oddsmakers going with the shorter 56 year old in this one, though I guess the 'does his own stunts' cred matters
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 5 2600X | RX 570 | 16 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB
Sempron 2650@1.45GHZ | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 10

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:00 pm

I'm a Belieber.

Beiber. KO. Round 1.

"Never say never"

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:02 pm

Never going to happen. This is a lose-lose for Cruise. Same thing for Marky Mark.

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:08 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Never going to happen. This is a lose-lose for Cruise. Same thing for Marky Mark.

The Bieber wrote:
I will never say never! (I will fight)
I will fight till forever! (Make it right)
Whenever you knock me down
I will not stay on the ground

Justin is ready!

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:09 pm

If all else fails Cruise can just stay in his corner and rant scientology. No one can withstand that.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:12 pm

I agree with oddmakers favoring Tom "learn to fly a helicopter for a single stunt" Cruise, but yeah, this is a nevergonnahappen event. Cruise's face is too valuable to risk on something this stupid.

I'm still confused by the premise, though. Like, I haven't seen anyone report on some big Cruise/Beiber beef, yet this kid wants to pick a literal fight with one of the most recognizable faces in Hollywood?
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:13 pm

"Remember me? I STILL EXIST!"

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:19 pm

superjawes wrote:
I'm still confused by the premise, though. Like, I haven't seen anyone report on some big Cruise/Beiber beef, yet this kid wants to pick a literal fight with one of the most recognizable faces in Hollywood?

Sounds like a set-up for the return of Celebrity Deathmatch at the next Super Bowl halftime.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:21 pm

What a time to be alive.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:22 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
What a time to be alive.

I HATE EVERYTHING
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:37 pm

DancinJack wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
What a time to be alive.

I HATE EVERYTHING

I pass no judgment, I just want to see it happen. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:25 pm

Glorious wrote:

That's the one. Biebs transitioned from an adolescent heart-throb to Florida Man in a few very short years, and this sounds like an effort to gain attention in the Shia Labeouf style.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:25 am

Daughter left yesterday for her summer job, literally joining the circus (Circus Smirkus) on their summer tour as sound engineer. She texted me upon arrival at circus HQ that she had been assigned room #42. Somehow, I think this summer will work out just fine.

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:16 pm

ludi wrote:
Glorious wrote:

That's the one. Biebs transitioned from an adolescent heart-throb to Florida Man in a few very short years, and this sounds like an effort to gain attention in the Shia Labeouf style.

You can take the boy from Stratford but you can't take the Stratford from the boy

(if you've ever seen Letterkenney, the place it's based off of is a five minute drive from where the Biebs grew up)

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:29 pm

pikaporeon wrote:
You can take the boy from Stratford but you can't take the Stratford from the boy

(if you've ever seen Letterkenney, the place it's based off of is a five minute drive from where the Biebs grew up)

I'm Mike... from Canmore.

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:32 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
pikaporeon wrote:

I'm Mike... from Canmore.

thats three provinces over

(I miss the old air farce crew, Mike was played by John Morgan who passed in 2004. Roger Abbot, another original mainstay who played shorter rounder characters passed in 2011)

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:45 pm

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:19 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:

If you haven't been in a GameStop B&M store lately, you should. The two by me are probably 60% stuff sold on ThinkGeek. That's because GameStop has owned them for several years now.

Incidentally, I don't think this is a great move. GameStop's brand is well-disliked across the country. It might have been smarter to rebrand the whole company as ThinkGeek than do it the other way around.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:06 pm

It does make you wonder given that B&M outlets have been disappearing for quite some time now.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:55 am

just brew it! wrote:
I assume some of you already knew this, but for me it was a fascinating discovery: WWI fighter aircraft used an unusual (and obsolete) type of engine called a rotary engine. This is nothing like the Wankel rotary design which would later be popularized by Mazda; it used pistons like a normal ICE, but the entire crankcase (pistons included) revolved around a fixed crankshaft instead of the other way around. The propeller of the aircraft was connected directly to the revolving crankcase.

Advantages were less vibration, self-cooling (since the crankcase created its own airflow as it spun), and less weight (no need for a separate flywheel). Disadvantages were heavy oil use, massive gyroscopic effect from all that spinning mass, and poor throttle control.

In 1914 they were barely working self powered kites pushing maybe 100 hp.

4 years later and there were plenty of engines pushing 200 to 300 hp and planes pushing over a hundred feet in width.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeppelin- ... nflugzeuge
Main rig: Ryzen 1600, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:34 pm

The Egg wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:
Legal liability, probably nothing, but a total professional failure.

Anyhow, probably not the worst thing to have maintained your lane and rate, so that others more nimble can better predict your position.

Sorry for the late response but i've been mulling over a way to explain why it was a failure.

Talk to a 30 year trucking veteran with no accidents, and ask them about near misses. They'll have many many tales of people doing crazy things they narrowly avoided and complain about people being stupid in general. A mostly underwhelming discussion, because it's mostly uneventful.

If you ask a 30 year veteran with several accidents, he'll tell you about the impossible to avoid situations he was put in and that sometimes you just can't help getting in accidents. The phrase, "there's nothing i could do" pops up almost every time i have one of these. I've heard them go so far as saying things like, "you aren't a trucker until your first accident".

The thing about driving for 30 years, 100k miles or more a year, is that statistically you should have had several accidents. If you go by some of the publicly available information about injuries per 100 million miles, the average would be 2.something injury causing accidents in 3 million miles of driving. That's not even counting non injury ones because the data on those is sparse.

My point is that being a skilled professional driver means you should operate at a level above personal drivers and with an extended personal responsibility. The laws give me most of the same legal protections as personal vehicle drivers, but my responsibility is to protect the vehicle from the normal occurance of people driving stupidly. So far i've avoided 2 accident that i considered a high probability of fatality, and the previously linked video doesn't even fall in my category for that.

The first one was an old lady turning onto a road without stopping. The timelines of actions are difficult to explain and this was during a dashcam down time, but im entering an intersection at 55 mph as she's on the right 90 degree approach to the intersection and approaches her turn with red light. It probably should have been unavoidable except as she approached i looked into the car, noticed that she was old, wasn't looking at me, and the car didn't appear to be slowing. I started moving over a lane before she came out into the intersection. I posted about this before but i barely had time for my eyes to finish focusing on my left mirror to check for a clear lane before i swung the wheel, that's how close it was. Still, all of the information necessary to assess the risk was readily available, and i reacted to it, and so it was uneventful to everyone but me.

You might say it's unnecessary or difficult to gather that much information on the road all the time and run that much risk assessment but that's exactly the level long term accident free professionals are at. Nonetheless, i was a deer in headlights in the wrong direction lady video's situation which is totally unacceptable.

Driving a vehicle is, by far, the most dangerous situation people deal with on a daily basis. Don't let the fact that it's easy fool you into thinking you should approach it lightly. If you do you'll have to hope i'm not glancing at my gps when you make your mistake. :-?
When drunk.....

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:35 pm

Good thing I had a backup tin of anchovies. The first one was bulging like a tin of surstromming, so it went straight in the bin.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:44 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Good thing I had a backup tin of anchovies. The first one was bulging like a tin of surstromming, so it went straight in the bin.

Scary stuff. At best, could make you spend the next day on (or leaning over) the throne; at worst, could've killed you (botulism).

Anchovies seem to be a very polarizing thing. Even within my household we have three anchovy lovers and one anchovy hater. I happen to fall into the "love it" camp.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.