Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:50 am

Um, college days were 1981 to 1985. I lusted after a 4001 hanging on the wall at The House of Guitars in Rochester NY, but never could come up with a legal way to come up with the cash.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:55 am

Yeah and now you can't even see them on the walls as they're so far behind on production ;p
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 5 2600X | RX 570 | 16 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB
Sempron 2650@1.45GHZ | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 10

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:58 am

just brew it! wrote:
...so maybe cooler temperatures would tend to favor the yeast in a sourdough culture?

Yeah, they do. That's part of what makes sourdough so well suited to long proofing cycles at lower temperatures.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:02 pm

Makes sense, as San Fran is famed for its sourdough bread and local climate has to play a role in that.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:14 pm

Yeah, some people think there's some kind of regional variation that sets San Francisco sourdough apart from everything else, but I think it's much more likely that it was just based on climate. Before we had commercial bakers yeast everything was made using a natural starter, and without refrigeration it'd be hard to make sourdough in a place with a hot climate.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

farmpuma
Gold subscriber
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:37 pm

captaintrav wrote:
By half speed do you mean you couldn't even get 56k speeds? *shudder*

Yep, I couldn't even get close to 56k. I think the fastest I ever saw was 36k with typical running 24k to 31.2k and most common 26.4k. Paying a bill online was usually well over an hour with lots of page refreshes and finding something to do while the pages loaded.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

superjawes

Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:16 pm

Food fans: you may or may not know that Alton Brown is bringing back Good Eats, and it technically premiers this Sunday. However, Food Network have decided to put the full first episode on YouTube several days before that (on the 21st, actually). So if you're interested, check out the episode on Chicken Parm (part of the American Classics sub-series).
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:41 am

Thanks! We love Alton. Have most of his books and some of the DVD’s. Would love to collect them all but can be hard to find for cheap.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:48 pm

So I just returned a defective LED flashlight to Amazon via the returns drop-off service they offer through Kohl's, and that got me to wondering about something: Does Amazon actually pay Kohl's anything for providing this service, or is Kohl's doing this merely as a way to drive foot traffic to their B&M stores?

If you have a Kohl's in your neighborhood it's completely painless. Just walk up to the Amazon returns counter, hand them the item, and have them scan the QR code that Amazon sends to your phone. No need to even pack the item. Did it while I was out running some other errands.

Another curiosity: Amazon didn't make me send back a defective $100 HDD, but they made me send back a defective $15 flashlight? Seems a little inconsistent, but whatever...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

superjawes

Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:03 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Another curiosity: Amazon didn't make me send back a defective $100 HDD, but they made me send back a defective $15 flashlight? Seems a little inconsistent, but whatever...
Amazon: consistently inconsistent.

My first instinct would be to check the sellers, but no one wanted the $100 HDD? Not even to verify that it was defective?
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:16 pm

superjawes wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Amazon: consistently inconsistent.

My first instinct would be to check the sellers

Good point. The HDD was sold direct by Amazon, whereas the flashlight was a third party "fulfilled by Amazon" item. Another difference I just remembered: with the HDD, they made me do a real-time chat with a customer service rep before authorizing the replacement. So I guess either of those factors could have made the difference. Or maybe it was just random.

They did cross-ship the replacement flashlight (and the second one worked).

superjawes wrote:
but no one wanted the $100 HDD? Not even to verify that it was defective?

Nope. Actually got me wondering whether I could still RMA it to WD. (And no, I didn't do that.)

Redocbew
Gold subscriber

Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:21 pm

I think Amazon did away with the email support form in favor of the live chat thing. The last time I had to bug a real person at Amazon the live chat widget was the only way I could find to do it other than the dreaded phone queue.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:22 pm

It is probably more that the manufacturer dictates whether they want it back or not to pay Amazon for the defect.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:38 am

If Amazon doesn't want it back, I think you're in your right to RMA it and use the replacement. Better than just turning it into e-waste.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:56 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
If Amazon doesn't want it back, I think you're in your right to RMA it and use the replacement. Better than just turning it into e-waste.

Might as well. Sounds like it was Amazon's choice to decline the return shipment and take the write-off. If the OEM was involved in that decision, they will flag the S/N in their own system. If it's no longer eligible for warranty support, you'll find out in step one after entering the S/N into the RMA form. If they accept it, then you'll most likely get a refurb drive regardless, and yours will go into a reman queue.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:37 am

Babylon Bee - Popular New Craft IPA Just Bottle Of Pine-Sol

^ There ya go derFunk :lol:

Also, I'm quite happy to have stumbled across another Onion'esque site.

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:15 am

Honestly I'm pretty sure that is what gin is :D

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:44 am

The Egg wrote:

:lol:

Yeah, it does seem like some breweries release "stunt beers" where the only goal is to push some characteristic way beyond the bounds of good taste. "Dank" IPAs are another one; a few weeks ago we were at a local restaurant and my wife ordered an IPA neither one of us had tried before. When the waitress came and set it down it literally smelled like someone lit a joint at the next table.

The Egg wrote:
Also, I'm quite happy to have stumbled across another Onion'esque site.

They really seem to have a grudge against trendy craft beer styles: https://babylonbee.com/news/fda-recomme ... mmediately

Glorious wrote:

I think I drank way too much cheap gin in college; to this day I'm not a fan. I did sample some locally produced craft gin last night (we just happened to be at one of the local breweries when they offered a free tour of their new-ish distillery operation), and it was decent. They also have a pretty good rum, and an excellent coffee liqueur (they roast their own coffee as well). They are also getting into whiskey, but the distillery side of things is still new enough that the first batch is still aging so we couldn't try that.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:01 am

just brew it! wrote:
They really seem to have a grudge against trendy craft beer styles: https://babylonbee.com/news/fda-recomme ... mmediately

In their defense, pumpkin-spiced anything needs to die.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:18 am

Captain Ned wrote:

Except pie. Yum.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:21 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Except pie. Yum.

No, I'm including pie in my condemnation.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:23 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

Except pie. Yum.

Blasphemy!

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:32 am

While I'm condemning Thanksgiving food staples, I'll also include cranberries of any consistency. The only proper place for cranberry is mixed with vodka or gin.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:41 am

Captain Ned wrote:
While I'm condemning Thanksgiving food staples, I'll also include cranberries of any consistency. The only proper place for cranberry is mixed with vodka or gin.

Double blasphemy!

While canned cranberry sauce is indeed disgusting, fresh-made can be quite delicious. And cranberries can work well in beer.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:47 am

Glorious wrote:

No.....Gin is the bottle of 1970's cologne that you found waaaay in the back of "dad's cabinet" in the bathroom, covered in an inch of dust. Spin the cap off of that and take a glug. That's gin.

I should also add that "sapphire gin" looks exactly like the glass jar of Barbicide my childhood barber always had on the counter for dipping combs. They might actually be the same product, just marketed differently.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:51 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Except pie. Yum.

Ned would be ejected from Thanksgiving dinner for such comments, and forced to stand out in the cold for an hour. I would even stand up in front of everybody and do an announcement like an NFL official after a penalty, complete with the ejection motion.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:22 pm

Just gonna leave this here...

Annoying NPCs

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:00 am

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

It's not a grudge. They're riling up their readership, which consists of mostly Reformed theology Christians, and that's a group that loves their craft beers.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:37 am

Comments regarding pumpkin pie and cranberries.

Pumpkin pie is the greatest of all pies. Make it yourself from an actual pumpkin, and it is pretty much the ideal dessert. Possibly the ideal breakfast food. Fight me. (Or not, but I'm not likely to be swayed on this.)

Bad cranberry sauce is gross. My wife insists on having the jelly blob from the can, still molded in the shape of the can, on the grounds that it's "tradition." It's still gross, and it's really simple to make a decent cranberry sauce yourself in a saucepan, so there's no excuse. Cranberries do very well in the stuffing/dressing, too.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:30 am

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Bad cranberry sauce is gross. My wife insists on having the jelly blob from the can, still molded in the shape of the can, on the grounds that it's "tradition." It's still gross, and it's really simple to make a decent cranberry sauce yourself in a saucepan, so there's no excuse. Cranberries do very well in the stuffing/dressing, too.

^ This. ^

Except in my case the wife agrees with me. It's mom who insists on the canned stuff.