Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:44 am

The tradition of making the food taste good is the best one. My family has a tradition of massacring food as well. The first thing that comes to mind is baked eggs filled with macaroni and cheese. :lol:
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:48 am

Canned cranberry sauce and steamed broccoli cooked until it is dead 3 times over are two of the Thanksgiving dinner traditions I do not miss.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:34 pm

I bought some Sony wi-1000x in my never-ending search for the perfect headphones. This one is for flying the drone with my goggles and lightweight listening on the go.

I like the active noise cancelling, and the app gives me a bunch of really nice controls to adjust how much it attempts to cancel noise along with an equalizer. And a bunch of other junk I haven't even messed with yet. Definitely a huge step up from my old pair serving this purpose.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:41 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Comments regarding pumpkin pie and cranberries.

Pumpkin pie is the greatest of all pies. Make it yourself from an actual pumpkin, and it is pretty much the ideal dessert. Possibly the ideal breakfast food. Fight me. (Or not, but I'm not likely to be swayed on this.)
Pumpkin pie is excellent, but I'd rank a good apple pie above it. If you're strict on definitions, cheesecake is technically a custard pie that outperforms pumpkin. And with that, I'm sure you can find a pumpkin/pumpkin spice cheesecake for an S-tier Thanksgiving dessert.

Bad cranberry sauce is gross. My wife insists on having the jelly blob from the can, still molded in the shape of the can, on the grounds that it's "tradition." It's still gross, and it's really simple to make a decent cranberry sauce yourself in a saucepan, so there's no excuse. Cranberries do very well in the stuffing/dressing, too.
I must have been lucky to have never experienced the canned stuff. I've seen dried cranberries thrown into plenty of sides, but never a canned sauce.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:02 pm

It's so easy to make cranberry sauce from scratch I can't believe the canned stuff even caught on
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:58 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
It's so easy to make cranberry sauce from scratch I can't believe the canned stuff even caught on

It's only easy to make from scratch if you have access to fresh or frozen cranberries. Given that canned cranberry sauce has been around since the 1940s, I'll bet it was a lot harder to get the berries back when it originally became popular (unless you lived near where they were grown). So that's a plausible explanation for why it originally caught on. As far as its continued popularity goes, well... that's entirely due to people like Chuckaluphagus' wife and my mom.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:48 pm

To back that up: Flash freezing didn't become commercially viable until within the last 100 years, and only became commercially popular when canned goods were diverted to the WWII battlefront and frozen goods replaced them in US supermarkets. And year-round, affordable shipping of fresh fruit to US supermarkets is an invention within my lifetime.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:25 pm

Ok maybe EVER was a stretch on my part :lol: :lol:

Like most canned goods, the difference with fresh-made is night and day.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:54 pm

I liked the canned stuff. Much too lazy to make my own. If I get munch at night I’ll grab a can of peaches, pears, fruit cocktail, or cranberries and devour the whole thing.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:09 am

300+ mph :o
That's a Mach 0.40 Volkswagen.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:48 pm

I'm still getting used to these wi 1000x. It's my first pair of active noise cancelling and it's pretty awesome. I can listen to music without having to hear the truck vibrating from idling to stay cool.b it feels weird though, like I'm at the top of a mountain and there's a pressure difference in my ear that I can't clear. It also makes my vertical orientation feel slightly off, like im quickly swaying a few degrees side to side when I'm not.

Still it's nice, it also has a sort of passthrough where instead of cancelling i can press a button and it plays external sounds along with my music. I guess it's a better solution than walking in the streets with one ear open like I usually do. Anyway I'm always trying different headphones looking for the holy Grail of mobility, sounds quality, reliable care free wearing, and this one checks every box but they still don't sound quite as good as large over the ear drivers. And for the record I bought mine for 99$ open box refurb on Amazon cus I'm a cheapster.
When drunk.....

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:13 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
I can listen to music without having to hear the truck vibrating from idling to stay cool.b it feels weird though, like I'm at the top of a mountain and there's a pressure difference in my ear that I can't clear.

I never liked in-ear for long listening times for that reason.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:32 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:
I can listen to music without having to hear the truck vibrating from idling to stay cool.b it feels weird though, like I'm at the top of a mountain and there's a pressure difference in my ear that I can't clear.

Without the active noise cancelling it doesn't happen and I'm okay with that. As soon as I turn the cancelling on it really feels like I jumped 500 feet. I wonder if it happens with over the ear cancelling
When drunk.....

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:07 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:

Without the active noise cancelling it doesn't happen and I'm okay with that. As soon as I turn the cancelling on it really feels like I jumped 500 feet. I wonder if it happens with over the ear cancelling

I don't get that feeling, but my wife does with my Monoprice ANC over-ears.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:04 pm

Interesting, but I'll definitely get over it. Turning off the truck and listening to music in the quiet was a treat reserved for the perfect temperatureb days when I'm parked alone. Honestly I always assumed active noise cancelling was probably a weak gimmick not worth the money. I was definitely wrong. :lol:
When drunk.....

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:33 pm

I've had that sensation with noise cancelling sometimes, too. For airline flights I've found that noise-blocking in-ear headphones work just about as well as noise-cancelling. The one advantage of noise cancelling is that they end up re-broadcasting non-repeating sounds such as voices, which makes them a bit more utilitarian than noise-blocking types.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:00 pm

I bought a set of Pioneer Rayz Plus because of the iPhone's stupid lack of an audio jack. The noise cancelling works pretty well.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:01 pm

grocery and food delivery have really brought the trucking lifestyle up a few notches. The delivery fees are less than the lost productivity of getting into stores so it pays for itself too. Now i just need 1 hour amazon delivery to my truck 8)
When drunk.....

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:43 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
grocery and food delivery have really brought the trucking lifestyle up a few notches. The delivery fees are less than the lost productivity of getting into stores so it pays for itself too. Now i just need 1 hour amazon delivery to my truck 8)

Figure out the nearest Amazon Locker on your current route and have it sent there?

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:45 pm

ludi wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:

Figure out the nearest Amazon Locker on your current route and have it sent there?

I can't usually get to where lockers are, and beyond that i can send stuff to my terminal and pick it up in a few weeks usually. Still i can dream :lol:
When drunk.....

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:52 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
I can't usually get to where lockers are, and beyond that i can send stuff to my terminal and pick it up in a few weeks usually. Still i can dream :lol:

Yeah, I guess they tend to be in strip malls, which probably don't work so well for an 18-wheeler. There sure do seem to be a lot of them now though! A lot more than there were just a couple of years ago.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:05 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if that comes at one point. https://www.amazon.com/b?node=17051031011

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:20 am

Had been thinking I needed new glasses. Turned out the nose pieces were just a little bent, causing the current pair to ride a few mm too low on my face, taking my eyeballs out of the "sweet spot". Amazing how much of a difference that can make.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:56 am

Elon Musk paid $50,000 to prove "pedo guy" claim.

...can we all just be done with Elon Musk now? Please?
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:37 am

superjawes wrote:
Elon Musk paid $50,000 to prove "pedo guy" claim.
...can we all just be done with Elon Musk now? Please?

People pay private Investigators for all sorts of stuff. This doesn't surprise me in the least. This was written as if it was a major shock and surprise. It's only a big deal because it's Elon.
That said, people need to stop fanboying for sure.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:58 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Had been thinking I needed new glasses. Turned out the nose pieces were just a little bent, causing the current pair to ride a few mm too low on my face, taking my eyeballs out of the "sweet spot". Amazing how much of a difference that can make.

Nosepads used to drive me nuts. I don't want contacts, so I finally switched to plastic frames because they're less prone to being bent out of alignment.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:35 pm

ludi wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Nosepads used to drive me nuts. I don't want contacts, so I finally switched to plastic frames because they're less prone to being bent out of alignment.

Lasik is the best thing I've ever done in my life.

Also agree on the nosepads, they were the worst. None of my sunglasses have them.
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:05 am

FireGryphon wrote:
The Egg wrote:
All the executives will jump with their golden parachutes, and nothing of consequence will come to anyone that matters.
Why is there always enough time to do it over but never enough time to do it right?

https://newrepublic.com/article/154944/ ... revolution
The Egg will lap this up.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:44 pm

Installed a 3-way gas distribution manifold in my kegerator with individual shutoff valves for each keg, and a small 3-speed fan to circulate the air for better/quicker cooling performance. It's chilling back down as I type this. It's a bit ghetto (liberal use of Dual Lock and zip ties), but gets the job done.

I figure I can run the fan on high when chilling stuff down, then turn it down to low once things reach equilibrium to reduce the amount of heat being dumped into the kegerator by the fan motor. The fan controller is outside, so any heat that generates won't count.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:54 pm

A kegerator has been one of my fondest dreams. SWMBO, OTOH, has firmly declared NO and she's not wrong.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.