Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

 
Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2155
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:44 am

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:45 pm

https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/ ... -1159/pd-s

That stuff will ruin you on any kind of generic paprika. It's just so damned good. Fortunately there's a Penzeys store not too far from here, so that's where I get a lot of my spices.

Pro tip: don't go there when you're hungry. Your belly will thank you, but your wallet will not. :lol:
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.
 
TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 9:08 am
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:58 am

I googled that Penzeys place and there's a store 10 minutes from my office. I might have to give it a try.

I've found that growing my own herbs has really made cooking certain dishes easier. It helps that many herbs grow like weeds too.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 53463
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:22 am

Yeah, Penzeys is great. We've got one about 15 minutes from our house. They stock some harder-to-find stuff like Szechuan peppercorns (for which there really is no valid substitute).

My wife planted herbs in pots out on the patio this year. Having easy access to fresh basil and thyme is great if you like to cook... downside is that when it gets really hot out you need to remember to water them every day or they die.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2920
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:46 pm

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:14 am

Air Force Finally Retires 8-Inch Floppies From Missile Launch Control System

Any changes to a system of this age (and with the highest possible stakes) makes me very uneasy. I'd almost rather they kept using the 8-Inch floppies (assuming data integrity would continue to remain intact). These systems should be kept as simple as humanly possible, and with hardware that's been vetted 1000 times over.
 
JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 18998
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:28 am

Old 8" and 5¼" Shugart floppy drives were built for military duty.
i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70+U2407, RK-9000BR, MX518
 
Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 27959
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:29 am

When the Strategic Air Command received the order from SecDef McNamara to install Permissive Action Links (PALs) on the Minuteman fleet to ensure that ICBMs could not be launched without a direct Presidential order, the code on EVERY PAL in every silo was reset to all zeros as soon as the civilian techs left. The entire Minuteman fleet could easily have been launched by silo crews with no external communications. SAC considered this a feature, not a bug.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php ... -00000000/
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.
 
The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2920
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:46 pm

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:38 am

Captain Ned wrote:
When the Strategic Air Command received the order from SecDef McNamara to install Permissive Action Links (PALs) on the Minuteman fleet to ensure that ICBMs could not be launched without a direct Presidential order, the code on EVERY PAL in every silo was reset to all zeros as soon as the civilian techs left. The entire Minuteman fleet could easily have been launched by silo crews with no external communications. SAC considered this a feature, not a bug.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php ... -00000000/

Nice. We probably don't want to know what happened on the other side during the Soviet years. It's a wonder we're all still here.
 
Krogoth
Gerbil Elder
Posts: 5827
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:20 pm
Location: somewhere on Core Prime
Contact:

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:39 pm

The Egg wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
When the Strategic Air Command received the order from SecDef McNamara to install Permissive Action Links (PALs) on the Minuteman fleet to ensure that ICBMs could not be launched without a direct Presidential order, the code on EVERY PAL in every silo was reset to all zeros as soon as the civilian techs left. The entire Minuteman fleet could easily have been launched by silo crews with no external communications. SAC considered this a feature, not a bug.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php ... -00000000/

Nice. We probably don't want to know what happened on the other side during the Soviet years. It's a wonder we're all still here.


Soviets had their share of mishaps that almost lead to WWIII. Among the most famous examples was this. The acting CO figured that it was a false positive but it didn't help that NATO was conducting wargames in Europe roughly around the same timeframe.
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x8GiB of G.Skill DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Corsair CX-750M V2 and Fractal Define R4 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B
 
Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 27959
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:08 pm

Tonight is the 33rd anniversary of Bill Buckner proving his equivalence to Michael Jackson.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.
 
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Posts: 25229
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:00 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Tonight is the 33rd anniversary of Bill Buckner proving his equivalence to Michael Jackson.

Either this is a painfully tortured metaphor for saying Buckner was a "Bad" fielder, or you're calling him a child predator. I'm hoping the former.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen
 
Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 27959
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:38 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Tonight is the 33rd anniversary of Bill Buckner proving his equivalence to Michael Jackson.

Either this is a painfully tortured metaphor for saying Buckner was a "Bad" fielder, or you're calling him a child predator. I'm hoping the former.

When it happened, the joke was "What do Bill Buckner and Michael Jackson have in common? They both wear a glove on one hand for no apparent reason."
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.
 
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Posts: 25229
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:11 pm

ohhhhhh. So neither, which is good.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen
 
JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 18998
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:33 am

Halloween candy ranking:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/th ... r-ranking/
I would probably have put Twix or Snickers at the top.
i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70+U2407, RK-9000BR, MX518
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 53463
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:15 am

Son's 2-week-old HP Omen gaming system just started boot-looping. Symptoms (and HP's built-in diagnostics) all point to bad RAM. HP wants the whole system shipped back (at their expense) for warranty service. While that's not at all surprising, it's still an awfully costly way to replace a stick of RAM!

I'll report back when we see how the warranty return goes.

(And no, I did not recommend the system to him, nor did he pay money for it; he won it at a promotional event.)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
roncat
Gerbil First Class
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:29 am

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:46 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Son's 2-week-old HP Omen gaming system just started boot-looping. Symptoms (and HP's built-in diagnostics) all point to bad RAM. HP wants the whole system shipped back (at their expense) for warranty service. While that's not at all surprising, it's still an awfully costly way to replace a stick of RAM!

I'll report back when we see how the warranty return goes.

(And no, I did not recommend the system to him, nor did he pay money for it; he won it at a promotional event.)



So it's a bad omen?
 
ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil
Posts: 8470
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:47 pm
Location: Sunny Colorado front range

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:53 pm

just brew it! wrote:
(And no, I did not recommend the system to him, nor did he pay money for it; he won it at a promotional event.)

Not judging even if he had. It's getting pretty tricky to build an affordable system these days if you intend to be at least nominally legal on the software side.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 53463
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:12 pm

ludi wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
(And no, I did not recommend the system to him, nor did he pay money for it; he won it at a promotional event.)

Not judging even if he had. It's getting pretty tricky to build an affordable system these days if you intend to be at least nominally legal on the software side.

If I'd been building or specing something I would've made sure there was at least one available PCIe slot... :roll:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 27959
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:35 am

It took 25 years, but the Montreal Expos finally avenge the robbery of 1994.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.
 
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Posts: 25229
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: Comin' to you directly from the Mothership

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:00 am

I'm just glad someone who hadn't otherwise won before managed to pull it out.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen
 
JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 18998
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:56 am

i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70+U2407, RK-9000BR, MX518
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 53463
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:23 am

Yeah, sucks to be them right now. What a raging dumpster fire. IMO they will either reinvent themselves or die.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
ermo
Gerbil
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:13 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:


You probably already know (but others might not):

All airplanes with metal skin have cracks, particularly ones with aluminium skin. As I understand it, it's just a matter of monitoring them and deciding when they officially become a concern, which is to say large enough that any stressed skin might suddenly lose its load-bearing capacity and rupture.

In this case, Boeing would appear to have a crack size/area tolerance in a highly stressed area that was reached before the planned 30,000 hours of flight time.
Linux: 2x FX-8350, 16/32GB, GTX970/HD7970, Solus+KDE/Exherbo+Xfce
Hackintosh: i7-2600K, 32GB, HD7970, High Sierra
HTPC: Q9400, 8GB, GTS 450, Solus/GNOME
Server: FX-8350, 16GB ECC, iGP, F30/Srv
Wintendo: R7 2700X, 32GB, 2x RX Vega 64 (air), W10Pro
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 53463
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:26 am

Yup, and overly optimistic metal fatigue predictions will seriously piss off your customers at best, since inspecting the airframe for cracks is expensive; at worst they result in catastrophic failures and loss of life.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 18998
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:11 pm

Pickle forks are designed to last more than 90,000 landings and takeoffs without cracking.

Cracks were found much earlier than expected in some 737NG aircraft. Boeing responded by telling the FAA that every 737NG that had flown over 30,000 flights should be tested. 38 of the 810 planes tested from that group were grounded for the problem. Now, several additional planes have been found with cracking after fewer than 27,000 flights, indicating that even after the initial scare, Boeing did not provide an adequately-safe evaluation of the problem.

Chris Snook, Qantas head of engineering wrote:
Even when a crack is present, it does not immediately compromise the safety of the aircraft.
Stephen Fankhauser, Swinburne University of Technology wrote:
The parts were designed so the "structure can tolerate some level of damage or degradation". "The inspection period is set to ensure the cracks do not continue to grow to a dangerous length and then significantly compromise the strength of the airframe."


If you had a fleet of 737NG aircraft for which you had paid around $90 million a piece, expecting them to last 30+ years, would you be annoyed if they were failing after less than 15 years of service?


In some ways, the latest screw-up reminds one of the fuselage fatigue cracking that grounded older 737s after the scary Southwest flight 812 incident in 2011 and the Southwest flight 2294 incident in 2009, though neither of those involved fatalities as did the Aloha flight 243 incident in 1988.
i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32 GiB, RX Vega64, Define Mini-C, SSR-850PX, C32HG70+U2407, RK-9000BR, MX518
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 53463
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:32 pm

Yup. Either Boeing did not build in an adequate safety margin when designing these parts, or whoever manufactured the parts screwed up (and this was not caught in whatever QA stress testing Boeing did). Regardless, Boeing bears ultimate responsibility and they need to make this right.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
Igor_Kavinski
Gerbil Elite
Posts: 793
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:34 am

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:18 am

just brew it! wrote:
Yup. Either Boeing did not build in an adequate safety margin when designing these parts, or whoever manufactured the parts screwed up (and this was not caught in whatever QA stress testing Boeing did). Regardless, Boeing bears ultimate responsibility and they need to make this right.


I doubt that they have the financial capacity to right this wrong at this time. Just a cascade of failures happening for them one after the other. All just so they could save a few dimes and show a bigger profit to their shareholders. And now those shareholders must seriously be considering dumping their shares before the next ship sinking leak is discovered.
 
Vrock
Gerbil God
Posts: 22385
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Land of the Looney Lolcats

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:52 pm

I need this. But I don't know where to put it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Star-Wars-Ar ... noQAvD_BwE
I'm not altogether on anyone's side, because no one is altogether on my side.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 53463
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:14 pm

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
Krogoth
Gerbil Elder
Posts: 5827
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:20 pm
Location: somewhere on Core Prime
Contact:

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:02 pm

just brew it! wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/09/us/omaha-rock-crash-meme-trnd/index.html

Got a chuckle out of me.


It is from people who don't how to corner and/or have too much vehicle to handle.
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS-PRO Coffee Lake R 9700K, 2x8GiB of G.Skill DDR4-3600, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Corsair CX-750M V2 and Fractal Define R4 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests
GZIP: On