Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

localhostrulez
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: DYMT: Imi's Legacy

Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:36 am

just brew it! wrote:
Dad's still reasonably with it mentally, but struggling physically due to multiple issues (guess that'll happen when you get into your 80s). His physical decline was what prompted the move. I really feel for him, I'm sure it is very frustrating to feel like you could still be doing a lot more if your body would only cooperate.

I was talking about my paternal grandparents above (both mid 80's). My maternal grandmother, on the other hand, is a few years older but still in very good health considering - takes care of herself perfectly well. That said, she's been widowed for over a decade, and gets kinda lonely - but insists she likes it that way. Maternal grandfather went more peacefully - was doing well enough, and then cancer took him over the course of a year. Very sharp mentally, all the way to end. Sad, but almost better than seeing him suffering a bit for years (constant doctor appointments, always tired, etc). Paternal grandma needed help moving a small but full laundry basket earlier...

Even personally, I was a bit of a packrat over the last year or two, but have cleaned up a LOT of that in the last few months. Makes things so much easier. (I still need to post pics of the setup now... just need to clean off the desk and a few things.)

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:08 am

Oh, I'm still a major packrat too. Dealing with my parents' stuff has motivated me to accelerate my efforts to chip away at my own mess.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:13 am

just brew it! wrote:
Oh, I'm still a major packrat too. Dealing with my parents' stuff has motivated me to accelerate my efforts to chip away at my own mess.

Hmm, I wonder from whence the daughter acquired her packrattishness.
If the Earth were flat, cats would have pushed everything off of it by now.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:26 am

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Hmm, I wonder from whence the daughter acquired her packrattishness.

It is not necessarily hereditary. Our youngest definitely shows some strong tendencies, but the middle one not so much. OTOH I suspect the oldest may still have some stuff hidden in the mountains of crap in the garage, even though she ostensibly moved out several years ago.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:33 am

just brew it! wrote:
[OTOH I suspect the oldest may still have some stuff hidden in the mountains of crap in the garage, even though she ostensibly moved out several years ago.

No matter how hard SWMBO tries, I fear that daughter will always have some sort of cache hidden in the house.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:27 am

We're in the process of it ourselves :-? Not for moving, just because it'd been 4-5 years since we went through stuff. My wife and I are both a bit paranoid about hoarding since we've had relatives with tendencies in that direction.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:02 am

On the SNL theme, perhaps the best work from the original cast, and certainly the most ironic/poignant.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/ ... nger/n8660

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:57 pm

He really was a "live fast, die hard" type, though it's debatable that he left a good-looking corpse.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

localhostrulez

Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:16 pm

Well, at least the cleanup has been going better as of late (went back today). After the incident a week ago (turned out OK, thankfully), grandpa backed down on keeping all the stuff in the yard. We cleaned up one part of it, he saw how much better it was, and he didn't put up any fuss while we worked on more of it. Both commented on how nice it is now ("we haven't seen the patio in decades!"). Decided to put off the dump run until next weekend, and borrow a truck.

We still need to move them to a home, but it's progress.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:58 pm

Weak light bulbs are annoying.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:03 pm

On a completely worthless 2.5 hour "all hands" WebEx. Audio is completely unintelligible due to overwhelming wind noise from someone's mic.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:04 pm

just brew it! wrote:
On a completely worthless 2.5 hour "all hands" WebEx. Audio is completely unintelligible due to overwhelming wind noise from someone's mic.

haha, we have all-hands webex'es too. that's what makes your job great. wasted time and u get paid for it! BAM /mic drop

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:33 pm

thegleek wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
haha, we have all-hands webex'es too. that's what makes your job great. wasted time and u get paid for it! BAM /mic drop

Whereas I get to watch webinars given by the Federal Reserve Bank and the Financial Accounting Standards Board on how the entire accounting basis and structure behind a bank's calculation of its loan loss reserves is changing and how I need to get ready for the mandatory adoption of these rules for fiscal years starting after 12/15/2018. Loan loss accounting. I needed to mainline a couple of espressos just to muster the courage to launch the webinar.

The job of a financial regulator is to toil in boredom, usually in windowless cellars sitting in the semi-broken chairs they can't seem to pitch into the dumpster. Excitement means somebody did something wrong. My last true excitement was two years ago when a corrupt credit union manager got 39 months in Martha Stewart's tennis camp. Judge gave her a lifeline to admit what she'd done at the sentencing hearing but she still couldn't bring herself to tell the truth. I think she got another 12 months because of that.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:50 pm

All-hands WebExes always seem to be about restructuring something or year-end sales numbers that put me to sleep.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:56 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
All-hands WebExes always seem to be about restructuring something or year-end sales numbers that put me to sleep.

Time for BS Bingo, then.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:06 pm

Yeah, all I really need to know is whether they expect to continue to not shutter the division. It makes money, so I'm pretty sure it's fine. :lol:

anotherengineer
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:16 pm

drfish wrote:
In that case, let me present it to everyone:

That shirt!!!! It's things like that, that make me wish I wasn't color deficient, even still, still very colorful!!
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:20 pm

anotherengineer wrote:
That shirt!!!! It's things like that, that make me wish I wasn't color deficient, even still, still very colorful!!

I do my best to make sure that everyone, from red/greens to tetrachromats get a rise out of my BBQ shirt.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:23 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Time for BS Bingo, then.

I wasn't paying enough attention to play BS Bingo. Audio was so bad it would've been difficult to play anyhow.

It was quarterly sales numbers, plans for next quarter, and other random stuff I can mostly dig out of the Powerpoint slides if I care to look.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:41 pm

just brew it! wrote:
It was quarterly sales numbers, plans for next quarter, and other random stuff I can mostly dig out of the Powerpoint slides if I care to look.

Oh c'mon, that's perfect bingo bait (assuming competent audio engineering).

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:20 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Oh c'mon, that's perfect bingo bait (assuming competent audio engineering).

Oh, I'm sure. It was just too much *work* to play, given the sub-standard audio feed!

Reading the snarky comments in the R&D Slack channel from the people who were physically at the meeting was much more entertaining!

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:47 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Reading the snarky comments in the R&D Slack channel from the people who were physically at the meeting was much more entertaining!

You never want to to be the one who takes the bingo thing too seriously and actually jumps up yelling "bingo". Even the densest C-suite types know that one by now.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:39 am

I'm sure I've complained about this in the past, but the way Amazon charges their orders is beyond atrocious. I've placed 3 somewhat sizable orders in the last month (at least by number of items), and when I went to check my card statement today, it's just a diarrhea list of small scattershot charges. I think I literally blurted out "what the f***..." upon seeing it.

I understand there may be a legitimate reason for doing it, but this.......this is just ridiculous. If a small fraudulent test-charge were to be thrown in the middle with an amazon-sounding name, there's no way I would catch it. I've got better things to do than spend 20 minutes with a pen and paper comparing the two whenever I pay my credit card. There's gotta be a better way.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:40 am

I'd be willing to bet that the items are shipping from different warehouses, and the charges are posted when each item ships.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:11 am

just brew it! wrote:
I'd be willing to bet that the items are shipping from different warehouses, and the charges are posted when each item ships.

Yup. Amazon SOP. BTDT.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:53 am

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Yup. Amazon SOP. BTDT.

While we may not like how it clutters up our CC statements, it also makes sense from a business perspective. If they did not do things this way, they would get complaints about CC charges being posted before the corresponding item has shipped, if one of the items in an order unexpectedly gets delayed.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:31 am

just brew it! wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Yup. Amazon SOP. BTDT.

While we may not like how it clutters up our CC statements, it also makes sense from a business perspective. If they did not do things this way, they would get complaints about CC charges being posted before the corresponding item has shipped, if one of the items in an order unexpectedly gets delayed.

I think someone explained their position to me the last time I went on a rant. I understand why it needs to be done in certain situations, but in most cases I think splitting orders into a thousand tiny pieces just obfuscates the true amount of an order (when you place an order on Amazon, you see and remember the full total), increases the likelihood of a cardholder possibly missing fraudulent charges, and makes it stupid-difficult to balance a statement.

In this particular case, not only was there dozens of small separate charges, but the charges were also mixed together in non-chronological order from my 3 large orders on different dates. Compounding this, Amazon now charges tax on items directly sold by them (but not on others), and I also had some promotional credits which were just arbitrarily thrown onto random items. At the very least, they should offer their customers the option of different billing methods.

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:28 am

The Egg wrote:
I understand why it needs to be done in certain situations, but in most cases I think splitting orders into a thousand tiny pieces just obfuscates the true amount of an order (when you place an order on Amazon, you see and remember the full total), increases the likelihood of a cardholder possibly missing fraudulent charges, and makes it stupid-difficult to balance a statement.

You find it annoying, but it's *HUGE* liability for issuers when they have to handle charge-backs for merchandise that was never shipped, if only because there is *GIANT* correlation between that and insolvency.

Have you seen The Sopranos? Davey Scatino's sporting goods store? The scam that Tony Soprano literally called his "Bread-n-Butter": The Bust-out?

That was fiction, but it's also a reality: What do you do when the reason they never shipped the goods in the first place is because they were outright fraudulent or naively optimistic about "bridge" financing? Revoke their merchant account? So what? They're already bankrupt. Someone gets left holding that bag, and guess what, contractually it isn't you, is it?

So it doesn't matter whether or not Amazon even agrees with you, the credit card networks don't, and won't.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:33 am

TBH I don't even find it particularly annoying. But I don't tend to place orders for dozens of items at a time, so at worst I'm maybe looking at 3 or 4 separate charges.

ludi
Darth Gerbil

Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:51 am

It's a nuisance, but if you aren't taking time to thoroughly check your statements against your recent purchase history, something bad is going to happen to you regardless.

There was at least one time I caught a fraudulent online purchase that the CC issuer missed even though it was a bit of an oddity (clothing from a UK sporting goods outlet, and I never shop internationally using credit card...not sure how that one got through, but okay.)
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration