Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

tanker27
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Why does nobody make decent pocket combs any more?

Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:16 am

Man I have an Ace Hard Rubber comb that I have had since like the 70's. I haven't used it in awhile because I still keep my hair short but its been in my SSS bag for forever. And to think everywhere its been........Parents home, High school, College, The Army, College (again)........

It's sad to hear you can't find a comb that is a durable anymore.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Topic Author

Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:35 am

tanker27 wrote:
Man I have an Ace Hard Rubber comb that I have had since like the 70's. I haven't used it in awhile because I still keep my hair short but its been in my SSS bag for forever. And to think everywhere its been........Parents home, High school, College, The Army, College (again)........

...unless you want to pay 5x as much to import one from Britain, apparently. (Jury's still out, but the durability test has begun!)
If the world isn't making sense to you, you're either drinking too much or not drinking enough.

Aranarth
Gerbil Elite

Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:20 am

Pulls out switchblade comb, SHINCK!, slicks back hair....

Heyyyy!!!! Stylin! :D
I wish to see things not as they are but as they should be.

Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.5Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb Corsair ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 6870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:19 am

Is there a local theatre production of Grease casting soon??
If the Earth were flat, cats would have pushed everything off of it by now.

Mr Bill
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:31 pm

just brew it! wrote:
So the Kent is stiffer than I'd hoped, but the small size means it isn't uncomfortable to have in the back pocket. We'll see how well it holds up.

After reading the thread, I decided to try both the brush and the detangler comb. I have long hair and have recently been loosing a lot of it to tangles.
This page intentionally left blank

Kougar
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:47 am

just brew it! wrote:
So the Kent is stiffer than I'd hoped, but the small size means it isn't uncomfortable to have in the back pocket. We'll see how well it holds up.

Sooo... have you tried Conair?

I bought a 12 pack of the cheapest combs at walmart because I hated the ultra-hard ACE combs they make today. Something akin to https://www.walmart.com/ip/Conair-Styling-Essentials-Comb-Assortment-Set-of-12/10322817 that had 4+ black combs in it for the same price as a single ACE comb. They are made of a soft plastic, the comb itself is soft enough that it can be bent 45 degrees to the side and will still spring back to its true shape, but I'm not bending mine further to find it's limit.  :P

Conair also advertises hard rubber "unbreakable" combs as well, I'll have to see if somebody sells them locally. https://www.amazon.com/Conair-Hard-Rubber-Pocket-6-Pack/dp/B00HU5ME48
Basically Conair makes multiple types available almost anywhere. Cheap as dirt so you might try one to see if that's what you're looking for.

Edit: Wish I could comb the broken formatting in this forum software  :evil:

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Topic Author

Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:04 am

Haven't tried Conair. As noted, I'm giving the Kent a go. So far so good.
If the world isn't making sense to you, you're either drinking too much or not drinking enough.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Topic Author

Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:19 pm

5 months in and I am happy to report the Kent seems to be holding up well. It has a slight curve to it now from getting sat on, but I suppose one could argue that this is a feature rather than a bug as it likely makes it less noticeable in the back pocket.

G8torbyte
Gold subscriber
Gerbil

Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:40 pm

tanker27 wrote:

HA! SSS (s**t, shower, shave) haven't heard that in awhile. Well since military retirement last year. My wife wants me to grow my hair out but I too like a short, high speed, low drag/low maintenance hair cut. I did concede a little and went from a #1 buzz to a #2 on the sides. I never need to comb, just brush once in the morning and GTG!
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs and gaming since "Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991
Current system setup: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/tbf8TW

Topinio
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:20 am

just brew it! wrote:
5 months in and I am happy to report the Kent seems to be holding up well. It has a slight curve to it now from getting sat on, but I suppose one could argue that this is a feature rather than a bug as it likely makes it less noticeable in the back pocket.

Glad to hear it's sit-resistant. Hmm, maybe I should try that with mine.
Desktop: E3-1270 v5, X11SAT-F, 32GB, R9 290X, 250GB BX100, 2TB Ultrastar, Xonar DGX, XL2730Z
HTPC: i5-2500K, DH67GD, 6GB, HD 7750, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Barracuda, Xonar DX