Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Re: Why does nobody make decent pocket combs any more?

Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:16 am

Man I have an Ace Hard Rubber comb that I have had since like the 70's. I haven't used it in awhile because I still keep my hair short but its been in my SSS bag for forever. And to think everywhere its been........Parents home, High school, College, The Army, College (again)........

It's sad to hear you can't find a comb that is a durable anymore.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Topic Author

Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:35 am

tanker27 wrote:
Man I have an Ace Hard Rubber comb that I have had since like the 70's. I haven't used it in awhile because I still keep my hair short but its been in my SSS bag for forever. And to think everywhere its been........Parents home, High school, College, The Army, College (again)........

...unless you want to pay 5x as much to import one from Britain, apparently. (Jury's still out, but the durability test has begun!)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:20 am

Pulls out switchblade comb, SHINCK!, slicks back hair....

Heyyyy!!!! Stylin! :D
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:19 am

Is there a local theatre production of Grease casting soon??
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:31 pm

just brew it! wrote:
So the Kent is stiffer than I'd hoped, but the small size means it isn't uncomfortable to have in the back pocket. We'll see how well it holds up.

After reading the thread, I decided to try both the brush and the detangler comb. I have long hair and have recently been loosing a lot of it to tangles.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | WinXP64 Pro

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:47 am

just brew it! wrote:
So the Kent is stiffer than I'd hoped, but the small size means it isn't uncomfortable to have in the back pocket. We'll see how well it holds up.

Sooo... have you tried Conair?

I bought a 12 pack of the cheapest combs at walmart because I hated the ultra-hard ACE combs they make today. Something akin to https://www.walmart.com/ip/Conair-Styling-Essentials-Comb-Assortment-Set-of-12/10322817 that had 4+ black combs in it for the same price as a single ACE comb. They are made of a soft plastic, the comb itself is soft enough that it can be bent 45 degrees to the side and will still spring back to its true shape, but I'm not bending mine further to find it's limit.  :P

Conair also advertises hard rubber "unbreakable" combs as well, I'll have to see if somebody sells them locally. https://www.amazon.com/Conair-Hard-Rubber-Pocket-6-Pack/dp/B00HU5ME48
Basically Conair makes multiple types available almost anywhere. Cheap as dirt so you might try one to see if that's what you're looking for.

Edit: Wish I could comb the broken formatting in this forum software  :evil:

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Topic Author

Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:04 am

Haven't tried Conair. As noted, I'm giving the Kent a go. So far so good.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Topic Author

Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:19 pm

5 months in and I am happy to report the Kent seems to be holding up well. It has a slight curve to it now from getting sat on, but I suppose one could argue that this is a feature rather than a bug as it likely makes it less noticeable in the back pocket.

G8torbyte
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:40 pm

tanker27 wrote:

HA! SSS (s**t, shower, shave) haven't heard that in awhile. Well since military retirement last year. My wife wants me to grow my hair out but I too like a short, high speed, low drag/low maintenance hair cut. I did concede a little and went from a #1 buzz to a #2 on the sides. I never need to comb, just brush once in the morning and GTG!
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

Topinio
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:20 am

just brew it! wrote:
5 months in and I am happy to report the Kent seems to be holding up well. It has a slight curve to it now from getting sat on, but I suppose one could argue that this is a feature rather than a bug as it likely makes it less noticeable in the back pocket.

Glad to hear it's sit-resistant. Hmm, maybe I should try that with mine.
Desktop: E3-1270 v5, X11SAT-F, 32GB, RX 580, 500GB Crucial P1, 250GB Crucial MX500, 4TB 7E8, Xonar DGX, XL2730Z + L22e-20
HTPC: i5-2500K, DH67GD, 6GB, GT 1030, 250GB MX500, 1.5TB Barracuda, Xonar DX, G2420HDB
Laptop: MacBook6,1

sgodwin
Gerbil In Training

Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:42 pm

I realize this thread is three years old, and I don't even know if this board is active anymore, but I registered just to reply to this thread because this same issue drives me crazy!

And it's just nice to know I'm not the only one.

So, in case anyone else is out there, or still here, I just found and ordered the two-pack of this comb. Looks promising based on the few reviews. I'll report back when they arrive.

Dang - I can't post links. Well... it's at eBarbershop(dot)com and it's called something like original unbreakable pocket combs. Set of 2.

Enjoy!

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:55 pm

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Topic Author

Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:57 pm

Hey, welcome... these forums aren't as active as they used to be, but they're still alive.

Happy to say, mine held up well, but I misplaced it a little while back so I ordered 2 more. I eventually found the original one, so now I have 3 of them. Given how durable they seem to be, that might effectively be a lifetime supply if I can keep myself from losing them!

FWIW they're still available on Amazon as well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CUORWL8/

sgodwin
Gerbil In Training

Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:29 am

The combs came from eBarbershop and I think they'll do the trick. They're marked Unbreakable, so they may be the same ones that Amazon is selling. They're better than the ones at CVS, but not as flexible as the old ones. I've been carrying one everyday and it's holding up, although a couple of the teeth are bent a little.

The funny thing is that I bought some hair clippers a couple years ago and it came with a couple different combs that are made of the real bendable stuff. Unfortunately, they're too big to carry around in a pocket. But it reaffirms that whatever that stuff is, it's still being made. And it must be cheap!

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:48 pm

just brew it! wrote:
It used to be that you could get pocket-sized combs which were just stiff enough to be functional, but thin and flexible enough that they didn't feel like they were digging furrows in your scalp, or snap in half after a few weeks if you put them in your back pocket and sat on them. At some point in the past decade or so, everyone seems to have switched to hard, brittle plastic that, in a word, sucks.

It really irks me that I can buy a smartphone that effectively puts the power of a 1990s-era supercomputer in my pocket, but I apparently can't get a decent $2 1990s era pocket comb any more.

Whenever I run into the issue of quality, I start searching German and Japanese sites. They still make enough stuff in their own country with decent quality, but you're going to pay for it. Sometimes you can find a local distributor/re-seller.

edit - that was fast
https://www.fendrihan.com/products/fend ... in-germany
https://www.fendrihan.ca/collections/hair-combs

also I would imagine Italy would make some good quality hair care products.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

LoneWolf15
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:36 pm

I haven't asked this question in awhile...but that's because I replaced pocket combs with the Gilette Mach 3.
i9-9900K @4.7GHz, GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi, 2 x 16GB G.Skill RipJaws V PC3000
Corsair 650D, Seasonic 1Kw Platinum PSU
2x HP EX920 1TB NVMe, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB 2.5", NEC 7200 DVDRW
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC, Dell S2719DGF 27" LCD

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:41 pm

#4 buzz cut and a cap, but yes.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x