Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Visa: everywhere you want to be.. except the internet.

Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:08 pm

https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/06/web ... card-info/

-makes me wonder what AMEX, Discover, etc. - are like?

..again, this forum needs a Security section.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Visa: everywhere you want to be.. except the internet.

Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:55 pm

From the article
Mastercard, in contrast, would realize something was wrong in "less than 10 attempts" and shut down the potential crime, no matter where the payment processing was taking place.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:14 am

Sargent Duck wrote:
From the article
Mastercard, in contrast, would realize something was wrong in "less than 10 attempts" and shut down the potential crime, no matter where the payment processing was taking place.

Yup, this sort of attack won't be successful with Mastercard, or rather is far less likely - at worst: 10 chances to get a 3 digit number.  (..I'd read it, but it also get's me thinking about Discover in particular - which I use as much as Mastercard.)  :o
Last edited by CScottG on Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

synthtel2
Gerbil Elite

Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:14 am

IIRC, AMEX is fine because they actually check the cardholder name. Cue the WTFs because apparently nobody else does.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:24 am

Interesting. Just by random luck I have settled into a pattern of using MasterCard as my "daily use" card, while the Visa is used only as a backup (when waiting for a replacement MasterCard after the inevitable merchant breaches occur). I guess I'd be in much worse shape if the situation was reversed... *shudder*.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:29 pm

I "rotate" them (Mastercard & Discover) based on the monthly rewards (for types of purchases).  

It is good to know that Mastercard and AMEX are in decent-shape as far as security goes.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:31 pm

synthtel2 wrote:
IIRC, AMEX is fine because they actually check the cardholder name. Cue the WTFs because apparently nobody else does.

Yeah, that does seem a bit crazy. :o

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:45 pm

The basic usage form of credit cards -- giving someone all the details they need to make future charges -- is silly in the modern world. PayPal-style makes much more sense.

It's surprising that both Visa and MasterCard still haven't fully rolled out PayPal-like systems. I wonder if it's because of that that PayPal's prominence is rising. Their revenue is above Discover and similar to MasterCard's. Visa still has some lead, and AmEx is much larger.

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:04 am

God, that's appalling. Any financial company that bad deserves to be shut down.

synthtel2 wrote:

Mastercard does check names. Every time I'd leave the middle initial out of my cardholder name Newegg orders would get put on "hold" for confirmation/fraud checks. Took me awhile to figure it out since they never would tell me why it was flagged. Not all credit cards use will the middle initial, my Visa does not.

This news is aggravating, Costco dropped Amex for Visa so I picked one up.  :-?

Edit: Forum mod should probably remove the broken smilies if they aren't gonna be fixed....

druidcent

Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:02 pm

Weird.. I know that Visa has a Verified by Visa program where I used to have to enter a Visa specific password.. But it doesn't happen on all sites..  I wonder if it is regional thing (i.e. different security processes for different countries)

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:25 pm

druidcent wrote:
Weird.. I know that Visa has a Verified by Visa program where I used to have to enter a Visa specific password.. But it doesn't happen on all sites..  I wonder if it is regional thing (i.e. different security processes for different countries)

I usually encounter that when buying from Newegg.  Can't think of any other site that has triggered it.  For sure not Amazon, and not Southwest Airlines.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

I.S.T.
Gerbil XP

Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:59 pm

CScottG wrote:
https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/06/web-bots-guess-visa-card-info/

-makes me wonder what AMEX, Discover, etc. - are like?

..again, this forum needs a Security section.

Aw, **** me, my bank card's a visa.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:05 pm

I.S.T. wrote:
Aw, **** me, my bank card's a visa.

Yes, well - now you know just what that slot is that you are sliding your card through. :o  :P

Kougar

Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:28 pm

druidcent wrote:

Mastercard also has that, also on Newegg. Probably what tripped up some of my purchases. I remember when Newegg first began using it some web browser's own popup blocking feature would block it.