Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Rogue One

Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:53 am

tanker27 wrote:
If Krennic ends up being Rey's releative I am gonna be one pissed off fan.

I am sure as ...... that Rey is a Kennobi.

I'm thinking that their "twist" is going to be a double. They'll pop an obvious reveal early (like Rey being Luke's daughter), and the Kenobi surprise will be saved for later.

As for Krennic, it felt like he was supposed to be Tarkin, perhaps in an earlier draft of the script. At some point, though, someone brought up the canonical timing of Rogue One's story (literally the moments before A New Hope), and the part was re-written with a bit of backstabbing on Tarkin's part.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

kvndoom

Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:02 pm

trackerben wrote:
There's no Hollywood reason why such a self-contained vault could not have withstood a waterborne tsunami as opposed to ground shock waves, submerged or even floated like the ships that washed ashore after Japan's Fukushima disaster.

All Indiana Jones needed was a fridge. For the love of FSM, I hope they don't dare to go there.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:10 pm

kvndoom wrote:
trackerben wrote:
There's no Hollywood reason why such a self-contained vault could not have withstood a waterborne tsunami as opposed to ground shock waves, submerged or even floated like the ships that washed ashore after Japan's Fukushima disaster.

All Indiana Jones needed was a fridge.  For the love of FSM, I hope they don't dare to go there.

I present to you the Mk1 Imperial Apocalypse Survival Suit. 

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:15 pm

NTMBK wrote:

Very nice! I've been a fan of the Gonk droids since I was a kid.

To Tanker...who did Obi Wan get his groove on with? Or is this some other Kenobi parent?

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:21 pm

NTMBK wrote:

It's not a retcon if it was there from the beginning!

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:28 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
To Tanker...who did Obi Wan get his groove on with? Or is this some other Kenobi parent?

In Clone Wars Obi Wan has a love interest, Satine Kryze. However she died. It's possible that she got pregnant by Obi Wan and hid it from him. It is from this offspring that Rey comes from. She ends up being Obi Wan's Grandchild.

However the clues in TFA are there:

-Rey's demeanor has been presented as 'calmer' than other Force users. Much like Obi Wan.
-When she wields the lightsaber her fighting style mimics that of Obi Wan in his younger years
-Both Ewan McGregor’s and Alec Guinness’s voices appear in the key basement lightsaber flashback scene at Maz’s.
-Similar costumes between Rey and Obi Wan.
-The accent
-The way she was poking around Starkiller Base. Very reminiscent of Obi Wan disabling the tractor beam on the Death Star.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

trackerben

Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:00 am

superjawes wrote:
Would those same archives have weeks/months worth of food, water, and breathable air for Krennic to survive the excavation? And while we're at it, WHO would be doing said excavation? (It wouldn't be sympathetic rebels.)

Uncle Owen has a better chance of being Snoke...

Who might be watching the DS development site, ready to exploit it after the battle? Two groups are possible. Vader/Palpatine, because they found Krennic useful and would each have the ability to sense him at a distance. The other would be Snoke and his Imperial agents, of course.

...Also, it would be thematically out of touch for any key character to make it from Rogue One to The Force Awakens (or beyond).

Aside from two droids, a princess, and a rebel pilot who downed a death star, you mean?
Last edited by trackerben on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:07 am

What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

trackerben

Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:12 am

Haha. "Don't tell me my dad never even thought to retrieve it. Leave it to Lando to think up an angle!"

superjawes

Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:57 am

trackerben wrote:
Who might be watching the DS development site, ready to exploit it after the battle? Two groups are possible. Vader/Palpatine, because they found Krennic useful and would each have the ability to sense him at a distance. The other would be Snoke and his Imperial agents, of course.
You mean Darth "I will force choke you to remind you of your place" Vader?

And the site of the final battle was the Imperial Archives, not the development site. That makes it more obscure and more removed from the "main storyline" action that runs through the SW franchise. Snoke is clearly more interested in getting a strong Force user than he is picking up the dude who could get swept aside by Tarin. And if Krennic did have Force connections, Vader(/Palpatine) would have taken interest in him, too (if only to eliminate him).

trackerben wrote:
...Also, it would be thematically out of touch for any key character to make it from Rogue One to The Force Awakens (or beyond).

Aside from a two droids, a princess, and a rebel pilot who downed a death star, you mean?

*Key* characters. There were plenty of nods to characters who would end up in A New Hope, but the main players in Rogue One died violently because the story really is about the boots on the ground war. EVERY member of Rogue One died to complete the mission. The Empire nuked the site as part of the cover-up, killing their own troops in the process. The cause survives. The people do not.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:26 am

Can't remember where I first saw it online, but Rogue One is essentially a space battle version of Where Eagles Dare.

Broadsword calling Danny Boy, Broadsword calling Danny Boy, come in please.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:28 am

Captain Ned wrote:

I'm temped to start a Star Wars Memes thread.
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

trackerben

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:58 am

superjawes wrote:
You mean Darth "I will force choke you to remind you of your place" Vader?

And the site of the final battle was the Imperial Archives, not the development site. That makes it more obscure and more removed from the "main storyline" action that runs through the SW franchise. Snoke is clearly more interested in getting a strong Force user than he is picking up the dude who could get swept aside by Tarin. And if Krennic did have Force connections, Vader(/Palpatine) would have taken interest in him, too (if only to eliminate him)...

Yea, Vader, whom Krennic felt he had enough influence with to go visit.

"The archives" was probably a cover story for the secret construction program. The true nature of the building was described when Tarkin called it out to targeting as the Citadel. Parts of Scarif were surrounded by a force field in similar fashion to the one surrounding the DS2 Endor site, which also featured a humongous dish tower. If Scarif was obscure before, it sure isn't now.

Snoke like Palpatine always pursued Force users, but this did not stop either empire from also developing planet killers. The main difference is that the First Order's technologies were derived from earlier Imperial stuff, some of which might have been provided by Krennic.

*Key* characters. There were plenty of nods to characters who would end up in A New Hope, but the main players in Rogue One died violently because the story really is about the boots on the ground war. EVERY member of Rogue One died to complete the mission. The Empire nuked the site as part of the cover-up, killing their own troops in the process. The cause survives. The people do not.

If you mean key Rebels, then sure, Rogue One was wiped out.

The key Imperials went on rule the galaxy in the original trilogy, with the exception of Galen Erso, who went out in a proper end-of scene. And Krennic supposedly, who was apparently disintegrated in the mother of all head shots. As if mega villains in the SW universe tend to get offed in charitably random incidents.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:12 am

trackerben wrote:
Yea, Vader, whom Krennic felt he had enough influence with to go visit.

I've said it before but will again. Did we watch the same movie?? Krennic didn't "visit" Vader on his own initiative, he was commanded to appear.

trackerben

Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:15 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Can't remember where I first saw it online, but Rogue One is essentially a space battle version of Where Eagles Dare.

Broadsword calling Danny Boy, Broadsword calling Danny Boy, come in please.

Or Age of Heroes + Shout at The Devil.

...I've said it before but will again. Did we watch the same movie?? Krennic didn't "visit" Vader on his own initiative, he was commanded to appear.

Ok. I'll have to watch it again to see why he appears to be so aggressive in fishing for his future prospects.

Redocbew

Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:37 pm

There isn't much that an evil, megalomaniacal, Imperial director would care about other than their own future prospects. Aside from being choked to death by someone even more evil, that is.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:57 pm

Redocbew wrote:
There isn't much that an evil, megalomaniacal, Imperial director would care about other than their own future prospects.  Aside from being choked to death by someone even more evil, that is.

:lol:

Scorpiuscat
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:30 pm

Redocbew wrote:
"I am tired of these motherfracking Siths on this motherfracking plane."

"Which Lightsaber is yours?"
"Its the one that says Bad-Mother-F****** on it!"
All civilizations become either spacefaring or extinct - Carl Sagan

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:43 pm

Scorpiuscat wrote:
"Its the one that says Bad-Mother-F****** on it!"

OMG.  When I read that - the voice inside my head totally sounded like Jackson.
-who would have ever thought that a diseased rhinoceros pizzle like Jackson would go onto become such a Hollywood icon?

It was a good start though, with plenty of "F" word. :P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m61eBU61Y1c

Redocbew

Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:18 pm

Even better would be for Mace Windu to cut someone down with his lightsaber and then say "Oh I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?"
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:13 pm

Yep Rey is 100% related to Obi-wan, either daughter or grand daughter. It's not even a question at this point. TFA was basically a mirror image in the Luke/Obi-wan vs Luke/Rey of a New Hope. So much so that they had to have done it on purpose so that when we do actually know when you go back and watch it it's even more profound.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:13 am

Another reason or clue why I think Rey is a Kennobi is that they just brought back Obi Wan in Rebels this season which, if I am right, will fill the 30 year gap in his timeline. Between Clone Wars and Rebels there's been a lot of backstory on Obi Wan. There's a reason for it.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

superjawes

Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:53 am

tanker27 wrote:
Another reason or clue why I think Rey is a Kennobi is that they just brought back Obi Wan in Rebels this season which, if I am right, will fill the 30 year gap in his timeline. Between Clone Wars and Rebels there's been a lot of backstory on Obi Wan. There's a reason for it.

You mean in addition to his general awesome-ness? :wink:

Hey, don't we have a Force Awakens thread? Might that be a better place for this discussion? We also have Episode VIII on the schedule for this year, so we could start a speculation thread for that movie...

trackerben

Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:10 am

superjawes wrote:
tanker27 wrote:

You mean in addition to his general awesome-ness? :wink:

Hey, don't we have a Force Awakens thread? Might that be a better place for this discussion? We also have Episode VIII on the schedule for this year, so we could start a speculation thread for that movie...

This one. Lets keep the speculation coming.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=116935&hilit=Kenobi&p=1302580#p1302580

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:02 pm

trackerben wrote:
"The archives" was probably a cover story for the secret construction program. The true nature of the building was described when Tarkin called it out to targeting as the Citadel. Parts of Scarif were surrounded by a force field in similar fashion to the one surrounding the DS2 Endor site, which also featured a humongous dish tower. If Scarif was obscure before, it sure isn't now.

Disagree, and an error:

'The archives" may be a modernization/change of the old Imperial Archives on Coruscant, which were always treated as a Empire-scale Library of Congress (everything is in there, no matter how obscure, but access isn't free/commonly given, and finding things without hiring an expert guide is very, very difficult).

The Citadel is a specific reference to the central spire, as opposed to the outlying landing pads and bunkers. Regardless, the word "citadel" does not occur. Pulled up my copy to verify.

Rebel on command bridge: We're detecting a massive object emerging from hyperspace!

*scene cut to Death Star over Scarif*

DS Adjutant: Sir, shall I begin targeting their fleet?
Tarkin: Lord Vader will handle the fleet. Target the base at Scarif, single reactor ignition.

*back to Jen and Cassian on the planet, staggering out of a doorway*

So no. Not Citadel.

Also, "parts" of Scarif were not surrounded by a field, the whole planet was, and the DS2 Endor site was not shielded, the DS2 ITSELF was. The shield *generators* were on Endor's Forest Moon (Endor is the big gas giant).

Scarif being obscure or not means nothing, IMO.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

trackerben

Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:13 pm

Forge wrote:
'...The archives" may be a modernization/change of the old Imperial Archives on Coruscant, which were always treated as a Empire-scale Library of Congress (everything is in there, no matter how obscure, but access isn't free/commonly given, and finding things without hiring an expert guide is very, very difficult)...

...The Citadel is a specific reference to the central spire, as opposed to the outlying landing pads and bunkers. Regardless, the word "citadel" does not occur. Pulled up my copy to verify....

You may be right. My memory's hazy on Tarkin's exact order, I might have conflated it with what Erso might have said earlier in-movie. Also, I had picked up more references to it from the usual sites, confusing me further:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Scarif_vault
"You'll need the plans, the structural plans for the Death Star to find the reactor. I know there's a complete engineering archive in the data vault at the Citadel Tower on Scarif."

...Also, "parts" of Scarif were not surrounded by a field, the whole planet was, and the DS2 Endor site was not shielded, the DS2 ITSELF was. The shield *generators* were on Endor's Forest Moon (Endor is the big gas giant).

I was certain that the DS2 and its shield generator were the only parts of that development that were shielded. That generator complex certainly was. It's why the rebels walked in Solo's team to blow it instead of the usual X/Y-bomber squadron flying in to blast stuff.

Not knowing more about Sharif's shielding, I limited speculation to just "parts" of it as well. One thing's for sure, it's no longer obscure.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:40 pm

trackerben wrote:
Forge wrote:
...Also, "parts" of Scarif were not surrounded by a field, the whole planet was, and the DS2 Endor site was not shielded, the DS2 ITSELF was. The shield *generators* were on Endor's Forest Moon (Endor is the big gas giant).

I was certain that the DS2 and its shield generator were the only parts of that development that were shielded. That generator complex certainly was. It's why the rebels walked in Solo's team to blow it instead of the usual X/Y-bomber squadron flying in to blast stuff.

Not knowing more about Sharif's shielding, I limited speculation to just "parts" of it as well. One thing's for sure, it's no longer obscure.

I'd have to review my copies of all the relevant movies to be sure, but I believe the purpose of a small scale ground strike against the shield generator in ROTJ was to avoid alerting the Empire before the shield dropped, but that all turned out to be so much nonsense anyways. The Imperial Navy was on hand to do the heavy lifting as always, and those Army twats bungled everything yet again. </in-universe.sarcasm>

trackerben

Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:30 am

Forge wrote:
I'd have to review my copies of all the relevant movies to be sure, but I believe the purpose of a small scale ground strike against the shield generator in ROTJ was to avoid alerting the Empire before the shield dropped, but that all turned out to be so much nonsense anyways. The Imperial Navy was on hand to do the heavy lifting as always, and those Army twats bungled everything yet again. </in-universe.sarcasm>

The thing that used to bother me is why the rebel planners didn't have Luke's squadron just fly in. The same shielding as used on the original Death Star couldn't stop X-Wings anyway. Later on, I realized that it was probably protected by a different shield, which could be why the Imperial walkers that the rebel team captured were not used to blast the generator complex.

Yea, the Emperor sure put the "intelligence" in Military Intelligence in its place.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:45 pm

Original DS was operational, had "ray shielding" which was apparently specifically setup to handle capital ship turbolaser fire. Fighters could fly through it, presumably since they were slower and low energy. Second DS didn't have it's shielding operational yet, was basically a half-done shell, with the superlaser getting 95% of the work focus. That's why it needed to be shielded from the Forest Moon. The Forest Moon shield was much more comprehensive, if you watch closely some fighters run into it and are instantly destroyed in ROTJ. Very different setup. The diagram of the shield being projected showed a pretty big base of the funnel on the Forest Moon too, it might have gone out far enough from the emitter to make ground striking fighters unusable.

All speculation, though some of it pretty well informed.

trackerben

Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:28 am

Forge wrote:
...Second DS didn't have it's shielding operational yet, was basically a half-done shell, with the superlaser getting 95% of the work focus. That's why it needed to be shielded from the Forest Moon. The Forest Moon shield was much more comprehensive, if you watch closely some fighters run into it and are instantly destroyed in ROTJ. Very different setup. The diagram of the shield being projected showed a pretty big base of the funnel on the Forest Moon too, it might have gone out far enough from the emitter to make ground striking fighters unusable...

That's great to know, I'm going to watch those scenes again for the shield effects against X-Wings.