Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

CScottG
Gerbil Elite

Re: Rogue One

Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:08 pm

tanker27 wrote:
He's already been cast: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2403277/

Well, here's to hoping he can pull it off.  (..and yup, I'll watch an early Solo - after all I've seen an early Indie that went well, though only briefly.)

Krogoth
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:00 am

CScottG wrote:
tanker27 wrote:
He's already been cast: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2403277/

Well, here's to hoping he can pull it off.  (..and yup, I'll watch an early Solo - after all I've seen an early Indie that went well, though only briefly.)

As long as he shoots first without any ambiguity thrown in. ;)
Last edited by Krogoth on Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ivy Bridge i5-3570K@4.0Ghz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GiB of PC3-12800, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Corsair CX-600 and Fractal Refined R4 (W). Kentsfield Q6600@3Ghz, HD 4850 2x2GiB PC2-6400, Gigabyte EP45-DS4P, OCZ Modstream 700W, and PC-7B.

CScottG
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:08 am

I don't mind a little controversy.  :lol:

(..btw, I liked that he shot first.  Lucas was a total Jar Jar Binks for corrupting that aspect of his character.) :P

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:56 pm

I forgot who complained that they felt Jyn and Cassian teleported to the beach.... I was reviewing my copy this afternoon, there are three shots from different cameras, Jyn and Cassian up top, staggering away, then one of a door opening and them stepping through, then a silent face-to-face with the two slumped against the elevator wall with a light sweeping bottom-to-top over and over as they pass floors. I think it's pretty clear, actually.
Behemoth - Plex server
Galactica - FreeNAS
Pegasus - R710 ESX host
fsociety - MBP 15
Rocinante - E5530 testing machine
Saratoga, Ticonderoga, BunkerHill - the Hydra desktop PC-thing.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:27 pm

Forge wrote:
I forgot who complained that they felt Jyn and Cassian teleported to the beach.... I was reviewing my copy this afternoon, there are three shots from different cameras, Jyn and Cassian up top, staggering away, then one of a door opening and them stepping through, then a silent face-to-face with the two slumped against the elevator wall with a light sweeping bottom-to-top over and over as they pass floors. I think it's pretty clear, actually.

Agreed, as I do recall the Trek "turbolift" effect.

That said, it didn't take long to suss out that in order not to throw unfixable wrenches in 4-6 continuity there would be no survivors. The only question would be the manner and quality.

I have no idea if it's a stand-alone project Disney has even thought of, but I would like at some point to see the Bothans' sacrifice get its day on film (what/who ever Bothans may be).

Finally, whoever was running DS targeting at Scarif should be damn glad that Vader was not on board. At least that guy died quickly from blaster fire.
If the Earth were flat, cats would have pushed everything off of it by now.

Kougar
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:41 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Well, since one of the Disney stand-alones is supposed to be Han Solo's origin story, I think you'll get your wish.

Damn, already? Guess I shouldn't be surprised Disney was ready and waiting to jump into another.

Captain Ned wrote:
I have no idea if it's a stand-alone project Disney has even thought of, but I would like at some point to see the Bothans' sacrifice get its day on film (what/who ever Bothans may be).

You can be sure beyond any doubt Disney thought of it, probably was high on the list of possible Star Wars universe projects. They're going to make as many Star Wars universe flicks as they can to pair alongside 8 and 9 and just want to put some space between it and Rogue One. It'd probably come off as too similar to Rogue One in plot if they made it anytime soon.

Airmantharp
Gold subscriber
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:20 am

We get VIII this year, so we can probably expect the next non-serial in 2018. Unless they want to be even more aggressive...

But at least Rogue One puts on a good start for the 'Star Wars Stories' in cinema, leaving people more open to the idea of others that perhaps explore the universe (as it now exists) from other perspectives.
Canon 6D|24-105/4L |70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|50/1.4 USM|50/2.5 CM|50/1.8 STM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8|24/2.8 IS|Sigma 150-600 | C
Canon EOS-M|11-22 IS|22/2|EF-M 18-55

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:23 am

Unless civilization ends, I expect Disney to be making movies set in the Star Wars universe well past my expiration date. They know a cash cow when they see it.

(And I'll keep going to see them as long as they manage to keep the quality up.)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:37 am

just brew it! wrote:
Unless civilization ends, I expect Disney to be making movies set in the Star Wars universe well past my expiration date. They know a cash cow when they see it.
(And I'll keep going to see them as long as they manage to keep the quality up.)

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2017 ... -wars.html
$4,050,000,000 is a significant investment.  They expect to make it back.
i7-6700K, NT06-Pro, GA-Z170N-Gaming5, 32 GiB, RX Vega56, SM951, 5TB HDD, Blu-ray, FTZ01, SX600-G, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:00 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:

Well, they're at least halfway there with the first 2 films alone above and beyond merchandising and the inevitable Blu-Ray profits. Of course, due to Hollywood Accounting the films will officially lose money (to the detriment of all the actors), but no one ever believes that crap.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:05 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2017 ... -wars.html

I wonder if they make more money on the movies, or the merchandising and brand licensing? The two go hand-in-hand, of course; the merch and such would be less lucrative if they didn't keep cranking out the movies.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

trackerben
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:50 am

Great SW movie with the usual inconsistencies, including WWII-style fighting and doctrine. From the midpoint on it becomes a straightforward war story that reminds me somewhat of Shout at The Devil, except that it's the daughter and not the father who comes after the enemy commander.

It paid homage to heroic actions by teams at all levels that were instrumental in delivering the plans. If not for the ordinary rebel troops who gave their lives to get literally a step ahead of their enemies, everything else would have been in vain.

One reason why they they didn't show Krennic's end may be that his character is an obvious candidate for Rey's absentee father in TFA. That's my speculation, and it's past time anyway for the Imperials to have their own light/dark cycle mirroring that of the Skywalkers. The many scenes of political machinations among the Emperor's admirals may be a set up for a backstory along these lines.

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:03 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
druidcent wrote:
Maybe they are working their way backwards in time with the Star Wars Story franchise.. Maybe the next one will be a piece between Ep. 3 and Rogue One... :D

Well, since one of the Disney stand-alones is supposed to be Han Solo's origin story, I think you'll get your wish.

They should make a Mace Windu prequel movie. Call it... call it 'Siths on a Plane'. Not PG-13.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:46 pm

"I am tired of these motherfracking Siths on this motherfracking plane."
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

CScottG
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:18 pm

Redocbew wrote:
"I am tired of these motherfracking Siths on this motherfracking plane."

-it's said that it is a requirement he has in most of his movies. :lol:  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJDp2UUW_iY
I wonder if he get's paid by the MF?

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:37 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
That said, it didn't take long to suss out that in order not to throw unfixable wrenches in 4-6 continuity there would be no survivors. The only question would be the manner and quality.

I agree and expected the same. I did hear/see about a really interesting idea about two weeks before the movie came out, though. If you look at one of the group pictures of the Rogue One core team, and you look at the most common picture of the Kinghts of Ren, the numbers match up and the poses matched up. The theory was that the Rogues and many of the Rebels were captured on Scarif, got the plans out, but were then thrown into the Lusankya prison or something similar (explaining why they hadn't been heard from during 4-6). They were broken down mentally over the ~30 years and brainwashed into obedient evil minions, and Kylo Ren found them shortly after turning to the dark side under Snoke. Feeling the similarity of circumstance, he chose them to be his first enforcers.

Ended up not being the case, but I liked the theme, and I think it would have been fun to link one of the "oldest" new movies to the newest new movie in this way.
Behemoth - Plex server
Galactica - FreeNAS
Pegasus - R710 ESX host
fsociety - MBP 15

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:59 pm

Forge wrote:
Kinghts of Ren

Oh dear, a Pythonian slip.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:13 pm

trackerben wrote:
One reason why they they didn't show Krennic's end may be that his character is an obvious candidate for Rey's absentee father in TFA. That's my speculation, and it's past time anyway for the Imperials to have their own light/dark cycle mirroring that of the Skywalkers. The many scenes of political machinations among the Emperor's admirals may be a set up for a backstory along these lines.

Damn boy, you must have access to the finest mind-altering substances. If Cassian's blaster or the falling wreckage of the comms dish didn't kill him, he was vaporized a few seconds before Jyn & Cassian, as I don't recall any shot showing a ship landing on that platform for a dust-off (and we saw on Jedha what it took for a ship to escape the blast wave).

Besides, it's been speculated that the empty chair next to Tarkin in the Ep.4 conference room scene belonged to Krennic. Probably a retcon, but one that makes perfect sense.

Krennic is pinin' for the fjords. He is part of the Choir Eternal. He is an ex-Director. He would not VOOM if you put 4,000 volts through him.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:14 pm

Kniggits that say Ni.
Behemoth - Plex server
Galactica - FreeNAS
Pegasus - R710 ESX host
fsociety - MBP 15

trackerben
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:52 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Damn boy, you must have access to the finest mind-altering substances. If Cassian's blaster or the falling wreckage of the comms dish didn't kill him, he was vaporized a few seconds before Jyn & Cassian, as I don't recall any shot showing a ship landing on that platform for a dust-off (and we saw on Jedha what it took for a ship to escape the blast wave).//

It would seem Krennic got rendered into his constituent atoms. But these new SW movies are into misdirection. Not everything is as it seems. If the rebels' dynamic duo could make it to the beach for a sunset shot, why couldn't the Director move a few floors down to the most protected place on the planet, the armored archive vault? Only the top of the tower was clipped by the DS beam.

If he were to become disenchanted with the Empire after what happened and bailed out like his former subordinate did, wouldn't it be convenient if everyone thinks he's a goner? Especially if Snoke's faction were to recruit him to manage their own planet-killer project?
Last edited by trackerben on Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:57 pm

Well, if you're going to run down that hallway, why not just wonder if Krennic *is* Smoke?
Behemoth - Plex server
Galactica - FreeNAS
Pegasus - R710 ESX host
fsociety - MBP 15

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:53 pm

trackerben wrote:
Only the top of the tower was clipped by the DS beam.

And the crustal-level giga-tsunami wouldn't have finished the job? You know, the same one that took Jyn and Cassian? The blast wave destroyed mountains on Jedha, yet a mere building would have survived? Granted, the DS gunner was a poor shot, but Tarkin's express intent was to destroy the facility, and destroyed it was.

Seriously. You need to stop finding millenarian tropes in everything.

trackerben
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:01 pm

Forge wrote:
Well, if you're going to run down that hallway, why not just wonder if Krennic *is* Smoke?

Well yea, 'Snoke-Krennic' was a thought. But his story is that of a lurker who has been shadowing Palpatine, which rules Krennic out. You've got to wonder how Snoke and Ren know so many details of the Empire's final days, its leaders' decisions. It's likely that someone like Krennic had joined Snoke's circle and provided that inside information.

Isn't it interesting that the exile which Galen Erso had planned for his daughter Jyn isn't too different from what had been planned for Rey, whoever her father was? You'd kind of wonder where he got that idea...

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:10 pm

Put down the bong and walk away slowly. This is Disney. While there will be some plot folds, they will not require the Infinite Improbability Drive to unfold.

trackerben
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:17 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
And the crustal-level giga-tsunami wouldn't have finished the job? You know, the same one that took Jyn and Cassian? The blast wave destroyed mountains on Jedha, yet a mere building would have survived? Granted, the DS gunner was a poor shot, but Tarkin's express intent was to destroy the facility, and destroyed it was.

Seriously. You need to stop finding millenarian tropes in everything.

I had my old agnostic movie mode hat on, but seriously SW is all about derivative millenarian stuff. A Republic policed by temple guardians and a religious senate that has stood a thousand years, right?

Anyway, if anything would have been designed to survive every possible contingency, the archives would be it. Think of it as a primary data site with galactic-class security. There's no Hollywood reason why such a self-contained vault could not have withstood a waterborne tsunami as opposed to ground shock waves, submerged or even floated like the ships that washed ashore after Japan's Fukushima disaster.
Last edited by trackerben on Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:20 pm

trackerben wrote:
There's no Hollywood reason why such a self-contained vault could not have withstood a waterborne tsunami as opposed to ground shock waves, submerged or even floated like the ships that washed ashore after Japan's Fukushima disaster.

You and I apparently watched completely different movies.

trackerben
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:35 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
You and I apparently watched completely different movies.

Lol yeah, but just imagine how the scriptwriters and directors must be arguing. Disney's SW team has the equivalent of a frameworks and conventions lead just to make sure that all series "modules" are developed properly.

superjawes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:26 am

trackerben wrote:
Anyway, if anything would have been designed to survive every possible contingency, the archives would be it. Think of it as a primary data site with galactic-class security. There's no Hollywood reason why such a self-contained vault could not have withstood a waterborne tsunami as opposed to ground shock waves, submerged or even floated like the ships that washed ashore after Japan's Fukushima disaster.
Would those same archives have weeks/months worth of food, water, and breathable air for Krennic to survive the excavation? And while we're at it, WHO would be doing said excavation? (It wouldn't be sympathetic rebels.)

Uncle Owen has a better chance of being Snoke.

Also, it would be thematically out of touch for any key character to make it from Rogue One to The Force Awakens (or beyond).
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:40 am

superjawes wrote:
Also, it would be thematically out of touch for any key character to make it from Rogue One to The Force Awakens (or beyond).

I would also be extremely skeptical of this.
Main rig: Ryzen 1600@3.75GHz, R9 290@1050MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

tanker27
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:28 am

If Krennic ends up being Rey's releative I am gonna be one pissed off fan.

I am sure as ...... that Rey is a Kennobi.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!