Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

GeekyGirl
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

It's been so long!

Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:03 am

Wow, I haven't been here in so long! Happy to see the same people still trolling around here!

I feel like I have lost a big part of my geekiness...I have a really bad stroke this past March which hit 7 places in my brain...all of which are on the left side of my brain...the geeky side.  :(  I have had to relearn how to to read and do simple math. I still struggle with simple subtraction. I am working hard to retrain my brain and is it working. Until I got the shocking news 2 days before Christmas that I have to have brain surgery. 

I have always said that my health can mess with my body but not my brain. It obviously didn't listen! Doctors told me that my being 50/50 right and left brained and the fact that I am a brainiac literally saved my life! Woo-hoo! I never thought my geekiness would be life-saving. Hopefully the surgery will be life-saving too!

For those of you that believe in some kind of spiritual being, please pray for me..I can use all the prayers I can get right now.
NEW SYSTEM DETAILS: i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz |16 GB RAM| NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 | Solid State HDD | 1 TB HDD | and numerous external drives

kvndoom
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: It's been so long!

Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:07 am

Oh my goodness! That was a rough 2016. :(

I do hope it all turns out well. Keeps us posted whenever you can!
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:14 am

Holy cow! :o I'm sorry to hear that.

Well, welcome back (wish it was under better circumstances though), and I hope your surgery goes well.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:41 am

Is the whole thing related to the accident a few years ago?
Good luck with the operation!

Kougar

Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:29 am

Once a geek always a geek... that you're working on relearning proves it.  :)

I wish you well with your operation! Please keep us updated on how it turns out.

Cuhulin
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:42 am

Glad to see you made it back despite the stroke!

The brain is amazingly plastic, so I am sure that, with time, you will recover.

You're in my prayers.

cu
For Work: Corsair One Pro, i7-7700, 16GB, GTX 1080, Samsung 49KS8000 and 2xAsus 27" 4K, 2 x Sonos Play 5

For Play: Ryzen 5, MSI B350M, 8GB, Radeon 580 and building....

Redocbew

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:52 am

What makes a geek is curiosity. Stick with that, in whatever form works best for you and you'll always be a geek. :D
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:20 am

Girl my thoughts and prayers are with you!! I thought i had some problems but bless your soul and you. just your post is inspiring and something tells me you will be fine but i cant help feeling sad just hearing this news  :(
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:28 am

Waiting to hear from you soon GG.

You will be in my prayers. :)

sunner
Gerbil

Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:16 am

Dear Geeky Girl,
welcome back!
I'm a Catholic and will pray at Mass to Our Lord Jesus and His Blessed Mother
for your successful operation and swift recovery.
God bless you, please let us know how things go, and don't be afraid to unload
on us, all your hopes and sorrows...after all, dear girl, what are friends for? 
Sunner

GeekyGirl
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:16 pm

:wink:

Oops! Messed up this post and corrected it in the next post. Sorry. It wouldn't let me delete this post.
Last edited by GeekyGirl on Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GeekyGirl
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:40 pm

meerkt wrote:
Is the whole thing related to the accident a few years ago?
Good luck with the operation!

Wow! You remember that?!? That is amazing!  No it is not related to the accident. It is actually a genetic thing called MoyaMoya

[b]sunner wrote:[/b]

[size=100] Dear Geeky Girl,
welcome back!
I'm a Catholic and will pray at Mass to Our Lord Jesus and His Blessed Mother
for your successful operation and swift recovery.
God bless you, please let us know how things go, and don't be afraid to unload
on us, all your hopes and sorrows...after all, dear girl, what are friends for? 
Sunner
[/size]

I am Catholic also. Thank you for the prayers and well wishes!

If anyone cares to follow my progress, I set up a special Facebook page just for health updates.

On the positive side...if I am a Geek/Brainiac already...just imagine my brain power when my left side of my brain gets the proper flood flow too it!  :lol:

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:10 am

GeekyGirl wrote:
Wow! You remember that?!? That is amazing!  No it is not related to the accident. It is actually a genetic thing called MoyaMoya

Oh, no, it's wasn't like that. You said "in so long", so I checked how long and saw your previous posts. :)

And, stupid genetics... :-/

GeekyGirl
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:16 pm

meerkt wrote:
GeekyGirl wrote:

Oh, no, it's wasn't like that. You said "in so long", so I checked how long and saw your previous posts. :)

And, stupid genetics... :-/

That makes more sense! If you had remembered it, that would have beyond being Super Geek! But I am still impressed that you looked up my previous posts so it is still worthy of a gold star!  LOL :P

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:32 pm

Thanks. I'll add it to my collection of assorted stars. :)

GeekyGirl
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:24 pm

My surgery brain surgery went well with a few new bumps in the road...I have to relearn how to spell so thank God for spellcheck! I know how picky some of you are about spelling errors. :lol:
If I made some grammar mistakes, I apologize since I have to relearn my grammar and reading skills too. So don't get techy on me right now in my other post.

I know some of you asked for more information so this link is a good overview without getting too medical. I won't until August after having a brain angiogram if the surgery actually worked. The recoup time for the surgery is 6 month to a year. It brought back all the cognitive issues I had with the stroke so I am back to relearning a lot but that is where my geekiness helps because I seem to be learning at a good rate. The hardest part is that I can't be on the computer for any period of time..like less than an hour a day...but I tend to extend that time a little more. Having to type is actually helping me a great bit. With the stroke, I went into Second Life and that was all typing so I regained that part quickly. This time, It is hard for me to read the responses as they scroll up.

I have a nice little scar now but the doctor only shaved a tiny about of my hair so you couldn't even see that I had a scar right after the surgery. If fact, a doctor excused me of lying about the surgery in order to get pain meds. Then she read my case and said to me, "Oh, you were telling the truth. Good thing the surgery report was here."

ok,,on other reasoon I am posting....questions about some hard drives.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:53 pm

GeekyGirl wrote:
I have a nice little scar now but the doctor only shaved a tiny about of my hair so you couldn't even see that I had a scar right after the surgery.

The other way to go with this is to create a fantastic, utterly hilarious story about how you got the scar, and then figure out how to deliver it with a straight face. Something like,
"... So there I was, a badger's tooth still lodged in my skull -- check the scar! -- as I stood as the only line of defense between the escaped king cobra and those poor, lost kindergarteners ...

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:31 pm

Glad to hear your surgery went well. Hope you have a speedy and complete recovery!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:42 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
The other way to go with this is to create a fantastic, utterly hilarious story about how you got the scar, and then figure out how to deliver it with a straight face. Something like,
"... So there I was, a badger's tooth still lodged in my skull -- check the scar! -- as I stood as the only line of defense between the escaped king cobra and those poor, lost kindergarteners ...

I was thinking more along the lines of the Rabbit of Caerbannog.

Get well soon.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:27 pm

I'm glad the surgery went well. I hope you have a speedy and full recovery!
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

toki
Gerbil XP

Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:49 am

I am very happy that you did so well with the surgery! I know you have never seen me before but I want to wish you the speediest of recoveries.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:01 am

Glad to hear your surgery went well. Hope you make a quick and full recovery.