Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

SuperSpy
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: First time home buyer

Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:58 am

I haven't had much issue with my LG front loader washer and dryer units. The dryer has been fantastic, and the washer which is a HE unit worked fine for about 7 years until it started having pumping issues and throwing a code on the final rinse/drain, but I resolved that fairly easily by taking off the front cover and opening the clean-out drain and letting some truly horrible gunk out of the pump basin. After that, it has been working fine again.

As far as new home tips, the first thing off the top of my head is to remove the cover plates on the outlets and switches and visually inspect them. I don't know how familiar you are with wiring but basically you want to just look for anything obvious like bare wires or wires that look burnt or melted. Any thing like that you would want to replace/have replaced, but between that and the condition of the breaker panel, it will give you a general idea of what to expect with the electrical system in the house.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: i7 740QM | 12 GB | Mobility Radeon 5850 | Windows 10 x64

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:11 pm

I do not know if anyone has already said this but if you are going to pull cable(of any kind) always put in a service loop. Which is a coil of about a meter and a half of cable. This gives you lots of flexibility in case you ever need to relocate something.

Second always run pull string through with your pulls. So easy to run another line when there is a string to tape it to and pull through. (Remember to run new string at the same time).
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

farmpuma
Silver subscriber
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:07 am

G8torbyte wrote:
Currently have a basic top-load GE manual dial washer which was good for the last 16 year but now stalls out in the spin cycle. I'm liking that sexy non-digital SpeedQueen model with all metal, analog-sweetness. I have three kids and I'm helping the wife with laundry every frigging day now.

Have tried tightening the drive belt? Over the years it tends to stretch a little.
Image Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy.

Pville_Piper
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:10 am

The guy who did your home inspection lied to you...
Windows10, Antec EA650 Power Supply, Acer XB270H G-synch monitor, MSI Krait Gaming 3X, I7 6700K, 16 gigs of CORSAIR Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz ram, HyperX 3K 240 gig SSD, MSI GTX970

TheEmrys

Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:35 am

The one thing I would recommend is getting a subscription to Consumer Reports any time you are going to get any appliance or household goods. Its led me to get silly little Bissell vacuums for $70 versus much, much higher priced offerings. It lasted 10 years before it got a bit weak in operatio , and I bought another, moving the other into basement duties. I always buy based on the CR Best Value or Beat Buy. Helped me get a great washer, gas stove, dishwasher, for much less than my feared budget.
Sony RX1rII

G8torbyte
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:17 pm

farmpuma wrote:
Have tried tightening the drive belt? Over the years it tends to stretch a little.

Thanks, I haven't taken it apart yet since it does still function somewhat. It stalls more now on heavier loads than in the past. I checked out some DIY posts on Youtube and there were several guides to check drive belt, clutch and drain pump. I'll give it a shot soon but I can't complain really, it served well for over 16 years and it was a cheaper model. With the large amount of laundry we're doing now I'm leaning toward a commercial grade washer.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs and gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991
Current setups: X99 Command/Control Station and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:52 pm

superjawes wrote:
Washers/Dryers: Back in the thread on exploding Samsung appliances, I think SpeedQueen was the popular recommendation for indestructible appliances. I haven't run into any issues with my Samsung pair, but I also only do laundry for two adults (and we tend to do fewer, larger loads, so we will never run into the kind of wear that a proper family will see).

Washer/Dryer:
Buy this used. If you live in a reasonably urban area, you can find a constant supply of these things on Craigslist. I bought my washer and dryer together for $250 from someone who had just got married and was combining households. One of my friends paid $200 to get a set nicer than mine. A coworker of mine bought a set of high end units for $500 from another coworker. None of us have had any trouble.

Buy washer/dryer used. You can buy used 3 times for the price you pay for new. Even if you have problems with one of them in a few years, you just buy another used one and still come out ahead.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Sapphire Radeon 6950

e1jones
Gerbil

Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:19 pm

Just to reiterate some things mentioned above, from my own experience...

- Plan on a patch panel, and probably a switch in an accessible location. I put a 24 port patch panel & switch in the garage that everything in the house eventually runs through.
- Run lots of Ethernet cable to anywhere in the house you can access and/or may need access to in the future. When in doubt, pull extras. 10 of the 24 ports are in use.... should have pulled more before I insulated the attic. Even added a 4plex of cat5 ports to the office... probably should have done 6 ;)
- Leave coax wherever it is... you never know. Though the sat DVR needed 'better' coax pulled than the existing land based service.
- The modular wall plates are awesome... my living room is 3 cat5 (one to the patch panel & switch, the other 2 returning) and 2 coax (one for the modem the other for the sat DVR) and one spare port. Other rooms are multiple cat5 with room to spare.
Gigabyte Ultra Gaming Z270 - i5 7600 - CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2 - GIGABYTE Windforce GTX 1060 6GB - Crucial BX100 500G

southrncomfortjm
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:11 pm

For home-wide Ethernet, look into MOCA adapters. They are really great at delivering Ethernet-level speeds and they use the existing COAX connections in your home. I used that to set up full speed wired and wireless internet in the basement of a home that wasn't getting great signal throughout. Worked perfectly.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

HTPC: i3 3225/H77/8gb g.skill 1.25v/1+2TB HDD/Asus BR/Silverstone GD05B/Antec 380w/Win10

llisandro
Gerbil

Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:23 pm

<mods pls move if desired- unsure if people would prefer i necro the thread to keep the info together, or start a new thread>

Anyone have suggestions for home security systems?

Also in the process of closing on a new house, wondering if anyone could share thoughts/experiences on traditional vs "modern" connected home security systems? Mulling over some kind of DIY security system, since we're not in a high-crime area, we won't have a land-line, and cameras would be more useful for non-crime events like "did a dog get into our trash" and the like, but IoT devices with this sort of thing just seems like a bad idea to me, so I'm on the fence in terms of features versus hackability.

druidcent

Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:41 pm

For a monitored service, we use Frontpoint.

I also picked up Samsung SmartCam when they were on sale for $120 to act like a Ring doorbell. It would really depend on your needs, but, I like Frontpoint, since I installed all the equipment myself, it works on a cell system, and I don't have to actually worry about every single alert (which is what the SmartCam does :P) Also, I got a deal on the sensors, since I told them ADT was asking about installing a system for us, and I needed 2 extra window and one motion sensor.

himmaing1992
Gerbil In Training

Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:59 am

Hi Vhalidictes,
Just joined now. I am going to buy my first house. Read your tips. They were very helpful to me. because I visited 2-3 places which were not safe. So thanks a lot your tips are very helpful
Thanks

Anovoca
Silver subscriber
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:47 am

Some updates for you guys. I found out house already had 200amps coming in so I was good their. 5gz reception with the router in the great room reaches every square inch of the house so I did not bother running cables (yet), except between the router and my PLEX server, which are actually in the same entertainment center; so no real effort required. Just got upgraded to 100/10 internet speed last week so we are sitting good and pretty. Most indoor renos are complete with the exception to plastering the drywall in the movie room. I also intend (once the walls are done) to run a black cage fence between the cinema area the work out area and decorate the cinema area with some UFC and boxing posters/merch.

Here are some picks of the new pad: clicky

What was a reno is non-obvious without much for before pictures. but the big ones are the laundry and the spa room. The laundry room was just an empty closet with two hook-ups and a lone white shelf on the wall when I moved in. The spa room had the plumbing and walls done but no ceiling, no floor, and no decor except for an ugly plain edge-less mirror that got tossed.
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

ludi
Darth Gerbil

Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:50 am

Anovoca wrote:
Some updates for you guys.

Looking nice. Would recommend running a bit of Cat6 to the main floor rooms and coiling it behind blank wallplates before finishing that basement ceiling though. It's a pain to run cables through finished spaces later.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Waco
Gold subscriber

Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:55 am

ludi wrote:
Anovoca wrote:

Looking nice. Would recommend running a bit of Cat6 to the main floor rooms and coiling it behind blank wallplates before finishing that basement ceiling though. It's a pain to run cables through finished spaces later.

This, so much this. In-wall wiring is wonderful down the road, even if you think you may not need it now.
Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon | 6700K @ 4.5 | 16 GB | GTX Titan X | Seasonix Gold 850 | XSPC RX360 | Heatkiller R3 | D5 + RP-452X2 | Cosmos II | Samsung 4K 40" | 480 + 240 + LSI 9207-8i (128x8) SSDs

Anovoca
Silver subscriber
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:37 am

ludi wrote:
Anovoca wrote:

Not going to finish the ceiling in the basement. It helps trap sound which prevents echo from the cinema's surround sound system bouncing around the concrete basement walls. Also it would increase my property taxes by too much for just cosmetics.
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral