Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Just lost my cat Zoe

Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:14 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
I've always had cats. I grew up with cats from infancy through university and beyond. I never had a dog until we bought the house. As long as I live in this house I will have cats (old house, stone foundation, dirt cellar, rodent Studio 54, do the math), but no matter where I live in the future I will never again not have a dog.

I'm allergic to cats, and we were not "dog people" either until about 10 years ago, when our oldest daughter (who had moved back home after finishing college) talked us into letting her get a puppy because "it'll only be temporary, I'll be getting my own place and moving out in a few months". Well, when the daughter and dog moved out (she didn't move far, mind you... just 20 minutes up the road to the next town over) my wife was a basket case.

That was when we adopted Dezi (a Shiba Inu rescue, whom I've posted about previously).

After we lost Dezi a year and a half ago, we adopted Latte (mutt, best guess is Corgi + Red Heeler). I guess you could say we're committed dog people now too.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:42 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I guess you could say we're committed dog people now too.

Given everything I've read it was the human/dog symbiosis (let us be honest, this is symbiosis in the truest sense) that truly allowed humanity to successfully spread over the globe. It's why dogs are adapted to gain nutrition from grains while cats are still obligate predators (i.e. WE NEED MEAT, or, at least, certain amino acids in our kibble). Humanity has bent the wolf/dog genome to eat what we eat.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:33 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
It's why dogs are adapted to gain nutrition from grains while cats are still obligate predators (i.e. WE NEED MEAT, or, at least, certain amino acids in our kibble).

Could've fooled me, with the single-mindedness both of our dogs have gone after anything that moves. Birds, rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, mice, you name it. Latte even managed to snatch a bird out of mid-air not too long ago; surprised the heck out of me, as she's generally a bit of a klutz (but has a "turbo" mode where she's able to move amazingly fast... my wife calls it "dog missile").

I guess I can understand the dog hatred of squirrels regardless. They're a**holes, and seem to take special delight in trolling dogs. Closest Latte's gotten to actually catching one was a mouthful of tail fur though; they're smarter than the other critters.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:38 pm

Getting back on topic, I'm raising a glass to Zoe's memory.

While I did not know her well, I believe I've actually met her (briefly), while helping Starfalcon carry his TRBBQ swapfest loot up to his apartment a couple of years ago.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:59 am

just brew it! wrote:
Getting back on topic, I'm raising a glass to Zoe's memory.

While I did not know her well, I believe I've actually met her (briefly), while helping Starfalcon carry his TRBBQ swapfest loot up to his apartment a couple of years ago.

yeah you did, she was a very friendly cat who liked to meet new people.

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite

Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:20 am

Had to put the family dog down a few years ago. I cried like a baby on the phone with my mom for about an hour. I called to comfort her and she ended up comforting me.

It's hard to know how much some things mean to us until we lose them.

Have a pint and be happy to look forward to the next thing you love so much you'll surprise yourself with how you miss it. Be well!

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite

Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:23 am

just brew it! wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
It's why dogs are adapted to gain nutrition from grains while cats are still obligate predators (i.e. WE NEED MEAT, or, at least, certain amino acids in our kibble).

Could've fooled me, with the single-mindedness both of our dogs have gone after anything that moves. Birds, rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, mice, you name it. Latte even managed to snatch a bird out of mid-air not too long ago; surprised the heck out of me, as she's generally a bit of a klutz (but has a "turbo" mode where she's able to move amazingly fast... my wife calls it "dog missile").

I guess I can understand the dog hatred of squirrels regardless. They're a**holes, and seem to take special delight in trolling dogs. Closest Latte's gotten to actually catching one was a mouthful of tail fur though; they're smarter than the other critters.

Where I live, we just shoot the squirrels. 12 gauge seems to be pretty effective at nebulizing squirrel. Don't use anything smaller or they can turn into projectiles in the lawn mower. I really wish this was a joke.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:23 am

Not an option here. Suburban subdivision, but close enough to the edge of the sprawl that we get all the critters. Had an opossum get into our basement a couple of weeks ago. And sometimes you can hear coyotes at night.

My father (who lives in the city) waged a futile years-long battle with the squirrels, trapping, transporting, and releasing dozens -- if not hundreds -- of them in a forest preserve a mile or so away. At least it helped him keep busy after he retired.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:57 am

My wife and I foster dogs and cats, so please take one if you're a loving home!
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:03 am

MileageMayVary wrote:
My wife and I foster dogs and cats, so please take one if you're a loving home!

All of my critters have come from rescue/foster operations or local Humane Societies.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:04 pm

Sorry for your loss Starfalcon