Just spotted this on the front page about ten minutes ago:

http://imgur.com/56MSsnZ
<3 TR

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Re: dating ads on TR?

Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:36 pm

I'd buy that for a dollar!
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

Ummagumma
Gerbil

Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:55 pm

deruberhanyok wrote:

... and web site owners & administrators wonder why the web browsing world is using ad-blocking software more and more. :roll:

There is a time & space for stuff like this and I don't think TR is that place.

Granted guys will be guys, but what would a female that is also a geek say who may be interested in TR about such misogyny? :(
Did you expect to read anything useful here?

DrDominodog51
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:00 pm

That ad is in an adsense slot. I don't think TR controls the ad adsense places in those slots.
A10-7850K; GA-F2A88XN-WIFI, 16 GB of 2400MHz DDR3, 500 GB Team Group L5 SSD

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:02 pm

The ads are getting worse, I'm considering blocking again. Also, I just saw a banner ad for an ad-blocker (Ad Remover), which I'm pretty sure is a Trojan? WTH, TR.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:06 pm

If I had a dollar for every forum thread where someone began ranting about a current crop of bad ads, INSTEAD of looking at the previous threads about the same thing where TR encouraged users to take note of offending content and report it to staff for blacklisting...I'd have enough money to make TR ad-free for life.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

morphine
TR Staff

Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:46 pm

ludi wrote:
If I had a dollar for every forum thread where someone began ranting about a current crop of bad ads, INSTEAD of looking at the previous threads about the same thing where TR encouraged users to take note of offending content and report it to staff for blacklisting...I'd have enough money to make TR ad-free for life.

There we go.

Here's the thing, folks.

1) AdSense spots (easily identifiable by the two blue icons at the top-right) work using your browser and search history. This is not a judgement, because often the most innocuous of searches can result in... interesting results. 99.99% of the time that you get a funky ad (or more), history is the reason.
-------- 1.1) Click the "X" mark at the top-right corner of the ad and you can tell Google it's not appropriate, and there are very good chances that that ad and others of its ilk won't bother you any further.

2) If there's an actual need to block a specific ad (has happened a couple or three times), we need to know where it links to, so we need you to click through at least once.

Keep in mind that websites aren't usually in control of their "generic" ads, since they come through advertising networks. We do our darned best to keep the site clean, though.

(Tangent: users have no idea what we go through to accomplish that. But that's another story.)
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:59 pm

ZOMG, morphine wants us to click on teh ads!

Seriously though, you have no idea the effort the TR goes though to avoid "bad" ads.

Over the weekend, I reported an ad to Bruno, he literally stopped what he was doing and went back home immediately to adjust things/kill the offending ad. I'm pretty sure he was on a date. :o

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:43 pm

Thanks, reported the Ad to Google, no TR stuff required. I didn't know that you could do that.

deruberhanyok
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:48 pm

sorry guys, didn't realize I could report directly to the TR peeps. Last time I saw stuff like this I just reported it here.

@ludi not ranting, just reporting. I know they try to keep stuff that's way off-base for TR off of the site, and I was trying to help.
<3 TR

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:50 pm

drfish wrote:
I'm pretty sure he was on a date.

Yeah! With a hot latam babe!

fhohj
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:56 pm

I don't know what your beef is. In my opinion, hot latin beauties are the perfect compliment to some aggregate production software benchmark graphs.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:08 pm

I guess nobody remembers the Zalman Reserator review: http://techreport.com/review/6860/zalma ... r-cooler/8
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

MOSFET
Gerbil XP

Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:09 pm

I get to see hotties in my ads too. I'm not sure whether to complain - probably not, although it's not ideally SFW.
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:16 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I guess nobody remembers the Zalman Reserator review: http://techreport.com/review/6860/zalma ... r-cooler/8

I totally forgot about that review. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

morphine
TR Staff

Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:17 pm

drfish wrote:
ZOMG, morphine wants us to click on teh ads!

Seriously though, you have no idea the effort the TR goes though to avoid "bad" ads.

Over the weekend, I reported an ad to Bruno, he literally stopped what he was doing and went back home immediately to adjust things/kill the offending ad. I'm pretty sure he was on a date. :o

No, we'd went out for coffee with friends, but when we got to the café they suddenly had stuff to do and we headed back, and just as we'd reached their place and were settling down, bam. I hadn't brought the iPad with me so I had to go back home (which was a couple streets away, but still grrrrrrrWTFFFF).
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:47 pm

I'm always amused when folks complain about an ad when the content of the ad may well have been chosen based on their previous browsing history, or the demographic they're calculated to belong to based on their location and browsing history. Not saying that's the case here (or for most TR users, actually, who are generally smart enough to turn off tracking and 3rd party cookies, decline providing their location data, and use things like incognito mode and alternative browsers when, uh, visiting questionable parts of the internet) but I certainly have seen it in person (older family friend: "Why the heck am I getting these offensive ads!?" Me: *looks at browser history* "Well, here's the thing....")

Pancake
Gerbil First Class

Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:55 pm

deruberhanyok wrote:

Well, that's interesting. I get ads for hot Asian babes. Probably because of my geographical proximity to Asia... Not because I go searching for hot Asian babes on the Internet or anything...

coolflame57
Gerbil

Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:22 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
Thanks, reported the Ad to Google, no TR stuff required. I didn't know that you could do that.

Is there any way to do this with YT ads? I keep getting ads for horror movies that make me S*** my pants and I want it to stop.

I.S.T.
Gerbil XP

Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:50 pm

coolflame57 wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:

Is there any way to do this with YT ads? I keep getting ads for horror movies that make me S*** my pants and I want it to stop.

I'll be honest I wish horror movies scared me like they scare you...

It sucks that you're scared by them and don't want to be, though. That's got to be awful. :(

druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:23 pm

A lot of times these type ads show up if there is no history for the user, or the response time takes to long and the ad system needs to load an ad and it doesn't know what to put there.. A couple other things, if you want to opt out of behaviorally targeted ads, you can go to to http://aboutads.info for the US or Canada, and http://youronlinechoices.eu/ for EU and use their opt-out tools. It provides a modicum of control, without totally killing revenue for sites, and it gets you out of a lot of different systems at once, rather than trying to find every ad network.

Dposcorp

Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:55 pm

drfish wrote:

.....and we never went out again. Just break my heart why dont ya

coolflame57
Gerbil

Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:26 pm

I.S.T. wrote:
coolflame57 wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:

I'll be honest I wish horror movies scared me like they scare you...

It sucks that you're scared by them and don't want to be, though. That's got to be awful. :(

Most of it is just me being a wuss, but some of it is really me being repulsed and/or genuinely scared. :( indeed.

morphine
TR Staff

Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:22 pm

Dposcorp wrote:

Hey, I like the smell of cheese, just not on feet.

Dposcorp

Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:29 am

morphine wrote:
Dposcorp wrote:

Hey, I like the smell of cheese, just not on feet.

The worst part is, truer words were never spoken :o

deruberhanyok
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:16 pm

So without trying to annoy anyone else by starting a new thread - is posting here still the proper method for alerting TR about these ads, or is there nothing to be done about it and I'll just ignore them?

I only ask because I've just also seen one for "Thai Match" on the EVGA 1080ti news article, and then another for "Brazilian Women Search" while I was typing this very post.

http://imgur.com/a/LlnKb

http://imgur.com/a/WV9cC
<3 TR

morphine
TR Staff

Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:22 pm

The fact that there's now a thread called "dating ads" isn't helping any :)

In any way, again, AdSense ads are easy to spot by the two boxes at the top-right corner. If an ad's bugging you, just click the "X", select your reason for not liking the ad, and chances are you'll not get them shown again.

If it's not AdSense, then bring it up with one of the higher-ups, namely me or Inkling (Adam Eiberger).

deruberhanyok
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:23 pm

Got it, thanks morphine.
<3 TR

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:14 pm

I've been getting a fair number of these foreign dating site ads, which is kind of hilarious given my nationalistic tendencies and "concept of females" speech. Actual searches and page visits not done over Tor or proxy/VPN chain are almost exclusively general tech, history, and engineer stuff. But whatever, there's much worse things on the interwebz than G rated dating ads that don't trigger the drive-by malware alarm.

deruberhanyok
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:21 pm

I wonder if it serves up stuff based on IP address if there's no other UID-related data to be found. I really only see them at work, so now I'm trying to figure out who is visiting mail order bride websites while at the office, or if it really is just a generic default for adsense that doesn't show up at home since that's where all my nerdy tech browsing typically happens.
<3 TR