Re: Ditching the land line

Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:31 pm

I came here about cutting loose the landline but got Rick Rolled instead. :(

Kougar
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:32 am

Haven't personally had a landline for years. But my grandmother's house landline costs $50 a month from AT&T. I feel internet + a cell line provides sufficient redundancy as long as equipment is in place to keep things running during a sustained loss of power.

My modem & computer are on big fat UPS device so I can browse the internet while the power is out. So in the event I lost cell service (I only recall it happening once) I would use VoIP to make calls. If a storm knocked out my cable line then odds are it took the phone lines with it since they share the same poles. But those lucky people with ground-laid fiber will probably have internet service that's even more reliable than a phone line, and have zero reason to pay for a phone line.

If the question is from a long-term power loss perspective then for the cost of a landline one could invest in a big UPS and some electronic battery packs and keep a cell + internet access going for days to a week depending on the devices accessing it. The last time we didn't have power for a >24 hour period the internet never stopped working here and I was still using it with a laptop off the UPS. $25-50 a month adds up fast, for that money I'd rather put it into two big UPS devices instead and save the rest.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:20 pm

I see a lot of "I don't miss the junk calls" but we haven't had a land line in around 10-11 years and the junk calls now come to my cell phone.

Very thankful for the "block number" feature in iOS and Android (7 and later).
"And and if you start to bleed, stop wiping." -whm1974