Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

Forge
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Trailers have gone too far (Alien: Covenant spoilers)

Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:53 pm

So based only on publicly available materials, I think I've sussed out the entire plot to Alien: Covenant, and I felt I should type it all up somewhere, timestamped, so I can come back in a month and change, after it's been released, and be hailed as a genius visionary prophet or something. Obv. spoiler tags abound.

So the Covenant is a Weyland-sponsored colony ship headed out to colonize the planet referred to as Paradise (src: trailer 1, last supper)

The Covenant sends down a smaller landing craft and the humans step on spore pods (src: multiple) which enter someone's ear and infect them (src: teaser 1)

Someone in the medbay is hatching something terrible in a new way (straight out from all sides?) (src: Teaser 1)

There are Deacons strongly resembling the one that hatched from the Engineer in Prometheus running around (see two at once in Trailer 1)

Both Prom's David android and a later Walter model are present (src: Fassbender comments at interviews)

Walter is taking care of the Covenant crew (src: Trailer 1) and David is marooned on Paradise (hypothesis: crashed Engineer horseshoe is from Prometheus)

The Deacons on the Covenant lander get out of control, someone shoots in the wrong place and the lander explodes (src: Trailer 1)

Walter and David meet, David likely destroys Walter, possibly taking his place (theory)

David has been experimenting with the Black Goo for ten years, killing Shaw at some point, possibly on purpose (src: dog tags in TSR 1, TRLR 1)

David feeds Doctor Manhattan to an Engineered/Evolved/selected-for Deacon, which is now the Xenomorph we all know and fear (src: TSR1, TRLR1)

Newly made Xenomorph proves itself the superior breed, rofflestomps Deacons, snatches humans, bites faces and crashes follow-up lander (src: TRLR 1)

Nobody survives? (theory only)
Behemoth - Plex server
Galactica - FreeNAS
Pegasus - R710 ESX host
fsociety - MBP 15
Rocinante - E5530 testing machine
Saratoga, Ticonderoga, BunkerHill - the Hydra desktop PC-thing.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Trailers have gone too far (Alien: Covenant spoilers)

Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:56 pm

So I've not previously been a big believer in the "trailers are going too far, giving away the whole movie" thing, but I'm now starting to agree, at least in the case of A:C. I think I have a pretty complete outline above.
Behemoth - Plex server
Galactica - FreeNAS
Pegasus - R710 ESX host
fsociety - MBP 15

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:02 pm

You cray man. But if i believe that i will want to see something i will intentionally avoid all trailers, teasers, whatever. I basically pick movies by their name, imdb rating, and likelyhood of being too chick flicky which is usually based on cover design. This way movies can be a very pleasant surprise.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

LASR
Gerbil First Class

Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:48 pm

I hope they don't screw it up like they did with Prometheus. Hope is strong enough that I will resist the temptation to read your spoliertext, or watch the trailer even.

Prometheus was such a huge let down. It didn't even make basic sense at times. The biologist guy who is super eager to land and explore that spaceship. Suddenly, once inside, he freaks out and wants to go back home. And then he wanders off by himself. Whyt?

Vhalidictes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:32 pm

Forge wrote:
So I've not previously been a big believer in the "trailers are going too far, giving away the whole movie" thing, but I'm now starting to agree, at least in the case of A:C. I think I have a pretty complete outline above.

I don't know that I agree, Forge. For one example, thanks to your post, I'll probably skip this movie.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:52 pm

Subbing to come back and read the prediction later.

Regarding the movie itself: please dont suck, please dont suck, please dont suck...
Main rig: Ryzen 1600@3.75GHz, R9 290@1050MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

Vhalidictes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:58 pm

MileageMayVary wrote:
Subbing to come back and read the prediction later.

Regarding the movie itself: please dont suck, please dont suck, please dont suck...

Aliens (and Predator) is a license that I hope Disney eventually buys from Fox. For the above reason.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:47 pm

I think if Disney took the Aliens franchise, it would die quietly right after. Disney is suited to a lot of genres; edgy, dark horror is not one of them.

Go watch The Black Hole (1979) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078869/ and see exactly what Disney's idea of edgy and dark is. Then imagine H.R. Giger's favorite movie children in a similar picture.
Behemoth - Plex server
Galactica - FreeNAS
Pegasus - R710 ESX host
fsociety - MBP 15

Vhalidictes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:48 pm

Forge wrote:
I think if Disney took the Aliens franchise, it would die quietly right after. Disney is suited to a lot of genres; edgy, dark horror is not one of them.

Go watch The Black Hole (1979) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078869/ and see exactly what Disney's idea of edgy and dark is. Then imagine H.R. Giger's favorite movie children in a similar picture.

I've seen that movie many a time. More seriously, I'd take a Disney-fied version over, say, Prometheus.

Krogoth
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:52 pm

IMO, Aliens franchise died after Aliens 3. It has been sequelitis non-sense since then. Jim, let it rest in peace.
Ivy Bridge i5-3570K@4.0Ghz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GiB of PC3-12800, Sapphire RX Vega 64, Corsair CX-600 and Fractal Refined R4 (W). Kentsfield Q6600@3Ghz, HD 4850 2x2GiB PC2-6400, Gigabyte EP45-DS4P, OCZ Modstream 700W, and PC-7B.

Sargent Duck
Silver subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:03 pm

Krogoth wrote:
IMO, Aliens franchise died after Aliens 3. It has been sequelitis non-sense since then. Jim, let it rest in peace.

So very true. I came out of Prometheus so disgusted at what I had just saw that I said "that's it, I'm done with this franchise". After suffering through Aliens 4, 2 bad AvP* movies and finally Prometheus, I'm done. I have zero intention of watching this movie.

I will live in my own private little shell that only Alien and Aliens exist.

* I did really enjoy Predators and would really look forward to a sequel to that movie...as long as Adrian Brody and Alice Braga return
Venii, vidii, vicii
Wii came, Wii saw , Wii conquered

Forge
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:23 pm

I heard that they are rebooting Predator, so your wish will likely not be granted.
Behemoth - Plex server
Galactica - FreeNAS
Pegasus - R710 ESX host
fsociety - MBP 15

Forge
Lord High Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:28 pm

I'll go see A:C, but mostly because I've read/watched/etc every piece of Xenomorph material ever printed/released. I did like that A:C is lifting elements from William Gibson's abandoned Alien 3 script (Google it, it's a good read, if a little hard to follow at times), but I don't like that Ridley Scott is freely retconning/removing anything that wasn't from "his" movie if it's not convenient to what he wants to do. Changing the Alien from Nature's Perfect Weapon to just something else output by a rogue element of the military-industrial complex completely changes the tone and message of all of the films, even the original. I don't care for it.

It also retcons Prometheus into an even deeper pit of nonsense. It doesn't need any more help.
Behemoth - Plex server
Galactica - FreeNAS
Pegasus - R710 ESX host
fsociety - MBP 15

Waco
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:27 pm

This definitely feels like a rental / Netflix / Amazon prime stream at some point, but definitely not theater-worthy. I hated that Prometheus was so...stupid. This appears to be similar, but worth watching for the action / xenos.

I hope you're not right about the plot...but I think you're probably right.
Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon | 6700K @ 4.5 | 16 GB | GTX Titan X | Seasonix Gold 850 | XSPC RX360 | Heatkiller R3 | D5 + RP-452X2 | Cosmos II | Samsung 4K 40" | 480 + 240 + LSI 9207-8i (128x8) SSDs

the
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:32 am

Forge wrote:

When Pixar's contract with Disney was set to expire, they were floating the idea of doing a dark and edgy movie to see what they could do outside of the house of mouse as a fully independent studio. This ultimately turned out to just be a negotiating tactic when negotiation began again for Disney to buy Pixar completely. I wish that it wasn't a bluff as I'm curious what they would have been able to do with a R rated film.

Then again, Disney is a large corporate overlord of other studios that do know how to do dark and edgy. Case in point, Pulp Fiction was released under Disney control through Miramax at the time.
Dual Opteron 6376, 96 GB DDR3, Asus KGPE-D16, GTX 970
Mac Pro Dual Xeon E5645, 48 GB DDR3, GTX 770
Core i7 3930K@4.2 Ghz, 32 GB DDR3, GA-X79-UP5-Wifi
Core i7 2600K@4.4 Ghz, 16 GB DDR3, GTX 970, GA-X68XP-UD4

Chrispy_
Gold subscriber
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:43 am

Not to say that Disney is a good choice for the Aliens franchise, but I though Rogue One was pretty dark for a disney movie. I mean, there's a lot of death, loss and sacrifice for a Disney movie and some of the decisions/morals aren't exactly black&white good vs evil either.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

G8torbyte
Gold subscriber
Gerbil

Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:24 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
Not to say that Disney is a good choice for the Aliens franchise, but I though Rogue One was pretty dark for a disney movie. I mean, there's a lot of death, loss and sacrifice for a Disney movie and some of the decisions/morals aren't exactly black&white good vs evil either.

True, I took my kids to the theater to see Rogue One and after it ended we were like "Wow, great action but everyone died !?!"
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs and gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991
Current system setup: X99 Command/Control Station

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:43 am

Krogoth wrote:

I have an appreciation for Resurrection just for the writing gymnastics it took to bring Ellen Ripley into another movie