Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

D@ Br@b($)!
Gerbil
Topic Author

How to subscribe without a credit card?

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:13 pm

I never wanted to subscribe because I'm not eligible to take part in the "TR's 12 days of giveaways".
But now that I have configured Firefox so that it doesn't show any ads. And knowing my favourite tech site cant survive without cash flow. I want to chip in and go for gold. Only to find out I need a credit card to pay for my subscription.
Or don't I?

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: How to subscribe without a credit card?

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:43 pm

Buy a prepaid Visa gift card at the amount you want to donate, then use the whole amount and shred the card?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:45 pm

OP is correct. No way to subscribe without a "credit card".

OP: If you have a debit card, and it's VISA/MC branded, you'll be fine.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:50 pm

Don't know in TR's case, but you can often substitute PayPal for a credit card for online subscriptions.

Neutronbeam
Gerbil XP

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:59 pm

Or you could send me a certified check to my post office box address in Nigeria and I could pay for you with my card ;-). I'm just glad to help out a fellow gerbil.
"the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." -- Senator Ted Kennedy, 1980 Democratic National Convention speech

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:23 pm

Neutronbeam wrote:
Or you could send me a certified check to my post office box address in Nigeria and I could pay for you with my card ;-). I'm just glad to help out a fellow gerbil.

SCAM ALERT!!!
OP: Just go to Walmart and a prepaid Visa card. I have one that I use for buying games off of Steam and for my Hulu subscriptions and for my Kindle.

DrDominodog51
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:34 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Neutronbeam wrote:

SCAM ALERT!!! PERFECTLY LEGIT DEAL ALERT!!!1!!

FTFY

As a Nigerian Prince, I can vouch for Neutronbeam's reliability. He paid for the transfer fees for his inheritance. 8)
A10-7850K; GA-F2A88XN-WIFI, 16 GB of 2400MHz DDR3, 500 GB Team Group L5 SSD

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:44 pm

DrDominodog51 wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Neutronbeam wrote:

FTFY

As a Nigerian Prince, I can vouch for Neutronbeam's reliability. He paid for the transfer fees for his inheritance. 8)

Right, a Nigerian Prince vouching for another Nigerian. What is next, An a MP of India calling me vouching for that dude from India who tried to scam me last year?

D@ Br@b($)!
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:44 pm

Neutronbeam wrote:

LOL

D@ Br@b($)!
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:59 pm

whm1974 wrote:
DrDominodog51 wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

FTFY

Right, a Nigerian Prince vouching for another Nigerian. What is next, An a MP of India calling me vouching for that dude from India who tried to scam me last year?

Myself living in a kingdom: The Netherlands. I know about the trustworthiness of :evil: Prince's :evil: .
:wink:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:01 pm

The sad part of Nigerian scams is that they work. I've spent time working the complaint phone at the day job and the stupidity (or greed) of my fellow citizens astounds me.

True story. I walked into a branch of my credit union and overheard an intoxicated man hectoring the service rep because she was questioning his need to wire money to a bad place so that he could get more money. It was on a Friday (and I don't work on Fridays) and I was a bit scruffy, so I pulled out my work ID and told the customer that he was being scammed.

Dude got the point (finally), and I made sure to contact the CU management so that the poor girl on the desk got some props for trying to tell him he was being scammed.

D@ Br@b($)!
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:42 pm

Thanks all.

I think I'll go for the prepaid card.
Also while googling for the prepaid, I saw that VISA has a 1st year free offer with a free 50Euro credit. But I have to look into the terms for that.

morphine
TR Staff

Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:51 pm

To the OP: banks in several european countries offer virtual VISA cards. Tie one to your regular bank account, generate a valid virtual VISA card that pulls the funds directly from account as if it were a debit card, then use it online. Could see if your bank offers that.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

morphine
TR Staff

Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:52 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
True story. I walked into a branch of my credit union and overheard an intoxicated man hectoring the service rep because she was questioning his need to wire money to a bad place so that he could get more money. It was on a Friday (and I don't work on Fridays) and I was a bit scruffy, so I pulled out my work ID and told the customer that he was being scammed.

Dude got the point (finally), and I made sure to contact the CU management so that the poor girl on the desk got some props for trying to tell him he was being scammed.

Ned, that's effin' awesome. I'm totally making a mental note of this story to retell it later. I'd love to have seen the look on everyone's faces when you whipped out the badge.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:22 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
The sad part of Nigerian scams is that they work. I've spent time working the complaint phone at the day job and the stupidity (or greed) of my fellow citizens astounds me.

Were you wearing a tye dye?
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,
EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:54 pm

If Ned pulled out the badge while wearing the BBQ shirt that just makes the story even better.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:34 pm

Captain Ned wrote:

I ran into two scams last year. Both scammers called by phone and one of was the guy from India telling me that I received a government grant for being a good citizen, and the other was a educational grant to go back to school, which I didn't for apply for any. I'm still waiting for the "you have a virus on your Windows computer scam".

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:53 pm

Redocbew wrote:
If Ned pulled out the badge while wearing the BBQ shirt that just makes the story even better.

Sadly, I was in my usual weekend garb of drab tshirt over Dockers cargo pants. For some unremembered reason it had been a patch since a shave, so me in hat, dark khaki barn coat, and light khaki pants was in no way looking like a regulator when I sprung into action. Scammed dude AND CU service rep had to look at me a few times before it sank in that I was legit. Made sure to call the CU CFO as I left just to make sure that everything was square (and to give her props).

D@ Br@b($)!
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:55 am

So after some "research" I chose mycard2go from Visa.
For interestees ?english? :oops: , here's a link to a review: https://metabubble.net/payment-cards-bank-accounts/mycard2go-visa-and-vpay-prepaid-review-quite-good-if-you-dont-need-it-asap/

Now waiting for the transfer to my "Card"(its virtual).......

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:27 pm

Captain Ned wrote:

Another true story: I was at a Microsoft sponsored developer conference shortly before Windows 8 launched, and to sell the crowd on the new MS app store the keynote speaker actually semi-seriously compared it to the Nigerian scam to explain how even a very low percentage of users buying the app could make you rich given the huge install base of Windows. Don't remember who it was, not Ballmer or Sinofsky but still fairly high up the org chart.

It was at that moment I realized that Windows 8 was totally screwed.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:13 pm

NovusBogus wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

Another true story: I was at a Microsoft sponsored developer conference shortly before Windows 8 launched, and to sell the crowd on the new MS app store the keynote speaker actually semi-seriously compared it to the Nigerian scam to explain how even a very low percentage of users buying the app could make you rich given the huge install base of Windows. Don't remember who it was, not Ballmer or Sinofsky but still fairly high up the org chart.

It was at that moment I realized that Windows 8 was totally screwed.

Just how many Windows 8 users actually brought Metro apps from the MS apps store? I never did, I just continued to use the same few Win32 applications(modern versions of course) I using when I still on WinXP. I also had to install ClassicShell to make the damn thing usable for me at all. 15 to 16 months later I ended up removing Win8 to reuse the SSD it was on for Linux Games.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:53 pm

I grabbed a few of the vendor-sponsored apps, such as eBay and Facebook, mostly to see how they worked in comparison to the website versions and their Android/iOS counterparts. Didn't pay, though, never had a good reason.

The utility of the app versus the website is probably at least partly dependent on whether the user has a touch-interface, or a keyboard and mouse, as their primary means of device interaction.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

D@ Br@b($)!
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:23 am

:D :D :D Yes Sir :D :D :D

morphine
TR Staff

Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:33 am

Congrats! :)

(and thank you)