Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

STAR WARS TIME! - Spoiler Lock Lifted

Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:06 pm

New teaser for the Last Jedi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4I68XVPzQ
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: STAR WARS TIME!

Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:10 pm

Ireland: Reloaded
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:54 pm

I hope the story is better than the last one. Regardless, I'll be there to see it.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:10 pm

So is this just Luke Rey on Dagobah Green Mountain? Will she sense her friends and trouble and leave before her training is complete? Is this going to be ENTIRELY based on Empire?

There was a hand. Did you bring the hand?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Redocbew

Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:40 pm

Spoiler alert: After this movie, we're not done with Star Wars.

I'll still go see it through.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:50 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
So is this just Luke Rey on Dagobah Green Mountain? Will she sense her friends and trouble and leave before her training is complete? Is this going to be ENTIRELY based on Empire?

Ugh, I hope not. I'll be the fool who gave my money if it really does turn out to be that. Maybe I can read what the critics say, and figure it out, before wasting money.

strangerguy
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:30 am

derFunkenstein wrote:

There was a hand. Did you bring the hand?

Let's throw in a racial/gender diversity message into the mix too, because this lowest common denominator PC-laden SJW pandering surely isn't overdone to death by this point.
8700K 4.3GHz @ 1.05V | Cryorig H7 | MSI Z370M AC | 32GB Corsair LPX DDR4-3200 | GTX 1070 @ 0.8V | 500GB Evo 850 | 1TB M550 | 3TB Toshiba | Seasonic G650 | Acer XB271HU

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:44 am

I sense that this going to be Star Wars: Deconstruction The Movie.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

kvndoom

Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:03 am

My hype dial is on 11.

Somehow Rogue One has become my favorite of all the Star Wars films though. Just bought the Bluray, need to watch it again soon.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:44 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Ugh, I hope not. I'll be the fool who gave my money if it really does turn out to be that. Maybe I can read what the critics say, and figure it out, before wasting money.

I feel similarly, I'm hoping it does not follow the same Empire Strikes Back theme. I've loved Star Wars ever since I viewed "A New Hope" at a drive-in theater in the 1970's, however I have some mixed feelings about the new episodes. I'd appreciate a different story/plot-twist than a rehash of the 1st trilogy. I did enjoy some of "Force Awakens" and the new characters with nostalgia for the original but blowing up the Starkiller is the same thing as the first Death Star plot. That disappointed me a bit for lack of originality.

Anyway, I'm glad Disney re-charged the Star Wars universe especially after a couple of uninspiring films in the 2nd trilogy. My kids are eating it up and I enjoy seeing their enthusiasm like I had at their age. Rogue One was a welcome break and gave a darker perspective similar to a realistic war movie of loss and sacrifice.

Also hoping EA's "Battlefront II" sequel has a good single-player storyline. The trailer shows it as following an Imperial Special Forces Commando after the Endor Battle so that could be interesting.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:12 am

Ugh. I was 13 when ANH came out and, like most other males of my era, have been Star Wars fanatics. I saw this trailer and had high hopes. After the posts here about Empire, the 13-YO glee in me is gone. Thanks.

For the $4 BILLION (ISTR) Disney paid for the franchise, one would think that it came along with at least the draft treatments for 7/8/9 that Lucas promised us geeks back in the 1970s.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:16 am

kvndoom wrote:
Somehow Rogue One has become my favorite of all the Star Wars films though.

Thank Alistair MacLean and The Guns of Navarone. The plots track each other pretty damn closely.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:44 am

Captain Ned wrote:
I saw this trailer and had high hopes. After the posts here about Empire, the 13-YO glee in me is gone. Thanks.

Sorry. I just can't not see the parallels between ESB and Ep8, at least in this trailer. It's way too similar and I'm surprised nobody else pointed it out first.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

odizzido
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:47 am

It's going to be full of stupid just like all of the other starwars movies. A shame, because there is potential with the series.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:52 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Sorry. I just can't not see the parallels between ESB and Ep8, at least in this trailer. It's way too similar and I'm surprised nobody else pointed it out first.

It takes someone to be the first and, upon reflection, you've nailed it.

Disney, I'm calling you out!! If your dream for Star Wars cash is remaking/tweaking/rebooting the Original Trilogy, fans of the same will never spend another dollar on Disney. The sad part is that your accountants and actuaries have already figured out that that's a popped zit in your expected cash flow from these films.

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:01 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Disney, I'm calling you out!! If your dream for Star Wars cash is remaking/tweaking/rebooting the Original Trilogy, fans of the same will never spend another dollar on Disney. The sad part is that your accountants and actuaries have already figured out that that's a popped zit in your expected cash flow from these films.

It's possible they are going to follow the original trilogy a bit to ground new fans in what we loved growing up, since a pure remake of those 3 is impossible given how iconic the characters are, but also add new stuff like Rogue One to fill out the universe. Moving on from this first core trilogy, well the sky's the limit.

Keep in mind this is going to be like Marvel, this is going to go on for a long, long time with at least 1 maybe 2 movies a year at some point, so these 3 films will be a drop in the bucket looking back 5-7 years from now. My advice is to just enjoy the fact that we aren't being trolled by Lucas anymore and hope we never see a gungan or hear the word midichlorians ever again.

superjawes

Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:13 am

So as a general arc, we know that The Last Jediwill have one big similarity to Empire: it will be darker/more depressing than its predecessor. I mean obviously. You had your big, happy (mostly) start, but we know that there's a third chapter coming, so this one will obviously tear the good guys down so they can rise to the challenge in the third. Storytelling 101.

That being said, we literally CANNOT rehash Empire. We know that Rey is training with Luke, so there's no big reveal of a tiny-yet-powerful Jedi master in the swamp. The bit of meat we got from the traile--Luke saying that it's time for the Jedi to end--forces the story in a new, more complicated direction (assuming it's not a misdirect). Luke will return to his friends to pay off that plot point. And character-wise, the closest 1:1 replacement we have is Rey:Luke. Kylo Ren is very different from Vader, Poe is just Poe, Finn has a mysterious back story, and BB-8 is just awesome (and with Han Solo being a dead non-Jedi, he won't be Force ghosting wisdom).

As I've said before, The Force Awakens was partially limited because it HAD to appease old fans. Episodes 1-3 were such a mess that Disney needed to restore the faith. Since TFA was successful, they can push forward with new ideas like Rogue One. I think that this film will diverge from the original trilogy's story structure in big ways.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:51 am

superjawes wrote:
I think that this film will diverge from the original trilogy's story structure in big ways.

Whereas I believe the Disney neither cares nor knows about the story beyond the butts ($$$) it can put in theatre seats. I'm willing to be contradicted, but I am not optimistic.

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:55 am

superjawes wrote:
As I've said before, The Force Awakens was partially limited because it HAD to appease old fans. Episodes 1-3 were such a mess that Disney needed to restore the faith. Since TFA was successful, they can push forward with new ideas like Rogue One. I think that this film will diverge from the original trilogy's story structure in big ways.

True, JJ Abrams helped bridge that generational gap and it is a tricky one to navigate with a very critical fan base. I'm hoping for a divergence too and the trailer does alude a little bit to it referring to the force balance between light and dark and Luke's despondence for the Jedi. Someone, Luke, Rey or Kylo perhaps goes in an unanticipated direction?

For other side-story films I'd like to see one about Boba Fett's Mandalorian warrior culture or a bounty hunter episode along the lines of "Predator." OK, 'nuff geeking out for me--back to work :(
Last edited by G8torbyte on Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:38 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
I hope the story is better than the last one. Regardless, I'll be there to see it.

I haven't seen it yet. Is it skippable in your opinion? Rogue One, on the other hand, was awesome.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:41 pm

superjawes wrote:
So as a general arc, we know that The Last Jediwill have one big similarity to Empire: it will be darker/more depressing than its predecessor. I mean obviously. You had your big, happy (mostly) start, but we know that there's a third chapter coming, so this one will obviously tear the good guys down so they can rise to the challenge in the third. Storytelling 101.

That being said, we literally CANNOT rehash Empire. We know that Rey is training with Luke, so there's no big reveal of a tiny-yet-powerful Jedi master in the swamp. The bit of meat we got from the traile--Luke saying that it's time for the Jedi to end--forces the story in a new, more complicated direction (assuming it's not a misdirect). Luke will return to his friends to pay off that plot point. And character-wise, the closest 1:1 replacement we have is Rey:Luke. Kylo Ren is very different from Vader, Poe is just Poe, Finn has a mysterious back story, and BB-8 is just awesome.

Uhhh....

Luke -> Rey
Yoda -> Luke

"Stopping the plot to train with the only Jedi Master while my friends fight a pitched battle without my help" is exactly the plot of The Empire Strikes Back!!

It's a remake... albeit maybe a good one that has a slightly different feel / sequence of events.

superjawes

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:13 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
Uhhh....

Luke -> Rey
Yoda -> Luke

"Stopping the plot to train with the only Jedi Master while my friends fight a pitched battle without my help" is exactly the plot of The Empire Strikes Back!!

It's a remake... albeit maybe a good one that has a slightly different feel / sequence of events.

Luke (Original) -> Had a family that was annihilated, chose his path because he needed meaning
Rey -> Abandoned, trust into a battle she did not choose only to discover that she had unknown powers

Yoda -> Unseen until Act II, old-school Jedi master teaching the way of the Jedi
Luke (Now) -> Already revealed as Rey's teacher, added emotional baggage, and possible anti-Jedi?

There will probably be similarities seeing as Star Wars has always followed the Hero's Journey AND this is literally another Star Wars trilogy, but this isn't going to be 1:1, and there are plenty of places to break off and do their own thing.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:44 pm

Well I think episode 7 was just like Aladdin, because the bad guy does stuff and the hero saves the day, so...

chuckula
Topic Author

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:46 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Well I think episode 7 was just like Aladdin, because the bad guy does stuff and the hero saves the day, so...

OMG WHY COULDN'T YOU HAVE USED THE SPOILER TAG!
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:49 pm

I've never actually seen Aladdin.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:20 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

I liked Aladdin well enough but it wasn't something to drop everything and see. Robin Williams' performance was the best part of that movie.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:14 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
Robin Williams' performance was the best part of that movie.

Would the Star Wars community accept Jar-Jar Binks if he/she/it was voiced with a completely unleashed Robin Williams?

trackerben

Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:26 pm

kvndoom wrote:
...Somehow Rogue One has become my favorite of all the Star Wars films though. Just bought the Bluray, need to watch it again soon.

Rogue One is up there with Episode V, surely.

trackerben

Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:38 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:

Would the Star Wars community accept Jar-Jar Binks if he/she/it was voiced with a completely unleashed Robin Williams?

Jar-Jar was hardly funny, he's like Finn - a device to move the plots and explain other characters.

What Force Awakens does have is the potential to mirror the original series' redemption saga.There's nothing stopping Rey from betraying Luke, whose lack of direction seems to have been the reason for the civil war in his Jedi Academy. Rey came out of nowhere in the desert, her name implies a galactic dynasty, her adventurous companion the undead Finn can be hostaged to Snoke's plans. She owes her loyalties to no one but herself and her followers.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:18 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:

If the rumors are true that Lucas originally intended Jar Jar to be a villain in the later prequels it's possible the character would be hated a lot less. But either that's bunk or there were extensive rewrites (why not both?), so we'll likely never know.

Edit: Robin Williams could only have helped. There were multiple dimensions to Jar Jar's badness, VA being one of them.

Edit 2: What's really terrible about the prequels isn't their badness. What I find terribly sad is that there were flashes of goodness in the 2nd and 3rd movies. Lucas clearly *could have* turned the ship around. He also could have simply skipped the first movie (there was no story need for it) and started with Anakin's training with Obi Wan instead... but all we got was a single scene (not even a flashback, just talking!) at the start of Attack of the Clones.