Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: STAR WARS TIME!

Fri May 05, 2017 11:47 am

just brew it! wrote:
Amazing.

It doesn't hurt that the lead singer can sound eerily like Weird Al when he wants to.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Fri May 05, 2017 1:34 pm

notfred wrote:
Trudeau wears Star Wars socks to meet the Taoiseach
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05 ... eet-irish/

<3
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat May 06, 2017 8:32 am

just brew it! wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYD3QtyEGGM

Nice :lol:

trackerben

Sat May 06, 2017 11:17 am

notfred wrote:
Trudeau wears Star Wars socks to meet the Taoiseach
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05 ... eet-irish/

Unless the host signals that it's ok, showing up in such outfits normally marks the wearer as a not-serious dude. Wearers of unconventional ties are usually allowed more leeway, he could have done that instead.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed May 10, 2017 9:51 pm

http://www.paletteswapninja.com/

The Sgt. Pepper/ANH crew worked on this for FIVE YEARS.

Redocbew

Wed May 10, 2017 9:56 pm

Holy crap. The videos are awesome, but yeah. That's dedication. Disney should give them some kind of award.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu May 11, 2017 5:01 am

Redocbew wrote:
Disney should give them some kind of award.

They'll be lucky if Disney & McCartney (I think he owns the Beatles copyrights at this point) don't spend the next ten years dragging them through court on copyright charges.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu May 25, 2017 10:02 am

The official Star Wars Twitter account posted the original theatrical trailer for the first movie to mark the 40th anniversary. As someone who just about wore out his VHS copy, this gave me some serious nostalgic nerd chills.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

trackerben

Sat May 27, 2017 12:44 am

More thoughts. If Rey's parents were prominent in the original Empire, it would explain why few knew of her existence. She would have been in danger from rivals in the Imperial remnants, until one or both of her parents managed to get her away before losing themselves as well.

There is already a similar saga in Rogue One. The daughter of an Imperial Officer is left to fend for herself in the wilderness, later rising to fulfill her Father's wishes. So it's possible that Rey would later turn against Luke once she realizes this. Especially if Snoke, who knows so much about the last days of the Empire (possibly from her father), sets the record straight before her.

The civil war among Luke's acolytes could be due to some like Kylo Ren wanting him to become the Jedi overlord of the new republic. This would have prompted Luke to exile himself, and would explain why the New Republic was not officially keen in getting him back.

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:52 am

Well the official Last Jedi trailer has been out a few days. http://nerdist.com/star-wars-the-last-j ... dark-side/

and it is generating some funny memes too: http://nerdist.com/star-wars-the-last-j ... reactions/

Unsurprisingly a darker theme in this sequel and it is "not going to go the way you think" seems to be the overall story arc. Luke is a much more cranky character than his younger optimistic days and Rey is not going to find what she's looking for until a later sequel. Kylo is having doubts and hints at a transition? Anyway the cinematography looks nice but I could do without the commercial pokemon creatures which is just in time for the Christmas sales. Hoping there's more to it than just the eye candy.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:12 pm

G8torbyte wrote:
Hoping there's more to it than just the eye candy.

I'll see it but will try to set expectations low.

Kougar

Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:21 pm

G8torbyte wrote:
Unsurprisingly a darker theme in this sequel and it is "not going to go the way you think" seems to be the overall story arc. Luke is a much more cranky character than his younger optimistic days and Rey is not going to find what she's looking for until a later sequel. Kylo is having doubts and hints at a transition? Anyway the cinematography looks nice but I could do without the commercial pokemon creatures which is just in time for the Christmas sales. Hoping there's more to it than just the eye candy.

Some actual depth to the characters will never be amiss. Think they might have given away a little too much in the trailer though, I think I see where it is going. Will definitely still be catching it in theaters, even if both plot twists play out exactly as I have foreseen. :lol:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:41 pm

G8torbyte wrote:
Anyway the cinematography looks nice but I could do without the commercial pokemon creatures which is just in time for the Christmas sales.

I'll take a Porg every day over Jar-Jar and the homicidal teddy bears.

As for arc, this is ESB Revisited. Let's hope that the script isn't as much of a fan-wash as TFA (though that was exactly what was needed at the time).

Story-telling 101: There has to be a bad patch for the protagonist in which he/she questions everything. It's not like this is a secret only doled out to scriptwriters.

Kougar

Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:46 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Story-telling 101: There has to be a bad patch for the protagonist in which he/she questions everything. It's not like this is a secret only doled out to scriptwriters.

The questioning everything was blatantly demonstrated in the trailer, isn't what I'm getting at. Though it really makes me think Kylo Ren won't directly kill his motherThere are two arcs I see hinted at, and there is an interesting way to twist them together to set up for the last film that fits into the yin-yang style balance. If having a Jedi always creates the opposite evil counterpart, then the obvious solution to break the cycle is to have neither to bring the system into balance. There's a few ways to go about that.

I'm probably wrong as I don't think star wars would bother with that intricate a plot, but it's nice to wonder. As you say, it'll probably be a more basic step-by-step of the ESB plot. Fully agree, porgs are certainly better than another jar-jar.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:21 am

If they just rehash the ESB with better special effects, WHAT IS THE POINT?
(Other than a billion dollars in the box office)

That would be deeply disappointing. Rogue One was very original for Star Wars, even if it borrowed from other previous movies in other genres. Why can't these writers do something original or tell the old stories in an original way?

Neutronbeam
Gerbil XP

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:32 am

G8torbyte wrote:
Well the official Last Jedi trailer has been out a few days. http://nerdist.com/star-wars-the-last-j ... dark-side/

and it is generating some funny memes too: http://nerdist.com/star-wars-the-last-j ... reactions/

Chewbacca only has the creature on board the Falcon so he can eat it--Porg--It's the other white meat.
"the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." -- Senator Ted Kennedy, 1980 Democratic National Convention speech

kvndoom

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:43 am

Neutronbeam wrote:
G8torbyte wrote:

Chewbacca only has the creature on board the Falcon so he can eat it--Porg--It's the other white meat.

I needed this today. My friend you have no idea how much I needed this today. :lol:
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:47 am

G8torbyte wrote:
Anyway the cinematography looks nice but I could do without the commercial pokemon creatures which is just in time for the Christmas sales. Hoping there's more to it than just the eye candy.

I horse-laughed:

It's Disney, so of course they're going to roll out a dump truck full of merchandising tie-ins. Besides, would you rather have one of those things staring at you from junior's bedroom bookshelf...or this?

Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:56 am

Neutronbeam wrote:

Looks like a penguin and a guinea pig cross-bred and made a porg. It does look like it would be a nice Chewy snack for those long Kessel trips in the Falcon.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:41 pm

Spoilers are leaking out in force [terrible pun] for TLJ and it looks and sounds like it is a literal deconstruction of the original trilogy.

TL DR version: Let's burn and deconstruction the entire Jedi and Sith mythos and hamfist the new protagonist into becoming the "chosen one" for new order. The new big bad ends becoming a redshirt. Luke dies from overtaxing himself and Leia gets blown into space.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:05 pm

We have plans to go see Friday 10am showing. I'm very excited!

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:57 pm

Ugh. So if I understand this, Krogoth, they do the right thing the wrong way for the wrong reasons. Joy?

Kougar

Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:37 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
We have plans to go see Friday 10am showing. I'm very excited!

Nice. I'll get to see it Saturday. By sheer serendipity on Tues I was browsing the local theater's site as they updated the weekend showtimes. They are going to open at 5am and posted a dozen new screenings, not a single seat had been sold so I definitely got in on that. :D

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:06 am

Rotten Tomatoes 95% - I am not sure I see eye to eye with the critics these days. Disney can buy them too, right?

They only gave Rogue One an 85% which was one of the best SW movie of all. They gave Force Awakens a 93...yeah, they don't know what the hell they are talking about.

kvndoom

Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:43 am

Got seats reserved for 9AM Sunday morning! HYPE!
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:45 pm

I'm taking my kids to see Last Jedi this Sunday as well. My daughter's birthday coincides with the December releases so we go to the theater each year for her. It's rare that we go out to the movies these days. Disney is milking the Star Wars cash cow for all its worth but anyway I enjoy seeing my kid's enthusiasm for the next episode same as I had 30-40 years ago. And I still get a bit excited to see it on the big screen.
Later, -G8tor

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:05 pm

I'm kind of glad for the milking. So far the side story movies are shaping up to be better than the Skywalker Family Drama in any case.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:34 pm

It looks like Disney is going to regret their choices for writers and director for TLJ. They managed to make TLJ more polarizing then TPM and ROTJ. It is nu-ghostbusters all over again. Jar-Jar and Ewoks have nothing on the stupid shenanigans and plot twists in this movie (Rey becomes a literal mary sue, Leia survives from being blasted into space, Yoda ghost trolls Luke, Luke pull an Obi-Wan minus the impact, Finn becomes a background character and Ben betrays Snoke because he wants to tango with Rey).

If Disney isn't carefully along with the recent controversy with Battlefront 2 they are going to end-up killing the golden goose.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Kougar

Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:47 am

Vhalidictes wrote:
I'm kind of glad for the milking. So far the side story movies are shaping up to be better than the Skywalker Family Drama in any case.

You say that, but I really don't have high hopes of the Han Solo movie next year being close to Rogue One. Though I don't think it will be bad given Lawrence Kasdan is involved in the source material, at least.

strangerguy
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:50 am

Watched EP8 last night without any prior expectations, came out feeling about just how messy and unsatisfying the overall storyline is.
8700K 4.3GHz @ 1.05V | Cryorig H7 | MSI Z370M AC | 32GB Corsair LPX DDR4-3200 | GTX 1070 @ 0.8V | 500GB Evo 850 | 1TB M550 | 3TB Toshiba | Seasonic G650 | Acer XB271HU