Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Wilko
Gerbil In Training

Re: STAR WARS TIME! - Spoiler Lock Lifted

Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:57 pm

Hey if they could bring back Darth Maul with robot legs, couldn't they bring back Snoke with robot legs? Whether or not they should is another matter entirely!

Thanks for that link to Mauler's videos. There were quite a few things explained there I didn't notice (but my brain did).

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:03 pm

Welp, finally saw TLJ. Wasn't as bad as I expected. I can understand where they were going with Luke's character (even if the movie wasn't completely convincing about it), but everything else was a solid "meh". Not horrible, not good.

I would normally put in a comment here about how getting rid of the Expanded Universe was a huge mistake, but other than the absence of Mara Jade it looks like they're going to add all of it back in anyways.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:03 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
I would normally put in a comment here about how getting rid of the Expanded Universe was a huge mistake, but other than the absence of Mara Jade it looks like they're going to add all of it back in anyways.

Thrawn is the greatest loss in my opinion. I’ll admit I haven’t watched Rebels to see if they do him justice, but not being a major haracter is a miss to me.

toki
Gerbil XP

Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:24 pm

man, I still haven't finished the last jedi, but um. I might be about done with star wars. It's not even a star wars movie and the jokes are terrible! It's like watching a 90s Lucasarts videogame on the big screen. That's not a compliment. Those videogames were awesome back in the day. As a videogame. That should not be the film, at all.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:48 am

Vhalidictes wrote:
other than the absence of Mara Jade it looks like they're going to add all of it back in anyways.

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/04/2 ... e-casting/
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri May 04, 2018 7:14 am

Chart of the day: How Last Jedi polarised critics and Star Wars fans
Star Wars fans are a dedicated and protective bunch.

Star Wars: every scene from I-VI charted
Star Wars has been called a "space opera" or a "space western" — but what's the true shape of this cult story that happened "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away"?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri May 04, 2018 9:16 am

Star Wars fans who also happen to enjoy Arrested Development will probably enjoy this Ron Howard cross-over: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6XERmXsP-U

May the Cinco de Quatro be with you.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:03 pm

https://cosmicbook.news/star-wars-marve ... rop-disney

Maybe the fact that TLJ’s suckiness is hitting Disney’s wallet they might do something about it. (solo wasn’t horrible, but it defiantly suffered as a result of following ep8.

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:42 am

Wilko wrote:
Hey if they could bring back Darth Maul with robot legs, couldn't they bring back Snoke with robot legs? Whether or not they should is another matter entirely!

Thanks for that link to Mauler's videos. There were quite a few things explained there I didn't notice (but my brain did).

Well looks like in the recent Rise of Skywalker trailer that Palpatine is walking with some kind of cyborg enhancements. Anyway hoping this one of the series brings it all to a reasonable conclusion as "the saga ends." With JJ Abrams back in direction maybe it will since I think he did alright with a lot of homage to classic Star Wars in Force Awakens although that story was a rehash of A New Hope. A couple biq questions from this last trailer is why is C3PO shutting down (memory erased?) and why are Rey and Kylo teaming up to demolish what looks like Vader's old mask while Rey is holding some kind of relic-dagger? Other neat Easter Eggs are listed here: https://www.polygon.com/star-wars/2019/ ... -explained
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:17 am

G8torbyte wrote:
Palpatine is walking with some kind of cyborg enhancements...

G8torbyte wrote:
Anyway hoping this one of the series brings it all to a reasonable conclusion...

These two points are in conflict.

I'll wait for Netflix on this one.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:31 am

She's dying Jim.......

Time to put the IP to the pasture. Disney did irrevocable damage to it from a combination of incompetence and laziness. They'll never completely recoup the cost of acquisition.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:40 am

Krogoth wrote:
They'll never completely recoup the cost of acquisition.

I'm not to sure about that. Personally I am giddy about the Mandalorian. And the fact that they are resurrecting Clone Wars to give it a proper ending excites the hell out of me. If they ever make a live action Ahsoka show or hell even an animation one I'm all in.

Clone Wars and Rebels have been some of the best writing from Disney utilizing the IP ever. They just need to throw all their money at Dave Filoni and they'll recoup billions. In fact as with The Mandalorian they are doing just that with Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, and Kathleen Kennedy as the lead writers.

Also I have to say that the best live action SW to date has been Rogue One. It was wonderfully done. And I think it eclipsed ESB.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:55 am

tanker27 wrote:
Krogoth wrote:

I'm not to sure about that. Personally I am giddy about the Mandalorian. And the fact that they are resurrecting Clone Wars to give it a proper ending excites the hell out of me. If they ever make a live action Ahsoka show or hell even an animation one I'm all in.

Clone Wars and Rebels have been some of the best writing from Disney utilizing the IP ever. They just need to throw all their money at Dave Filoni and they'll recoup billions. In fact as with The Mandalorian they are doing just that with Jon Favreau, Dave Filoni, and Kathleen Kennedy as the lead writers.

Also I have to say that the best live action SW to date has been Rogue One. It was wonderfully done. And I think it eclipsed ESB.

It is pretty much the old guard that is keeping the IP in ICU. The newer generations aren't nearly as excited by the new saga that are overshadowed by other stuff out there. It'll ultimately be forgotten like B-flicks (minus budget limitations) that plagued 1980s and early 1990s. SW made the bulk of its legendary revenue via merchandising (Which Disney is a master via their legacy stuff).
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:22 am

Oh an I forgot......Obi-Wan! Yes that one. It was announced at D23 that McGregor will be reprising this role and having his own show. While no exact details have been released as a fan I always felt that Kenobi's > (whiney) Skywalker's.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:08 pm

Yeah, I've always thought a Mandalorian side project would be a good way to go since the Boba Fett lore is a fan favorite. I once had an original Boba action figure from the 1970's but traded my cousin for some other toy. Oh well, no way I could have known 40 years ago that was not a good decision. The Obi-Wan series sounds interesting too. He's no Alec Guiness but Ewan has done well in the role. I did chuckle when he was disappointed in himself after he could not take out General Grievous "Jedi-style" and had to resort to a blaster. "So uncivilized" :)
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:15 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Krogoth wrote:

I thought Clone Wars was pre-Disney?

I agree that Rogue One was well done, but it really didn't feel like Star Wars until the last act. The rest of the movie could have been any generic sci-fi film. I liked it, don't get me wrong. But better than ESB? Nah. :D

I think Solo: A Star Wars Story was way underrated. Not perfect, but it recaptured more of that Star Wars flavor than any movie since ROTJ in my opinion. Woody Harrelson was just perfect.

I actually pre-ordered Disney+ for The Mandalorian. Here's hoping it lives up to our expectations.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:16 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Oh an I forgot......Obi-Wan! Yes that one. It was announced at D23 that McGregor will be reprising this role and having his own show. While no exact details have been released as a fan I always felt that Kenobi's > (whiney) Skywalker's.

Yes, Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan was a bright spot in the prequels. Looking forward to seeing him again.

TLJ really screwed Luke's character over IMO. Even Mark Hammill seems to agree.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:28 am

The OG Clone Wars movie and series in 2003-2005 was all Lucasearts and aired on Cartoon Network. Even George had a hand in it. The 2006-2013 series was a joint project that led to the rise to Dave Filoni.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:28 am

Vrock wrote:
tanker27 wrote:

Yes, Ewan McGregor's Obi-Wan was a bright spot in the prequels. Looking forward to seeing him again.

TLJ really screwed Luke's character over IMO. Even Mark Hammill seems to agree.

Yes, in an early interview Mark was pissed with the direction and stated "that is not my Luke Skywalker." He has sinced backed-off that probably because Darth Mickey and the Disney First Order have forced-choked him to play nice.
Later, -G8tor

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:16 pm

G8torbyte wrote:
Yes, in an early interview Mark was pissed with the direction and stated "that is not my Luke Skywalker." He has sinced backed-off that probably because Darth Mickey and the Disney First Order have forced-choked him to play nice.

Mark was pretty clear about this in interviews. He was paid-off, and washed his hands of the Disney version of the character. He didn't put it in those terms, but it's obvious that's what he meant.

I've been hearing weird things about the new trailer (that I haven't yet seen). If the things I've heard are true, then it's likely that Disney is full-on re-creating the bad parts of Legends.

The good news there is that I'm no longer sure I care. And they had such a good start with Rogue One and TFA too. I'd hoped that Disney was so interested in making money that they'd tell good stories, but it wasn't to be.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:28 pm

Star Wars was damaged goods before the acquisition. It's been 35 years since anything Star Wars was consistently good. Disney has done MORE good than Lucas has in that time period, but honestly I'm surprised anybody was still paying for anything new in the first place.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:46 am

Ep3 was the best if the prequel by a long shot.