Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: STAR WARS TIME!

Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:13 pm

The Phantom Menace has some really bad and/or polarizing elements, but it is a better movie than Attack of the Clones. All three of those movies have random acts of brilliance, but they didn't come together into a cohesive product, and few things would save them from the poor directing and dialogue.

As for "Evil Jar-Jar", I am 90% certain that you are thinking of a fan theory.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:43 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:
Robin Williams' performance was the best part of that movie.

Would the Star Wars community accept Jar-Jar Binks if he/she/it was voiced with a completely unleashed Robin Williams?
No. No. NO.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:45 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Ugh. I was 13 when ANH came out and, like most other males of my era, have been Star Wars fanatics. I saw this trailer and had high hopes. After the posts here about Empire, the 13-YO glee in me is gone. Thanks.

For the $4 BILLION (ISTR) Disney paid for the franchise, one would think that it came along with at least the draft treatments for 7/8/9 that Lucas promised us geeks back in the 1970s.
Did you just wish for Lucas' involvement in the new films? Really?

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:45 am

Well the newly minted canon of Jar-Jar has him being some sad street performer to kids, a clown. And is ignored by the adults in the Aftermath novel.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

strangerguy
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:51 am

Obligatory viewing of Star War The Third Gathers (so bad its good bootleg translation adapted into a full fan voiceover): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XziLNeFm1ok
8700K 4.3GHz @ 1.05V | Cryorig H7 | MSI Z370M AC | 32GB Corsair LPX DDR4-3200 | GTX 1070 @ 0.8V | 500GB Evo 850 | 1TB M550 | 3TB Toshiba | Seasonic G650 | Acer XB271HU

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:45 am

I don't think anything could cause fandom to accept Jar-Jar, but Robin Williams would have been a huge help.

Phantom Menace is definitely better than Attack of the Clowns, but the only one I actually kind-of almost liked was Revenge of the SIth.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:15 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
I don't think anything could cause fandom to accept Jar-Jar, but Robin Williams would have been a huge help.

Phantom Menace is definitely better than Attack of the Clowns, but the only one I actually kind-of almost liked was Revenge of the SIth.

I must have seen a different first two prequels than everyone here, although the lack of a true first movie for teenage Anakin does affect the entire trilogy.

Yes, RotS was the best of the worst, but it's too bad all of the prequels weren't at least of similar quality.

Side note: If you have any thoughts that maybe The Phantom Menace wasn't really that bad, watch the Red Letter Media review sometime. Pay particular attention to the part about Watto/Qui-Gon's...deal... thing.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:19 am

I'm comparing TPM vs Clowns as concussion vs stabbing. RotS is more like a kid that flicked your nose while you're trying to eat your lunch—annoying but not much worse.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

superjawes

Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:05 pm

To be clear, when I say that Menace is better a better movie than Clones, I am talking about the basic filmmaking and storytelling. The latter film is just...boring. When my wife and I watched through episodes 1 through 6 (in prep for TFA), I literally fell asleep watching that one. Menace still has flaws and some major polarizing elements (Jar-Jar and podracing, for example), but it is still easier to watch and stay engaged.

If anyone wants to argue that Clones is better for less damaging to the Star Wars franchise, I won't dispute that.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:23 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
Hawkwing74 wrote:
RE: Ep 7

I haven't seen it yet. Is it skippable in your opinion? Rogue One, on the other hand, was awesome.

Well, depends how badly you have the fanboy bug. I watched Ep 4 when I was 4 years old. The bug bit me bad. Older and perhaps wiser, I can see how I am a fanboy but they'd have to really torch me before I wouldn't watch each movie at least once.

It was NOT as good as Rogue One. I would say it was more enjoyable than The Phantom Menace.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:47 pm

Ep7 is probably the 4th best movie behind Ep5, Ep4, and R1. Just ahead of Ep6.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:24 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

Thanks for the ordering! I'll have to check it out then.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:05 am

In case you need it, this recap of the Star Wars movies is a handy link to hold onto.

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:53 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

I concur, and figure many rank it likewise.
In Revenge of the Sith, I think it lost an opportunity to express Anakin's regret/remorse at the end. Instead of him waking up and acting like Frankenstein (grrr-Nooo!) it could have been directed better. Otherwise it was better than the two previous films in the 2nd trilogy.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

trackerben

Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:41 am

G8torbyte wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

I concur, and figure many rank it likewise.
In Revenge of the Sith, I think it lost an opportunity to express Anakin's regret/remorse at the end. Instead of him waking up and acting like Frankenstein (grrr-Nooo!) it could have been directed better. Otherwise it was better than the two previous films in the 2nd trilogy.

Episode 6 could have tied with Rogue One at no. 3 without the dumb ewoks-defeat-stormtroopers story. I agree that Revenge of the Sith is the best of the prequels. How would you have ended it?

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:00 am

trackerben wrote:
Episode 6 could have tied with Rogue One at no. 3 without the dumb ewoks-defeat-stormtroopers story. I agree that Revenge of the Sith is the best of the prequels. How would you have ended it?

Just maybe more engaging dialogue between Anakin and Palpatine/Emperor where Anakin tries to process why he took this tragic fall to the dark side. Perhaps realizing it was all a lie from the Sith and resenting Palpatine playing him like a puppet. Understanding he's beyond redemption at this point but it seems the scene at the end was clumsily done with him acting like a Frankenstein robot. I know it's over-analysis for this type of film however there are moments where better acting/direction would have helped.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:17 am

It's just an example of how Ep1-3 had to be retconned into the existing storyline picked up in Ep4. You'd have to rewrite the entirety of 4-6 of the Empire's story if the man who would be Vader had to wind up resenting the guy he called "master" and defended right up until where Luke almost bit it.

It's like Lucas didn't go back and re-watch the first trilogy.

trackerben

Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:28 am

G8torbyte wrote:
Just maybe more engaging dialogue between Anakin and Palpatine/Emperor where Anakin tries to process why he took this tragic fall to the dark side. Perhaps realizing it was all a lie from the Sith and resenting Palpatine playing him like a puppet. Understanding he's beyond redemption at this point but it seems the scene at the end was clumsily done with him acting like a Frankenstein robot. I know it's over-analysis for this type of film however there are moments where better acting/direction would have helped.

I would have had the Emperor scolding him like an overbearing father at first. Then later when Anakin loses control with his roaring Noooo, have the Emperor whip him with force powers to put fear in him, to establish their master-slave relationship.

derFunkenstein wrote:
It's like Lucas didn't go back and re-watch the first trilogy.

Maybe Lucas was watching Young Frankenstein when he thought up the script :)

Kougar

Wed May 03, 2017 3:29 am

Captain Ned wrote:
kvndoom wrote:
Somehow Rogue One has become my favorite of all the Star Wars films though.

Thank Alistair MacLean and The Guns of Navarone. The plots track each other pretty damn closely.

You can draw parallels like that to the majority of movies or TV shows made today. Original plot elements are apparently hard to come by, but especially in <2 hour movies. Let's be honest, cramming a good plot into a 40 minute TV episode once a week isn't much different than weaving a complex story (and finish) within 2 hours. So that's part of the problem right there. At least the TV show doesn't have to lay out character backstory in every 40 min episode, unlike with say Rogue One that had to build everything inside two hours.

It really does mirror TGN and I didn't realize it until ya said so, :lol: but I liked that movie and I enjoyed Rogue One way more than The Force Awakens. Even after ya made that connection I'd still say the plot felt more original than TFA, seriously. Lets come up with something even larger and more absurd than a Death Star, and slowly draw and absorb stellar plasma through an atmosphere without igniting or cooking anything, then fire it back through a planetary atmosphere in concentrated form with no ill effects. But all that aside, TFA rehashing A New Hope's plotline to a T detracted from the movie for me more than anything else. Rogue One was at least something new with a new plot and lots of bad or morally gray characters trying to do good.

If anything Rogue One gets me excited for the next "unofficial" movie that they've already begun hashing out. So even if The Last Jedi is another TFA there should be a decent Star Wars flick after.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu May 04, 2017 10:37 am

Happy Star Wars Day!!

What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu May 04, 2017 11:45 am

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Thu May 04, 2017 2:27 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

There was a hand. Did you bring the hand?
Nearly spewed my coffee :D

I'm an unabashed Star Wars fan. I liked The Force Awakens and Rogue One was even better. First time I saw the fish headed fleet general, I leaned over to my friend and said "Many Bothans died to bring us this knowledge". Not that I saw any Bothans. But at least it made sense of the fatal flaw of the death star and was fun to watch!
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu May 04, 2017 5:26 pm

just brew it! wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYD3QtyEGGM

That was 45 minutes of pure genius. When someone links all of those into one vid, it'll be on my go bag drive.

That took serious work, likely at least a year or two, to tie the new lyrics to ANH while sneaking in Sgt Pepper lyrics where they fit (and there's a lot of them if you listen closely and are old enough to know Sgt Pepper from both directions). My only wish is that they could have had a proper HQ transfer of the 1977 cinema version to work with.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu May 04, 2017 5:49 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
That was 45 minutes of pure genius.

Indeed. I was pretty much floored.

Captain Ned wrote:
That took serious work, likely at least a year or two, to tie the new lyrics to ANH while sneaking in Sgt Pepper lyrics where they fit (and there's a lot of them if you listen closely and are old enough to know Sgt Pepper from both directions).

Not to mention slipping snippets of Star Wars music into some of the instrumental breaks.

Amazing.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu May 04, 2017 6:07 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
The sad part is that your accountants and actuaries have already figured out that that's a popped zit in your expected cash flow from these films.

So ewwww, and so truuuue. :lol:

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu May 04, 2017 8:39 pm

Q: What's the internal temperature of a tauntaun?

A: Luke warm. :lol:
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu May 04, 2017 10:07 pm

:P :lol:

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Fri May 05, 2017 8:07 am

News from May the 4th in Canada

Transport Canada issues a recall for the AT-AT
http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/V ... rn=2017242

Trudeau wears Star Wars socks to meet the Taoiseach
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05 ... eet-irish/

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri May 05, 2017 8:19 am

Mr Bill wrote:
I'm an unabashed Star Wars fan. I liked The Force Awakens and Rogue One was even better. First time I saw the fish headed fleet general, I leaned over to my friend and said "Many Bothans died to bring us this knowledge". Not that I saw any Bothans. But at least it made sense of the fatal flaw of the death star and was fun to watch!

Wrong set of spies. The Bothans died to get the access codes used in RotJ to allow the Tydirium through the shield and onto Endor.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri May 05, 2017 9:46 am

CScottG wrote:
:P :lol:

Try the veal.