tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Re: STAR WARS TIME!

Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:07 pm

My feelings after seeing the movie..........meh! :/
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Darkmage
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:02 pm

kvndoom wrote:
That being said, the lightspeed sacrifice done in total silence was ASTOUNDING, even if it did take her way too long to figure it out especially since she had already resigned to die. I literally said out loud "took you long enough!"

Seen on the Internet:
What a wasted opportunity. Instead of Admiral Purple Locks sacrificing herself on the cruiser with the jump-to-lightspeed gambit, it should have been Ackbar. I want to see him send everyone off to safety, turn that cruiser around, power up the lightspeed engines and just as he hits the button to jump to lightspeed through the opposing fleet... I want him to whisper "It's a trap!"
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:23 am

I don't know if this is gas or water for your fire, but one of the most interesting Star Wars articles I've read in a very long time went up on Ars yesterday:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/12/ ... n-for-kids

If you can't tell by the URL, it's a post that outlines absurdities in Star Wars from Ep4 through Rogue One (avoiding anything about TLJ, if you haven't seen it yet). If you don't actually read the text, at least check out the X-Wing meme.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

gigafinger
Gold subscriber
Gerbil

Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:40 am

I saw the movie over the weekend. It was... ok. I don't know about you guys, but I cannot stand the characters Fin, Poe, Hux, and Phasma. Every scene with any one of them made me wince. Fin can't do anything on his own and his side quest was basically all Rose and Benicio. Poe comes off as disingenuous and cliche. Hux is a shouty pseudo-Nazi incompetent. Phasma, how useless can she be? Oh, and Snoke... He can mind-meld two "powerful" Force users and snoop in on their conversation, but he could not tell that Kylo would betray him by thinking of a different lightsaber? Give me a break. There are too many weak characters in the films. Sigh. The ground assault and space pursuit felt like the First Order were not even trying. At least the score was pretty good.

How I rank all the movies so far:
AOTC < TPM < ROTS < TFA < TLJ < R1 < ROTJ < ANH < ESB

End User
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:42 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Y-Wings, the best WWII approximation (let's be honest, the ANH trench run was ripped straight from The Dam Busters) has to be the Fairey Battle.

Nope. Bristol Beaufighter.

End User
Gold subscriber

Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:44 am

Fantastic movie. Beats out Rogue One for me and I love Rogue One. I've already bought my ticket for a second viewing.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:10 am

gigafinger wrote:
How I rank all the movies so far:
AOTC < TPM < ROTS < TFA < TLJ < R1 < ROTJ < ANH < ESB

I don't know what you are basing your rankings on but they are whack! /sigh
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:19 am

I thought they were whacked out, too, but then I realized I was reading it backwards. Worst at the start, best at the end. Also not sure that it needs the spoiler tag. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:33 am

End User wrote:
Nope. Bristol Beaufighter.

Maybe on looks, but surely not on propensity to be cannon fodder.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

gigafinger
Gold subscriber
Gerbil

Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:38 am

tanker27 wrote:
I don't know what you are basing your rankings on but they are whack! /sigh

derFunkenstein wrote:
I thought they were whacked out, too, but then I realized I was reading it backwards. Worst at the start, best at the end. Also not sure that it needs the spoiler tag. :lol:

Think less than symbol and spoiler tags just in case. My buddy covered his ears when I started ranking them the other night :wink:

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:40 am

derFunkenstein wrote:

What's the matter with you people? Don't you understand the '<' operator? :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

G8torbyte
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:45 am

Well, I saw it over the weekend and as expected the feelings are mixed and just more questions to why they went that way with the story. I do want to see it again at home later when it's released.
I understand why Mark Hamill did not like Luke's character in this episode. The negatives listed here are what many similarly are critiquing:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/18/movi ... itics.html

I heard one child mention at the theater immediately after viewing "I don't know whether to love it or hate it?" I'm not loving it but not disappointed either since there were some stunning visuals but other than that not much else to be thrilled over.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs and gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991
Current setups: X99 Command/Control Station and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:48 am

just brew it! wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

What's the matter with you people? Don't you understand the '<' operator? :wink:

It's just not the order I expected. I had expected him to list his favorites first and my eyes didn't see the < operator.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:23 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
atari030 wrote:
Chrispy_ wrote:
Bombs that drop under gravity, in space.

I'm not sure how that's anything new to comment on seeing as how Y-Wings have done the same in other SW films.

This has come up so often in discussions of this film around the internet that it's almost like someone coordinated such an effort, ignoring this issue in other films in the franchise.

The only time I can recall ever seeing a Y-wing dropping bombs was when they were attacking the planetary gateway in the big battle at the end of Rogue One. Technically, they were in space, but it also looked to be a geostationary planetary low-owbit, so there would definitely be gravity. Now, if the gateway were orbiting the planet, that would be a different matter, but this was not the case.

To me, the "drop the bombs" scenes in E8 stuck out like such a sore thumb, I couldn't stop thinking about it for days afterwards. We can believe in artificial gravity on ships, just about. It's harder to believe when the bombs continue to accelerate towards their target long after they've left the bay doors. I could have let it slide if they were powered or had thusters or something, but no; They just dropped, in space, far above the planet. If the bombs from ship A fell under gravity onto ship B, why on earth did ships A and B not fall under gravity down to the planet?!
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:41 pm

"We suspend our disbelief / And we are entertained"
-- Rush

Taken out of context, but I think it applies here. Suspend your disbelief. Star Trek TOS has "whoosh" sounds etc., and we don't dwell on that (much). This should be no different.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:00 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

It's just not the order I expected. I had expected him to list his favorites first and my eyes didn't see the < operator.

Same but even so his order is still whacked out.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:16 pm

I was talking to a childhood friend last night, someone I've known since age 7. We can deconstruct things all we want but at the end of the day...

Abrams gave us OUR Han Solo back before he dies.

We got OUR Leia back.

We DID NOT get OUR Luke.

Everything else is fodder, Luke didn't FEEL like Luke, they could have fixed all of the other details people are complaining about and the movie still would have missed. In my mind I know it was a pretty good, entertaining movie, but I can't get over the Luke thing. Apologies for the caps, but the alternative would have been dropping F bombs.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:20 pm

I vote we change the header to include "spoilers" and then just drop the spoiler tags.

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:01 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
I vote we change the header to include "spoilers" and then just drop the spoiler tags.

^

Kougar

Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:11 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
I have yet to see the movie, and appreciate the spoiler tags, but when it comes to Y-Wings, the best WWII approximation (let's be honest, the ANH trench run was ripped straight from The Dam Busters) has to be the Fairey Battle.

Props for the link, first I'd ever heard of that plane. Definitely can't get over that crazy long cockpit. Definitely spot on with the Y-WING analogy :lol:

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:42 pm

Here's my one-word review: Dammit.
TR BBQ XV is over.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:04 pm

It feels like Rian Johnson disliked JJ Abrams so much that he wanted to ignore all the setups from TFA and the intentionally left open for clarification.

strangerguy
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:09 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
It feels like Rian Johnson disliked JJ Abrams so much that he wanted to ignore all the setups from TFA and the intentionally left open for clarification.

"We gotta be like totally SUBVERSIVE and breaking NEW ground, man! Nevermind if the script wasn't well thought out or interesting, huzzzzzzzzaaaaaaaaaaah!"
8700K 4.3GHz @ 1.05V | Cryorig H7 | MSI Z370M AC | 32GB Corsair LPX DDR4-3200 | GTX 1070 @ 0.8V | 500GB Evo 850 | 1TB M550 | 3TB Toshiba | Seasonic G650 | Acer XB271HU

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:34 pm

Just viewed it myself..

-sooooo, many things wrong with it like most of the franchise of late.

Still, I did find it more enjoyable than the last two movies (Awakens and Rogue).

-kept thinking though: "when is this going to end?" I think I muttered something like "..surely this will end now?" After the (flee the ship) scene I just stared-on in disbelief. :o

I am finding it hard to believe though that people are having problems with sound in space - that's always been with the franchise.

-might be interesting to see a Rogue One like backstory-movie behind the Empire's ability to track.

I almost crapped my pants (figuratively) when the admiral does the obvious near the "end" there.. NOT because it takes her so long to do so for something so obvious - but because she CAN do something so obvious that it surely would have been weaponized long ago (..and not requiring her to do what she did).

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:59 am

It does make you wonder... if hyperspace ramming into enemies can do enough damage to take out multiple Star Destroyers and a Super Star Destroyer the size of a small Death Star, why on earth would you bother building battleships? Just take a freighter (nice big one, like the one Han had in TFA) and point it directly at the enemy on autopilot.

Whatever, it was a damn cool moment, and it looked visually amazing.

Anyway, nitpicks aside- I really enjoyed the film. It told an interesting and exciting story and had loads of visually stunning moments (holy crap, that throne room fight!), which is what I look for in Star Wars. If I wanted well thought out sci-fi with internal consistency, I wouldn't be watching the series with space wizards and laser swords.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:10 am

leor wrote:
...but the alternative would have been dropping F bombs.

...which fall under the influence of gravity?

drfish
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:19 am

Yeah, I'm afraid that pulling the trigger on FTL kinetic weapons pretty much destroys a huge chunk of Star Wars world building.
TR BBQ XV is over.

gigafinger
Gold subscriber
Gerbil

Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:42 am

tanker27 wrote:
Same but even so his order is still whacked out.

What is the proper [First] order?

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:03 am

NTMBK wrote:
If I wanted well thought out sci-fi with internal consistency, I wouldn't be watching the series with space wizards and laser swords.

Not just space wizards, but space wizards that kiss their sister.

Lucky Jack Aubrey

Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:06 pm

derFunk's link to Ars brings up some interesting points, and others here have mentioned that Luke doesn't seem like our old Luke.

Now, full disclosure: I am a GenX-er who saw and clearly remember ANH when it first hit theaters in the 70s. And, yes, it was the baddest-ass thing I had ever seen. That being said...

I wanted to see the old Luke, now incredibly powerful, come forward and just beat the living dog-crap out of Kylo Ren, something similar to the way Obi-Wan was said to have defeated Anakin Skywalker long before episodes 1-3 were ever made. And maybe kill Snoke into the bargain (he and Snoke killing each other might have been a nice touch). What did happen in TLJ, while an impressive feat of Jedi skill, still left me unsatisfied.

Luke's descent into a grumpy old hermit seems out of character. Yes, he's seen some awful crap. So did Obi-Wan Kenobi, but he remained a stoic Jedi even throughout his exile. But this was beyond our hero Luke?

Nerd question: what the hell happened to the Imperial fleet? Yes, the Emperor fell. Yes, Vader died. Yes, Vader's super star destroyer command ship crashed into the Death Star II (but cf Han Solo's comment in ROTJ: "There are a lot of command ships"). Yes, the Empire itself fell and became the Republic again. Yes, several ships were likely destroyed at the Battle of Endor. Yes, we saw a crashed Star Destroyer in the desert on Jakku. But what happened to the rest of the massive fleet? I always assumed that the remaining fleet command acceded to Republican authority after the fall of the Empire (if they didn't, they'd have a pissed-off ascendant Jedi to deal with). There was no direct indication in the movies that the whole thing was destroyed at Endor or elsewhere. The pre-empire Republic had a fleet. Did the post-empire Republic just decommission the whole thing and become a pacifist regime? Will we see the remnants of said fleet in Episode 9?