Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

NTMBK
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: STAR WARS TIME! - Spoiler Lock Lifted

Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:57 am

trackerben wrote:
Waco wrote:
Which implies it's been done before...yet you could skip more than a few key battles in the original trilogy if so. :P

That's the retro implication. The opportunities would still be limited to rare conditions like those of the chase, but it would be among their outlier doctrines.

One thing I don't accept is that the First Order needed to buy off the hacker for info on what was going on at the Resistance cruiser. In the real world, we already have ground arrays that can track and resolve objects in cislunar space through Earth's atmosphere, some to the lunar surface.

A fictional spacefaring civilization would have developed passive optical and active ranging platforms for scanning/returning any visible region, if only to fix debris/mine fields and spacecraft tracks. Unless those fleeing Resistance transports were going FTL straight from their hangers, they should have been easily spotted and acquired with lasers that already pulse to those distances.

Star Wars technology just flat out doesn't make sense, and hasn't done since the first film.

• The Empire go to the effort of building a moon-sized battlestation to destroy a single planet, when you could just nudge a couple of asteroids towards the planet
  • Space has an "up"
  • "lasers" go at the speed of bullets
  • combat generally looks like a cross between WW2 aerial combat and Napoleonic naval combat.

Realistic space combat would probably be conducted with light-speed weaponry (i.e. lasers), at incredibly high speeds, by AIs acting and reacting faster than the human mind can comprehend. But that doesn't make for good cinema, does it?

superjawes
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:18 am

NTMBK wrote:
Realistic space combat would probably be conducted with light-speed weaponry (i.e. lasers), at incredibly high speeds, by AIs acting and reacting faster than the human mind can comprehend. But that doesn't make for good cinema, does it?
Whaaaaaa? That would never exist. Okay, maybe if we worked for 40 years, we could come up with a semi-automated system.

Sarcasm aside, laser versions of the linked weapon systems are in development, if you'd like some light reading on a science fiction to science fact subject.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. Tis a silly place.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:22 am

NTMBK wrote:
combat generally looks like a cross between WW2 aerial combat and Napoleonic naval combat.

There is a reason for that, that I guess you do not grok. :-?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:32 am

NTMBK wrote:
Star Wars technology just flat out doesn't make sense, and hasn't done since the first film.

• The Empire go to the effort of building a moon-sized battlestation to destroy a single planet, when you could just nudge a couple of asteroids towards the planet
  • Space has an "up"
  • "lasers" go at the speed of bullets
  • combat generally looks like a cross between WW2 aerial combat and Napoleonic naval combat.

• Yeah, even a captured 50K-ton cruiser flung down at 0.4 c will do lots of planet fracking.
  • Some theorize that deep-space screws will standardize on port and starboard, with the latter in the direction of the system's star nexus.
  • 'Tracer' effect, maybe? For movie audiences to see 'hits'
  • More like WW2 aerial combat mixed with WW1 naval combat.

...Realistic space combat would probably be conducted with light-speed weaponry (i.e. lasers), at incredibly high speeds, by AIs acting and reacting faster than the human mind can comprehend. But that doesn't make for good cinema, does it?

It doesn't, but it does make for some very good books.

NTMBK
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:57 am

tanker27 wrote:
NTMBK wrote:
combat generally looks like a cross between WW2 aerial combat and Napoleonic naval combat.

There is a reason for that, that I guess you do not grok. :-?

I thought the reason was because George Lucas ripped off was inspired by a bunch of WW2 war movies? As I alluded to in my post, Star Wars is about what looks cool and makes for a good drama, not what is realistic... which is an entirely valid creative choice :)

NTMBK
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:04 pm

trackerben wrote:

• Some theorize that deep-space screws will standardize on port and starboard, with the latter in the direction of the system's star nexus.

Huh, cool, I hadn't seen that before. I quite like it as a navigational aid :) But you'd presume that in combat you'd throw that concept out the window- "the enemy's gate is down", and al that.

It doesn't, but it does make for some very good books.

Agreed! Some of the Culture books have that style of space combat, and it's extremely cool to read about from the point of the view of the AI.

NTMBK
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:10 pm

superjawes wrote:
NTMBK wrote:
Whaaaaaa? That would never exist. Okay, maybe if we worked for 40 years, we could come up with a semi-automated system.

Sarcasm aside, laser versions of the linked weapon systems are in development, if you'd like some light reading on a science fiction to science fact subject.

Yup, automated weapons systems are already a thing- next step would be giving the computer full control of the vehicle's motion. And then getting rid of the squishy human part, so that they can pull insane manoeuvres at 100s of Gs without smearing human all over the cockpit.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:41 pm

NTMBK wrote:
I thought the reason was because George Lucas ripped off was inspired by a bunch of WW2 war movies?

The Dam Busters, to be specific.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

trackerben

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:20 pm

NTMBK wrote:
trackerben wrote:

• Some theorize that deep-space crews will standardize on port and starboard, with the latter in the direction of the system's star nexus.

Huh, cool, I hadn't seen that before. I quite like it as a navigational aid :) But you'd presume that in combat you'd throw that concept out the window- "the enemy's gate is down", and al that.

Thing is, a map of a star system is a dynamic model of orbital shells and energized tracks. Things are constantly moving, so it makes sense that the gravitational nexus would be standardized as a navigational frame of reference. The method is from Campbell's Lost Fleet books, which I really enjoyed.

In the example of an "enemy's gate", its simple coordinates would be given as an arc increment from a 'star'-board bearing taken aboard the formation lead. The nominal distance to the gate would be in light-seconds/-minutes/-hours. Globular volumes that represent the limits of surveillance and coordination for ship formations are similarly localized. Visibility across millions of miles (light-minutes) is appended with time-late indices, to reflect observational latencies.

Agreed! Some of the Culture books have that style of space combat, and it's extremely cool to read about from the point of the view of the AI.

I found the AI eminences interesting as socialized champions to the civilizations, knights who fight complex domination battles in space, on ground, and in minds.

If you like things relativistic and telescoping in a shifting world, you should check Haldeman's Forever series.

Darkmage
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:06 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
NTMBK wrote:
I thought the reason was because George Lucas ripped off was inspired by a bunch of WW2 war movies?

The Dam Busters, to be specific.
Which is a quite good movie if you ever get the chance to watch it. There are some bits of exceptional cleverness involved (especially how to fly dozens of feet over the water at night with poor instrumentation and not crash). It's one more example of how some very clever people came up with some very innovative solutions to difficult problems with life and death on the line.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:20 pm

Darkmage wrote:
It's one more example of how some very clever people came up with some very innovative solutions to difficult problems with life and death on the line.

And a couple of shillings to spend on the problems.
Humans sleep soundly in their beds because rough cats stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

Darkmage
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:21 pm

The best thing about The Last Jedi is that it can have a little something for everyone's taste. :)

Well... with a little editing.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

Shobai
Gerbil First Class

Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:20 pm

Darkmage wrote:
The best thing about The Last Jedi is that it can have a little something for everyone's taste. :)

Ha, thanks so much!

Kougar

Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:29 pm

Darkmage wrote:

:lol:

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:57 pm

Darkmage wrote:

found my favorite version in that list.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Darthutos
Gerbil First Class

Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:31 pm

The trick is to find the exact runtime of any music.
I might plan one.... Hm.....

Kougar

Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:00 pm

Another Star Wars movie series is coming—from Game of Thrones‘ showrunners

So not just another movie, but another trilogy separate from the main series and the secondary Rian Johnson arcs is now in the works.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:24 am

I'm not super excited that Rian Johnson still has a job after TLJ. So I am not expecting much from his 'arc'. But Benioff and Weis, now that I can get behind. But I cannot imagine that there would be two SW arcs in movie format. One of these has got to be the Netflix (Or Disney's own streaming service called Movies Anywhere) show or something.

But what about that Solo teaser. Looks real good to me.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

G8torbyte
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:15 pm

tanker27 wrote:
But what about that Solo teaser. Looks real good to me.

Yep, we need a fun Star Wars movie after that last episode. I like how people are linking the easter eggs Ron Howard may be putting in the movie with references to his history with George Lucas in American Graffiti which also starred Harrison Ford. And how Solo's speeder in the chase scene looks like a Ford Falcon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Graffiti

Later, -G8tor
Building PCs and gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991
Current setups: X99 Command/Control Station and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

G8torbyte
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:28 pm

EW's article here posted yesterday gives more background on Howard's relationship with Lucas and what happened on the directorship changes. Interestingly he mentioned Lucas came by hung out on the set and even made a small scene change. Also the article's author provides some details of each character in the new film.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs and gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991
Current setups: X99 Command/Control Station and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

trackerben

Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:48 am

tanker27 wrote:
I'm not super excited that Rian Johnson still has a job after TLJ. So I am not expecting much from his 'arc'. But Benioff and Weis, now that I can get behind. But I cannot imagine that there would be two SW arcs in movie format...

Well, they could do something like an OutBound Flight-style trilogy, bring in a Thrawn and/or a Yuuzhang Vong. It wouldn't even have to course through the same galaxy.

I'm not into GoT-style fantasy, so I can't really comment on how that background could be of benefit here.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:15 am

trackerben wrote:
.......Yuuzhang Vong.......

Oh geeze, please anything but them! Let them die with the EU.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Darthutos
Gerbil First Class

Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:49 am

Yuuzhan Vong is soooooo old school.
Killiks are the ones you want.
No one will be able to defeat ReyTaat. There is no hope for the Resistance.
Edit: Re George Lucas's Star Wars. I thought it was inspired by Castle of Blood with Toshiro Mifune.
Edit 2: Actually, Abeloth!Rey would defeat ReyTaat....

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:29 am

Darthutos wrote:
Yuuzhan Vong is soooooo old school.
Killiks are the ones you want.

You realize that the Yuuzhan Vong and Killik existed in the same time, right? In fact you really cannot tell the story of Yuuzhan Vong without the Killik because both were integral to the Galactic Civil War. And again one thing that needs to die with the EU because it was such a crap story line.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

trackerben

Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:19 pm

tanker27 wrote:

Oh geeze, please anything but them! Let them die with the EU.

I'll settle for a Thrawn-alike who would restore the Empire through the First Order.

Darthutos
Gerbil First Class

Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:18 pm

I liked the Killiks trilogy (Dark Nest Trilogy) because it put the mighty Jaina Solo in her place and the big three really got off the sofa and told the galaxy who's really boss.
edit: Trackerben, you mean... Thrawn?

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:06 am

Darthutos wrote:
I liked the Killiks trilogy (Dark Nest Trilogy) because it put the mighty Jaina Solo in her place and the big three really got off the sofa and told the galaxy who's really boss.

Non-cannon. And at this point with the introduction of Ben Solo it'll probably stay that way unless someone retconn's it later. We shall see, the SW universe is just ramping up.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:37 am

tanker27 wrote:
Darthutos wrote:

Non-cannon. And at this point with the introduction of Ben Solo it'll probably stay that way unless someone retconn's it later. We shall see, the SW universe is just ramping up.

"ramping up". You meaning coming back to life after having 3 limbs amputated for no good reason other than Disney wanted more flexibility to not have to work within the confines of an existing canon. Also, the "ramping up" is line a 2 stroke engine turning on when you don't have the choke set properly. The last attempt was the worst one yet.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:06 pm

No, ramping up like Marvel.

Disney has announced:
2 Netflix serials
2 Movies Anywhere serials (aka Disney streaming service, used to be called Disney Anywhere.)
1 Replacement to Rebels
and at least 3-8 Movies in the hopper.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Darthutos
Gerbil First Class

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:22 pm

There are some who think what Marvel is doing is wrong.
Anyway, here's an article
https://undeadwalking.com/2018/02/12/wa ... l-january/

Apparently marvel sales are relatively down.