Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Online Mattress Purchases

Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:37 am

I know a few gerbils must have tried getting a new bed online to put next to their running wheel, go ahead and share.

My wife and I have been struggling with a very flimsy $300 bed that was less than 3 years old and had spring failure. We got rid of my much loved Englander because it was ancient and finally having issues with sagging in the center.

So into research mode we go and we end up with the Tuft and Needle King. Everything seemed fine until a night was slept on it and the wife was in pain the next morning. I gave it a few more nights and notice extremely sore muscles behind my ribs going towards my back (odd place to be sore). Thinking we did something wrong we removed the full water proof cover we put on it so that we are laying on the bed with just sheets. She seemed to think that made a noticable difference in allowing her to sink a bit into the bed. At this juncture I'm not sure it changed anything and this bed will likely go back. I think we have learned we like softer more conforming beds but am a bit reluctant to try another bed we can't just lay down on and try. This thing feels like laying on cardboard with a 1/2 foam topper.

Our runner up that wouldn't ship here was the ultra cheap Zinus Green Tea bed.

Which of you have tried online beds, which ones and what are your thoughts.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Re: Online Mattress Purchases

Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:21 am

I have a Purple (King size BTW) I absolutely love it. I based my decision primarily on Sleepopolis reviews.

The review from Sleepopolis was spot on for the Purple. The Purple is kind of weird at first, its not like a memory foam feel, but something more firmer. Also I sweat when I sleep so the unique structure of the Purple keeps it very cool at night. I didn't feel like I was being smothered or in a sweat box.

Also I use it attop my old King Boxsprings (which isn't really boxsprings but a wooden foundation covered in fabric. They have no springs in it.) but you can absolutely use it by itself on a platform if you prefer that euro look.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite

Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:45 am

Mattress is too personal, like shoes. Plan a trip to Seattle with wife and take a side trip to the IKEA in Renton and try out in person. Signup for free member program before hand.

You could also search for a mattress topper.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:06 am

IMHO I wouldn't suggest a mattress topper for anyone. For one they move around and become a pain. If a mattress is bad, say you have a busted spring or a permanent dip in it a topper wouldn't fix this. In fact it just may compound the issue. A good mattress, one that you feel is right for you, should not ever need a topper.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:53 am

tanker27 wrote:
A good mattress, one that you feel is right for you, should not ever need a topper.

This. I always wonder why people do this. If what you buy doesn't work, don't sink more money into Jerry rigging it to work.

The Purple mattress advertised hard towards us so we were sort of turned off by that. Did lots of reading about the different brands and thought we wanted a firm mattress, we we're wrong. It seems like almost all of the online options are much more firm options. Even the Tuft and Needle we are using sells itself as a medium-firm which seems like a bit of a lie, most certainly firm. Sleepopolis claims the most recent version is a 5.5-6, it it has to be closer to an 8-8.5 like his initial review. Second only to a plank of California redwood.

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:07 am

We have a Sleep Number, and love it. Sure it is pricey, but the ability to customize it is invaluable, especially if you have the pleasure of trying to get over a back injury. I like my mattress stiff, but while trying to get my back sorted out I needed it really limp. Also the isolation between sides is necessary if you like a happy marriage and you happen to be a flapjack factory.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:55 am

I bought a Casper. I'm very much a side sleeper and it's just on the cusp of being too firm. I like it most of the time but every here and there I wish I had something softer. It's soft enough to squish when you push on it but you completely THUD if you take a flying leap onto it.
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:37 pm

MileageMayVary wrote:
I bought a Casper. I'm very much a side sleeper and it's just on the cusp of being too firm. I like it most of the time but every here and there I wish I had something softer. It's soft enough to squish when you push on it but you completely THUD if you take a flying leap onto it.

That is good to know, I was almost considering trying that one next but we are both side sleepers, my wife especially. I woke up again this morning really sore in my shoulders/neck, more shoulders than anything. I'm easy as hell going as far as sleep surfaces usually. I mean I've slept on couches, I've slept in my trucks driver seat for 2 weeks while hunting. Nothing quite feels as crappy as this T&N.

Anyone try one of these beds that is actually ultra comfy while still supporting you?

LostCat
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:22 pm

I got a gel mattress a few years back, one of the cheaper ones. Came from an old spring mattress and I love it. I'm sure I could've spent more but even so I didn't expect to love it.
Meow.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:23 pm

So I let the Tuft and Needle gets know how hard their bed feels for us and they instantly offered up a free 2" topper that is made of their own foam, basically an extension of graphite infused foam that the mattress is already made of. SOOOO even though I said toppers are dumb (and they still are), since this is made of the same stuff, it should be near the same thing if they had made this a 12" bed to start with more of their in-house designed foam. I guess the topper usually runs $101 for a king, and they sent and shipped it to me free even with me purchasing the bed through Amazon. Worth mentioning I thought.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:11 pm

Nice, hope it works out for you. We ordered our most recent mattress online from Costco, but since we live in Not Alaska, the standard return policies don't cause any heartburn. In any case, ours was a bit firmer than our previous one but it broke in after a few weeks.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:50 pm

Sleep Number here as well. They all come with toppers; the thickness of which determines how much you pay. That said, they zip to the base mattress all the way around, so there's no slippy-slidey.

I remember how much we spent for the thing and also remember watching it go together and being quite certain that, at least price-wise, this was a rip-off business. My back can't complain, though. The sheer amount of "free" kick-ins should have been a warning, but SWMBO had decided and I was powerless to appeal.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

ozzuneoj
Gerbil Elite

Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:29 pm

My wife and I bought this Sleep Innovations combination back in 2015 when we moved to a larger place and it has been really nice.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003C ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006M ... UTF8&psc=1

I have absolutely no complaints. I just don't think about how my bed feels... its just there and it feels great to lay on it. I also don't ache in the morning at all, which is an improvement over the old "Full" size bed we had with a thin cheap mattress (adding a $100 memory foam topper helped but it was still hard on my back). For around $500 (mattress and frame) I feel like we got a great deal.
Fractal Design Define R6 - Ryzen 5 3600 - Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite - 16GB DDR4-3000 - PNY GTX 970
IBM 5150 - Intel 8088 4.77Mhz + TinyTurbo 286 7.16Mhz - 256K onboard + AST SixPakPlus 384K - 20MB Miniscribe MFM - Everex EV-659 EGA + Parallel

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:18 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
I remember how much we spent for the thing and also remember watching it go together and being quite certain that, at least price-wise, this was a rip-off business.

The Consumer Reports source link has been bit-binned, but several news articles point back to 2010 item as claiming the mattress business averages 50% margins.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:27 pm

Isn't 50% margin pretty typical for retail?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:56 pm

just brew it! wrote:

As someone who does do a fairly small amount of retail... yes. If it's larger items then you can do slightly less margins and smaller items (commodities, ect) you can easily reach near 100%. I don't have margins like that because I find it sort of crappy if it's an item just being resold with no labor put into it.

These guys are obviously "R&D" whether that is all foam designed from ground up, or combining them, materials choice, marketing, cost of machinery, logistics, ect. So 50% margin is actually less than I expected.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:17 am

The most ridiculous example that springs to mind is small button/coin cell batteries. There's like a 1000% (or more) markup on those things if you buy them at a B&M retail store.

http://www.target.com/p/energizer-2016- ... A-14490382
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... -ND/704856

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:06 am

just brew it! wrote:

Only if you want to end up in line at bankruptcy court next to RadioShack. It's more like 6-7% on net sales (3-4% if you're selling groceries). IIRC it used to be 10%+ but the Internet ended that.

IOW, if you purchase a major appliance at Best Buy, their margin on the $800 item might be 1%, while the $30 accessory cord is marked up something like 800% and if they're lucky, you'll grab your copy of Rogue One from the display up front and replace your busted phone charger cord from the grab-n-go kiosk near checkout. They get about 6-7% on the total receipt, or a bit more if you buy the protection plan. But they might not have gotten the sale at all if the big-ticket item wasn't price-matched to the penny against their competitors.

A mattress store pulling 50% on a big-ticket product line is an entirely different business model, and one that had the rare fortune of surviving the advent of Internet retail.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:24 am

OK, I should've probably said "specialty retail". Not commodities like groceries.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:00 am

You can throw computers into the specialty box then too. Although now as great as it was in Circa 2004, computer stores have some insane markups still. They have lost a lot of business compared to back then, but some people still head to a local computer repair place to have a "custom" computer built. The markups are well close to that 50% range, trust me I've priced some of them out locally :P

paternal_techie
Gerbil In Training

Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:45 am

We were in a similar boat but not so much on the cheap mattress. We bought a king size Sealy Posturepedic mattress from a big box retailer of mattress store years ago for close to $2k. Mattress began to fail, sagging and buckling. We constantly woke up in pain from this so called luxury mattress. The mattress was covered under warranty, however we were forced to go back to retailer to pick another mattress. Wife really was interested in a Tempurpedic Breeze or something but I just couldn't swallow spending $5k, $3K out of pocket plus the $2k from the warranty, for the mattress and box springs.

I did research on https://sleeplikethedead.com and https://sleepopolis.com. We finally settled on https://loomandleaf.com. We bought the L&L Relaxed Firm based upon our research as it was similar to the Tempurpedic. The bed was actually delivered by a contractor and does not come in a box. They setup and remove your old bedding. They give you 120 days to try out the mattress.

Long story short, we love it. I have not waken up with aches or pains. Wife sleeps through the night and I saved a ton compared to using the warranty at big box retailer. I highly recommend them!

We even had the same technician come by that did our warranty claim from the big mattress retailer to adjust our new bed frame rails we bought from a different furniture store, apparently their company is used by other retailers. We asked him to test out the mattress and lie on it. Within a few minutes he said he was going to buy one as he was in a market for a new mattress.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:11 am

We got a Lucid 12" memory foam mattress a month or two ago from Amazon. Sleepopolis is a good source for comparisons. (This mattress, specifically: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007G ... UTF8&psc=1)

I sleep like the dead now. :P It's rediculously comfortable and absorbs basically all movement. The wife tends to move around a lot as she sleeps and I can't even tell she's moving at all thanks to the mattress and a sturdy frame.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

cheeselover
Gerbil In Training

Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:15 am

I have my own Tuft and Needle and I with my DH never felt anything except happiness about this mattress. Maybe that is because we are both stomach sleepers and need firm mattresses. TN has 7/10 according to this table. Extra firmness could be a possible reason for your problems, other sleeping positions especially sleeping on side suffer from rigid mattresses. Perfect firmness for SS is 6/10 and top layer of memory foam to provide pressure points relief. Leesa considered to be a great choice in soft-medium range.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:18 am

I bought the Purple (Queen) last September and it's one of the best purchases I've ever made.
I sleep in various positions, but on my side most of the time.
Beforehand I had significant neck pains that were not going away as well as often waking up all sweaty.
Researching reviews and such showed that for (often) too hot side sleepers - this is THE mattress to get.
Both of my problems have been completely eliminated. The only new problem is getting out of the (incredibly comfortable) bed has now become that much harder. 8)

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:10 pm

Wife and I got a sleep number king a couple of years ago... she likes a soft mattress (somewhere in the 30-35 range on the sleep number) whereas I have mine set at 100 and wish it would go just a bit higher... but it's very comfortable.