Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Re: 16 Y/o dies from caffeine overdose

Thu May 18, 2017 9:22 am

SoM wrote:
i drink around 20 cups, should i slow down ? it's the only thing i drink

You're probably habituated to it by now, so it's not having the same effect that it would have on someone with less of a coffee habit. It's probably not great for you, but there are far worse things that you could be legally ingesting.

That being said, if you ever need to cut it out of your diet - say, if you end up in the hospital for any length of time due to an injury - you're going to suffer some terrible headaches and irritability until your body readjusts.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu May 18, 2017 9:42 am

Glorious wrote:
1 glass of whole milk = the amount of fat in a McDonald's hamburger

LOL.

I grew up drinking whole milk, and switched to 2% (and eventually skim) as time went by. We never have whole milk in the house unless a recipe calls for it as an ingredient. On the occasions where our kids have tried whole milk, they have proclaimed it disgusting. IIRC the youngest daughter said "It feels like I am drinking a stick of butter!"
If the world isn't making sense to you, you're either drinking too much or not drinking enough.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Thu May 18, 2017 9:50 am

just brew it! wrote:
IIRC the youngest daughter said "It feels like I am drinking a stick of butter!"

The problem being?
If the Earth were flat, cats would have pushed everything off of it by now.

ludi
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu May 18, 2017 10:54 am

Glorious wrote:
JBI wrote:
just imagine that there are two entire Snickers bars' worth of sugar dissolved in every serving of Mountain Dew.

I had a great science teacher in the seventh grade who made a bunch of very memorable comparisons exactly like that one, so it stuck with me.

Another one that stuck with me is this one:

Those comparisons can be misleading, though. The entire calorie load of Mountain Dew is the sugar. A full-size Snickers bar may have only about half as much sugar (20g) as a 12oz can of Dew (40g+), but it also has a few complex carbs and a lot of fat, resulting in a nearly identical calorie load. The Dew will hit your blood sugar levels faster and harder, but either one will give the same amount of dietary calories.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Chrispy_
Gold subscriber
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu May 18, 2017 11:02 am

just brew it! wrote:
Chrispy_ wrote:
Kid's diet was mountain dew, McDonalds and Energy drinks; Pretty sure diabetes & heart disease come with that territory.

Over time, maybe. I seriously doubt it would've done that much damage by age 16. Mountain Dew and junk food (and beer...) was essentially my diet too for many years, and I'm still here. :wink:

But yeah, there will always be a few outliers who have an undiagnosed pre-existing condition of some sort, whether it is a congenital heart defect, a hypersensitivity to specific substances, or something else.

Congenital defect for sure; I ate and drank all kinds of terrible things up until I was about 20, often in excess. I would probably kill to be able to do that to my body these days; Far worse things happen even on my low-alcohol, low-sugar, low-process, whole-food diet :\
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

whm1974
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu May 18, 2017 11:49 am

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
IIRC the youngest daughter said "It feels like I am drinking a stick of butter!"

The problem being?

I can't even drink skim milk, it tastes like water!

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu May 18, 2017 11:57 am

I still hit the Mt. Dew pretty hard occasionally (like this week, with a big deadline at work and resulting long hours). It's Diet Mt. Dew these days though... so instead of diabetes, I'll die of whatever it is they're claiming artificial sweeteners give you. Or maybe from the BVO (brominated vegetable oil). In general, I've switched to LaCroix for most of my at-work beverage consumption though.
If the world isn't making sense to you, you're either drinking too much or not drinking enough.

Vhalidictes
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu May 18, 2017 12:30 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I still hit the Mt. Dew pretty hard occasionally (like this week, with a big deadline at work and resulting long hours). It's Diet Mt. Dew these days though... so instead of diabetes, I'll die of whatever it is they're claiming artificial sweeteners give you. Or maybe from the BVO (brominated vegetable oil). In general, I've switched to LaCroix for most of my at-work beverage consumption though.

I must admit I'm a little surprised, JBI. Even a bit disappointed. Couldn't you just brew low-ABV stuff for drinking at work?

MOSFET
Silver subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Thu May 18, 2017 1:14 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Glorious wrote:

LOL.

I grew up drinking whole milk, and switched to 2% (and eventually skim) as time went by. We never have whole milk in the house unless a recipe calls for it as an ingredient. On the occasions where our kids have tried whole milk, they have proclaimed it disgusting. IIRC the youngest daughter said "It feels like I am drinking a stick of butter!"

LOL @ Milk

1%, 2%, 3%

aka

1%, 2%, whole

Waco
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Thu May 18, 2017 1:18 pm

MOSFET wrote:
LOL @ Milk

1%, 2%, 3%

aka

1%, 2%, whole

:lol: I was about to post the same thing. 2% isn't *that* much better for you. If I'm drinking milk, it's the real stuff. It's not often enough I even care about the fat/calories.
Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon | 6700K @ 4.5 | 16 GB | GTX Titan X | Seasonix Gold 850 | XSPC RX360 | Heatkiller R3 | D5 + RP-452X2 | Cosmos II | 480 + 240 + LSI 9207-8i (128x8) SSDs

ludi
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu May 18, 2017 1:24 pm

MOSFET wrote:
LOL @ Milk
1%, 2%, 3%
aka
1%, 2%, whole

Whole milk is 3.25% per USDA labeling requirements. Average dairy cow produces at 3-4% milkfat.

What that means is that in an 8-ounce (235 mL) glass, whole milk has about 8g of fat while 2% has 5g and 1% has 2.5g. That's a pretty big difference if you're counting calories.

I'm not. I like whole milk.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu May 18, 2017 1:53 pm

Glorious wrote:
I had a great science teacher in the seventh grade who made a bunch of very memorable comparisons exactly like that one, so it stuck with me.

Another one that stuck with me is this one:

I have a family member who teaches Biochem, and one of the labs she used to do was to extract the fat from Cheez It's. What's left is gnarly blob of fat dyed a that-doesn't-occur-in-nature orange. Also one of those things that sticks with you.

Fat is normal part of our diet just like carbs and protein, but most of us here in the States are already consuming enough of it without the addition of things like McDonalds, Taco Bell, and other forms of fast food.

As for the story, I agree we won't know for sure what happened to the kid exactly, but it is difficult to see this happening without some kind of pre-existing condition. Being a teenager is often synonymous with doing stupid things multiple times a day(although some people do find a way to prolong that for a while afterwards), and yet most of them survive to adulthood.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri May 19, 2017 1:04 pm

Waco wrote:
MOSFET wrote:
LOL @ Milk

1%, 2%, 3%

aka

1%, 2%, whole

:lol: I was about to post the same thing. 2% isn't *that* much better for you. If I'm drinking milk, it's the real stuff. It's not often enough I even care about the fat/calories.

Not that much better for you but it's still like a 38% difference in fat, assuming 3.25% is correct.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
I control the groove

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Fri May 19, 2017 1:18 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Not that much better for you but it's still like a 38% difference in fat, assuming 3.25% is correct.

Ah, the irrationality of percentage differences when the total percentage is so small.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri May 19, 2017 1:25 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Ah, the irrationality of percentage differences when the total percentage is so small.

Whether it's "small" in the grand scheme of things depends on how much milk you drink and how much you're watching your calorie intake. If you drink 4 cups of milk/day the difference between whole and 2% works out to about 175 109 calories. (Edit: Fix math error)

I generally don't drink milk as a beverage (nearly all of my dairy intake is in the form of cheese), so for me the issue is largely irrelevant.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Fri May 19, 2017 1:35 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I generally don't drink milk as a beverage (nearly all of my dairy intake is in the form of cheese), so for me the issue is largely irrelevant.

Apropos of nothing, do you suffer from Asian lactose intolerance (Gerbils, calm yourselves. It's a real thing)? Or does the cheese fix the lactose problem?

Arvald
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Fri May 19, 2017 1:36 pm

Reading later articles it seems he was shotgunning drinks... the 3 drinks were spread but there would have been a caffeine spike each drink.

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri May 19, 2017 1:36 pm

I drink heavy cream right from the carton. :wink:
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Fri May 19, 2017 1:38 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
I drink heavy cream right from the carton. :wink:

Oh dear, I have trodden in Monsieur's bucket.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri May 19, 2017 1:59 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Apropos of nothing, do you suffer from Asian lactose intolerance

Not that I'm aware of, but my digestive system has always been a little wonky so I imagine it is possible that a mild case may have gone unnoticed/undiagnosed all these years, especially given that I don't tend to drink a lot of milk.

Captain Ned wrote:
Or does the cheese fix the lactose problem?

Cheese does indeed have significantly less lactose than an equivalent amount of milk, FWIW...

Arvald
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Fri May 19, 2017 2:05 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Apropos of nothing, do you suffer from Asian lactose intolerance

Not that I'm aware of, but my digestive system has always been a little wonky so I imagine it is possible that a mild case may have gone unnoticed/undiagnosed all these years, especially given that I don't tend to drink a lot of milk.

Captain Ned wrote:
Or does the cheese fix the lactose problem?

Cheese does indeed have significantly less lactose than an equivalent amount of milk, FWIW...

real aged cheese is lactose free for the most part.
learned that from having a lactose intolerant girlfriend and teaching her to eat again :-)
Biggest thing she had missed was cheese and finding she could eat cheddar aged over 1 year made her happy.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Fri May 19, 2017 2:06 pm

I was a milk-chugging fiend in my teens, but the well-documented creeping lactose intolerance with age has pushed me to the cheese side. Can't remember the last glass of milk I drank regardless of fat %.

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri May 19, 2017 3:42 pm

I've heard that cheese generally contains anywhere from 0-10% of the lactose of other milk products, and my digestive system corroborates with this (can eat any reasonable amount without issues). I became intolerant somewhere around 25, though it had probably been for a few years and I was just too stupid to realize what was going on.

Note: "Processed cheese foods" are going to be much higher in lactose than real cheese.

MileageMayVary
Gerbil First Class

Wed May 24, 2017 2:13 pm

whm1974 wrote:
I can't even drink skim milk, it tastes like water!

I agree, skim is funny tasting water.
I only ever buy milk for the few times a year I want cereal. I just pick the 1% or 2% which has the longest sell by date.
Main rig: Ryzen 1600@3.8GHz, R9 290@1050MHz, 16GB 2666MHz, 1440 Dell Ultrasharp.