Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Re: It's worked like that for years...

Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:13 pm

I got canned a few jobs back over an absolutely garbage Buffalo NAS that I had no part in selecting or purchasing. Devel. Director wanted cheap NAS. I showed him cheap NAS. He insisted it be cheaper. I told him anything available at a lower price would be unreliable and dangerous. I was overruled and "The Buffalo" entered my life. For a year and change, I'd get a ping in the AM from a developer. NAS is down, plz reboot. I'd try to log in to the terrible http console, nothing doing, hard power cycle. Told Buffalo about it, they told me that NAS was a SOHO model and we were working it too hard, and it must be too hot in our 62F server room. Fast forward a year and change, and I had a disk RMA in progress. The day before the disk arrives, two other disks fail simultaneously (Well, overnight, but there's no notifications or monitoring). Array is GONE. No mas data, childrens. Advise Director, he blames me. If I weren't already making other working arrangements, I could have fought, but it wasn't worth the stress. I heard that later they replaced the disks, defined the array again (without parity, since they needed the space), and restored the backup. Someday soon I'll hear about the next disk failure and how it took out the whole array, but the new IT guy is in the Devel. Director's band and they are bros, so it'll be quiet.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:04 pm

Forge wrote:
I got canned a few jobs back over an absolutely garbage Buffalo NAS that I had no part in selecting or purchasing. Devel. Director wanted cheap NAS. I showed him cheap NAS. He insisted it be cheaper. I told him anything available at a lower price would be unreliable and dangerous. I was overruled and "The Buffalo" entered my life. For a year and change, I'd get a ping in the AM from a developer. NAS is down, plz reboot. I'd try to log in to the terrible http console, nothing doing, hard power cycle. Told Buffalo about it, they told me that NAS was a SOHO model and we were working it too hard, and it must be too hot in our 62F server room. Fast forward a year and change, and I had a disk RMA in progress. The day before the disk arrives, two other disks fail simultaneously (Well, overnight, but there's no notifications or monitoring). Array is GONE. No mas data, childrens. Advise Director, he blames me. If I weren't already making other working arrangements, I could have fought, but it wasn't worth the stress. I heard that later they replaced the disks, defined the array again (without parity, since they needed the space), and restored the backup. Someday soon I'll hear about the next disk failure and how it took out the whole array, but the new IT guy is in the Devel. Director's band and they are bros, so it'll be quiet.

Yeah it is important to buy the right equipment for the job, and listen to your IT guys when they tell you something is crap.

MOSFET
Gerbil XP

Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:32 pm

Forge wrote:
I was overruled and "The Buffalo" entered my life.

Ryzen's release must have been very painful for you.
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.