Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

TV Shows - Share Them (NO SPOILERS)

Wed May 31, 2017 6:37 pm

So I've watched a few damn good shows as of the past few months and figured I'd share the good and bad. Maybe even hopefully help someone to avoid terrible ones.

Stranger Things - Duh, so well done.

West World (HBO) - Wow... just wow. If you don't read a bunch about the show, then you'll be in for a surprise a few episodes in.

The OA - What a waste of time. I really wanted to like this show, but the ending literally had to laughing and it was meant to be serious. It really hints that it is going to give you something good and then doesn't even remotely deliver. It felt like the ending meant to make a big politically correct statement that was empty and wasn't even addressing an issue with any resolution. Watch if you want to laugh at the end.

Glitch - Another random show I started watching. It's an Aussie production and I have to say the production quality is there, the acting is good, the story is downright good and of course it has the drama. Sort of reminds me of the show "Lost". Highly recommend it, only a single season out now.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

Evaders99
Gerbil First Class

Re: TV Shows - Share Them (NO SPOILERS)

Wed May 31, 2017 7:34 pm

Outside the typical DC shows...

The Good Place - last fall's comedy starring Kristen Bell who ends up in someone else's afterlife. Writing is very good and will subvert your expectations
The Magicians - finished season 2, it starts slow as a kind-of "Harry Potter for adults" and really takes off towards the end of season 1. Season 2 is some of the best TV I've watched, it's a little dark and a dicey, very much a dark fantasy.
The 100 - season 4 just finished. It's starts off season 1 as a very typical post-apocalyptic CW teen drama, but Season 2 really takes it off into it's own show. Lots of grey choices that the characters jump through - twists and turns, alliances and betrayals. It's not one I would have normally picked up, but glad I did (from a friend's recommendation).

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed May 31, 2017 7:51 pm

I've been enjoying Face Off. The artists' creativity is impressive.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

RickyTick
Gerbil Elite

Wed May 31, 2017 8:14 pm

The 100 is pretty good. There are moments that are sorta pfffft.
Billions (Showtime). Really good, but moves fast. I usually watch each episode twice to make sure I don't miss anything.
Homeland (Showtime). This was a great show the first few seasons. This latest season is terrible and unwatchable. I stopped watching after 6 episodes.
Designated Survivor is meh. I loved Kiefer Sutherland as Jack Bower in 24 and was hoping this would be similar, but it's not. Great at times and yet disappointing at times.
Colony is interesting and I'm looking forward to the next season.
Fear The Walking Dead starts up next week and i can't wait.
Game of Thrones is the best show on TV just ahead of The Walking Dead.
Corsair 450D | EVGA SuperNova G3 650W | Asus Z270 Prime-A | Intel i7-7700K | Cryorig H7 | MSI GTX1070 Gaming X 8G | 16gb GSkill TridentZ DDR4 3200 | Crucial MX300 M.2-2280 1TB | Corsair K70 Rapidfire | Logitech G502 | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed May 31, 2017 8:40 pm

Supernatural is an old one but fun to stream (and continuing in its 13th season starting this fall).

For nostalgia blasts from the past that are fun:
Netflix has a reboot of Voltron with two seasons available and a third on the way.
Also, there's the reboot of the Thunderbirds that is pretty awesome for using a combination of CG and old-school puppet effects in a way that I think is pretty cool.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

Redocbew

Wed May 31, 2017 9:24 pm

The Expanse on Sci-fi is a good one. Sherlock on the BBC is good also.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:19 am

I couldn't do The 100 for the same reason you said, it was waaaay to YA film for me. Hell the opening music and the stupid banter/bickering just seemed so cheesey and unoriginal. I was also forewarned and told to make it to season 2 and then it gets good.

I watched The Expanse the day they released the first episode on YouTube and have high hopes for it. Sort of forgot about it, will have to pick it back up. Most certainly is a Sci-Fi space nerds show. Lots of language to pick through and they give you almost no time to decipher through it, which had a sort of appeal to me.

Another show I watched and was sad was cancelled after 1 season was "Other Space", a Yahoo original. It pretty much is a big joke about space Sci-Fi shows but doesn't insult them. It has Mike from the original Mystery Science Theatre 3000 and the AT&T chick Milana Vayntrub. It's an awesome akward space Sci-Fi comedy. I'd recommend it as it gets better and better. Of course it's only one season so really easy to pickup and finish.

Is it sort of Sad that my 4 year old gets ahold of mom's phone and purposefully puts Voltron on Netflix? Seemed really good.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

NTMBK
Gerbil XP

Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:08 am

I found Billions absolutely dire. Unbelievable characters, talking utter bollocks in very portentous voices. Peel away the sheen of high production values, and underneath it's got a crap script.

Just finished watching season 2 of The Last Kingdom. That was fun.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:27 am

I have been watching V(2009) on CW Seed since I missed it back when it first aired. Sleepy Hollow is also good.

TheEmrys

Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:02 am

My wife and I love Longmire. Great adaptation of a series of booms. Its about a Wyoming Sheriff with some baggage and his deputies. It also does an amazing job portraying life on the Rez. Final season coming out this fall.

The OA was well worth watching. Will watch season 2.

Supernatural is my wife's and mine guilty pleasure. We constantly can't believe how they have managed to not run out of material.

I have no idea why I continue to enjoy Parks and Rec. Although, far too many people have declared that I am Ron Swanson.

Really enjoying some classics. And by classics, I mean late 80's and 90's sit-coms. Seinfeld and Frasier remain excellent cerebral comedies: a lot of jokes will go over folks' heads. Newsradio is hilarious. How is it that everyone on there is amazing, barring Andy Dick?

Friends managed to age well. Not sure how.

I am watching That 70's Show for the first time. Red Foreman is my favorite.

I always love Top Gear reruns. Mostly from Series 20 and before.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:35 am

I think Westworld and Stranger Things were both awesome, and make everything else suck in comparison. But they're old news, and can't wait till season 2's but that'll be a while. In the meantime:

Don't forget shows that are still running, rather than just in their first season! Such as:

Fargo - Absolutely awesome. Even though each season is not directly related and set in a different time zone, all of the 3 seasons, including the current one are exceptional.
Archer - Absolutely awesome even into it's 8th season.
The Expanse - Incredible. Mainly because we haven't had a decent sci-fi since Battlestar Galactica ended. So we've got this. Admittedly it's no Fargo or Stranger Things, and faffs around a bit, but it's in the same cringe factor space as Battlestar Galactica was and with no competition in its category is a much watch.
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - I don't even know how this show exists anymore in the current PC overblown media sterilized world, but somehow it's stayed funded. It's never let me down for a laugh, absolutely disgusting bunch of people doing stupid things, and somehow it's one of the funniest TV shows ever made.
Rick and Morty - Season 3 will be back soon!
Game of Thrones - will be back soon.... durrrr............. obviously.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:13 am

I started watching Continuum with my wife. Enjoying it so far.

Into the Badlands is pretty cool. Has a Game of Thrones vibe.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:35 am

If to limit to stuff from recent years:

Deadwood. Western, 2004-2006, 36 eps, 8.7 Imdb.
Rome. 2005-2007, 22 eps, 8.8 Imdb.
Spartacus. 2010-2013, 34 eps, 8.6 Imdb. Seems partially inspired by Rome. Less polished, a bit cheap/awkward/cliche at times, but still amusing.
Battlestar Galactica (new one). 2004-2009, 73 eps, 8.7 Imdb.

Hawkwing74 wrote:
I started watching Continuum with my wife. Enjoying it so far.
Yeah, it was likable and generally polished (some CG could be better). But pretty soon it started going nowhere. Just an overarching theme, but they didn't have anywhere specific to take it. So it ended up being a sorta police drama/action with some decorations.

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:14 pm

Recently:

Handmaid's Tale on Hulu - Near future, post mini-apocalypse show. Very good.

13 Reasons Why on Netflix - good, especially if you have teenage kids.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

Voldenuit

Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:50 pm

Legion - seriously, wow. This show is smart, stylish, engaging, and knockout performances by Dan Stevens and (especially) Aubrey Plaza. Noah Hawley knocked it out of the park, much like he did with Fargo (TV).
Wind, Sand and Stars.

TravelMug
Gerbil

Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:54 pm

I won't repeat the ones that were mentioned already unless you are into a bit of "most recommended" then I can revisit, so here are some other ones:

iZombie - if you enjoyed the style of Veronica Mars, but now with grown up people
Brooklyn 99 - it's just great, like a Parks and Rec mixed with a bit of 30 Rock
Ground Floor - just two short 10 ep seasons, great characters including John C. McGinley as the boss
Master of None - two seasons out, it's got it's own style, I like it even though I don't like Aziz Ansari's stand-up, season two has some great homages to some European directors and film eras

Bauxite
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:06 pm

+1 for The Expanse, shaping up to be at least as good as BSG 2.0 and has an actual planned out story (based on books helps) like B5 did.

Ignore the fact that is it on syfy, they really have nothing to do with it thankfully.

beltalowda
TR RIP 7/7/2019

Kougar

Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:03 am

I keep hearing things about The Expanse. Didn't realize it was also a book series. I'll snag a few episodes to watch.

Evaders99 wrote:
The Magicians - finished season 2, it starts slow as a kind-of "Harry Potter for adults" and really takes off towards the end of season 1. Season 2 is some of the best TV I've watched, it's a little dark and a dicey, very much a dark fantasy.

The three books were good, though they're best read as one trilogy like LoTR. I've been a little afraid to watch the show since I know the books, but I guess I'll give it a try.

trackerben

Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:10 am

meerkt wrote:
If to limit to stuff from recent years...

Fictional classics:
Hornblower A&E Series (1999-2003)
The Man in The High Castle (2016-)

Madcap
The IT Crowd (2006-2008)

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:52 am

Currently watching:
Seinfeld (via Hulu) - I've never seen about half the series, because I was a little younger and too into video games when it originally aired
Gotham (first two seasons on Netflix, season 3 finale airs this coming Monday) - Not a show you can jump into part-way. You've really gotta start from the beginning. Somewhat predictable plot resolutions, and it's gotten very strange. Can't look away.

Other favorites:
Most of the Netflix MCU shows - Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage. Not Iron Fist. Bleah. Looking forward to The Punisher.
Firefly, Burn Notice, Psych, Friends, How I Met Your Mother, Arrested Development...probably plenty of others, but these are the ones I go back to. I was never a huge TV person (see my comment on Seinfeld) but my wife likes these and it gives us something in common.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:04 pm

Every time I re-watch a few episodes of HIMYM, it occurs to me, all over again, that that show had a bigger budget and better special effect than some movies. What's up with that? It *is* just a Sitcom, right?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:26 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
Every time I re-watch a few episodes of HIMYM, it occurs to me, all over again, that that show had a bigger budget and better special effect than some movies. What's up with that? It *is* just a Sitcom, right?

I think it was really a labor of love for the people that worked on the show. Yes it was hugely successful and ran on a big broadcast network (CBS), so it had a decent budget I'm sure, but they really made the most out of it. Some huge cameos including Katy Perry and Brittney Spears means they had money, though.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:21 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
Every time I re-watch a few episodes of HIMYM ... that show had a bigger budget and better special effect than some movies.

Per episode or season? :)

Rome supposedly cost $100M+ for the first season of 12 episodes.