Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Yan
Gerbil XP

Re: Tell me about the new Crypto-Currency

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:28 am

DPete27 wrote:
However, when I checked this morning, ethminer had crashed with a DAG error.

Look up "ethminer DAG error" on Google. You should try Google first when you have a problem like this. (You should also note the exact error message.)

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:55 am

The only way I've even gotten this far is to google everything. Admittedly I didn't have enough time to do more than a quick google search this morning in attempts to solve this problem due to having to get the kid to daycare and being 45 minutes late to work....I tried the few things that came up at the top of the list and they didn't work, so I figured I'd throw it up on here and see if I get a bite before I get home.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

astrotech66
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:41 am

Here's an interesting article about crypto-currency mining from last week on the PC Perspective website: PCPer Article

It seemed easy enough to get going, so I'm trying it out. Supposedly my GTX 1080 will produce about $6-$7 per day using the Nicehash client, based on current values. I was already using it for folding, so my electricity bill will stay the same, plus we're having solar panels installed on our house later this month.

Yan
Gerbil XP

Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:32 pm

astrotech66 wrote:
Supposedly my GTX 1080 will produce about $6-$7 per day using the Nicehash client, based on current values.

Nicehash was banned in a pool I use because of perceived abuse (scroll down the news at the top). I don't know whether that's a common problem.

A few dollars a day sounds realistic. It's not a lot a money, but having your computer produce something you can trade for real cash is amusing.

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:43 pm

ptsant wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Hawkwing74 wrote:
I think he is in Bitcoin for the "long haul." :o

You might want to let him know that, despite what proponents believe, tracing Bitcoin transactions to individuals is trivially easy these days.

[/day job]

Even when the individual has a personal wallet? Wouldn't that mean matching the IP to a person? Law enforcement can do it, but is it trivially easy for NON-law enforcement?

It's not about the wallets, it's about the endpoints of the system. Once they have a wallet-to-wallet transaction record stashed in the records of some big fat target like an exchange they can follow the blockchain back to the origin point. What they manage to get from the origin depends on how good the other guy is, i.e. do they sit behind Tor and a web of deniable identities. The typical armchair speculator doesn't do these sorts of things, though.

In other words, if you and I had a deep business relationship and traded favors back and forth for coin (which is what this whole thing was intended for) it's unlikely that anyone would ever notice amid all the other noise. If, on the other hand, I took your coin and cashed out at a law abiding exchange, we'd both wind up on Ned's radar because it's not all that hard to grep the Internet.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:14 pm

What about ZCash. Does anyone have experience/knowledge about that?
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

Firestarter
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:29 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Day job here. Any US-based endpoint (where coins become USD & vice versa) MUST honor the Customer Identification Program rules laid out in the anti-money laundering regulations (31 CFR Chapter X, for the terminally sleep-deprived). Chief among that is a scan of a photo ID and a hard physical address.

Don't get into "coin" thinking you'll be anonymous.

[/Day Job]

what about monero?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:35 pm

Firestarter wrote:
what about monero?

Doesn't matter which cryptocurrency, If you're exchanging it for USD to US-based customers, you need to do the full CIP. FinCEN and the states won't license offshore exchanges without that piece and without licenses we can shut them down within 24 hours once we're made aware.

As for all of the new hot CC mining opportunities, it looks like everyone is taking their payout in BTC anyways, so the ultimate exchangeability and liquidity of those other CCs is still a moving target.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

drobber
Gerbil

Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:08 am

What cryptocurrency to invest in when more and more new coins appear on the market? You are asking the right questions. Of course, one should not lose sight of the largest assets in terms of capitalization - bitcoin and etherium - but what else can I pay attention to? And most importantly, I am interested in cryptocurrency, which I can use on the crash gambling site. What do you recommend?