Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Dashcam for my Car - Buying Advice Needed

Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:53 am

I'll recommend the same one i usually do and an alternative and explain why.

https://www.amazon.com/Street-Guardian- ... 0787HDXJK/

Video samples
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUNxVHyIy-8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzy3KMpSo8U

These guys consistently have the highest quality video i can find day and night. If there's any chance you're going to catch a plate it's with their camera. It does have a seperate kit with a open wire to mini usb for direct wiring. The most certain overnight solution is to use an sd card big enough to handle the entire night and pull it out if you see a problem in the morning, just incase impact detection doesn't work or you find it's too sensitive and protects too much which risks filling the card. Because there's so little traffic at night, i've found it's surprisingly fast to skim through an entire night and find an incident if you have the right quick scrolling video player like VLC which loads as you drag through the position bar with the mouse. It might not be the funnest way to do it, but it's a good backup and once a year it wouldn't be too much trouble.

As for dealing with the ui in incidents, that particular camera uses a supercapacitor big enough to correctly end the current recording before shutting down. The advantage is that in the event of an accident that isn't automatically detected, you can just pull the power out of the top of it, and know for a fact the last video will have the incident. There's also a button you can press which i found uncomfortable to fumble with. My older model of this didn't have previous file incident saving either, that is if a new 3 minute section of video just started recording before you press the button, it would only mark the current file as protected. I would hope they changed that but i can't find anything on it. That said, i wouldn't worry about that too much, your card at worse will save a few hours of data, and a 256 can save 24 hours or more. Even if you have to do some digging, it'll at least be there. Although that does bring me to why i use the one i use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075QBPJ96/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be4jjYDobdM

Reduced video quality compared to the first, but in the testing that i did grabbing a plate is difficult beyond a car length even with the other camera. That said this camera has wifi and their own app which has worked very well for me. In the event that i want to pull something, i simply connect to the camera and download it to my phone. At the very least i have a copy, and during an incident it could be more quickly shown to an officer with ease. The video cuts are also more neatly done. Pressing the incident button, or having an impact detection will protect the previous 10 seconds and the following 30 in their own video file, which makes a reasonable sized video for uploading as well. The downside is that i can't find a paired camera for the rear.

In my companies experience with cameras, forward cameras alone are enough to prove whether or not you were doing anything wrong in an incident, so if that's your main focus then you should be fine with that. I'm not 100% sure whether connecting two to the app would work, but the app does seem to allow me to add a second camera by swiping on the main screen.

Also, and huge props for this, the recording light is an extremely dim blue led. It's barely visible during daytime, and totally reasonable during night time. It's a small detail, but it's about time someone stops putting supernova class bright LED's on night time devices. The streetguardian camera has a airplane landing strip red light blinking on it that i blocked with my sun visor, for comparison.

I looked at many cameras before making my decision and what i found is that most of the cameras attempting to use wifi for data transfer are depending on third party generic apps for communication that may or may not work, or had problems like they would stop recording frequently and you have no way to know so be careful if you're looking at other models of those. I haven't experienced any reliability issues with this one.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:17 am

Heiwashin wrote:
Also, and huge props for this, the recording light is an extremely dim blue led. It's barely visible during daytime, and totally reasonable during night time. It's a small detail, but it's about time someone stops putting supernova class bright LED's on night time devices. The streetguardian camera has a airplane landing strip red light blinking on it that i blocked with my sun visor, for comparison.

Completely off-topic, but I wish companies would stop putting blinding bright LEDs on ANYTHING designed to be used indoors that isn't intended to be a source of illumination. I think things have gotten a little better in the past few years; I don't find myself needing to put tape over gratuitously bright blue LEDs as much as I used to.

Tip: If an LED is too bright but you still want to be able to see it, a couple of layers of the frosted type Scotch tape is a good low-tech fix.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:31 am

just brew it! wrote:
Heiwashin wrote:

Completely off-topic, but I wish companies would stop putting blinding bright LEDs on ANYTHING designed to be used indoors that isn't intended to be a source of illumination. I think things have gotten a little better in the past few years; I don't find myself needing to put tape over gratuitously bright blue LEDs as much as I used to.

Tip: If an LED is too bright but you still want to be able to see it, a couple of layers of the frosted type Scotch tape is a good low-tech fix.

:lol: I have a roll of electrical tape on standby 8) Also, i've wondered if sticking a small needle through led's is a safe permanent solution for lights i don't need.
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:03 am

Heiwashin wrote:
Also, i've wondered if sticking a small needle through led's is a safe permanent solution for lights i don't need.

I would not recommend doing this. While it should be "mostly harmless" in the vast majority of cases (since the LED will typically have a dropping resistor in series to limit the current if you short it out), there's a small risk of unintended consequences. I've seen cases where the power indicator LED serves a dual role - some other circuit is using the voltage drop across the illuminated LED as a voltage reference. In designs like this, removing/disabling the LED will cause the device to malfunction.

Chalk it all up to the "race to the bottom" in consumer electronics. LEDs actually do make passable voltage references (i.e. they are non-linear devices where the voltage across them is relatively stable even if the current flowing through them fluctuates); where high precision is not required, "doubling up" on the role of the LED saves the manufacturer the few cents it would've cost them to add a proper voltage reference (zener diode or voltage reference chip).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:07 pm

Count me disappointed. :lol:
When drunk.....

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:14 pm

Thanks for the very informative response Heiwashin. Street Guardian was already a high potential candidate with what limited research I had done, but I'll probably move that to the top. A quick glance shows that they also keep up with firmware updates, which says alot about device support and support in general. My only potential area of concern is with the rear camera, which appears to be an interior rear dash mount. I do have tinted windows (35% in the back, so not exactly limo tint); hopefully that wouldn't cause any issues. A little more research shows that flush or plate-mounted rear backup cameras are fairly inexpensive (generally under $80), so I'd probably just use a separate unit and avoid having to worry about finding a dashcam unit where I can split the rear signal, and/or any problems that might come along with that.

Funny you should like an Anker Roav cam, as I had actually looked at a camera by a different company with the same name, but apparently spelled differently -- Rove. In particular, they have a new model coming out this month, but I don't know much about them, and being a new model it won't have been reviewed or vetted by anyone unless I'm willing to wait a bit. It does have an option for a rear camera, but mentions little about it. For whatever it's worth, I noticed their HQ is about 45 minutes from me, near the IL-Wisconsin border. Thoughts? I would think that 4k would be very storage-intensive.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:25 pm

Well I think that the wide area being captured mixed with the tiny lens and sensor limit the max useable resolution anyway. It's pretty much either you get the plate, or you don't but you still get the accident. It seems like it's pretty much always the latter. That's why I changed my priorities to ease of use and file access.

Hell my companies system they use on some trucks captures at 10 frames a second at maybe 540, and it's been more than enough in court.

I would never buy a dash cam without looking at video samples, preferably not posted by the manufacturer. All of the sensors out there are somewhere between 1080 and 4k these days, but some of them have terrible video quality especially at night.
When drunk.....

Firestarter
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:44 pm

just want to chime in and say I'm pretty happy with my Viofo A129 duo + hardwire kit

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:15 pm

To update, I ended up getting the Street Guardian SG9663DCPRO that Heiwashin suggested, along with the hard-wire kit.

I haven't installed it yet. Not particularly looking forward to it either. Luckily my car's fusebox should be easily reachable by going down the driver-side windshield pillar and into the dash (it's behind a little fold-out cubby by the driver's left knee). Unfortunately for the rear camera, I have no such plastic pillar (or overhead) shrouds, so I'll probably have to run the wire above the headliner.

Are rear dashcams typically mounted at the top of the rear windshield, or bottom? I would expect top-mounting to give a better picture (as well as being easier), but it might cause visibility issues when looking in your mirrors.

roncat
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:44 pm

The Egg wrote:
To update, I ended up getting the Street Guardian SG9663DCPRO that Heiwashin suggested, along with the hard-wire kit.

I haven't installed it yet. Not particularly looking forward to it either. Luckily my car's fusebox should be easily reachable by going down the driver-side windshield pillar and into the dash (it's behind a little fold-out cubby by the driver's left knee). Unfortunately for the rear camera, I have no such plastic pillar (or overhead) shrouds, so I'll probably have to run the wire above the headliner.

Are rear dashcams typically mounted at the top of the rear windshield, or bottom? I would expect top-mounting to give a better picture (as well as being easier), but it might cause visibility issues when looking in your mirrors.

Let me know how this one works, 'cause I was thinking about buying this:
https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Key-Sized-140-degree-Wide-Angle-Automatic/dp/B07R638L8N/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=arstech20-20&linkId=17a4d5a6069fcb11438d4151c851d723&language=en_US

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:57 pm

roncat wrote:
Let me know how this one works, 'cause I was thinking about buying this:
Garmin Dash Cam Mini

I actually looked at some of the higher-end Garmins first, with the assumption that they'd have a more polished UI due to being a big name. To my surprise, they seem to be somewhat poorly received. I also wanted a rear camera, and the wireless connectivity method left me doubting the reliability a bit.

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:35 pm

Are has a nice write up. Any thoughts?

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/06 ... ery-drive/
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:06 pm

Only that the vava is one I passed up due to claims of unreliability and unpredictable behavior. The one single thing you need a dash cam to do, is record.

One of the reasons I switched away from my old one is it was too much trouble for me to verify my sd card was working because I would lose my sd card reader in the chaos of small truck storage. That's not even their fault and it was still enough for me to switch because I missed important situations due to faulty sd cards. No way I'd risk having a camera with reports that it sometimes just stops recording with no clear indication.
When drunk.....

Ronmcdon
Gerbil In Training

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:46 am

Im using Eyecam SV88 https://www.eyerideonline.com/. They have military-grade outdoor camera, adjustable for side, front or rear views, high-resolution 1/3” CCD, night vision up to 65ft and vandal-proof IP69 enclosed design. Use about a year and very satisfied.

laguitarra
Gerbil In Training

Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:22 pm

Take the test on the EzDashcam website and it will come up with a perfect dash cam suggestion. I got 70mai Pro after that and gotta tell pretty satisfied with this camera.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:23 am

FireGryphon wrote:
Are has a nice write up. Any thoughts?

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/06 ... ery-drive/

Thoughts: worthless affiliate link clickbait. They just advertise whatever will be profitable to them through clicks. Which is not surprising for Ars.

Anyone who is interested can just go to YouTube and search for samples of videos for particular camera. Or go discuss it in appropriate forums like Dashcamtalk forums.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people