Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Any Spam eaters here(Yes the canned meat product)?

Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:54 pm

whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
I'm thinking chicken and turkey would be the best meat to artificially grow and far easier to sell to a wider range of people than beef or pork.

If it's all artificial anyway, why would people object based on what kind of meat it is meant to resemble?

Well maybe, but I'm thinking that devout Hindus, Muslims, and Jews at least would still have issues eating beef and pork even if is cultured in a vat.

Could also go the other way. "Hey, now I can eat this without breaking the rules!"
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:29 pm

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
If it's all artificial anyway, why would people object based on what kind of meat it is meant to resemble?

Well maybe, but I'm thinking that devout Hindus, Muslims, and Jews at least would still have issues eating beef and pork even if is cultured in a vat.

Could also go the other way. "Hey, now I can eat this without breaking the rules!"

People that would do that, tend to do it already, with the powers of compartmentalization and justification.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:41 pm

Well... This happened...

bfg-9000
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:41 pm

George Foreman lets you heat up your spam twice as fast! Just be aware that spam actually has more fat per oz than most ice creams...

McDonald's in Hawaii has served spam since at least 2002 to go with their staples of saimin and (actual deep fried, not baked) taro pies.
Burger King followed up in 2007 but also failed to make it a proper plate lunch with macaroni salad.

Someone has pretty decent pictures of the various award-winning 7-11 musubis as well.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:18 pm

Yup, a cheap, tasty snack is never farther away than the nearest 7-11 or ABC store. (ABC is a local Hawaiian chain of convenience stores, think 7-11 plus t-shirts, sunglasses, overpriced macadamia nuts, and other touristy stuff.)

And yes, macaroni salad is everywhere. Our two biggest contributions to Hawaiian culture may very well be Spam and macaroni salad!

Had the McD's Portuguese sausage egg and rice breakfast platter (and a taro pie) last time we were in Hawaii. Most of Kauai shuts down on Sunday, and we were looking for a quick breakfast; McD's was one of the few places open on Sunday morning. The color of the filling in the taro pies is mildly disturbing. My wife thinks steamed rice with breakfast is weird... but she's Irish/Hungarian, so what does she know? :lol:

I will probably be making some spicy Spam musubi this weekend. Add a little Sriracha sauce to the pan when the Spam is nearly done browning and let it caramelize a bit. Yum!

bfg-9000
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:02 pm

The Menehune Pack bento box sounds mildly disturbing, kind of like leprechaun stew or broiled gnome or even kid's meal.

But then oriental flavor sounds creepy too, especially in the absence of occidental or caucasian flavor...
-"If God didn’t want us to eat the animals, He wouldn’t have made them so tasty."

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:26 pm

bfg-9000 wrote:
The Menehune Pack bento box sounds mildly disturbing, kind of like leprechaun stew or broiled gnome or even kid's meal.

But then oriental flavor sounds creepy too, especially in the absence of occidental or caucasian flavor...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zCO4j4MrxE

...and then, going off on a bit of a tangent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUgctwV91_A

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:30 pm

I will not eat it from a can.
I will not eat it just like ham.

I will not eat green eggs and Spam!
Sam I am!

Just kidding. I don't eat it often but thin sliced and crisped spam goes great in a lot of recipes and even makes a good bacon substitute (sacrilege I know).
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:32 pm

drfish wrote:
Well... This happened...

TR Spamicue CONFIRMED!!! ;-)
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:42 pm

bfg-9000 wrote:
But then oriental flavor sounds creepy too, especially in the absence of occidental or caucasian flavor.

You don't have to worry unless it's green.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

bfg-9000
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:26 pm

Hey it's JBI who brought up Soylent in this thread, and then said purple pie filling was "disturbing."

Original Spam is 44% fat
Blue Bonnet Soft Spread margarine is 43% fat
Cooked bacon is also around 43% fat

No wonder why it tastes so good!
In comparison, maximum allowable fat for ground beef sold in supermarkets in the USA is 30% but restaurants are free to use as much fat as they like, explaining why 1/4 pounders are so small after cooking.

Kewpie squeeze bottles are so soft they make fine pastry/piping bags. Not surprising as their mayonnaise is often used to draw stripes onto food just as you'd do with icing, for things like pancakes. Their website even has directions for using the bottle.

Looks like the unicorn meat in a spam can folks got threatened with a lawsuit even before it became a real product for sale. Of course it changed into dismembered stuffed animal parts for production.

Oh, and http://i.imgur.com/10lf28n.gifv

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:34 pm

Speaking of canned unicorn meat, I wonder how well canned horse meat would sell in France and other places where they eat horse?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:42 pm

Well, I could find links to Russian canned horse meat but nothing from France. Doesn't surprise me as France is all about "fresh".

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:46 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Well, I could find links to Russian canned horse meat but nothing from France. Doesn't surprise me as France is all about "fresh".

I'm sure even France has plenty of poor and lower income folks that can't afford the "fresh" stuff. Potted Horse Spread anyone?

bfg-9000
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:08 pm

Poor people aren't going to be eating horse. These prices are in Euros
Horse is the best meat to feed your tigers and lions because it is lower in fat and they must eat a lot of it. It's too bad animal activists got it banned for US pet foods in the 1970s.
ImageImage
Last edited by bfg-9000 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:14 pm

bfg-9000 wrote:
Hey it's JBI who brought up Soylent in this thread, and then said purple pie filling was "disturbing."

Never said I've actually tried Soylent. (I haven't, though a few of my co-workers are into it.)

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:15 pm

Good God!!! And I was thinking that deli corned beef and pastrami was priced high at ~$8 to $10 a pound. :o

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:17 pm

bfg-9000 wrote:
Poor people aren't going to be eating horse. These prices are in Euros

So what?

There are expensive cuts of beef too. Or contrast the price of sashimi-grade tuna with a can of Chicken of the Sea.

A nice Filet Mignon costs around that much, and I don't hear that being used as an argument that "poor people don't eat beef".

bfg-9000
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:23 pm

Yes, but do you see cans of "beef" at the grocery?

There are plenty of cans of processed taco filling, sloppy joes etc made of beef but not a one to be found if you search for canned beef. Very unlike say, canned chicken chunks. I expect like beef, horse doesn't taste like much so any byproducts are used in processed foods as a cheap meat filler. That's why they were used as pet foods. They would then be known by the name of the processed food (you wouldn't call a sloppy joe a beef sandwich)
Last edited by bfg-9000 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:25 pm

bfg-9000 wrote:

There are plenty of cans of processed taco filling, sloppy joes etc made of beef but not a one to be found if you search for canned beef. Very unlike say, canned chicken chunks.

Actually I just went to Food Ruler earlier this evening and they had plenty of canned beef. In fact I brought four cans of corned beef hash.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:26 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Good God!!! And I was thinking that deli corned beef and pastrami was priced high at ~$8 to $10 a pound. :o

Those Euro prices are in kilos, so it's 10€/pound.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:27 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Actually I just went to Food Ruler earlier this evening and they had plenty of canned beef. In fact I brought four cans of corned beef hash.

Mmm, Dinty Moore. Hash, stew, or chili, it's all cheap eats I once relied upon.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:28 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

Those Euro prices are in kilos, so it's 10€/pound.

True, but aren't Euros worth more than the US dollar right now?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:36 pm

whm1974 wrote:
True, but aren't Euros worth more than the US dollar right now?

My favorite FOREX site says $1.12 per Euro. That said, one must take into account the vast differences between EuroZone VAT regimes and US sales tax regimes to even try to approximate relative prices between the two currency systems. It's why The Economist has used the Big Mac Index to gauge Purchasing Power Parity (PPP) between widely differing currency/tax/basic economies since 1986.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:39 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

Mmm, Dinty Moore. Hash, stew, or chili, it's all cheap eats I once relied upon.

I used to eat Dinty Moore beef stew over rice or Ramen Noodles.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:46 pm

whm1974 wrote:
I used to eat Dinty Moore beef stew over rice or Ramen Noodles.

Back when I was in summer YMCA camp, racks of #10 cans of Dinty Stew were a common dinner. Probably explains why I still like the stuff.

bfg-9000
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:47 pm

Hmm, looks like in some places, people are actually selling pot roast or stew as canned beef in gravy. Like potato hash or corned beef, those are processed foods I wouldn't refer to only as "beef" no matter what the marketers say any more than spam is just canned pork. FYI it's seasoned pork and ham with potato glue and gelatin.

I stopped buying Dinty Moore when they switched to hamburger just to add a little soy filler. I mean how cheap can you get, stew meat is so cheap. I loved the stuff and would've remained a customer if they had only raised the price instead.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:52 pm

bfg-9000 wrote:
Hmm, looks like in some places, people are actually selling pot roast or stew as canned beef in gravy.

Let me get this straight. You're actually expecting to find a can on a supermarket shelf that is marked "canned beef" and your expectation is that when you open it you will find a single cut of raw beef shoved in a can with no liquid or flavorings? Are you looking for a canned strip steak or a canned rib-eye?

Also, pot roast in its braising sauce and beet stew both completely meet the definition of "beef in gravy" regardless of the container. Or perhaps your vision of "canned beef" is this, a/k/a the starting point for S on a Shingle.

bfg-9000
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:55 pm

No, I was expecting that's why you can't find a french can of "canned horse." It would be called something else and processed

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:01 pm

bfg-9000 wrote:

There are plenty of cans of processed taco filling, sloppy joes etc made of beef but not a one to be found if you search for canned beef. Very unlike say, canned chicken chunks.

https://www.amazon.com/Keystone-Meats-N ... Bbeef&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/Hormel-Roast-Bee ... anned+beef
https://www.amazon.com/Yoders-Canned-Pr ... Bbeef&th=1