Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Any Spam eaters here(Yes the canned meat product)?

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:19 am

About 12:30 this morning I got this huge craving for Spam, which I haven't eaten in a long time. So I went over to 7-11 and pick up a can of it and ate half of it... Not too bad if spiced up a little bit. A little bit of reading, and it turns out that the stuff is really popular in some countries in Asia and other places where fresh meat is hard to get. And folks who live like Doomsday is just around the corner tend to stock up on the stuff...

Now the biggest complaint I have about Spam, and it sure seems that the only stuff I can find is only the plain meat product and not the flavoured varieties, such as garlic, jalapeno, Hot&Spicy, etc. I did find Spam Onion and Chives spread about 13 years ago at the local Big Lots, but they haven't carried since I brought most of the stock at the time....

So who else eats Spam?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Any Spam eaters here(Yes the canned meat product)?

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:26 am

What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:27 am

I don't believe I have ever eaten it.

It sounds intriguing after many years of hearing about it. A Filipino friend cooks with it but I haven't eaten the results.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:31 am

I've only ever eaten spam one of three ways:

* Baked in a casserole
* Fried on a sandwich with some good brown mustard
* Fried as a breakfast meat

It's been good like that, though. I could go for some right now.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:32 am

My parents both came from Hawaii, so yes I ate a lot of Spam when I was a kid. I don't eat it often these days (and probably didn't eat it at all for a decade or so back in the '90s-'00s timeframe), but Spam musubi rocks. It's also really good diced, browned, and added to mac and cheese.

I've been to the official Spam Museum in Minnesota. :wink:

I try to get the reduced sodium variety (which is merely high in sodium, as opposed to ridiculously stupid high).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:32 am

I don't eat it regularly, I'd say quiet rarely actually, but it's not because I have anything against it, it's just not on my radar most of the time. The "low" sodium stuff is the way to go IMO, otherwise it's just too salty (and I don't say that lightly). Slice it up thinish and fry it until it browns up a little, then eat with a side of cheesy scrambled eggs, good stuff.

trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:33 am

Stepping up to the frying plate, Spam eater reporting!

You can find Hot & Spicy at places where Mexicans shop, Black Pepper should be available at local Chinese groceries.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:34 am

You know it's really funny now but back in 80's and early 90's, the only folks who ate the stuff were the poor and those who went camping or hiking a lot.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:38 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
I don't believe I have ever eaten it.

It sounds intriguing after many years of hearing about it. A Filipino friend cooks with it but I haven't eaten the results.

Whatever you do, make sure you get the real stuff and avoid getting Treet. That stuff is gross and the dog I had at the time wouldn't even eat that stuff.

trackerben

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:45 am

Captain Ned wrote:

Great with Coke. If you can't make your own, look for a nearby L&L Hawaiian Barbecue.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:47 am

I like to get some on occasion. I don't usually eat it any special way though. I can find the flavored varieties at Walmart's usually.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:52 am

Heiwashin wrote:
I like to get some on occasion. I don't usually eat it any special way though. I can find the flavored varieties at Walmart's usually.

Next time I'm at Walmart I'll look for the flavored stuff. Anyplace online where I can order the stuff by the case for a decent price?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:57 am

whm1974 wrote:
Anyplace online where I can order the stuff by the case for a decent price?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... words=spam
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:04 am

Captain Ned wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Anyplace online where I can order the stuff by the case for a decent price?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... words=spam

Is the Tocino seasoned Spam any good?

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:08 am

whm1974 wrote:
You know it's really funny now but back in 80's and early 90's, the only folks who ate the stuff were the poor and those who went camping or hiking a lot.

I'd say that's an over-generalization. In certain parts of the world (e.g. Hawaii) it has been consistently popular going back to WWII. It was a common item in military rations back then, and given that it required no refrigeration it quickly got assimilated into the local cuisine (which is essentially a collision of American, Asian, and Portuguese).

trackerben wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

Great with Coke. If you can't make your own, look for a nearby L&L Hawaiian Barbecue.

Making your own isn't rocket science. While you can buy purpose-designed musubi molds to form the rice block, that isn't even a requirement. Traditionally (in Hawaii) the Spam can was used as the rice mold.

Hawaii trivia: Convenience stores there sell Spam musubi, typically right next to the pre-made sandwiches. You can eat it cold, or many stores have a microwave you can use to warm it up.

I may need to make a batch of Spam musubi this weekend now; this thread has got me craving some.

trackerben

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:10 am

Tocino Spam will be fine if you go for soy sauce flavorings. Personally, I think the Teriyaki flavor is just as good.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:18 am

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

I'd say that's an over-generalization. In certain parts of the world (e.g. Hawaii) it has been consistently popular going back to WWII. It was a common item in military rations back then, and given that it required no refrigeration it quickly got assimilated into the local cuisine.

Yeah I can see quite a few areas where Spam would be and would stay popular. But I grew up in and still live in the middle of the US, So when I was growing up Spam was something that was considered to be poor man's food.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:20 am

whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

I'd say that's an over-generalization. In certain parts of the world (e.g. Hawaii) it has been consistently popular going back to WWII. It was a common item in military rations back then, and given that it required no refrigeration it quickly got assimilated into the local cuisine.

Yeah I can see quite a few areas where Spam would be and would stay popular. But I grew up in and still live in the middle of the US, So when I was growing up Spam was something that was considered to be poor man's food.

I grew up in the Midwest as well. Yeah, we didn't have much money, but given the family history I'm sure we would've still eaten it anyway even if we'd not been just scraping by.

trackerben

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:24 am

just brew it! wrote:
Making your own isn't rocket science. While you can buy purpose-designed musubi molds to form the rice block, that isn't even a requirement. Traditionally (in Hawaii) the Spam can was used as the rice mold.

Hawaii trivia: Convenience stores there sell Spam musubi, typically right next to the pre-made sandwiches. You can eat it cold, or many stores have a microwave you can use to warm it up...

It can be tricky to find good nori. We also spread Japanese tube mayo and add some vinegar to the rice and regular spam, so that even when cold, it tastes like bastardized onigiri. I will convince my wife to mold me some genuine islands musubi.

Have you tried it with a hot mug of creamy chocolate in the morning?

...I may need to make a batch of Spam musubi this weekend now; this thread has got me craving some.

Ye-ah, spam about spam is no spam at all :)
Last edited by trackerben on Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:31 am

trackerben wrote:
It can be tricky to find good nori. We also spread Japanese tube mayo and add some vinegar to the rice and regular spam, so that even when cold, it tastes like great bastardized onigiri. I will convince my wife to mold me some genuine islands musubi.

Have you tried it with a hot mug of creamy chocolate in the morning?

No, I have not; I've definitely eaten it for breakfast many times though!

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:37 am

Now I'm having thoughts about creating a startup to produce my own version of Spam but made out of turkey and use a spice blend that would it make taste much better. However there is no way in Hell I would produce anything like Treet :o

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:40 am

whm1974 wrote:
Now I'm having thoughts about creating a startup to produce my own version of Spam but made out of turkey

Hormel already makes a turkey version.

whm1974 wrote:
and use a spice blend that would it make taste much better.

Define "better".

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:46 am

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Now I'm having thoughts about creating a startup to produce my own version of Spam but made out of turkey

Hormel already makes a turkey version.

whm1974 wrote:
and use a spice blend that would it make taste much better.

Define "better".

I'm aware that Hormel makes a turkey version, but I never seen it on for sale locally anywhere. And besides I'm a big fan of Jenny-O's turkey loaves, but I don't like using my oven during the summer and waiting three hours for it to cook.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:52 am

So you're basically looking for a canned, pre-cooked turkey loaf? That would be Turkey Spam. Just season to taste. Pretty sure I've seen it at local supermarkets (Chicago area). Or you can always order it on Amazon.

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:56 am

A spam thread on a geek form this long and no Monty Python references yet?! What's the world coming too?

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:58 am

just brew it! wrote:
So you're basically looking for a canned, pre-cooked turkey loaf? That would be Turkey Spam. Just season to taste. Pretty sure I've seen it at local supermarkets (Chicago area). Or you can always order it on Amazon.

I live in the Granite City area and shop at stores like Food Ruler and Food for Less and such. Maybe I'll check Shop and Save and see what they have.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:59 am

cynan wrote:
A spam thread on a geek form this long and no Monty Python references yet?! What's the world coming too?

Speaking for myself, I only seen a one or two Monty Python skits.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:04 am

cynan wrote:

Nobody's mentioned Weird Al's Spam video either. :wink:

Edit: Not sure if the video is official, or a fan creation.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:11 am

Fried sliced spam with fried egg and a side of home fries...

or maybe some baked beans...

yummy
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:12 am

@whm1974, Does a bear poop in the woods?

And finally a topic I can get on with.

Being Chamorro, we eat a bajillon different ways. Absolutely LOVE IT. (but it bad for you.) My son loves it also!

As Ned pointed out Musubi is my favorite way. Next would be Fried Rice with it. Grilled is absolutely delightful.

Anything you can do with any meat you can do with SPAM.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!