Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Re: Any Spam eaters here(Yes the canned meat product)?

Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:46 pm

As much as I like Spam, I do have some issues with Hormel.

1) Some varieties like the low sodium and the spread, and some flavors use mechanical separated chicken(or pork). Please stop doing that. Stuff like that doesn't belong in a decent quality product.

2) My biggest issue is that the other flavor varieties are not widely available in budget stores and those dollar places. Why not? I would also like them to bring back different flavors of the spread as well, like the onion and chives they had 12 or 13 years ago.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:55 pm

whm1974 wrote:

1) Some varieties like the low sodium and the spread, and some flavors use mechanical separated chicken(or pork). Please stop doing that. Stuff like that doesn't belong in a decent quality product.

Yes, I would prefer that they leave that out as well.

whm1974 wrote:
2) My biggest issue is that the other flavor varieties are not widely available in budget stores and those dollar places. Why not? I would also like them to bring back different flavors of the spread as well, like the onion and chives they had 12 or 13 years ago.

If there was sufficient demand for them to make a profit selling the other flavors more widely they would. They seem to be marketed and sold regionally, where those flavors have sizable followings. The grocery business is very cutthroat when it comes to competition for shelf footage and optimum (eye level) product placement. For niche products that simply aren't particularly popular in most parts of the country, I don't see it happening.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:09 pm

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

If there was sufficient demand for them to make a profit selling the other flavors more widely they would. They seem to be marketed and sold regionally, where those flavors have sizable followings. The grocery business is very cutthroat when it comes to competition for shelf footage and optimum (eye level) product placement. For niche products that simply aren't particularly popular in most parts of the country, I don't see it happening.

Well the other flavors will not sell anyway if they are not available to be purchased by consumers to begin with. Hell I didn't even know about the Spam spread until I walk in the local Big Lots(Now a Ruler Foods store) about 12 to 13 years and brought most of the stock of the Onion and Chives flavors. Man I was pissed off when they wouldn't restock it.

trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:03 am

whm1974 wrote:

1) Some varieties like the low sodium and the spread, and some flavors use mechanical separated chicken(or pork). Please stop doing that. Stuff like that doesn't belong in a decent quality product...

I had no idea that these may contain chicken. Thanks for the FYI.

...2) My biggest issue is that the other flavor varieties are not widely available in budget stores and those dollar places. Why not? I would also like them to bring back different flavors of the spread as well, like the onion and chives they had 12 or 13 years ago.

Try the places where your Chicano and Chinese neighbors go shopping. You might find the Black Pepper, Teriyaki, and Tocino varieties at groceries similar to "99 Ranch", a chain in southern California.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:42 am

trackerben wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

1) Some varieties like the low sodium and the spread, and some flavors use mechanical separated chicken(or pork). Please stop doing that. Stuff like that doesn't belong in a decent quality product...

I had no idea that these may contain chicken. Thanks for the FYI.

...2) My biggest issue is that the other flavor varieties are not widely available in budget stores and those dollar places. Why not? I would also like them to bring back different flavors of the spread as well, like the onion and chives they had 12 or 13 years ago.

Try the places where your Chicano and Chinese neighbors go shopping. You might find the Black Pepper, Teriyaki, and Tocino varieties at groceries similar to "99 Ranch", a chain in southern California.

You are welcome for the information I just gave you. It is amazing what your find your food products if you bother to read the labels. I live in Southern Illinois just about 15 to 30 minutes from St. Louis. Come to think of it, Save A Lot does have a wider variety of Mexican and Asian foods than Ruler Food where I shop. Or at least they did the last time I was shopping there.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue May 29, 2018 5:13 am

· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed May 30, 2018 12:30 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:

"Dear customers,

"We regret to inform you that when we ground up everything else into this product, we may have included the can."
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

christos_thski
Gerbil

Wed May 30, 2018 1:58 pm

I ate simply too much of the stuff, baked in large oven pans, while serving in the army (the draftees called it "godzilla meat" as in "mystery meat")... Got over the aversion to it only recently, many years later... and now I even voluntarily eat it ...sometimes. Mainly when I have to eat at 4 am or something, and all takeout/delivery joints are closed. Usually with omelette. Never cooked though.

Never, ever, cooked.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed May 30, 2018 2:12 pm

christos_thski wrote:
Never, ever, cooked.

Don't want to lose that certain je ne sais quoi, n'est-ce pas?
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed May 30, 2018 4:02 pm

christos_thski wrote:
I ate simply too much of the stuff, baked in large oven pans, while serving in the army (the draftees called it "godzilla meat" as in "mystery meat")... Got over the aversion to it only recently, many years later... and now I even voluntarily eat it ...sometimes. Mainly when I have to eat at 4 am or something, and all takeout/delivery joints are closed. Usually with omelette. Never cooked though.

Never, ever, cooked.

You need yourself a few Pinoy relatives, it's a staple in traditional cooking. The Maillard Reaction has a pleasing effect on what is, after all, a low-quality sausage, and the result matches well with eggs and toast.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed May 30, 2018 4:35 pm

Maybe JBI will bring some SPAM Musubi (in various SPAM flavors) to BBQ.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed May 30, 2018 4:49 pm

I guess that's a hint?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed May 30, 2018 4:59 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I guess that's a hint?

No, just some idle speculation in an attempt to juice the thread. That said, I'd certainly give it a whirl.

toki
Gerbil XP

Wed May 30, 2018 7:52 pm

I used to eat spam as a child. Fried on a biscuit with black-eyed peas on the side. It wasn't bad back then. I don't know what I would think of it now though.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed May 30, 2018 11:27 pm

IMO it has an undeserved bad reputation. Sure, it's unhealthy (high fat, high salt). But so are a lot of other foods that are far more popular, like fast food burgers, hot dogs, ham, and bacon.

Think of Spam as a canned, pork-based, salty meatloaf... maybe that makes it more palatable to you, or maybe not (depending on your prior opinion of it). But that's essentially what it is. As an ingredient, it can work in the right context (e.g. the above mentioned Spam musubi).

trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:47 am

just brew it! wrote:
IMO it has an undeserved bad reputation. Sure, it's unhealthy (high fat, high salt). But so are a lot of other foods that are far more popular, like fast food burgers, hot dogs, ham, and bacon.

Think of Spam as a canned, pork-based, salty meatloaf... maybe that makes it more palatable to you, or maybe not (depending on your prior opinion of it). But that's essentially what it is...

IRRC, that's how some of Spam's rivals are labelled in foreign markets, as canned meatloaf or lunch/luncheon meat.

...As an ingredient, it can work in the right context (e.g. the above mentioned Spam musubi).

Right-o!

SpamDonation
Gerbil In Training

Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:02 am

Hey strangers.

Any spam lovers who happen to live around Boston, MA, or near I93 or I95 in southern NH or Southern Maine?

I have a 12 pack of Spam flavors, a can of Portuguese Seasoning Spam, a Spam slicer and a little can of Spam spread.

FREE to a Spam lover.

They were all part of a joke gift for my father this passed Christmas, but he died a week before Xmas eve.

I thought between friends and coworkers I would be able to find SOMEONE who likes it but can’t.

So I googled spam lovers forum, and this thread came up.

Admin, please allow me to see this through.

I don’t want to sell the stuff on amazon, too late to return, and I think it would be really inappropriate to donate to a food bank.

Any takers???

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:35 am

Not local, would pay for shipping though. :)

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:46 am

BTw I like it, you can fry it up all kinds of stuff.

Quick fact the British version of Spam is called "corned beef", rather different than the corned beef you can by here in the midwest which more like a lunch meat.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:45 pm

Did you know that they have Bacon version? I haven't tried it, but I shouldn't have gotten it the last time I brought Spam at Walmart.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:07 pm

Aranarth wrote:
BTw I like it, you can fry it up all kinds of stuff.

Quick fact the British version of Spam is called "corned beef", rather different than the corned beef you can by here in the midwest which more like a lunch meat.

Well, I know you can get "corned beef" in a can... the stuff I've had doesn't taste much like Spam though, and the texture is different (more crumbly).

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:17 pm

Ah, Hormel canned corned beef hash. Lovely hangover remedy.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:35 pm

No, not the hash. The straight corned beef. Upper right pic on this page: https://www.libbysmeats.com/

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:48 pm

"Corned" beef is salt cured. It's almost always way too salty for me.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:52 pm

Yes, it is very salty. Best consumed as an ingredient in something else, not by itself.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:57 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Ah, Hormel canned corned beef hash. Lovely hangover remedy.

Tastes like my childhood. Used to have that and canned biscuits with homemade gravy on Saturday mornings for breakfast as a kid.

I was stout as a kid, yes.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:26 am

While you're eating unhealthy food you might as well go all out and lay a fried egg on top too. Yum!

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:08 am

just brew it! wrote:
No, not the hash. The straight corned beef. Upper right pic on this page: https://www.libbysmeats.com/

Does Libby taste any better then Hormel's brand of Canned Corn Beef and Corn Beef Hash? I don't mind eating the hash, but the canned corn beef doesn't taste right at all... The texture is all wrong compared to Spam. Not that Spam tastes all that great, but... Well I suppose canned corn beef is better then Treet, by half again...

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:07 am

whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Does Libby taste any better then Hormel's brand of Canned Corn Beef and Corn Beef Hash? I don't mind eating the hash, but the canned corn beef doesn't taste right at all... The texture is all wrong compared to Spam. Not that Spam tastes all that great, but... Well I suppose canned corn beef is better then Treet, by half again...

I've never done a side-by-side, but I don't imagine the Libby's is any better. They're all basically the same "might have been actual meat in a former life" substance.

And LOL at the phrase "texture is all wrong compared to Spam". :grin:

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:52 am

Well I fried some canned corn beef hash in a pan with a small onion, a pat of butter, some seasoning and Tabasco sauce, and a can of mushrooms. Much better then microwaving this stuff.