Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

toki
Gerbil XP

Re: Any Spam eaters here(Yes the canned meat product)?

Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:07 am

I used to eat spam when I was a child. Put it in a biscuit and eat it with a side of black eyed peas and it is pretty good.

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:09 am

bfg-9000 wrote:
Current MRE bags are rated 3 years but certain items like applesauce and cheese can already turn nasty colors like black within that time. If you can keep them cool in storage I'd still not eat anything wet after ~5 years (the dry crackers would last about forever).

I can vouch for the shelf-life of MRE's which is typically 5 years when stored properly. I worked in Prev Med in the USAF and the Public Health team in my squadron did routine inspections on the local base supplies. They would pull random samples and needed volunteers to help taste-test and check quality. If there were no issues then supplies could be extended 2 more years or so.
I enjoyed just about any beef or chicken MRE meal. The MRE stews tasted great in my opinion but the pork in MRE's just did not seem to come out well. Probably because I grew up eating good BBQ in the south. Also I avoided anything with egg or cheese in an MRE because it just looked odd like yellow polymer. Loved the MRE lemon pound cakes!
One tip I always remember from one of my Public Health Officer friends regarding food safety during deployments was freshly baked goods or fruits with peels are the safest to eat in an unfamiliar environment.

If interested, MRE recipes:
http://www.ibov.org/2015/the-unofficial ... e-booklet/

http://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/ ... -delicious
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:18 pm

Is Spam becoming more upscale in the US now? When I was going up in the 80's the only folks who brought the stuff who were not poor were either campers or the survivalist types who were always "prepared" for the end of the world who seemed to buy it by the case...

Gasaraki
Gerbil In Training

Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:46 pm

I love SPAM. Try cutting them in to slices and grilling them and make SPAM burgers. SO freakin good.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:20 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Is Spam becoming more upscale in the US now? When I was going up in the 80's the only folks who brought the stuff who were not poor were either campers or the survivalist types who were always "prepared" for the end of the world who seemed to buy it by the case...

I think people are less concerned about foods that have a lot of saturated fat and salt in them because trans fats and refined sugar are the new dietary villains. It may also be riding on the coattails of the bacon craze to some extent (i.e., people are less likely to be offended by highly processed pork products).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

bfg-9000
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:14 pm

Both Spam and whole chicken in a can were foods developed during the Great Depression so they were indeed intended for poor people without refrigeration undergoing hardships. Not even a stove is required as you can heat the can itself right in a campfire.
This English fellow who may have served in Korea or Kenya ate a canned chicken he kept for 50 years and lived (I wonder if it was on their wedding registry).
derFunkenstein wrote:
That jellied whole chicken is thoroughly disturbing.

In order to get the full effect it has to be seen in motion. Warning: cannot be unseen
Image Image

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:14 pm

bfg-9000 wrote:
Warning: cannot be unseen

Especially that last one! :o

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:15 pm

From seeing the last picture with girl don't think I will ever eat the stuff. It really does look gross. I think I will go and vomit.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:20 pm

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

I think people are less concerned about foods that have a lot of saturated fat and salt in them because trans fats and refined sugar are the new dietary villains. It may also be riding on the coattails of the bacon craze to some extent (i.e., people are less likely to be offended by highly processed pork products).

Yeah I do really have to watch what I eat due to both having diabetes and high blood pressure as well. I can eat what I want however as long as I do it sparely.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:45 pm

tanker27 wrote:
@whm1974, Does a bear poop in the woods?

And finally a topic I can get on with.

Being Chamorro, we eat a bajillon different ways. Absolutely LOVE IT. (but it bad for you.) My son loves it also!

As Ned pointed out Musubi is my favorite way. Next would be Fried Rice with it. Grilled is absolutely delightful.

Anything you can do with any meat you can do with SPAM.
Yep. Not Chamorro, but Spam is something that you'll always find in the pantry at our house. Usually as a breakfast food with eggs or pancakes, but I often fry it up for lunch sandwiches. On occasion, I will eat it cold with hot sauce, but that's rare.

I had the opportunity to eat a Spam burger made at the Hormel Spam exhibit at the Minnesota State Fair some years ago, and purchase some Garlic and Tabasco Spam. I prefer the original. The "Lite" or "Reduced Sodium" Spam is sub-par, containing mechanically separated chicken, which is gross. I recently bought a can of Turkey Spam, or as I like to call it, Spurkey. Gonna try that this weekend. :)

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:03 pm

...and in an amusing coincidence, just as I was reading the latest post on this thread, the aroma of frying Spam came wafting down from the kitchen, so I went to investigate. My daughter apparently decided it was time to fix herself a Spam quesadilla! :lol:

bfg-9000
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:53 pm

The girl delivering the chicken is Shakira. Seems like it wouldn't have been out of place in Joss.Whedon's cancelled Alien 5 huh?

I too prefer the original flavor Spam best. If you want 100% ham, DAK Premium Ham in the funny shaped can is also surprisingly good. It's really amazing how much sodium nitrite has been removed from industrial foods and yet ham and bacon continue to smell and taste like they should. But you still shouldn't char them to avoid generating (free radical) nitrosamines. In fact you probably shouldn't char meat in general to reduce polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, or over-brown potatoes to minimize production of acrylamide.

A couple of 1/4" slices of Spam (or bacon or sausage) should be fine, even every day unless you are particularly sensitive to salt (not many people are).

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:59 pm

I doubt I would eat any more than a can or two a week if even that anyway. As far as meat spreads goes, I will avoid any potted meat product made by Amour. Now the Spam spread Onion and Chives flavor I brought around 2004 which I bought at Big Lots when I started going bike riding a lot, was pretty good. Can't seem to find it anywhere however. Does Hormel only produces the plain stuff now?

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:28 am

whm1974 wrote:
As far as meat spreads goes, I will avoid any potted meat product made by Amour.

FTFY.

Stuff is as nasty as the name makes it sound.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:52 am

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
As far as meat spreads goes, I will avoid any potted meat product made by Amour.

FTFY.

Well the stuff made by Underwood is really good. But that is a premium product to begin with. I could eat the Armour stuff with on crackers with lots of hot sauce or soy.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:05 am

just brew it! wrote:
bfg-9000 wrote:
Warning: cannot be unseen

Especially that last one! :o

Between this thread and Heiwashin in DYMT, I am doing great on my diet. :oops:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:50 am

whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

FTFY.

Well the stuff made by Underwood is really good. But that is a premium product to begin with.

I thought I remembered it being OK from when I was a kid, bought a can a few years back, and regretted it. The aroma was not unlike a restaurant dumpster on a warm summer day. Maybe I got a bad can, but man... YECHHH!

whm1974 wrote:
I could eat the Armour stuff with on crackers with lots of hot sauce or soy.

Sounds like a way to ruin some perfectly good hot sauce to me; I wouldn't feed that stuff to my dog!

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:31 am

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
FTFY.

Well the stuff made by Underwood is really good. But that is a premium product to begin with.

I thought I remembered it being OK from when I was a kid, bought a can a few years back, and regretted it. The aroma was not unlike a restaurant dumpster on a warm summer day. Maybe I got a bad can, but man... YECHHH!

whm1974 wrote:
I could eat the Armour stuff with on crackers with lots of hot sauce or soy.

Sounds like a way to ruin some perfectly good hot sauce to me; I wouldn't feed that stuff to my dog!

Yeah I wouldn't feed that stuff to my dog either if I had one. In fact I wouldn't eat at all myself unless I was in pretty dire straits, such being homeless with with not much money. Come to think of it, the homeless are probably Armour's biggest costumers of potted meat products.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:40 am

whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

Yeah I wouldn't feed that stuff to my dog either if I had one. In fact I wouldn't eat at all myself unless I was in pretty dire straits, such being homeless with with not much money. Come to think of it, the homeless are probably Armour's biggest costumers of potted meat products.

So you'd be the homeless guy carrying around the bottle of Sriracha? :lol: I'm pretty sure you could find something more palatable by literally dumpster-diving.

It's not even particularly cheap, considering how tiny the cans are. Probably because it's become a "niche" product these days (I sure don't know anyone who eats it). If you're on a tight budget, a can of generic chili probably costs about the same, tastes better, is way more nutritious (relatively speaking), and will fill you up without the need for crackers to spread it on (which also need to be factored into the cost).

What's with the potted meat product fixation, anyway? I can see how we got here from Spam, but for some reason you seem to be quite determined to figure out a scenario where you'd be willing to eat the stuff. Give it up. There aren't any where it makes sense, unless you're homeless and starving and someone gives you a can of the stuff for free. Maybe not even then.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:00 am

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

So you'd be the homeless guy carrying around the bottle of Sriracha? :lol: I'm pretty sure you could find something more palatable by literally dumpster-diving.

It's not even particularly cheap, considering how tiny the cans are. Probably because it's become a "niche" product these days (I sure don't know anyone who eats it). If you're on a tight budget, a can of generic chili probably costs about the same, tastes better, is way more nutritious (relatively speaking), and will fill you up without the need for crackers to spread it on (which also need to be factored into the cost).

What's with the potted meat product fixation, anyway? I can see how we got here from Spam, but for some reason you seem to be quite determined to figure out a scenario where you'd be willing to eat the stuff. Give it up. There aren't any where it makes sense, unless you're homeless and starving and someone gives you a can of the stuff for free. Maybe not even then.

Come to think of it, you are right. I wouldn't eat the stuff even if I was homeless. The Underwood stuff I would eat, but like I said that is real meat anyway not ground up animal byproducts.

The Swamp
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:43 am

I keep some in the house and eat it from time to time. I agree with pps, it has a strong flavor and it's very salty. I don't know how much sodium a can has, but I suspect it's the daily allowance for a week.

I like the individual foil packs they sell. Those are handy when you want to just put it on some bread and you don't want to have to tackle a whole can. Last August, when we got 31 inches of rain in 3 days and the entire region flooded, I lost electricity for several days. I actually lived on Spam and canned tea. My part of the neighborhood stayed dry, but we were an island. No power meant no ability to cook anything. I can see why campers like the stuff. It's perfect for camping conditions.
I wish I had gone to med school.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:51 pm

The Swamp wrote:
I keep some in the house and eat it from time to time. I agree with pps, it has a strong flavor and it's very salty. I don't know how much sodium a can has, but I suspect it's the daily allowance for a week.

I like the individual foil packs they sell. Those are handy when you want to just put it on some bread and you don't want to have to tackle a whole can. Last August, when we got 31 inches of rain in 3 days and the entire region flooded, I lost electricity for several days. I actually lived on Spam and canned tea. My part of the neighborhood stayed dry, but we were an island. No power meant no ability to cook anything. I can see why campers like the stuff. It's perfect for camping conditions.

Does this sort of thing happen often where you live? I can see why survivalist minded folks and those who live in rural areas stockpile the stuff.

Acidicheartburn
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:09 pm

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

FTFY.

They aren't as terrible as you might think if prepared the proper, original way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdKzWQOVET4

That being said, I'm not about to go trusting this method of preserving for too terribly long. If I made this I'd consider the shelf life about as normal as any other home cooked meal when stored properly.

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:12 pm

whm1974 wrote:
The Swamp wrote:

Does this sort of thing happen often where you live? I can see why survivalist minded folks and those who live in rural areas stockpile the stuff.

Seasonal tropical storms and the occasional hurricanes from the Gulf of Mexico cause a lot of flooding and widespread power outages. Not just LA but any state on the Gulf emphasizes hurricane prep with backup water and food. Spam would be on my list. I was almost flooded out last Spring in the Bossier-Shreveport, LA area when I was stationed at the military base there. I was just one week from military retirement and getting ready to move. Water was rising around the house I was renting from an overflowing bayou behind me. I lucked out but neighbor next to me had a creek flowing through their home. I was really glad to be moving away from there.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:13 pm

The Swamp wrote:

Our stove is gas, so unless the electricity and gas go out, we can still cook. I've also generally got at least a partial bag of charcoal and a partially full can of Coleman fuel, so we could use the grill or the campstove in a pinch. Haven't needed to resort to those types of measures since we moved here though.

Previous house was in an area with frequent outages, but most of the outages were short (less than a couple of hours). There were a few longer ones though...

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:38 pm

Acidicheartburn wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

FTFY.

They aren't as terrible as you might think if prepared the proper, original way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdKzWQOVET4

That being said, I'm not about to go trusting this method of preserving for too terribly long. If I made this I'd consider the shelf life about as normal as any other home cooked meal when stored properly.

About two months. I think meat pies made the old ways keeps even longer depending on thick the crust is.

bfg-9000
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:08 pm

just brew it! wrote:

But canned dog food, potted meat in a can, vienna sausages and hot dogs are all exactly the same thing--just the ground up leftover trimmings like lips and snouts and cartilage mixed with fat. The dog food is probably the most nutritionally balanced one with the least fat because it's intended to be an exclusive food source, but that doesn't mean the others will hurt your dog. The first canned dog food was Ken-L Ration in 1922, and they were slaughtering 50,000 horses a year by the 1930s just for that brand.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the emergency hotsauce dispensing 007 watch I provided a link to earlier in this thread in #72. The hero attempts to use it right before he's poisoned by the mayonnaise sandwich in the next video "Black Man's Kryptonite" but is foiled by Denise Richards' character.
Acidicheartburn wrote:
I'm not about to go trusting this method of preserving for too terribly long.

Yes I think I'd rather trust a method using continuous heat like Perpetual Stew. Although Guyanese Pepperpot uses the killing power of hydrogen cyanide to keep organisms from growing.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:14 pm

bfg-9000 wrote:
But canned dog food, potted meat in a can, vienna sausages and hot dogs are all exactly the same thing--just the ground up leftover trimmings like lips and snouts and cartilage mixed with fat. The dog food is probably the most nutritionally balanced one with the least fat because it's intended to be an exclusive food source, but that doesn't mean the others will hurt your dog.

Can't imagine that much salt is good for dogs. Dog food is generally pretty low sodium.

bfg-9000 wrote:
Yes I think I'd rather trust a method using continuous heat like Perpetual Stew.

We used to do that when I was a kid, as a way to use leftovers. Inevitably something would eventually get added that made it so unappetizing that nobody was willing to eat it and it had to be dumped. I imagine it saved us some money over the long haul though. I actually wouldn't mind giving it a shot again, but my wife is so repulsed by the idea that I don't think it is going to happen. :lol:

bfg-9000 wrote:
Although Guyanese Pepperpot uses the killing power of hydrogen cyanide to keep organisms from growing.

:o

bfg-9000
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:28 pm

The tapioca root extract generates hydrogen cyanide when added to water. Heating it up right before eating will drive off the gas (should be done in a well ventilated area).

The Swamp
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:51 pm

whm1974 wrote:
The Swamp wrote:

It rains a lot here, but that particular weather pattern was very unusual. It has been classified as a 1,000 year flood. There were homes that hadn't flooded since 1983 that had six feet of water in them. It took three days before the water receded low enough that I could leave.
I wish I had gone to med school.