Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Re: Mushroom ketchup and spices.

Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:40 pm

just brew it! wrote:
It's posts like that that make me wonder if you're a bot.

I assure you that I'm not. And I doubt a bot could create a thread on old fashion mushroom ketchup anyway.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:50 pm

if (post_contains("you're a bot")) {
    reply("I assure you that I'm not.");
}
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:54 pm

I will probely need to started a new thread on this but could a bot exspress a desire for trying Native American raw Pemmican?

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:55 pm

This is exactly the kind of bizarre and random stuff that I'd expect from a bot.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:59 pm

Redocbew wrote:
This is exactly the kind of bizarre and random stuff that I'd expect from a bot.

So how do I convince you guys that I'm a real person and not a bot?

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:10 pm

Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:17 pm

There's a restaurant chain in Washington & Oregon called McMenamins (IIRC) that serves up the best Ketchup I've ever tasted. It's basically homemade. Strange to recommend a restaurant for their ketchup, but...
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:20 pm

DPete27 wrote:
There's a restaurant chain in Washington & Oregon called McMenamins (IIRC) that serves up the best Ketchup I've ever tasted. It's basically homemade. Strange to recommend a restaurant for their ketchup, but...

While I like fresh tomatoes, I don't like tomato based ketchup or sauces, or least not the cheap stuff anyway. However if a nice restaurant makes their own...

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:22 pm

I can almost guarantee you've never tasted (tomato based) ketchup like this. I certainly hadn't
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:55 am

I haven't eaten ketchup in like 5 years since I gave up sugar; but when I used to eat it on everything, I would always make my own. 1 large can of tomato sauce, dash of onion salt and garlic powder, and a bottle of sweet Thai chili sauce, stir in a skillet over medium heat for SEVERAL hours. Labor of love but it sure tastes delicious.
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:58 am

Wife makes ketchup, BBQ sauce, spice dry rub, strawberry jam, butter pickle, zucchini relish,

Mum makes currant freezer jam, and marmalade along with some other British faves.

M-I-L makes crab apple jelly and other canning such as burrito sauce, salsa, jalpeno, and veggies.

Most of this stuff is not hard at all it just takes a long time.

We also raise rabbits (for cute and cuddly and for meat), chickens (for meat) and hens for eggs.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:02 am

If I make my own ketchup it's gonna have chipotle peppers in it!

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:14 am

This thread has reminded me that I need to make myself another bottle of home-made Caribbean red habanero sriracha sauce. Though memo to self, strain out the seeds next time as seeds stuck in bottle nipple tends to create undesired levels of built up pressure resulting in molten explosions of condiment fury all over one's lunch.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:29 am

just brew it! wrote:
If I make my own ketchup it's gonna have chipotle peppers in it!

no magic mushrooms? :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:46 am

Anovoca wrote:
molten explosions of condiment fury all over one's lunch

I found this phrase highly amusing for some reason. :lol:

Anovoca
Gerbil XP

Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:39 am

just brew it! wrote:
Anovoca wrote:
molten explosions of condiment fury all over one's lunch

I found this phrase highly amusing for some reason. :lol:

yeah I was pretty proud of that one :lol:

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:05 pm

How hard is to start a campaign promoting mushroom ketchup as putting advertising everywhere that real ketchup doesn't use tomatoes but mushrooms? When you ask for ketchup, demand the real stuff made from mushrooms, not fruit.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:19 pm

whm1974 wrote:
How hard is to start a campaign promoting mushroom ketchup as putting advertising everywhere that real ketchup doesn't use tomatoes but mushrooms? When you ask for ketchup, demand the real stuff made from mushrooms, not fruit.

Do you ever encounter people on the street who from far away appear to be semi-normal, but, the closer you get to them the louder they must angrily express the myriad voices rambling inside their heads? Do you, like most others, just scurry past them and mutter under your breath about the lack of involuntary mental health treatment?

I hope you're prepared to be treated just like the ramblers.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:23 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

Do you ever encounter people on the street who from far away appear to be semi-normal, but, the closer you get to them the louder they must angrily express the myriad voices rambling inside their heads? Do you, like most others, just scurry past them and mutter under your breath about the lack of involuntary mental health treatment?

I hope you're prepared to be treated just like the ramblers.

And people who discover wonderful things get laughed at and scorned at first.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:45 pm

whm1974 wrote:

Well... if you want to trace it all the way back to its origins, it was really made from fish.

You're also not going to get the public to switch to mushroom ketchup with an ad campaign, since what 99% of people want when they want ketchup is something that tastes more or less like the ketchup they're accustomed to. They don't give a rat's behind that something else used to be called "ketchup", and don't want "historically accurate" ketchup (whether made from mushrooms, fish, or something else).

The foodies who see the ad might go "hey, that's interesting" (if they don't know about it already); maybe a few of them will seek it out to give it a try. Maybe a few of those people will even buy it again.

Everyone else is going to look at your ad and say, "Who the f*ck are they trying to kid, that's not ketchup, that's mushroom juice... and why would I buy mushroom juice that costs like 5x what ketchup costs, when I really want ketchup anyway?"

So I have no idea what you're trying to accomplish with this imaginary multi-million dollar ad blitz, other than waste truckloads of money. If you were really serious about promoting the stuff without pouring millions of dollars down a sinkhole, what you'd probably want to do is advertise specifically on sites/blogs that cater to foodies, or open a restaurant that specializes in historical foods and use the stuff in-house.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:46 pm

whm1974 wrote:

It's already been discovered, otherwise you wouldn't be reading web sites about how it was made 100 years ago! If it was that wonderful more people would still be using it... if not on a commercial scale, at least it wouldn't be quite so obscure.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:53 pm

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

It's already been discovered, otherwise you wouldn't be reading web sites about how it was made 100 years ago! If it was that wonderful more people would still be using it.

Maybe I'm am a food snob, but I don't care for tomato ketchup, mayo, Bologne, McDonald, and the like. Oh well it looks like that if I want want real ketchup I will have to make it myself or buy the British import.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:02 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Maybe I'm am a food snob, but I don't care for tomato ketchup, mayo, Bologne, McDonald, and the like.

A "food snob" who shops at Food Ruler and Food for Less? I thought all the food snobs shopped at Whole Foods! :wink:

whm1974 wrote:
Oh well it looks like that if I want want real ketchup I will have to make it myself or buy the British import.

I have no frikkin' idea how we got from "let's launch an ad blitz to promote mushroom ketchup" to this in a half dozen posts. Your thought processes are baffling (and would probably make an interesting case study).

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:08 pm

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Maybe I'm am a food snob, but I don't care for tomato ketchup, mayo, Bologne, McDonald, and the like.

A "food snob" who shops at Food Ruler and Food for Less? I thought all the food snobs shopped at Whole Foods! :wink:

whm1974 wrote:
Oh well it looks like that if I want want real ketchup I will have to make it myself or buy the British import.

I have no frikkin' idea how we got from "let's launch an ad blitz to promote mushroom ketchup" to this in a half dozen posts. Your thought processes are baffling (and would probably make an interesting case study).

OK I'm a poor food snob. And TBH I'm thinking of switching over to Food for Less since they have more variety of stuff.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:11 pm

WHM:

Here you go. It's the closest thing to old Roman garum.

https://www.amazon.com/IASA-Anchovy-Syr ... 6WGIK?th=1

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:14 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
WHM:

Here you go. It's the closest thing to old Roman garum.

https://www.amazon.com/IASA-Anchovy-Syr ... 6WGIK?th=1

Can you use by itself? Or do you have to mix it with other stuff?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:19 pm

whm1974 wrote:

Never tasted it, so no clue. Since the bottles are but 100ml, I'm guessing it packs a punch.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:28 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

Never tasted it, so no clue. Since the bottles are but 100ml, I'm guessing it packs a punch.

From reading the description this sounds like it is meant to be mixed with other sauces, but maybe I just reading too much into it.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:42 pm

whm1974 wrote:
From reading the description this sounds like it is meant to be mixed with other sauces, but maybe I just reading too much into it.

Well, this looks bloody delicious, though it requires high-quality fresh pasta and the kind of olive oil you only bring out for true family (hint: not Filippo Berio Costco jugs).

http://www.foodandwinegazette.com/?p=4585

For good olive oil (a/k/a not fake EVOO like all of the big jugs in US stores):

http://www.olio2go.com/

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:53 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

Well, this looks bloody delicious, though it requires high-quality fresh pasta and the kind of olive oil you only bring out for true family (hint: not Filippo Berio Costco jugs).

http://www.foodandwinegazette.com/?p=4585

That does sound delicious. A lot of Americans become really surprised and shocked when they find out that good cooks do use fermented anchovies in recipes like chilli and spaghetti, and even hamburgers and how really delicious they are.