Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Air filtered through water

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:31 am

Recently a sales type approached me and asked if I'd like a "free" home air filter. It sounds like it's supposed to filter air through water and thus capture airborne allergens. I've never heard of such a thing and it smells fishy (plus I'd imagine you'd drive up humidity), so I declined.

Anyone know more about this?
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Air filtered through water

Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:44 pm

Ridiculous.

I put one of these on my furnace
https://forwardthinking.honeywell.com/r ... 200_SS.pdf
with a merv 12 fillter
https://www.amazon.ca/Honeywell-CF412B1 ... B005UTVN6G

PC case is going on 3 years without a cleaning and still no where worth cleaning. Furnace filters however, 6 months max and they need changing.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:47 pm

So it's a hookah for your furnace? I assume it using running water or flushes itself frequently (otherwise you have stagnant water sitting around filling up with whatever is coming out of the air) so that adds to your water bill, and there's a pump and other complexity. Seems like the kind of thing that could fail a lot, especially if it is new tech.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:58 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legionnaires%27_disease
That'd be a good reason to have a steady makeup of chlorinated water.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:23 pm

bthylafh wrote:
Recently a sales type approached me and asked if I'd like a "free" home air filter. It sounds like it's supposed to filter air through water and thus capture airborne allergens. I've never heard of such a thing and it smells fishy (plus I'd imagine you'd drive up humidity), so I declined.

Nothing is free. The one time I accepted a "free" water quality test by a third-party rep at the Home Depot, it went like this:

1. Sales rep arrives in the early evening, it's a young guy with high-pressure pitch for whole-house water filtration. Ok, whatever, quid pro quo. But...
2. ...my wife was exhausted due to being pregnant and having worked that day, so I send her off to bed, and then...
3. ....the sales rep jumps in saying that it's "company policy" that both members of the household need to be present for the presentation due to the "big decision" we have to make.
4. I run him out of our house.
5. Three days later, I get a phone follow-up from another company rep, wondering when they can reschedule. I politely but firmly explain their company will never be welcome in our house again, and why.

If you want water-filtered air entering your house, an evaporative cooler is almost certainly more reliable than whatever this company is selling.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:51 pm

I vaguely remember hearing from one of those high-pressure timeshare sorts that they want the local female present because she's normally easier to sell to and will then apply domestic pressure on the dude to go along with it. He was explaining why their 'free' vacation packages and such tend to stipulate that unmarried guys need not apply. I would expect the same sort of thing was going on there.

EndlessWaves
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:18 pm

A free sodastream sounds like a great offer, I'd take him up on it.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:54 am

Yeah, what they said.

It's inevitably going to drive up humidity, which could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on climate and season.

Depending on the design, it may risk growing mold and other allergens/pathogens.

Sounds iffy from an effectiveness standpoint to me. A traditional HEPA filter would probably be just as effective, without the other potential drawbacks.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:14 am

just brew it! wrote:
A traditional HEPA filter would probably be just as effective, without the other potential drawbacks.

But that's nowhere near as gimmicky and awesome. I mean, cleaning air with water?! It makes so much sense!
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:27 am

Because air flows through the air conditioner's evaporator after passing through the filter, humidity shouldn't be much of a problem other than right around the filter. If your evaporator operates at 34 to 50 °F, that will set the dewpoint of the air that flows from the evaporator to the distribution system.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:10 pm

OP, sounds like you're referring to one of these things http://rainbowsystem.com/accessories/rainmate/

My local mechanic shop is using one... some local person had relabeled it and was marketing it as an air purifier. Said person was selling the device, additives for it, and even regular service since the water needs to be changed regularly judging by the materials left next to it.

I was also wondering about stuff growing in the water being added back into the air, so I'm dubious of the purification claims. But even the manufacturer page doesn't claim it purifies air, they only advertise it for spreading fragrance into the room. I can attest it does that rather well, if anything the lady that came in to dump and replace the water was adding too much fragrance.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:19 pm

ludi wrote:
............evaporative cooler........

lets not confuse what this is with big words: It's a Swamp Cooler!

8)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:43 pm

tanker27 wrote:
ludi wrote:
............evaporative cooler........

lets not confuse what this is with big words: It's a Swamp Cooler!

8)

Had one of those once in high school. They cool... but really pump up the humidity and make things rust. And have to be serviced with almost monthly small maintenance climbs to the roof. I forgot how long the water mats were rated for, depends on the material.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:42 pm

Kougar wrote:
Had one of those once in high school. They cool... but really pump up the humidity and make things rust. And have to be serviced with almost monthly small maintenance climbs to the roof. I forgot how long the water mats were rated for, depends on the material.

Effectiveness also depends on the climate. In Colorado they work pretty well provided you keep the windows open for sustained airflow, because when the outdoor temperature is over 85F, the ambient humidity is usually well under 50% except for some rare weather patterns. Cheap to run for the volume of air moved, too.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:05 am

NovusBogus wrote:
I vaguely remember hearing from one of those high-pressure timeshare sorts that they want the local female present because she's normally easier to sell to and will then apply domestic pressure on the dude to go along with it. He was explaining why their 'free' vacation packages and such tend to stipulate that unmarried guys need not apply. I would expect the same sort of thing was going on there.

I thought it was illegal to discriminate based on martial status? Of course I neither will buy timeshares or take "free" vacation packages...

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:48 am

whm1974 wrote:
NovusBogus wrote:

I thought it was illegal to discriminate based on martial status? Of course I neither will buy timeshares or take "free" vacation packages...

When buying a house, yes. But, a timeshare isn't buying a house.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:16 am

titan wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
NovusBogus wrote:

When buying a house, yes. But, a timeshare isn't buying a house.

You can market stuff to whoever you want. Furthermore, I'm sure if a single guy walked into their offices and said "I want to buy one of your timeshares", they'd sell him one.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:27 pm

Ever see the commission structure of selling a timeshare? It can go from the okay base 6% to the Obnoxious to 46% after accelerators are added to your commission structures. An oh BTW they are almost certainly pyramid schemes, think Mary-Kay, Avon, or the like.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!