Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Ready Player One Trailer is out

Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:41 pm

This came out July 22; I don't see a thread on this already.
Ready Player One trailer
The trailer park stacks are as I imagined them. I sure hope Spielberg does a good job on this. Its a great read.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: Ready Player One Trailer is out

Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:51 pm

And the world in 2045 is at the brink of chaos due everybody wasting time in "fake" reality instead of working to their very real one better. :roll: Not to sound like someone who goes around proclaiming the younger generations will cause the world to collapse, but I fear this may happen.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:56 pm

whm1974 wrote:
And the world in 2045 is at the brink of chaos due everybody wasting time in "fake" reality instead of working to their very real one better. :roll: Not to sound like someone who goes around proclaiming the younger generations will cause the world to collapse, but I fear this may happen.
Are you certain that it isn't already underway?
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:12 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Are you certain that it isn't already underway?

Unfortunately you may be correct, but I fear "fake" reality will make things much worse...

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:18 am

I watched the Trailer and was disappointed. I know there are a lot of people that didn't like the book and I understand. Much of the love of the book shines through the nostalgia aspect of it. Everything from old school D&D to Joust and on and on. Those of us that grew up in the 70s and 80s are probably more in tune with the story than those that grew up later.

I read an article that said they only licensed a handful of things to be shown in the movie. (I understand if they licensed everything mention in the book it would have probably broken the bank, but still.....)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:54 am

tanker27 wrote:
(I understand if they licensed everything mention in the book it would have probably broken the bank, but still.....)

^This

I've read the book and though it was good, but not great. One of the best parts was the sheer volume of references it made to, well, everything from the time. It it is completely jam packed with nostalgia. If the movie doesn't pony up to do the same thing (like, say, The Lego Movie does with it's characters/licensing) then I just don't think the story is strong enough to stand alone.

On the other hand, part of the reason I was annoyed by the book is because sometimes it read more like a list of of things the author wanted us to know he knew about to make sure we'd think he was 'cool' than it did an actual book. It seemed like that was frequently the priority more than anything else, so maybe some editing for the sake of a movie will do the rest of the story some good.

turtlepwr281
Gerbil

Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:29 am

whm1974 wrote:
Not to sound like someone who goes around proclaiming the younger generations will cause the world to collapse, but I fear this may happen.

Yeah. Those stupid kids. Our heroin like oil dependency and resulting climate change, the constant state of war since 1941, our crumbling cities, comical levels of national debt and everything else that's going wrong is totally their fault. They should stop eating avocado toast, start buying houses and cars and fix this mess.

::facepalm::
Ryzen 2400g | 2 x 8GB DDR4-3000 | Linux Mint | Mayflower O2/ODAC | Sennheiser HD598

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:55 am

drfish wrote:
If the movie doesn't pony up to do the same thing (like, say, The Lego Movie does with it's characters/licensing) then I just don't think the story is strong enough to stand alone.

I'm glad you brought this up.

Personally, I feel the story was strong enough even if you strip out all the late 70s, 80s, and early 90s references. I guess what I envisioned in my mind was a VR like All the MMORPGs out there more specifically World of Warcraft with some futuristic locals like what could be found in SWToR or even Blade Runner, Fifth Element, or Stargate.

Anyways back to your comment, the article specifically referenced the licensing seen in the Lego movies, it states that RPO probably has less than a 3rd of what the Lego movies have. Which to me is abysmally small.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:06 am

The story has elements that I'd like to see that may not require much licensing. For example, I'm very interested in how he goes to school and how the virtual reality itself is laid out and interconnected as he and his friends go about solving the puzzle. whm1974, you should read the book before making judgements about fake reality. Its a blessing that book authors can write about whatever they like without having to pay licensing royalties.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:49 am

This is a good a place as any to mention that I vastly preferred The Atopia Chronicles to RPO. I've suggested it to a number of people but so far no one that I know has read it, so I've never had the opportunity to discuss it.

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:59 pm

drfish wrote:
This is a good a place as any to mention that I vastly preferred The Atopia Chronicles to RPO. I've suggested it to a number of people but so far no one that I know has read it, so I've never had the opportunity to discuss it.
I'll read it and get back to you. Always happy to find a new source of books to read. Have you read Omnitopia Dawn by Diane Duane?

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:20 pm

I thought the book was average at best. Why on earth would anyone stack trailers in Oklahoma? Have you SEEN Oklahoma? No shortage of space.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:34 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Have you SEEN Oklahoma?

They probably haven't, no.

Maybe once or twice peeking through clouds.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:44 pm

Mr Bill wrote:
I'll read it and get back to you. Always happy to find a new source of books to read. Have you read Omnitopia Dawn by Diane Duane?

Sweet. I have not, but it's on my Kindle as of a few minutes ago. :)

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:57 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
I thought the book was average at best. Why on earth would anyone stack trailers in Oklahoma? Have you SEEN Oklahoma? No shortage of space.

Also, tornadoes.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:31 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:

No one involved in a Hollywood production has ever been there, I'd bet.

druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:16 pm

I'll have to go and re-read the book, but I remember there being a reason for it.. probably cost related..

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:35 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Why on earth would anyone stack trailers in Oklahoma? Have you SEEN Oklahoma? No shortage of space.

" global warming has left coastal areas uninhabitable, so people have crowded into the middle of the country. "

That's why.

Also to point out that they changed the location of the Stacks from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma in the book to Columbus, Ohio in the movie.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:44 am

druidcent wrote:
I'll have to go and re-read the book, but I remember there being a reason for it.. probably cost related..

With fuel/energy being scarce/expensive, the "stacks" allow the largest amount of cheap housing possible to be close to viable city centers. Infrastructure is essentially completely broken for normal people, so no one can afford to live in "suburbs" anymore.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:51 am

The Stacks are the suburbs of OKC in the book.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:31 am

drfish wrote:

With fuel/energy being scarce/expensive, the "stacks" allow the largest amount of cheap housing possible to be close to viable city centers. Infrastructure is essentially completely broken for normal people, so no one can afford to live in "suburbs" anymore.

Um...why is that the largest amount of cheap housing? Ever heard of a housing project? The guy just wanted a striking visual in his silly book, so he made up something not used anywhere in the world.

And as above mentioned, he forgot the tornadoes that go through Oklahoma. Which is why the movie folks changed that.

The book had lots of silliness, borrowing from another review:
To get the first key you had to beat the Skeleton King at the game Joust. Fortunately, I'm the best in the world at it and win on the first try!"
"To complete the first gate I had to reenact the entire War Games movie. Fortunately, I've watched it a billion times and know all the lines by heart!"
"To get the one-up coin I had to play a perfect game of Pac-Man, something only 5 people have ever done in history! Even though I'm rusty at my Pac-Man skills, I become the 6th person after just a few hours."
"To get the second key I had to beat the game Zork. Fortunately, I know the game by heart!"
"To pass through the second gate I had to reenact the movie Blade Runner. Fortunately, I know the movie by heart!"

Original review at:
https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments ... appointed/

Yet big special effects and all, it will make a lot of money. Big dumb special effect movies are what sell worldwide.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:41 am

I get that some people do not like the book. But dammit you all are just being fickle. And people call me a curmudgeon. :roll:
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:44 am

tanker27 wrote:
I get that some people do not like the book. But dammit you all are just being fickle. And people call me a curmudgeon. :roll:

I am a curmudgeon, my wife says so. A friend was so excited about the book that I just expected more. And I am so, so tired of "corporation 100% evil, plucky hero 100% good".

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:47 am

It's more what the book represents.

Because it's really, really depressing.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:04 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
Yet big special effects and all, it will make a lot of money. Big dumb special effect movies are what sell worldwide.

Heh, tell that to Valérian. :lol: :o

I'm not defending the book BTW, just answering a question based on the "fact" from the fiction.

As for the review you've mentioned, I don't have a huge problem with that stuff because we are talking about the hero of the story after-all. He's trained for this, so I didn't have a problem with it all working out for him. However, as with many books from new authors that I've read recently, it was more than a bit "Mary Sue" in nature. That can be varying degrees of annoying to me, and in this one it was worst than most. I could practically see the author RPing as the hero as he wrote it.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:13 pm

drfish wrote:
Hawkwing74 wrote:

Heh, tell that to Valérian. :lol: :o

How can you fault this in Luc Benson? I mean he is known for the Fifth element that a lot of people love, including me. (I remember people hated on FE back when it was released because it was very quirky Sci-Fi) If Valerian is anything like Fifth Element I am sure I will enjoy it too.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:41 pm

The trailer calls the book "the holy grail of pop culture". I don't take that as a compliment. Makes it sound like it's fan service in print. Hard pass. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:21 am

Mr Bill wrote:
Have you read Omnitopia Dawn by Diane Duane?

Finished this today, good read. Wish there was a book two to dive into right away.