Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

What's in your garden?

Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:20 pm

We have a bumper crop of cucumbers this year. They've taken over the small raised bed we planted them in, and are sending tendrils out into the lawn.

We also have a lot of blackberries. We planted them a few years ago, and they've taken over the side yard. If you like berries and want something relatively maintenance-free, these are a good choice. They're perennials that spread by sending out runners, so once you plant them they come up every year and propagate themselves. Maintenance basically consists of hacking them back whenever they spread too far from where you planted them; in our case, insufficient maintenance resulted in them overrunning and killing the rhubarb and raspberries we had planted on either side of them. One other caveat: Harvesting can be a little painful if you're not careful, as the bushes do have some pretty nasty thorns.

Tomatoes are doing OK. We planted fewer of them this year (last year the raised bed that is now full of cucumbers was planted with tomatoes).

Squirrels stole all the peaches off the (small) peach tree we have in the front yard. (Any tips on preventing this next year?)

The hops look like crap. Not sure why they're unhappy, but they are susceptible to a lot of diseases. Looks like we'll still get a small crop.

TIL: I noticed that the cucumbers have little prickly spines on them. Apparently most cucumbers have these, but you wouldn't know it unless you grow your own since the store-bought ones have the spines removed before they are sold to consumers. They're easily removed via a quick once-over with a kitchen scrubby.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Re: What's in your garden?

Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:51 pm

Get some capsaicin extract and put it all over the tree. Plus you'll get spicy peaches which are probably awesome.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:18 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Squirrels stole all the peaches off the (small) peach tree we have in the front yard. (Any tips on preventing this next year?)
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/112958/belgian-squirrel/
· R5-3600X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 32GiB, RX5500XT, 2TB SX8200Pro +2TB MX500 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Focus PX-850, S3220DGF +32UD99
· i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32GiB, HD7770, ½TB 960Pro +5TB HD, Define Mini-C, SS-660XP2, U2410

DrDominodog51
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:22 pm

Nothing is in my garden because my soil is terrible. :-?

My house is at the bottom of what once was a quarry, so I have either rocky soil or clay at any given point on my property.
Last edited by DrDominodog51 on Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A10-7850K; GA-F2A88XN-WIFI, 16 GB of 2400MHz DDR3, 500 GB Team Group L5 SSD

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:35 pm

I have three very productive blueberry bushes. We might get 25% of their output as the deer just consider them a salad bar.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:21 pm

DrDominodog51 wrote:
Nothing is in my garden because my soil is terrible. :-?

My house is at the bottom of what once was a quarry, so I have either rocky soil or clay at any given point on my property.

You could still do a raised bed.

blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:50 pm

I dunno, is it just me? I was outside a lot as a kid with no problems, but every year now, flies seem to be getting more vicious and annoying. Bigger welts,... I just don't want to be outside anymore during fly season. The bites annoy for days. Gardening is just not the same once the flies come into equation.

HAL-9000
Gerbil

Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:51 pm

just brew it! wrote:

TIL: I noticed that the cucumbers have little prickly spines on them. Apparently most cucumbers have these, but you wouldn't know it unless you grow your own since the store-bought ones have the spines removed before they are sold to consumers. They're easily removed via a quick once-over with a kitchen scrubby.

Cucumbers come in a few different varieties, some with spines and some that are spineless. Most cucumbers that are mass-grown for pickles are of the Kirby variety, which are spineless and have very small seeds. There are also some that are "burp-less", also know as the English or European cucumber. They are both seedless and spineless and grow between 1 and 2 feet in length.

The wife and I are growing Japanese cucumbers this summer in a raised bed, and these grow best with the help of a trellis. The massive amount of rain that we have had in the Indianapolis area this summer has produced a huge harvest of these. They are very spiny, about a foot long, and have tiny seeds in them.

What kind of soil do you have in your raised beds? I have discovered that a 33%-33%-33% ratio of Peat Moss, Mushroom Compost/Cow Dung and Vermiculite makes a HUGE difference in the harvest of the garden. Our three tomato plants that we have in the raised beds are almost 6 feet tall and have produced several dozen baseball-sized tomatoes, and we still have about 2 months left in the growing season.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:03 pm

HAL-9000 wrote:
What kind of soil do you have in your raised beds? I have discovered that a 33%-33%-33% ratio of Peat Moss, Mushroom Compost/Cow Dung and Vermiculite makes a HUGE difference in the harvest of the garden. Our three tomato plants that we have in the raised beds are almost 6 feet tall and have produced several dozen baseball-sized tomatoes, and we still have about 2 months left in the growing season.

Just topsoil from the local home improvement store. In past years, we've mixed in some worm castings; not sure if we did that this year (my wife does most of the garden stuff).

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:21 pm

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MwIFBKcIzqKF9gqq2
(sorry I messed up the white balance on this)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dPquyaVQwtaw9Qr43

Mostly it's flowers though

https://photos.app.goo.gl/o1FWsm5smxX3VDeX2

I must admit I'd don't do much of the work but I am prepared to take all the credit.

Blackberries are pretty much my favourite soft fruit. We don't have them in the garden because they are so invasive but there many bushes on public land near me so I can pick as many as I want. They make excellent jam or just mix the fresh ones into whipped cream.
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

Redocbew

Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:07 pm

My parents had blackberries in their yard while I was going up. It was awesome, but eventually they ate the fence they were growing on, and we had to do something about it. I don't have a lot of space for gardening here otherwise I'd try to plant some and bend them to my will.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

the
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:29 pm

My garden got flooded out on 7/27 as well as pretty much the neighborhood. One tomato plant did survive and I think some of the cat nip.
Dual Opteron 6376, 96 GB DDR3, Asus KGPE-D16, GTX 970
Mac Pro Dual Xeon E5645, 48 GB DDR3, GTX 770
Core i7 3930K@4.2 Ghz, 32 GB DDR3, GA-X79-UP5-Wifi
Core i7 2600K@4.4 Ghz, 16 GB DDR3, GTX 970, GA-X68XP-UD4

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:55 am

We've got just a small 2.5' x 15' garden alongside our garage that I incorporated into the rock landscaping around the perimeter of our house. Since it's small, we just grow green beans to eat for dinners while in season. Last year I had a couple plants that I'd routinely pick 15-25 beans off every time, so I saved a few bean pods at the end of the growing season last year and replanted them this year. I've picked twice since Thursday and have a good half gallon of beans. Last night we had our first fresh green beans for dinner, so good!

Gotta look up how to "properly" save bean seeds over the winter. I just threw the pods in an empty soda box until spring, then shucked the seeds out, put them in a cup with water (good seeds sink) and planted them. Only about half of the seeds were usable (sinkers). But every one I planted grew at least.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

druidcent

Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:40 pm

Bushes and vines:
Marionberries, Blackberries, Raspeberries, Lingonberries, Strawberries (although not many this year)
2 varieties of grapes (California Flame, and Tratine(sp? new variety similar to a Pinot)
Tomatoes (Early Girl, Sun Gold, some weird giant heirloom, cherry and grape, Roma)
Potatoes (This started as an experiment my son decided on when he planted some sprouting potatoes)
Thyme, Mint (Spearmint, Peppermint, and Chocolate), Anaheim Chili, lemongrass, cilantro, rhubarb, Basil (Lemon, Italian, Thai, Holy)
Artichoke, Sweet Corn (well, until the raccoons got it), Broccoli and Kale, green beans
Passionfruit
Coffee

Trees:
2 Meyer Lemons, Lime, Clementine, Navel Oranges, Grapefruit
Olive, plum, 2 cherries, and supposedly a mulberry tree (but I haven't ever seen any grow)
2 Figs, Apple (Golden Delicious), Pomegranate, Nectarines, Banana

Non-edibles:
2 Maple trees, Roses, Jasmines, Tulips, Bamboo, Geraniums (Scented), weeds :)

Wow.. I hadn't gone through all the plants in a while... :) About 60 years ago, the land used to be orchards, so the soil is pretty fertile. I don't use chemicals in the garden, so we tend to lose a bunch of fruit to pests... On the other hand, we get a very diverse set of creatures that feed in our yard, at least for a suburban neighborhood

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:54 pm

We have a container garden on our deck. Rabbits are just out of control in the yard, but you can't get up to the deck without opening a gate. Tomatoes, strawberries, green peppers, and some herbs. Tomatoes are stubbornly green, though. It just hasn't been hot enough this summer for long enough periods of time.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:44 pm

Living in a townhome leaves us with a choice between pots and the 7 square feet of fertile soil hemmed in the back patio, so we don't have much: some sort of heirloom tomato purchased mainly as a novelty, a prolific spearmint plant, and a few useful herbs: basil, thai basil, green onions, and sometimes lemongrass or rosemary.

My folks do better on their half-acre plot, though. Typically rhubarb, wild raspberries, wild currants, zucchini, summersquash, winter squash, pumpkins, cantaloupe, tomatoes, bell peppers, chile peppers, string beans, endive, carrots, garlic, chives, dill, rosemary, and basil. My mom discovered years ago that she can cover the carrots in several layers of blankets and cardboard before the first freeze and they will slow-grow underneath all winter. She usually harvests the last of them in late February or early March.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:55 pm

Weeds and morning glories.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

SuperSpy

Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:55 pm

We didn't do a garden last year because of moving and spending all our time renovating the 'new' (read: very old) house.

This year, we ended up cutting a sizable section 20x50' section for gardening. I again attempted to start seedling tomatoes and peppers inside and transplant them, which again ended in complete failure, with them dying the instant they were subjected to 'real' sun.

Apart from the transplant problem with the seedlings, apparently the new place has really good soil, because everything else went insane. We now have a pair of pumpkin and watermelon plants vying for control of one side of the garden, and massive zucchini plants (and fruits) taking over most of the other half, with just a small section in the middle where the tomatoes and peppers should have been.

We had some other things planted, like peas, radishes, and carrots, but they kind of got away from us when we took a vacation in early/mid June and didn't really produce a significant amount of produce.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:30 pm

SuperSpy wrote:
This year, we ended up cutting a sizable section 20x50' section for gardening. I again attempted to start seedling tomatoes and peppers inside and transplant them, which again ended in complete failure, with them dying the instant they were subjected to 'real' sun.

Did you try setting the pots outdoors for a few hours a day, for several days prior to transplanting? That's what my wife does and she seems to have pretty good success with seedlings surviving.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:37 pm

Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:14 pm

Ground around here is lousy with lead. Need to have tests done on my soil, but general rule of thumb is to not eat anything growing out of the ground.

So I have potted plants only. Basil, small raspberry and blueberries, key lime, various hot peppers, a tomato. Key lime is too young to fruit, but growing beautifully. Hopefully next year. Raspberry and blueberries never even flowered this year - not sure why, need to read up on this stuff. Tomatoes ripening as we speak. And, as always, a zillion hot peppers, more than I could possibly ever want in a season. I have a Scotch bonnet that is more mature, overwintered from last year, and it apparently has decided to produce enough capsaicin-laden fruit to murder us all.

I don't have a green thumb at all, but I seem to have a knack for growing peppers, and I've kept them going and fruiting for years before. Even if I don't eat most of the fruit they produce, I like having them around.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:31 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Ground around here is lousy with lead. Need to have tests done on my soil, but general rule of thumb is to not eat anything growing out of the ground.

:(

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Raspberry and blueberries never even flowered this year - not sure why, need to read up on this stuff.

We planted blueberries a few years ago, they didn't take. The raspberries blackberries OTOH... as I noted above, they're taking over, and the only maintenance we do on them is actively fighting them back to keep them in the area where we planted them!

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
I don't have a green thumb at all, but I seem to have a knack for growing peppers, and I've kept them going and fruiting for years before. Even if I don't eat most of the fruit they produce, I like having them around.

Yeah, peppers are fairly attractive plants. I guess there are some varieties that are even grown primarily as ornamentals?

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:55 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Yeah, peppers are fairly attractive plants. I guess there are some varieties that are even grown primarily as ornamentals?

A local greenhouse likes to keep some variant of these minis in stock, and we've bought one a couple times. The peppers about as big as half of your pinky finger and are technically edible, but mainly it's a pretty plant to have around for a couple months until the inevitable post-hothouse death.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

liquidsquid

Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:05 pm

An acre of potatoes, about 160 cabbages (slightly chewed). 20 pumpkin/gourd mounds and this is all for world hunger relief. It is done through our church at our house, so a bit of a cheat.

Our raised bed gardens we have incredibly massive tomato plants this year, they have loved the rain more than I would have expected. 6' tall and rising, covered with flowers and some now ripe tomatoes. The Hopps died in the wet weather. They don't like wet feet. The cucumbers are taking over, and looking a little like the college bars in engineering school. Wieners everywhere. Broccoli, holy smokes. They love it wet and cool! Family got grossed out by the dead cabbage worms that came off when steaming, so they now make pretty yellow bouquets in the garden. Red, white, and purple potatoes all doing well, but concerned with the rain being too much. Hungarian peppers have been taken over by the broccoli. Buried in there someplace!

To fight off bugs, we crowd marigold plants (permetherin) around tomatoes and broccoli. It works fairly well, but the cabbage worms don't seem to give a crap.

druidcent

Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:21 pm

just brew it wrote:
Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Raspberry and blueberries never even flowered this year - not sure why, need to read up on this stuff.

We planted blueberries a few years ago, they didn't take. The raspberries OTOH... as I noted above, they're taking over, and the only maintenance we do on them is actively fighting them back to keep them in the area where we planted them!

We get lots of random people parking and littering next to our house.. I'm encouraging my blackberries to grow into the area to discourage the parking :D

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:39 pm

Chrispy_ wrote:
Oh my! Try something more like this and that or this and that.
Last edited by JustAnEngineer on Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
· R5-3600X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 32GiB, RX5500XT, 2TB SX8200Pro +2TB MX500 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Focus PX-850, S3220DGF +32UD99
· i7-9700K, NH-D15, Z390M Pro4, 32GiB, HD7770, ½TB 960Pro +5TB HD, Define Mini-C, SS-660XP2, U2410

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:06 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Raspberry and blueberries never even flowered this year ...

We planted blueberries a few years ago, they didn't take.

The berry plants are growing nicely, just decided that they didn't want to make the effort to fruit at all this year. Probably need some sort of fertilizer, I'll check as to what I should add to their pots.

just brew it! wrote:
I guess there are some varieties that are even grown primarily as ornamentals?

My first pepper was an Explosive Ember. Beautiful purple fruit (also edible), purple-green leaves. Lived in a pot for five years, I don't have it anymore only because I moved cross-country and couldn't take it with me.

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:01 pm

druidcent wrote:
just brew it wrote:
Chuckaluphagus wrote:

We planted blueberries a few years ago, they didn't take. The raspberries OTOH... as I noted above, they're taking over, and the only maintenance we do on them is actively fighting them back to keep them in the area where we planted them!

We get lots of random people parking and littering next to our house.. I'm encouraging my blackberries to grow into the area to discourage the parking :D

Yeah, I meant blackberries. We planted raspberries too, but the blackberries overran 'em!

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:18 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Chrispy_ wrote:
Oh my! Try something more like this and that or this and that.

My internal monologue read that out in a George Takei accent.

I've realised that neither my solution nor your suggestions are going to be of any use; As long as there is still a garden left once the squirrel has been dispatched, then more squirrels will come. The trick is to dispatch the garden at the same time.

Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:12 am

Random Appearances in our garden: 2 kids, 2 dogs, 3 cats, seabright bantam hen.

Randomly spread all over the property: catnip, wild black berries, grape vines (some with big bunches of grapes), morels, Beefsteak shrooms,

We also have: transparent apples, granny smith, and crab apples.

Specifically in any one of three gardens:
Rhubarb, strawberries, parsnips, carrots, corn, summer squash, pumpkin, water mellon, green and purple cabbage, cucumbers, green and yellow zuchini, catnip (again), onion, beefsteak tomato, plum tomato, cherry tomato, snap peas, string green beans.... I think that is it.

Main garden has been there for 5 years and started as bad lawn with 1" of top soil rotor-tilled over into sand/loam. We have slowly been burying the cat presents, dead chickens, dead bunnies, canned veggies that have gone off... We have added lots of horse manure, chicken manure, and bunny manure to it.... I think we are finally getting some good soil, our tomatoes, cabbage, and squash plants are HUGE this year.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD