Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Home Security/Cameras

Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:37 pm

So our home was broken into on Friday, and my wife and I are now looking at home security measures to prevent it from happening again. So I was wondering, what to gerbils use?

We already picked up a couple of simple door alarms that will make noise if someone breaks in through a door (will hopefully scare them off), but we were also considering cameras. I don't think we can nor would get a home security service like ADT because it is a rental, but anything that we can use and transfer to a future home would be worth considering.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Home Security/Cameras

Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:57 pm

I've heard of people using game cameras, like what hunters use to see where deer go at night, and Linus Torvalds recently wrote a post praising some cameras he uses:
https://plus.google.com/+LinusTorvalds/ ... eMcfughjFe
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:09 pm

I wouldn't get a monitored setup either, those are unnecessary these days anyway. Get yourself something that detects outdoors movement near the house and allows you phone access to the feed. Maybe really high definition camera on a day loop dropped in the living room or kitchen just to get the faces of potential trespassers.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Duct Tape Dude
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:22 pm

I needed something cheap and simple for my apartment/house so I got Piper https://getpiper.com/
It doubles as a Z-Wave controller and records 30s clips of anything that happens (automatically re-arms after 5m, or if you tell it to manually).

I'd recommend it if you're looking to spend a fixed amount of money. Every other cloud-based camera requires a subscription to keep recordings longer. If you're willing to pay for a subscription, consider Canary https://canary.is/, Arlo http://www.arlo.com/en-us/, and Nest https://nest.com/camera/meet-nest-cam/

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:30 pm

Get yourself a 4-legged hyperactive and hypercurious sentry bot, a/k/a a dog. Nothing even touches my front porch without baying by the front door before it hits. No thief on the planet gets into my house without advance warning from Oliver.

Oh, and this is Oliver. Beagle/mutt, 30 lbs, but possessed of he best ears and nose in the town.

What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

superjawes
Topic Author

Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:17 am

Heiwashin wrote:
I wouldn't get a monitored setup either, those are unnecessary these days anyway. Get yourself something that detects outdoors movement near the house and allows you phone access to the feed. Maybe really high definition camera on a day loop dropped in the living room or kitchen just to get the faces of potential trespassers.
This is basically what we're thinking. Duct Tape Dude's recommendations seem to fit this bill, too.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

YoTechBoii
Gerbil In Training

Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:05 am

I'd have to agree with duct tape. Arlo pro, Canary and Piper are my top 3. Both Canary and piper don't look much like a camera and it's important. But i'm rooting for Arlo pro (coz we already have one) .the motion detection and speak and hear thru the cam feature is a bomb! Though it's battery is a bit of a downside. but it's a good investment so far. This page compares Arlo, Canary, Piper, and Arlo Pro: https://smartrobotichome.com/smart-secu ... omparison/
Last edited by YoTechBoii on Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:59 pm

We have SimpliSafe for security. Since my wife is a SAH mom, I like being able to set it when I leave for work in the AM. The monitoring isn't unreasonable and we pay the upgrade for remote access totally worth it. The app works great and is pretty fast. They finally updated it to let you manage the system from he app beyond simple off/home/away.

I'm in the market for a camera. Simple looped recording to SD is my ideal. I figure 1 frame/sec should allow for a 24 hr loop in a SD card. Much simpler than networking or remote storage or service fees. I haven't found the perfect candidate yet.

End User

Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:14 am

I just bought 3 Nest Cam IQ's for my suite. Pricey but easy to setup and the features are really cool.

https://nest.com/camera/tech-specs-iq/

superjawes
Topic Author

Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:50 pm

We picked up a set of Arlo Pro cameras, and initial impressions are positive. Was super-easy to set up, and the option to add a subscription later is appealing. Thanks for the input, guys.

YoTechBoii
Gerbil In Training

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:33 pm

superjawes wrote:
We picked up a set of Arlo Pro cameras, and initial impressions are positive. Was super-easy to set up, and the option to add a subscription later is appealing. Thanks for the input, guys.

Ha! how's your Arlo's motion detection so far? :lol: This one here shows how arlo pro's motion detection impacts its batteries, which is mine's and a lot more people's main concern as their batteries drain fast.
Last edited by YoTechBoii on Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ummagumma
Gerbil

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:42 pm

I like Captain Ned's suggestion ... for a number of reasons (furry friend, mobile alarm, sympathetic listener, etc.). In my own case I have dogs on every side of my house that bark at all sorts of things, including me turning on my back porch lights! I do not have a dog myself now, but I had one when I was very young and learned they can be very protective of their master and their master's property, especially when that property is behind a 6 (or higher) foot fence.

When I decided to add video cameras to my home I opted to "flex my geek skills" (retired server & network engineer) and built up my own system of IP-based POE cameras backed up by a quality UPS system. Yes, that meant pulling cable everywhere, but I firmly believe that if I can watch my cameras wirelessly then so can anyone else that is "creative" (and even hack them). Another thing I do not like about wireless cameras is maintaining the batteries; the darn things can "go weak" at the worst possible times. I can also add the privacy concerns of uploading the video to "the cloud" so that I can view it; some cameras work like that. Add to all of that the hassle of battery maintenance and finding a Wi-Fi channel that is not already overloaded (RF congested) with other users and the behaviors of RF signals around structures, and the end result is a sometimes unreliable video signal; my neighbor experiences exactly those problems with his system.

My "video server" is based on the open source software "zoneminder" (http://www.zoneminder.com), a very "flexible" piece of software. In my case I have a (Debian) Linux-based server with "zoneminder" on it that is built to the "zoneminder" developer's advice of "more cores, not more clock speed" makes "zoneminder" the work best with 1 core per camera being optimal; counter-intuitive I know, but that dev is right in my experience. I can configure "alarm zones with motion detection" or even switch any given camera into full-time "record" mode, and you don't need to run cameras at 30fps when 8fps or even 6fps is satisifactory for motion detection and reasonable identification of a suspect. As for "central monitoring" by a 3rd party? Don't want/need it as a VPN to the house network handles remote access and any privacy concerns while avoidjng all of the risks that go along with "broadcasting" one's home cameras to the Internets. Also, there are 3rd party apps for "zoneminder" that you can run on your mobile phone. Nice thing about IP-based cameras is the fact that most have directly accessible video feeds, once you figure out the appropriate access method (generally a URL, but sometimes an added app or driver is needed to view the stream).

Ok, I sound like an advert for "zoneminder". I have absolutely no connection to them, I SWEAR! I just happen to like the software because it allowed me to "geek out" while building a Linux-based server and video camera network.

A few further thoughts. Consider your camera placements carefully; lay them out on paper first and consider "field of view". Remember that "night vision" on a video camera is not great; limited viewing distance and a "halo" effect in images is possible without added IR lighting (more wiring to do). You really don't want your house looking like a fortress or a prison with cameras everywhere. You really don't want to place cameras where they are easily accessible by a criminal (cameras can be costly), unless they bring their own ladder (kind of obvious, no?). Try to understand human psychology regarding approaching a door; people rarely look up because they are focused on the door/entryway and/or door bell, but you can get a good visual from an overhead camera (I use that setup at my front & back doors). Sometimes having 1 or 2 obvious cameras is enough to deter a would-be/wannabe criminal out for a quick "smash & grab". A serious criminal "knows" your place; they have observed you, perhaps even taken notes of your movements, "cased" your location at various hours, studied avenues of approach to your doors & windows, and considered potential security methods and possible backup systems you have have. A serious criminal is the most difficult for a homeowner to thwart; sometimes crime is going to happen no matter what you do.

Closing thought. Consider a "layered" approach to home security. A dog combined with a few carefully placed cameras in "motion detection" mode, high quality door locks, solid-core (or wood-appearing steel) doors, and a decent security/burglar alarm covering doors, window breakage and interior movement (motion sensors) makes for a pretty tough defense. Also consider what might be attractive about your house. Nice boat in the driveway or side yard? Big truck in the driveway that doesn't fit in the garage? Lots of CB & ham radio aerials on the house? Lots of nice "fancy stuff" that can be seen through the windows, like a glorious holiday tree in the winter time? Any signs of nobody being home (lawn needs mowing, newspapers not picked up, etc.)? If your "significant other" complains that your "security measures" make the place "look blah" or "unattractive", ask them this: "Would they rather have to replace the nice stuff that people can see on a constant basis, or do they want to retire with a nice nestegg for their golden years?"

Perhaps the easiest way to sum up a security exam of your own property is this: "Think like a criminal."

Yes, you heard something like that on NBC's "The Blacklist" TV show, assuming you watch that. :wink:
Did you expect to read anything useful here?

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:44 pm

superjawes wrote:

+1 for Arlo if you want 100% wireless. I have had Arlo since it was in beta (my base station is totally labelled engineering sample)
Amazon has some reasonably priced batteries.
You can do some nifty things.

I have a friend who uses IFTTT only have the units on at night and to upload the recordings to Google Drive.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:07 pm

Ummagumma wrote:
built up my own system of IP-based POE cameras backed up by a quality UPS system

Specifically what camera's did you go with. I had considered doing the same thing and have ny home serve do a ~24hour loop the video. I just didn't want to spend alot on the camera's. It seems like the one's with decent reviews were in the $120+ range, which isn't any cheaper than the wireless one's with the fancy features and remote monitoring.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:08 pm

I'm not sure why anything related to home security usually has a subscription model, especially these days. There's no reason you can't set up your own phone accessible monitoring without having to pay a monthly fee for no reason.
Last edited by Heiwashin on Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Ummagumma
Gerbil

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:47 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Ummagumma wrote:
built up my own system of IP-based POE cameras backed up by a quality UPS system

Specifically what camera's did you go with. I had considered doing the same thing and have ny home serve do a ~24hour loop the video. I just didn't want to spend alot on the camera's. It seems like the one's with decent reviews were in the $120+ range, which isn't any cheaper than the wireless one's with the fancy features and remote monitoring.

I am using cameras that are made by HikVision, but sold in the USA under the brand "LaView".

I waited for "holiday sales" on LaView kits at Newegg on LaView video systems that included the cameras that I want; I had the necessary POE-capable network hardware already. The included LaView NVR in their "kit" (NVR, cameras, Ethernet cables) is a decent "clone" of a HikVision product, but it was not suitable for my needs since it required it's own "bloated" Windows software to be viewable over the network and "direct access" to the cameras was "buried" (but hackable, if you work at it) behind a NAT function within the LaView NVR. I think I averaged about $70 to $80 per camera by buying the stuff I needed in LaView kits. It pays to shop around if you know what you want/need. All of my cameras are 2MP or better; 720p or better resolution; IPv4 & IPv6; full DHCP support on IPv4 & IPv6; POE & external power inputs; built-in web interface that is easy to use; well documented online; compatible with "zoneminder"; and, "software upgradeable" (though LaView issues these rare updates, not HikVision). Some "HikVision" cameras sold by Newegg 3rd party sellers are NOT upgradeable AT ALL and admitted so by the seller.

To your comments about price, and solely judging the situation based on price, then yes, you will find less expensive alternatives out there, especially in wireless cameras. If you step back and look at "the bigger picture" (what I did, and everyone's situation will be different), sometimes those less expensive options are not worth it due inflexible use choices, "security concerns", or whatever.

It sounds like you found a solution that works well for you. In my case, yeah, I am a "wannabe hacker" when it comes to software and a restless tinkerer when it comes to my own network hardware. All geeks seem to have at least 1 "vice" when it comes to technology. :wink:
Did you expect to read anything useful here?

YoTechBoii
Gerbil In Training

Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:14 pm

It is convenient, yes, but Arlo 's batteries will really need improvement..I think it's one of the wired cam's edge over the wireless. Nevertheless, it's a wise purchase so far.
Last edited by YoTechBoii on Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

simbant
Gerbil

Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:18 am

I have one of these https://www.foscam.com/FN7108E_B4_2T.html, Its quite easy and nice.