Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

A rather good video by Linus about a Hyperloop team and prototype..

Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:20 pm

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: A rather good video by Linus about a Hyperloop team and prototype..

Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:32 am

That was pretty interesting, thanks!

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:39 am

I like when the Hyperloop back when it was called a "vacuum tunnel". The laws of physics and engineering difficulties haven't changed. The whole project is just a fool's errand to do on the Earth's surface. Airplanes already won by a milestone. It only makes sense in an environment that is already in a "vacuum" a.k.a surface of the moon.

Physics, been taking the fun out of "rule of cool" since ~1.38 * 10^10 years.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:20 am

I think it is a fun project, with semi-reasonable levels of real-world applicability.
In full disclosure, I was part of the original rLoop startup team but then pulled out when my daughter was born and I had no time to participate.

general_tux
Gerbil First Class

Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:15 am

Krogoth wrote:
I like when the Hyperloop back when it was called a "vacuum tunnel".
Wasn't the Hyperloop originally going to be based on just reduced pressure tube, in the realm of a "rough vacuum"? I thought it was originally going to have enough air still in the tube so that the pods could rely on lift generated at speed and help reduce the impact of small leaks. Isn't the idea behind "vacuum tunnel" trains to use magnetic levitation or the pressure differential between the two sides of the car at much lower pressures?
Main: Intel i7-5775C w/ Noctua NH-D14, single fan | Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7 | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW | GSkill DDR3-1866, 32GB | Corsair Pro 750W Gold
HTPC: AMD A10-7850K | ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ | GSkill DDR3-2400, 8GB | Silverstone SFX 450W

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:10 pm

general_tux wrote:
Krogoth wrote:
I like when the Hyperloop back when it was called a "vacuum tunnel".
Wasn't the Hyperloop originally going to be based on just reduced pressure tube, in the realm of a "rough vacuum"? I thought it was originally going to have enough air still in the tube so that the pods could rely on lift generated at speed and help reduce the impact of small leaks. Isn't the idea behind "vacuum tunnel" trains to use magnetic levitation or the pressure differential between the two sides of the car at much lower pressures?

They are trying to recreate similar conditions of the startosphere on ground level. It is nearly as difficult as trying to create a vacuum. Environmental control alone is cost and energy prohibitive. Safety is out of the question.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:58 pm

Krogoth wrote:
.. The whole project is just a fool's errand to do on the Earth's surface. Airplanes already won by a milestone. It only makes sense in an environment that is already in a "vacuum" a.k.a surface of the moon.

At this time, I'd sort of agree..

It needs to be long distance AND needs to be a major transportation route (either cargo or passengers or both) to be viable. It also needs to be "end-to-end" which limits its usefulness (..ie. it's not going to be a multi-stop affair). With the increased distance you can increase speed (along the "middle" of it's length), and ultimate speed should be multiples of the speed of sound.

It also needs to be underground, which is why Elon is into digging tunnels these days. The tunnel will of course supply the structure that will allow for a depressurized environment at a relatively lower cost per mile. Hopefully though they will use some of that new self-healing cement (for flexibility and "healing" properties) for the tunnel "liner".

I personally think that the technology behind the prototype is the wrong direction. I think "levitation" should be generated via massive surface area (grooves) of cheaply made permanent magnets for both the tunnel and "train". A "rail gun" propulsion system (and stopping system) might work, but because it's an "end-to-end" system I can think of a much more simplistic and robust system. :wink:

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:27 pm

The engineering and cost to build long tunnels with environmental controls, air filtration systems, and to constantly refresh that air back out are pretty steep on their own. Many additional tunnels to the surface are needed for that, especially with redundancies factored in for emergencies and smoke evacuation. A low air density environment would be less complex and less costly to both implement, and maintain, by comparison.

For all the drawbacks listed above, a hyperloop spanning the New England area would still be very useful for easing the subway and rail system loads, they can use local infrastructure after getting off the hyperloop to mitigate its limited stops. Even having it just for cargo would be a boon, our current rail networks are already overloaded with cargo and poorly maintained as it is, having to slow down in many areas due to crossings or decaying tracks. I can't even take a train from Texas up to Minnesota without a 10+ hour Greyhound bus ride which is a joke. Just having a hyperloop following the I-35 corridor from SA to Dallas would do wonders to relieve both road and rail congestion.