Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Arvald
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

National Drink Beer day?

Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:15 pm

hmm I'll be drinking some home brew porter and testing my coffee and cream stout.

what will others be drinking?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: National Drink Beer day?

Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:59 pm

I won't get out of class until almost 10PM and won't make it home until 10:30 at the earliest. And then I'll collapse in bed. So have one for me. :D

(btw I like too much mass-produced stuff to be interesting in this thread anyway. I'm a big fan of different Leinenkugel brews and tend to stick to stuff I know)
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:10 pm

Well, here in the land of Homer Simpson every day is Drink Beer Day but, for tonight, I have laid away the macro-brew Canadian swill and will attend to some Founders Brewing All Day IPA.

Truth be told, I whacked a 4-pack of Heady Topper last night. Tomorrow's physical should be interesting.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:13 pm

Will probably pop open a Two Brothers Pinball ale in a bit.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:52 pm

Does this count?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:58 pm

Picture hazy, but if it's a brewed ginger beer (or other botanical variant), you're in.

If the alcohol arrived via direct yeast fermentation, it's beer. When it's boiled to concentrate the alcohol, that's booze. If grain alcohol was added to something botanical, it's a crime against nature.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:23 pm

Completely forgot this was a thing and have been drinking whiskey instead. But, hey - whiskey starts as beer!

KO Distillery (it's a local one here in Virginia) Bare Knuckle Whiskey... it's a wheat whiskey (with a touch of rye) barrel aged for one year. Good flavor, kinda earthy but nice and smooth. Personally I think it could use another 6-12 months in the barrel but it's still good.

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite

Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:15 pm

Didn't know this was today. Oops. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to drink some high life and pretend it's fancy.

They don't even sell my favorite beer here. :(

Ommegang Hennepin

They used to distribute it here.but not anymore.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:31 pm

I discovered there is a Shiner Oktoberfest out right now.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:54 pm

Speaking of fest beer, Bell's Oktoberfest is quite good.

Pville_Piper
Gerbil XP

Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:46 am

I had some Space Dust IPA by the Elysian brewing company... While playing Elite dangerous no less!
Windows10, EVGA G2 750w Power Supply, Acer XB270H G-synch monitor, MSI Krait Gaming 3X, I7 6700K, 16 gigs of CORSAIR Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz ram, Crucial 500 gig SSD, EVGA GTX1080 FTW

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:32 am

I had a light lager yungling. I have decided that light lagers are within the scope of my favorite beers. Jbi didn't you say they were hard to make. Id like to try my hand at it some day.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:32 pm

Pville_Piper wrote:
I had some Space Dust IPA by the Elysian brewing company... While playing Elite dangerous no less!

That is an exceedingly tasty IPA.

I had some Dogfish Head World Wide Stout this week - the local Smith's (Kroger) had it on tap, so I brought home a growler. Damn good stuff!
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Pville_Piper
Gerbil XP

Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:30 pm

Waco wrote:
Pville_Piper wrote:

That is an exceedingly tasty IPA.

I had some Dogfish Head World Wide Stout this week - the local Smith's (Kroger) had it on tap, so I brought home a growler. Damn good stuff!

MMMMMNMMNN... Stout, would have loved to have had that. Had a very nice local porter at the Tulsa airport.
Windows10, EVGA G2 750w Power Supply, Acer XB270H G-synch monitor, MSI Krait Gaming 3X, I7 6700K, 16 gigs of CORSAIR Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz ram, Crucial 500 gig SSD, EVGA GTX1080 FTW

David
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:02 pm

Didn't know it was beer day yesterday, but I did have some Terrapin Luau Krunkles. It's a Guava, Passion, Orange IPA. Not bad.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

Pville_Piper
Gerbil XP

Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:24 am

David wrote:
Didn't know it was beer day yesterday, but I did have some Terrapin Luau Krunkles. It's a Guava, Passion, Orange IPA. Not bad.

Awhile back I did a job in the 21st Amendment brewery and they had an IPA called "Blah, Blah, Blah". The can says it all...

It was a good IPA and it poked fun it the trend to have something different for the sake of differences, taste be dammed. I used to be an adventurous drinker but anymore I don't drink that much and don't want to waste my money and taste buds on some brewers stroke of "genius". I still enjoy a wide variety of beer and it's fine to experiment, but some things shouldn't be foisted on the beer drinking community $10 a 4 pack, 6 pack or 22 oz bomber. For instance, I've tried a lot of beers with chocolate or vanilla in them and it is always the same... Disgusting, nasty, fermented horse piss would be better. The shame is you can brew a very chocolaty beer by using the proper roasted malts and get a wonderful beer (as long as you use the proper hops).

I also, a general rule, don't like fruit extracts to be used in beer. They impart too much flavor and tend to take over the beer, running the balance. On the other hand, brewing with fresh fruit can be very magical, if not messy. Years ago I brewed what started out to be an Imperial Oatmeal Stout, about 8% on the Richter scale. After it got to fermenting I thought, you know, I got some bitter sweet cherries that I picked in the freezer, I wonder how that would be? So, I dumped about 1-1.5 pounds of still frozen cherries into the fermenter. When they kicked off I had a real mess going on. The fermentation lock kept plugging up and building pressure in the fermenter, cherries blowing out the seals on the lid... I was sure it ruined. Finally got it fermented and bottled, I wasn't going to do it but my dad said why not so I did.

After about month I figured I'd better try one... It was the most wonderful beer I ever brewed! For the first couple of months it was all chocolate and cherries, like a Bon Bon baby! The few I had after 8 months had really matured. The flavor was now a very good stout, but at the finish, a rush of cherry flavor tickled your taste buds. It was like, man that's a great stout, WOW, where'd those cherries come from!

Sadly, I only made one batch from them... The we got an early spring the next year, followed by a late, very heavy frost and lost every cherry bush we had. Worst of all... My dad couldn't remember what variety or where he got them.

A couple of years ago I had a Big Eddy Cherry Doppelschwarz from the Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company. It was very reminiscent of my cherry stout and very good. I know it can be hard to source the fresh berries, but the fermented pulp adds something special that you will never get from an extract. Some berries, like blue berries, never taste like the extracts anyway. They have a very subtle flavor that gets too intense as an extract. Strawberries are another. The beautiful, delicate flavor would never survive the fermentation process and would have to be in a very light beer to make anything noticeable at all. Anyway, I will relinquish my soapbox... For now.

David
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:40 pm

Pville_Piper wrote:

Awhile back I did a job in the 21st Amendment brewery and they had an IPA called "Blah, Blah, Blah". The can says it all...

It was a good IPA and it poked fun it the trend to have something different for the sake of differences, taste be dammed.

A couple of years ago I had a Big Eddy Cherry Doppelschwarz from the Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company. It was very reminiscent of my cherry stout and very good. I know it can be hard to source the fresh berries, but the fermented pulp adds something special that you will never get from an extract. Some berries, like blue berries, never taste like the extracts anyway. They have a very subtle flavor that gets too intense as an extract. Strawberries are another. The beautiful, delicate flavor would never survive the fermentation process and would have to be in a very light beer to make anything noticeable at all. Anyway, I will relinquish my soapbox... For now.

21st Amendment makes great beer. I'm still adventurous, because why not? I don't actually care for IPAs, but I'll try the ones that sounds interesting because every now and then one is palatable.

Leinenkugel are the worst about overpowering every other flavor with fruit. I can't stand their stuff.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:49 pm

David wrote:
Leinenkugel are the worst about overpowering every other flavor with fruit. I can't stand their stuff.

QFT. Their Sunset Wheat was some of the worst "beer" I've ever consumed. Tasted like they pureed Fruity Pebbles cereal with a little beer and poured it into a bottle.

I actually like fruit beers, if the fruit doesn't overpower the beer and the beer isn't icky sweet. The fruit needs to complement the beer flavors, not overpower them. Tart fruits (raspberries, sour cherry...) seem to work best.