Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Bandcamp shout-out

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:42 am

A few days ago I purchased a download of an album on Bandcamp (Lykaia by Soen, in lossless FLAC format). Shortly afterward, I noticed that there was another version of the album with a bonus track, for $0.99 more; but the bonus track was not available for individual purchase.

I contacted customer support and explained the situation. They indicated that it was the band's decision not to sell the bonus track ala carte, but reversed the charges on my initial purchase so I could buy the download again with the bonus track.

They didn't need to do that, and in doing so were implicitly trusting me to re-buy the other version, instead of just keeping the (now free) copy of the original download.

I was already a fan of Bandcamp since they sell lossless music downloads at reasonable prices. Now they get another thumbs up for good customer service.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Bandcamp shout-out

Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:09 am

Good on Bandcamp, that's really cool.

I like buying through that site and I also like buying through Nimbit since they at least allow artists to upload WAV versions (not sure if it's a requirement or what, though). Being able to pick how I archive stuff is a big deal.

The only trouble I've had with Bandcamp is that if you don't keep your receipt, re-downloading seems impossible. Haven't been able to figure out how without the original receipt in hand.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator
Topic Author

Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:56 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
The only trouble I've had with Bandcamp is that if you don't keep your receipt, re-downloading seems impossible. Haven't been able to figure out how without the original receipt in hand.

It seems to tie the purchases to your e-mail address. When I finally registered an account on the site (I'd been just checking out as a guest prior to that), AFAICT everything I had purchased from them prior to that showed up in "My Collection", with download links.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:30 pm

Oh, OK. Thanks jbi, maybe I haven't gone through all the steps necessary for that yet.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen