Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

Yan
Silver subscriber
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

TR keeps credit card details?

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:28 pm

I just renewed my membership. Then, on the "Your subscription" page, under "Account details", I saw information about my credit card number.

I was surprised to see this. Isn't the information supposed to be sent directly to Stripe rather than to TR?

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: TR keeps credit card details?

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:38 pm

Most likely it's just been tokenized. Your info gets sent to Stripe, and they send back the last four digits, expiration date, and a token which has no intrinsic value. It's just a thing Stripe can use to look up the information in their system. The full number isn't stored anywhere else.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:15 am

Stripe documentation says it is indeed tokenized. Stripe is the one storing the CC details if you choose to do so when you check out.
"And and if you start to bleed, stop wiping." -whm1974

morphine
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:25 am

No, we do not store any credit card details, as detailed in our subscription page. The only information we keep is a reference to them, in our payment provider. We don't even know what the details are when you first fill them in—the data goes straight into Stripe and all we know is that it's card1A2B3C, with an expiration date of X/Y, and with last 4 digits 9999. Users can always delete the reference, too.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Yan
Silver subscriber
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:06 pm

morphine wrote:
No, we do not store any credit card details, as detailed in our subscription page. The only information we keep is a reference to them, in our payment provider. We don't even know what the details are when you first fill them in—the data goes straight into Stripe and all we know is that it's card1A2B3C, with an expiration date of X/Y, and with last 4 digits 9999. Users can always delete the reference, too.

I believe you, but how is it useful to you to know that the expiration date of my card is X/Y and the last 4 digits are 9999? I can see how it would be useful to have some kind of reference number for the payment, so you can follow-up with Stripe, or with me, but how are any details about the card itself useful?

morphine
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:10 pm

That's not for us, it's for the user. You'll want to know which one of your cards is stored, and in situations where you can store multiple cards (not our case), you need to be able to tell them apart :) The fact that that data is "semi-private", if we can call it that, is a generally-accepted practice.

Plus, like you mentioned, if there's any sort of problem with the payment, card, talk to your bank, etc, all parties need to be able to say which card was used.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(