Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

thecoldanddarkone
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Obsolete IT in the wild

Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:10 pm

1709 is going to kill me.
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:44 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I've seen bizarre boot order bugs too. A lot of older systems (and probably some newer ones too) just have weird issues with boot order and detection of boot drives. You'd think this would've been a solved problem by now given the age of the PC ecosystem, but apparently not.

Goes for anything, not just boot order (though I agree, I always see boot order issues after clean Windows installs even today, legacy code hiding on some random old storage drive I'm sure)...

I built a brand spanking new Z87 + 4770k rig shortly after launch and after powering it up, no display output. Spent 20 minutes re-attaching cables and devices and same result, started to swear. Eventually realized the board didn't have a button speaker so I added one, got the expected POST beep, but still no display. Moved the DVI cable to from the re-used GPU to the motherboard DVI port and there was my video. Had to manually configure the system to prioritize the GPU video out to make it work. Was my first system with an IGP... I still wonder how many people returned hardware because of issues like that.

whm1974
Gerbil Elder

Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:55 pm

Kougar wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
I've seen bizarre boot order bugs too. A lot of older systems (and probably some newer ones too) just have weird issues with boot order and detection of boot drives. You'd think this would've been a solved problem by now given the age of the PC ecosystem, but apparently not.

Goes for anything, not just boot order (though I agree, I always see boot order issues after clean Windows installs even today, legacy code hiding on some random old storage drive I'm sure)...

I built a brand spanking new Z87 + 4770k rig shortly after launch and after powering it up, no display output. Spent 20 minutes re-attaching cables and devices and same result, started to swear. Eventually realized the board didn't have a button speaker so I added one, got the expected POST beep, but still no display. Moved the DVI cable to from the re-used GPU to the motherboard DVI port and there was my video. Had to manually configure the system to prioritize the GPU video out to make it work. Was my first system with an IGP... I still wonder how many people returned hardware because of issues like that.

That is one of the reasons that when built my Haswell system, I just put together enough to see if it boots and checked the BIOS. Yeah that was my first experience with iGPUs as well.