Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Tofurky and other faux meats.

Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:15 pm

Ok I'm no vegan or even a vegetarian and have no plans on ever becoming one. I do however deplore the conditions of the large scale of the factory farming of animals and its costly impact on the environment.

My main interest in faux meats is that I like to try out new things and just to see how close they can come to the taste of meat or even they could do better. I have had MorningStar Mushroom patties before and I swear they tasted just like meat that most people would be fooled by them.

I watch a few YouTube videos where meat eaters cooked a Tofurky loaf and did a taste test. They pretty much enjoyed it, so I'm getting one and putting it in my slow cooker.

So had faux meats that taste like the real thing at least delicious enough to bother with eating it?
http://www.tofurky.com/
 
bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4025
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:55 pm
Location: Southwest Missouri, USA

Re: Tofurky and other faux meats.

Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:46 pm

When my wife was pregnant she couldn't eat meat, but fake was fine. I liked the Quorn brand stuff the best.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: Tofurky and other faux meats.

Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:11 pm

bthylafh wrote:
When my wife was pregnant she couldn't eat meat, but fake was fine. I liked the Quorn brand stuff the best.

I haven't encountered Quorn before, isn't that a British product?
 
bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil
Posts: 4025
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:55 pm
Location: Southwest Missouri, USA

Re: Tofurky and other faux meats.

Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:03 pm

Dunno. We got it from the local international/ethnic food store, if memory serves.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x
 
Topinio
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1373
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:28 am
Location: London

Re: Tofurky and other faux meats.

Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:47 am

Some is delicious, some is foul ... kinda like meat, vegetables, cheese, beer ... :P

OT, Tofurkey is kinda fine, I guess, and I will buy it and reasonably happily eat it. One of my kids loves it, the other hates it: FWIW, the one who loves it is the one who loves Coke, sweets, crisps (chips!), and other junk food and the one who hates it is the water-only, no-artificial-flavours, keep-it-simple type.
Desktop: E3-1270 v5, X11SAT-F, 32GB, RX Vega 56, 250GB BX100, 2TB Ultrastar, Xonar DGX, XL2730Z + G2420HDB
HTPC: i5-2500K, DH67GD, 6GB, GT 1030 SC, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Barracuda, Xonar DX
Laptop: MacBook6,1
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: Tofurky and other faux meats.

Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:19 am

Topinio wrote:
Some is delicious, some is foul ... kinda like meat, vegetables, cheese, beer ... :P

OT, Tofurkey is kinda fine, I guess, and I will buy it and reasonably happily eat it. One of my kids loves it, the other hates it: FWIW, the one who loves it is the one who loves Coke, sweets, crisps (chips!), and other junk food and the one who hates it is the water-only, no-artificial-flavours, keep-it-simple type.

Don't you have to make a base and bast the roast with it before cooking the Tofurky? At least one YouTube video shows the cook doing just that before putting it in the slow cooker with some veggies.

When I get the Tofurkey Roast, I'll do that way. Put a liner in the slow cooker and it's no fuss no mess afterwards.

I've eaten MorningStar products before. Their mushroom patties like said tasted exactly like meat and way better then the cheap frozen hamburger patties I used to eat. On the plus side they are not too expensive for mock meats ether.
 
Topinio
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1373
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:28 am
Location: London

Re: Tofurky and other faux meats.

Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:39 am

whm1974 wrote:
I've eaten MorningStar products before. Their mushroom patties like said tasted exactly like meat and way better then the cheap frozen hamburger patties I used to eat. On the plus side they are not too expensive for mock meats ether.

Yeah, that's kinda it: some, particularly cheap sorta/kinda, meat is foul (I really hate cheapo burgers, full of rusk and other junk) -- and I find it's same with meat alternatives, just without as close a correlation with price.

I kinda liked Sgaia's Smoked Mheat Steak when I tried it last year, but it was £3.50 a portion. Didn't look appetizing before cooking either, though kinda like an anaemic bit of liver.
Desktop: E3-1270 v5, X11SAT-F, 32GB, RX Vega 56, 250GB BX100, 2TB Ultrastar, Xonar DGX, XL2730Z + G2420HDB
HTPC: i5-2500K, DH67GD, 6GB, GT 1030 SC, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Barracuda, Xonar DX
Laptop: MacBook6,1
 
JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 17969
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: Tofurky and other faux meats.

Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:48 am

Spicy black bean burgers are flavorful and tasty enough to enjoy with fewer calories than meat, but don't let some uninformed vegan convince you that they taste anything like beef.
i7-8700K, H100i v2, RoG Strix Z370-G Gaming, 16 GiB, RX Vega64, 960Pro SSD, 5TB HDD, Define Mini-C, SS-660XP2, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: Tofurky and other faux meats.

Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:51 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Spicy black bean burgers are flavorful and tasty enough to enjoy with fewer calories than meat, but don't let some uninformed vegan convince you that they taste anything like beef.

From MorningStar? I did have their black bean patties before and while not quite like meat, still decent enough to eat before those cheapo hamburgers I mentioned.
 
Topinio
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1373
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:28 am
Location: London

Re: Tofurky and other faux meats.

Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:54 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Spicy black bean burgers are flavorful and tasty enough to enjoy with fewer calories than meat, but don't let some uninformed vegan convince you that they taste anything like beef.

Has that ever happened IRL? Or just in Strawmanland?
Desktop: E3-1270 v5, X11SAT-F, 32GB, RX Vega 56, 250GB BX100, 2TB Ultrastar, Xonar DGX, XL2730Z + G2420HDB
HTPC: i5-2500K, DH67GD, 6GB, GT 1030 SC, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Barracuda, Xonar DX
Laptop: MacBook6,1
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 50802
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Tofurky and other faux meats.

Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:11 am

I really don't get the point of the whole "faux meat" thing. They can taste good (they can also be awful), but they almost never have the taste and texture of the thing they are trying to emulate. So why even say "this is supposed to be like turkey" (or whatever) in the first place? You're setting people up to be disappointed.

I like tofu, and eat a fair amount of it. I don't expect it to taste like beef, or chicken, or hot dogs, or whatever. I expect it to taste like the sauce/seasoning I prepare it with, and for the texture to depend on the preparation method. If you want it to taste like real meat, then soak it in real meat juices; it's a (nearly) blank canvas. (Of course this defeats the point, for people who are eating tofu for health or ethical reasons.)

Tofu tip: If you freeze then thaw it, the ice crystals create a lot of tiny cavities, and most of the water drains away when you thaw it. This changes the texture (it gets lighter, yet chewier), and enables it to better absorb sauces and seasonings. It also turns it a sickly sort of beige color, so you need to be OK with that. :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: Tofurky and other faux meats.

Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:20 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I really don't get the point of the whole "faux meat" thing. They can taste good (they can also be awful), but they almost never have the taste and texture of the thing they are trying to emulate. So why even say "this is supposed to be like turkey" (or whatever) in the first place? You're setting people up to be disappointed.

I like tofu, and eat a fair amount of it. I don't expect it to taste like beef, or chicken, or hot dogs, or whatever. I expect it to taste like the sauce/seasoning I prepare it with, and for the texture to depend on the preparation method. If you want it to taste like real meat, then soak it in real meat juices; it's a (nearly) blank canvas. (Of course this defeats the point, for people who are eating tofu for health or ethical reasons.)

Tofu tip: If you freeze then thaw it, the ice crystals create a lot of tiny cavities, and most of the water drains away when you thaw it. This changes the texture (it gets lighter, yet chewier), and enables it to better absorb sauces and seasonings. It also turns it a sickly sort of beige color, so you need to be OK with that. :lol:

The MorningStar Mushroom patties really does tastes like meat and a Hell lot better then the cheap frozen ground beef patties that low cost food stores sell. And certainly could eat the mushroom patties instead of real meat a few days a week.

As far as the Tofurky goes, I haven't had it yet, but from the few reviews I've read and seen I think it is worth a try at least.
 
JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God
Posts: 17969
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: The Heart of Dixie

Re: Tofurky and other faux meats.

Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:26 pm

Topinio wrote:
Has that ever happened IRL?
Real life experience.
Seriously, I've had vegans try to convince me that something tasted like meat. Most of those dining experiences were unpleasant.

Chipotle Black Bean Burger patties are flavorful and tasty enough that I have purchased them several times, but they do not taste like beef.
i7-8700K, H100i v2, RoG Strix Z370-G Gaming, 16 GiB, RX Vega64, 960Pro SSD, 5TB HDD, Define Mini-C, SS-660XP2, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518
 
Mr Bill
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi
Posts: 1530
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Colorado Western Slope
Contact:

Re: Tofurky and other faux meats.

Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:31 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I really don't get the point of the whole "faux meat" thing. They can taste good (they can also be awful), but they almost never have the taste and texture of the thing they are trying to emulate. So why even say "this is supposed to be like turkey" (or whatever) in the first place? You're setting people up to be disappointed.

I like tofu, and eat a fair amount of it. I don't expect it to taste like beef, or chicken, or hot dogs, or whatever. I expect it to taste like the sauce/seasoning I prepare it with, and for the texture to depend on the preparation method. If you want it to taste like real meat, then soak it in real meat juices; it's a (nearly) blank canvas. (Of course this defeats the point, for people who are eating tofu for health or ethical reasons.)

Tofu tip: If you freeze then thaw it, the ice crystals create a lot of tiny cavities, and most of the water drains away when you thaw it. This changes the texture (it gets lighter, yet chewier), and enables it to better absorb sauces and seasonings. It also turns it a sickly sort of beige color, so you need to be OK with that. :lol:
I'll pass this tip to my girlfriend. She loves Tofu fried Tai style.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | WinXP64 Pro
 
odizzido
Gerbil Team Leader
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 6:10 am

Re: Tofurky and other faux meats.

Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:06 pm

I wish tofu came in better packaging. Where I live I have to throw away the plastic it comes in and it really bothers me.

Also I have no experience with fake meats so 1/2 off topic here.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: Tofurky and other faux meats.

Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:47 pm

odizzido wrote:
I wish tofu came in better packaging. Where I live I have to throw away the plastic it comes in and it really bothers me.

Also I have no experience with fake meats so 1/2 off topic here.

I had some type of Indian tofu curry before from Walmarts frozen foods section. Just remembered that. It was fair decent and I would eat it more often, but it's like $4 something a box.
 
just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Posts: 50802
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Tofurky and other faux meats.

Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:01 pm

It really annoys me how much regular grocery chains mark up tofu. At the Asian markets around here it's like a buck and a quarter for a block of it. At the big chain stores, you're lucky if you can find it for double that price. I guess they figure (correctly, it would seem) that a lot of people perceive it as some sort of exotic specialty item, and price it accordingly.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: Tofurky and other faux meats.

Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:48 pm

just brew it! wrote:
It really annoys me how much regular grocery chains mark up tofu. At the Asian markets around here it's like a buck and a quarter for a block of it. At the big chain stores, you're lucky if you can find it for double that price. I guess they figure (correctly, it would seem) that a lot of people perceive it as some sort of exotic specialty item, and price it accordingly.

I think here in the US most Americans unless they have an Asian background will consider any traditional soybean based foods aside from soy sauce to be something "Foreign and Exotic".
 
FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil
Posts: 7559
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: the abyss into which you gaze

Re: Tofurky and other faux meats.

Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:06 pm

The spices and flavorings are what make these vegetarian or vegan foods taste like meat. That is, they are seasoned the way the meat dishes they are trying to emulate are usually seasoned. Sometimes the texture is close, but it's never quite right, the way watching a little league game is fun, but not the same as a professional Baseball game.

I agree with JBI that often the foods could stand on their own better than as fake meats. Many of the recipes are clever and quite delicious in their own right.

A potential problem with the whole fake meat thing is that all of the spices they heap into some products to try and emulate the flavor of beef can wreak havoc on your stomach if you're susceptible to things like acid reflux or similar conditions. I mean, meat can be eaten plain and still taste like meat, but fake meat sometimes has to be spiced heavily to get the same taste. This isn't a reason to stop eating fake meat, of course, but something to keep in the back of your mind.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: Tofurky and other faux meats.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:38 am

FireGryphon wrote:
The spices and flavorings are what make these vegetarian or vegan foods taste like meat. That is, they are seasoned the way the meat dishes they are trying to emulate are usually seasoned. Sometimes the texture is close, but it's never quite right, the way watching a little league game is fun, but not the same as a professional Baseball game.

I agree with JBI that often the foods could stand on their own better than as fake meats. Many of the recipes are clever and quite delicious in their own right.

A potential problem with the whole fake meat thing is that all of the spices they heap into some products to try and emulate the flavor of beef can wreak havoc on your stomach if you're susceptible to things like acid reflux or similar conditions. I mean, meat can be eaten plain and still taste like meat, but fake meat sometimes has to be spiced heavily to get the same taste. This isn't a reason to stop eating fake meat, of course, but something to keep in the back of your mind.

Thanks for the advice. I think you and JBI may be right about some of the mock meats do deserve to be on there own instead of trying to be meat. I have had vegetarian but not vegan foods before that do taste quite good, but some of them had eggs and/or cheese in them.
 
ludi
Darth Gerbil
Posts: 7777
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:47 pm
Location: Sunny Colorado front range

Re: Tofurky and other faux meats.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:43 am

just brew it! wrote:
It really annoys me how much regular grocery chains mark up tofu. At the Asian markets around here it's like a buck and a quarter for a block of it. At the big chain stores, you're lucky if you can find it for double that price. I guess they figure (correctly, it would seem) that a lot of people perceive it as some sort of exotic specialty item, and price it accordingly.

That might be, in part, because the grocery stores have to stock it as a specialty item and won't move as much. Whole ginger root is also ridiculously expensive at most grocery stores but you can pick up 10 pounds of it at the Asian market and still have change from a twenty. One of our favorite places to buy tofu is Pacific Ocean Marketplace (we have two in the Denver metro), because they prepare it onsite. Not only is it fresh, there's nothing like seeing a block of freshly-pressed soybean curd that's bigger than a picnic cooler. Viet Hoa and H-Mart are also good options here.

And, on topic: I don't like herbal teas that pretend to be fruit drinks, I don't like health foods that pretend to be deserts, and I don't like the idea of tofu (or anything else) pretending to be meat. Mind you, I've enjoyed a portabello mushroom burger before, but it tasted like sauteed mushrooms and I like mushrooms.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: Tofurky and other faux meats.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:45 am

OK after reading some more about Tofurky, I'm going to buy a roast and use my slow cooker to prepare it with some veggies. Any good ideas on what to use for a basting liquid to baste the roast with? I would like to make something from dark beer or dark rum, but I can't have booze in my apartment(HUD rules). Maybe cook it at my dad's place?

Perhaps I could use mushroom sauce or broth instead?
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: Tofurky and other faux meats.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:55 pm

I brought some Simply Truth meatless patties last night from Ruler Foods, and had a patty this morning. While a bit dense, it does taste like meat and way better then the cheapo frozen bulk hamburgers I used to buy.

Come to think of it, its probably isn't all that hard to produce a meatless product that is better tasting then cheapo frozen bulk hamburgers if a food company or cook puts some effort into it.
 
odizzido
Gerbil Team Leader
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 6:10 am

Re: Tofurky and other faux meats.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:04 pm

whm1974 wrote:
I brought some Simply Truth meatless patties last night from Ruler Foods, and had a patty this morning. While a bit dense, it does taste like meat and way better then the cheapo frozen bulk hamburgers I used to buy.

Come to think of it, its probably isn't all that hard to produce a meatless product that is better tasting then cheapo frozen bulk hamburgers if a food company or cook puts some effort into it.


Cheap frozen burgers :\ you could beat those with an old gym sock. The sock is probably healthier too.
 
ludi
Darth Gerbil
Posts: 7777
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:47 pm
Location: Sunny Colorado front range

Re: Tofurky and other faux meats.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:36 pm

odizzido wrote:
Cheap frozen burgers :\ you could beat those with an old gym sock. The sock is probably healthier too.

What, you don't like "beef" made almost entirely of steam-rendered connective tissue and fatty bits?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: Tofurky and other faux meats.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:41 pm

ludi wrote:
odizzido wrote:
Cheap frozen burgers :\ you could beat those with an old gym sock. The sock is probably healthier too.

What, you don't like "beef" made almost entirely of steam-rendered connective tissue and fatty bits?

And plus whatever the filler in it is made from. I also have a strong dislike of McDonald's hamburgers as well.
 
BIF
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2275
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 7:41 pm

Re: Tofurky and other faux meats.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:07 pm

I love tofu on occasion. It's blandly delicious in salads, soups, as a side dish, or as a main course. As you say, it takes on the flavor of whatever you're cooking with it. It works well in stir fry, and I think I even saw some desert recipes for it once. It's truly versatile.

I have noticed that society today seems all or nothing on definitions. Meat eating especially among them. You can't be one thing if you're only partly that thing. If you enjoy a Little Debbie cake now and again, then you can't be Paleo. If you like real bacon, real eggs, and a little real cheese at Sunday brunch, then you can't be Vegan/Vegetarian; nevermind the other six days of the week.

I just eat what I want, when I want it. Well, within reason. That means that I don't have to eat meat every day. It also means that I don't have to give up meat for all time, either. What do you call that? Part time Vegan? Part time Meatologist?

By the way, if you guys are successful here, I might try that tofurkey. But never on Thanksgiving. I've just gotta be me. :P

I guess it helps that I love fruits and vegetables as much as I appreciate a thick chargrilled steak, a slab of ribs, or a salmon filet, seared over real fire. I'm thankful that I can be flexible.

Anyway, that's my rant. :lol:
 
Topinio
Graphmaster Gerbil
Posts: 1373
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:28 am
Location: London

Re: Tofurky and other faux meats.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:29 pm

BIF wrote:
I have noticed that society today seems all or nothing on definitions. Meat eating especially among them. You can't be one thing if you're only partly that thing. If you enjoy a Little Debbie cake now and again, then you can't be Paleo. If you like real bacon, real eggs, and a little real cheese at Sunday brunch, then you can't be Vegan/Vegetarian; nevermind the other six days of the week.

I just eat what I want, when I want it. Well, within reason. That means that I don't have to eat meat every day. It also means that I don't have to give up meat for all time, either. What do you call that? Part time Vegan? Part time Meatologist?

Um, omnivore? Or, it has no name because it doesn't need a definition, there's no particular requirements or ways it affects others around you.

However, to the rest of this quoted section of your post, IMO some things you either are, or you aren't. E.g. #1 pregnant. E.g. #2 vegetarian or vegan. E.g. #3 teetotal. E.g. #4 straight. E.g. #5 American.

There's a condition of being something which is testable (which in some cases is defined by not doing something (e.g.'s #2, #3, #4)) and can produce an answer which is either yes or no.

Like, you eat meat sometimes and have non-meat days: that's not vegan for a day, meat eater for a day, vegetarian for a day, pescaterian the next and so on because some of those are defined by not eating (set of things) as a committment for time and future time.

Not having a beer on Monday and Wednesday doesn't make one teetotal, if one drinks beer some other days of the week. It doesn't flip-flop...
Desktop: E3-1270 v5, X11SAT-F, 32GB, RX Vega 56, 250GB BX100, 2TB Ultrastar, Xonar DGX, XL2730Z + G2420HDB
HTPC: i5-2500K, DH67GD, 6GB, GT 1030 SC, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Barracuda, Xonar DX
Laptop: MacBook6,1
 
BIF
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Posts: 2275
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 7:41 pm

Re: Tofurky and other faux meats.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:36 pm

So you're saying I'm just "me". I can live with that! 8)
 
whm1974
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author
Posts: 5761
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:29 am

Re: Tofurky and other faux meats.

Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:49 pm

Topinio wrote:
BIF wrote:
I have noticed that society today seems all or nothing on definitions. Meat eating especially among them. You can't be one thing if you're only partly that thing. If you enjoy a Little Debbie cake now and again, then you can't be Paleo. If you like real bacon, real eggs, and a little real cheese at Sunday brunch, then you can't be Vegan/Vegetarian; nevermind the other six days of the week.

I just eat what I want, when I want it. Well, within reason. That means that I don't have to eat meat every day. It also means that I don't have to give up meat for all time, either. What do you call that? Part time Vegan? Part time Meatologist?

Um, omnivore? Or, it has no name because it doesn't need a definition, there's no particular requirements or ways it affects others around you.

However, to the rest of this quoted section of your post, IMO some things you either are, or you aren't. E.g. #1 pregnant. E.g. #2 vegetarian or vegan. E.g. #3 teetotal. E.g. #4 straight. E.g. #5 American.

There's a condition of being something which is testable (which in some cases is defined by not doing something (e.g.'s #2, #3, #4)) and can produce an answer which is either yes or no.

Like, you eat meat sometimes and have non-meat days: that's not vegan for a day, meat eater for a day, vegetarian for a day, pescaterian the next and so on because some of those are defined by not eating (set of things) as a committment for time and future time.

Not having a beer on Monday and Wednesday doesn't make one teetotal, if one drinks beer some other days of the week. It doesn't flip-flop...

Omnivore fits real perfectly as that is what we really are. Since the birth of "Humans". both modern and archaic, we eaten anything that what was available and edible, or what could be made edible by primitive forms of "food processing" such as cutting, pounding, and cooking.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests