Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Other folks falling asleep when talking computers.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:26 pm

OK I go to mental help group every Tuesday and today we broke up into smaller groups with me "starting" a group on beginning computer users with two people taking intro to computers classes.

There were five of us in the group with me "leading" as the rest of group basically barely knew computers. Three of us were doing most of the talking with the last two trying to understand what we was talking about.

One older lady ended up falling asleep... :o

If I knew I was going help others learn about computers today I would have brought my laptop in with beginners stuff already prepared in advance... :oops:

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Other folks falling asleep when talking computers.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:35 pm

Are you sure you were starting at a basic enough level? If it all sounds like techno-babble I could imagine it being hard for a novice to stay awake.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:41 pm

The beginning classes I've seen are mind bogglingly simple stuff. Like how to click things.

Also for some reason when people get in front of a computer things get weird. If a box pops up and only said, "click ok" with a button that said okay, people will still ask for confirmation on what they're supposed to do.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:47 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Are you sure you were starting at a basic enough level? If it all sounds like techno-babble I could imagine it being hard for a novice to stay awake.

Yeah this sort of thing along with people's eyes glazing over while talking was fairly common enough during the late 90's and early 2000's that I had to put in considerable effort to prevent causing this. And since I've using computers since I was 9 years old and Im fairly geeky and technical that I struggle with explaining the most basic concepts to folks who know zilch.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:15 pm

I don't talk about tech stuff with non-techie people. There's plenty of other stuff to talk about and you can always find something in common with someone else. Common interests (even if theirs far outstrips yours) make for much more interesting conversations. I can get my geek on online.

It's to the point I don't even talk about technical points with my wife beyond telling her to check for a software update on her phone. Work related stuff rarely gets beyond the domain level, even if that. "I'm happy that fixed a bug" or "my app can now do this" are generally all the detail anybody ever wants. "My PC won't power-on/boot/run a specific app because this is broken/has gone bad/needs upgraded" is about as far as we get. :lol:

edit: just got this in some sort of corporate blast email: "if you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough." I don't think that's always true, and I don't think it's the case here, but it's an interesting way to make you check your own knowledge.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:23 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I don't talk about tech stuff with non-techie people. There's plenty of other stuff to talk about and you can always find something in common with someone else. Common interests (even if theirs far outstrips yours) make for much more interesting conversations. I can get my geek on online.

It's to the point I don't even talk about technical points with my wife beyond telling her to check for a software update on her phone. Work related stuff rarely gets beyond the domain level, even if that. "I'm happy that fixed a bug" or "my app can now do this" are generally all the detail anybody ever wants. "My PC won't power-on/boot/run a specific app because this is broken/has gone bad/needs upgraded" is about as far as we get. :lol:

edit: just got this in some sort of corporate blast email: "if you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough." I don't think that's always true, and I don't think it's the case here, but it's an interesting way to make you check your own knowledge.

I had to explain computer stuff to folks who don't even know the most basic concepts when they do ask me questions.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:34 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

I found that I really struggle with those who never used a computer before to explain simple questions people have asked me and I don't have a computer in front of me to show them what I'm talking about.

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:00 pm

Other folks falling asleep when talking about a subject that does not interest them.

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:07 pm

whm1974 wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

I found that I really struggle with those who never used a computer before to explain simple questions people have asked me and I don't have a computer in front of me to show them what I'm talking about.

I'm not as bad as "Nick Burns" but i do often have to tell my family members to "MOVE" when I lose patience trying to help them through the occasional PC hang ups. I know, I know, I should be a better teacher...
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:19 pm

G8torbyte wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

I'm not as bad as "Nick Burns" but i do often have to tell my family members to "MOVE" when I lose patience trying to help them through the occasional PC hang ups. I know, I know, I should be a better teacher...

I have to tell them to "Let me sit in the chair and and watch me show you how you do this". Much nicer... :D

Acidicheartburn
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:37 pm

G8torbyte wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

TIL I'm Nick Burns when helping my father with computer issues.

xgsound
Gerbil First Class

Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:51 pm

A great way to teach is create interest. Here is a tool I successfully used to teach many otherwise uninterested people many rudiments of computers.
Back when "Printshop Deluxe" version 10 was around, i found than people were interested enough in making custom (their name on it) cards, custom holiday invites, and for sale signs to learn a few things about computers. The latest windows I can force it on is win7 32 bit and I saved an old rig to still use it..
The idea is bring a laptop as you said and a quick printer. Have them create and print custom birthday cards for friends and relatives or other personal projects. They'll be knocking you out of the way to do their project. Ha ha.
If there is a more modern similar application, I don't know of it. It allowed Headlines, text boxes, cartoons, shaped pictures, edited pictures, and all could be moved all over easily.
If anyone has suggestions for a current program like it, please advise.

Hope this helps - education is a wonderful thing to watch happen.

Jim

Wirko
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:59 pm

You obviously provided some mental help to the elderly lady. She wouldn't have fallen asleep if she had been anxious or worried.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:06 pm

xgsound wrote:
A great way to teach is create interest. Here is a tool I successfully used to teach many otherwise uninterested people many rudiments of computers.
Back when "Printshop Deluxe" version 10 was around, i found than people were interested enough in making custom (their name on it) cards, custom holiday invites, and for sale signs to learn a few things about computers. The latest windows I can force it on is win7 32 bit and I saved an old rig to still use it..
The idea is bring a laptop as you said and a quick printer. Have them create and print custom birthday cards for friends and relatives or other personal projects. They'll be knocking you out of the way to do their project. Ha ha.
If there is a more modern similar application, I don't know of it. It allowed Headlines, text boxes, cartoons, shaped pictures, edited pictures, and all could be moved all over easily.
If anyone has suggestions for a current program like it, please advise.

Hope this helps - education is a wonderful thing to watch happen.

Jim

Good idea. I try to find other useful programs that people will want to learn.

Wirko wrote:
You obviously provided some mental help to the elderly lady. She wouldn't have fallen asleep if she had been anxious or worried.

To be fair, maybe she didn't get enough sleep the night before. Been there done that.

Kretschmer
Gerbil XP

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:32 pm

You probably mentioned Linux. Never mention Linux.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:37 pm

Kretschmer wrote:

Lick my feet clean. And yes I'm using this as an sneaky way to promote Linux. as well :D

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:54 pm

Kretschmer wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Yes, I'm using this as an annoying way to promote Linux. as well :D
https://plenteousveg.com/how-to-tell-pe ... are-vegan/
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:58 pm

Unless you're also willing to go to their homes to install Linux for them gratis, and provide free tech support in perpetuity (since their grand-nephew who "knows computers" will just ask them why they didn't buy a new Windows 10 PC), you're not doing them any favors.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:01 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Unless you're also willing to go to their homes to install Linux for them gratis, and provide free tech support in perpetuity (since their grand-nephew who "knows computers" will just ask them why they didn't buy a new Windows 10 PC), you're not doing them any favors.

At this stage I just was using both Linux and Windows as examples. And IIRC I even mentioned MacOS.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:11 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I don't talk about tech stuff with non-techie people. There's plenty of other stuff to talk about and you can always find something in common with someone else.
Years ago, one of my mentors asked: "What does it mean to be a chemical engineer? It means that when you're around other engineers, you can talk chemistry and when you're around chemists, you can talk engineering. For everyone else, talk about the weather."
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:20 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
I don't talk about tech stuff with non-techie people. There's plenty of other stuff to talk about and you can always find something in common with someone else.
I don't remember whether it was Dr. John P. O'Connell or Dr. Spyros Svoronos that asked: "What does it mean to be a chemical engineer? It means that when you're around other engineers, you can talk chemistry and when you're around chemists, you can talk engineering. For everyone else, talk about the weather."

It seems that issues with folks falling asleep or having their eyes glaze over doesn't only happen to computer geeks. It is a general problem and a common experience for all types of techies in every field. :o

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:48 pm

It is. If you are getting asked questions (and you are), that's one thing. You can only deal with what you're asked, and if someone has gone to you for help that's a good thing because they respect your opinion.

But try making a point of it to talk about other stuff. Look for common ground. :)
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:05 pm

whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

At this stage I just was using both Linux and Windows as examples. And IIRC I even mentioned MacOS.

OK, that seems reasonable. (Depending on how it was presented, of course.)

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:11 pm

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

OK, that seems reasonable. (Depending on how it was presented, of course.)

I did inform them that I have a hard time explaining computers to those who don't use them and that I use Linux and haven't Windows used for three years now, but I will help as much as I can given that we didn't have a computer in front of us to use. I had to think a bit to remember what drive letters were.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:38 am

Back earlier this year when the groups had a computer room for the clients to use(now an office) I was talking to another client about computers and he was shocked to discover that you are not limited to just Windows and MacOS after I told him I was using Linux only. He also ended up with a funny look on his face after I mention that I've been building my computers since 2000.

I find it a bit strange to find out that people are not aware that you can build your own rigs if desired. :o

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:36 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Back earlier this year when the groups had a computer room for the clients to use(now an office) I was talking to another client about computers and he was shocked to discover that you are not limited to just Windows and MacOS after I told him I was using Linux only. He also ended up with a funny look on his face after I mention that I've been building my computers since 2000.

I find it a bit strange to find out that people are not aware that you can build your own rigs if desired. :o

People who hang out on this forum are not representative of the general public.

Most users access the internet through their phone; maybe they also have a laptop (or, less likely these days, a desktop). At work the IT person handed them a laptop the day they started, or brought a desktop system to their desk and hooked it up for them. On a day-to-day basis, they probably don't do anything more technical than plugging a thumbdrive into a USB port.

Years ago when my oldest daughter was in college, her DVD drive died. The next time she was home from school I handed her a spare and told her to call if she had any questions about how to install it (she didn't). Apparently her roommate freaked out when she swapped the drive though. She says the conversation went something like:

"WTF are you doing? You can't take that apart, you'll break it or electrocute yourself!"

"Don't worry, I've got this."

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:51 pm

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

People who hang out on this forum are not representative of the general public.

Most users access the internet through their phone; maybe they also have a laptop (or, less likely these days, a desktop). At work the IT person handed them a laptop the day they started, or brought a desktop system to their desk and hooked it up for them. On a day-to-day basis, they probably don't do anything more technical than plugging a thumbdrive into a USB port.

Years ago when my oldest daughter was in college, her DVD drive died. The next time she was home from school I handed her a spare and told her to call if she had any questions about how to install it (she didn't). Apparently her roommate freaked out when she swapped the drive though. She says the conversation went something like:

"WTF are you doing? You can't take that apart, you'll break it or electrocute yourself!"

"Don't worry, I've got this."

That is only true if your daughter was working on the PSU, and that wouldn't even apply if she has the knowledge and tools required to safely to work on them. I don't and I'm well aware that PSUs are basically "black boxes" and not meant for end users to open and work on in the first place.

Edit: I have gotten into heated arguments with "expert" PC builders about that last bit. :roll: I make it a habit of warning people when they ask questions me questions on how to build computers about opening up and working on PSUs. Folks have died doing that. :o That is why I warn first.

farmpuma
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:54 am

I'd like to see your basis for the "people have died doing that." I'm not saying it is impossible to die poking around in a computer PSU that is disconnected from the AC mains. I'm just saying it's highly unlikely many, if any have ever died this way.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:15 am

farmpuma wrote:
I'd like to see your basis for the "people have died doing that." I'm not saying it is impossible to die poking around in a computer PSU that is disconnected from the AC mains. I'm just saying it's highly unlikely many, if any have ever died this way.

The last time I heard about that was a few years ago when some teenager open up a PSU to get a fan out. It was on Yahoo News IIRC.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:13 am

whm1974 wrote:
Yahoo News

Fake news! :lol: