Personal computing discussed

Moderators: Captain Ned, emkubed

meerkt
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Details on who redeemed Amazon GC code?

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:54 pm

If you buy and hand out an Amazon eGiftcard, after it's used, is it possible to see details on who used it?

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Details on who redeemed Amazon GC code?

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:04 pm

Uhm....why? Are you trying to resolve a theft?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:08 pm

If so, just about everyone who does gift cards has "not liable for cards that are lost or stolen" somewhere in the fine print.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:40 pm

Redocbew wrote:
If so, just about everyone who does gift cards has "not liable for cards that are lost or stolen" somewhere in the fine print.

They'll also give you a small gift receipt so the person who receives it could get it replaced in the event that it's lost. If it's been redeemed, I think you're hosed.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

meerkt
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:47 pm

Just a thought about its use as a potentially semi-anonymous medium of exchange.

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:08 pm

Who is "you?"

If it is a concerned Aunt who doesn't like the Satanism in Harry Potter, you're safe.

If it is anyone else, like the administration at Amazon or any aspect of the Government, you are not safe. You might initially *seem* safe, but I assure you that you are not.

Capisce?

meerkt
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:18 pm

"You" is any random fella who has an Amazon account and can buy GCs, and give them to other random someones.

The government doesn't give out Amazon GCs nor accepts them. I think?
And yes, it is indeed highly likely that Amazon knows who's used a certain GC code. :)

It's just funny that a specific store's GC is a sort of semi-global form of currency.
Is there anything comparable which isn't local to specific countries?

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:29 pm

meerkt wrote:
"You" is any random fella who has an Amazon account and can buy GCs, and give them to other random someones.

The government doesn't give out Amazon GCs nor accepts them. I think?

...But yet they can be very interested in the movement of currency and its close analogs...

meerkt wrote:
And yes, it is indeed highly likely that Amazon knows who used a certain GC code

You jest, but if you are worried about "random" people1 knowing what "random" people2 are doing with gift cards, I'm just saying that while your aunt won't call Amazon and lie saying "by golly, I didn't even buy that gift card and I'm going to chargeback unless you revoke it", "random" people1 are actually quite good at doing "random" things just like that. If they are truly "random", hey, they might not even be lying...

Sure, maybe Amazon won't ever say who or what, but are you worried more about that sort of privacy from "random" people1 or having your account locked (and who knows what else) because you've been implicated in fraud?

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:41 pm

I wouldn't necessarily assume they're global. A lot of gift cards are country-specific. A few years back I bought iTunes gift cards as gifts for some of my younger relatives and discovered iTunes cards bought in the US couldn't be used in Canada (and vice versa). On the other hand, my Starbucks stored-value card works in both countries; I've never tried using it outside North America (I'm also not clear on how much they account for exchange rates). But it's not like money orders and traveler's checks are a new thing; heck, the Medicis offered letters of credit for travelers in the 15th Century.

DancinJack
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:49 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
I wouldn't necessarily assume they're global. A lot of gift cards are country-specific. A few years back I bought iTunes gift cards as gifts for some of my younger relatives and discovered iTunes cards bought in the US couldn't be used in Canada (and vice versa). On the other hand, my Starbucks stored-value card works in both countries; I've never tried using it outside North America (I'm also not clear on how much they account for exchange rates). But it's not like money orders and traveler's checks are a new thing; heck, the Medicis offered letters of credit for travelers in the 15th Century.

There are definitely "generic" VISA gift cards and the like. However, the usability really is determined by the payment processor that the place of business you're buying from uses. There are some that can be used across country lines, and some that can't. It just depends. A lot of places don't accept certain cards from certain places for certain reasons. There are so many things that can disqualify a card for purchase it's crazy (I helped build an online payment system for my last company or I would have no idea to the extent).
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

meerkt
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:25 pm

Glorious wrote:
implicated in fraud?
What fraud?

UberGerbil wrote:
I wouldn't necessarily assume they're global.
Global in the sense that a lot of people around the world use the US Amazon site.

And from the sender side, I don't know how it is in large-scale, but in small-scale, generating Amazon GC codes is much easier than generating precharged credit cards. If credit cards can at all be digital only.